IMDb > "Shaun the Sheep" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Shaun the Sheep"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Shaun the Sheep" More at IMDbPro »

Finally the BBC has produced something of worth!

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
26 April 2007

'Shaun the Sheep' is one of the few shows in the BBC that makes you not grudge forking out for a TV license. It is hilarious, adorable and far too good for the children it is clearly aimed at. The series of five-minute episodes sees Shaun, a character from the 'Wallace and Gromit' film 'A Close Shave', as he and other farm yard friends (including his fellow sheep, the farm dog and the Naughty Pigs) get into various escapades. Each episode is witty and lovingly put together in a manner that would appeal to both the very young and grown adults.

I definitely recommend this to all, regardless of whether you're a 'Wallace and Gromit' fan or not. It's also worth investing in when it finally goes to DVD.

One of my favourite TV series!

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
7 June 2007

Genre: Plasticene TV series with no dialogue and a sheep from the third "Wallace And Gromit".

My thoughts: There are lots and lots of good (and not so good) episodes. This series is SO CUTE AND FUNNY AND FUN! I don't know if I should say this but I actually prefer this to any of the "Wallace And Gromit" films!!!!! :O :O The ones I don't like are the episodes with the pigs, they bully Shaun WAY too much. There is also an episode called "Mountains Out Of Molehills" which I don't like very much either. My favourite episode is where the farmer and sheep do some painting. The ones with the chicks is my 2nd favourite, SO CUTE! The chicks are just yellow blobs with beaks AAAWWWWWW!! :) :).

Who I recommend it to: Aardman fans, plasticene fans and Shaun the sheep fans! Enjoy!

Who I DON'T recommend it to: People who are not interested in animation, people who do not have a good sense of humour and grumpy people.

What happens: In every episode, Shaun has some funny, but clever ideas up his wool, some to sort out big, and some to sort out little problems...

How can anyone not like Shaun?!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
14 August 2009

Hmmm...this is a series created by Aardman--the same folks who brought us Wallace & Gromit as well as the film CHICKEN RUN. So, you have to assume from the onset that "Shaun the Sheep" will be great and appeal to both adults and kids alike...and you'd be absolutely right. Without using words, the film makers are able to create such personality in the characters--from the dog to the many sheep to the farmer to the other animals on the farm. It's amazing how adorable and wonderful they all are. But, this is not just a show based on cute stop-motion characters. In addition, the wonderful sense of humor and pacing is exactly what you'd expect from these folks. Clever, well-written and state of the art--what's not to like about Shaun and his pals?!

A delight for children - and adults too!

Author: royjaruk-1 from United States
22 March 2007

The latest effort from Aardman Studios, this series is perfect for anyone to watch. There is no dialogue; it's all in the noises and expressions, which need no words to convey the thoughts and actions of the characters.

Shaun the Sheep is a skinny little (presumably) male sheep who is the brains of his flock. The only other sheep to have a name is Timmy, the lone lamb; but other recognizable sheep are Timmy's Mum (identifiable by the three curls on her head) and Shirley, who is so fat she has trouble passing through doors.

The other recurring characters include The Farmer, who looks eerily like a claymation version of Bill Oddie from The Goodies comedy troupe; The Dog, who looks like Gromit's country cousin and is as smart and resourceful; The Bull, who is a fine fellow unless he sees red; and The Pigs, three pigs who live in a pigsty next to the sheep meadow and carry on a feud with the sheep. They all have their quirks (for example, The Dog has his own iPod and cellphone and uses them), and they quickly endear themselves to viewers. The animals are sophisticated, while The Farmer is oblivious to the goings-on right under his nose. Therein lies the fun.

The plots of these 5 minute shorts are simple and fun. Sheep playing soccer with a cabbage intended for the Pigs as a ball, with The Dog as the referee complete with the red card. The sheep deciding they want pizza for dinner, with Shaun and two others going into town after it. The Farmer updating his stereo system, dumping his old records, turntable and such into a junk pile in the meadow (which the sheep treat like the scrapheap from Junkyard Wars in a number of episodes), and the sheep turning the sheepfold into a disco. The sheep taking exception to going through a dip bath made with cold water. Simple plots, but brilliantly executed; with something for the preschool crowd AND their parents.

At present, you can only find Shaun the Sheep on download sites. The series is so new, it has not gone to DVD yet. You'll want the DVD when it comes out, of course. But in the meantime, it's worth the effort to find and download the eps (about 20, half of the first series, are available) and watch them on a homemade DVD. Trust me; you won't be wasting your time. They're the best thing to come out of the claymation community since Wallace and Gromit!

Sheeptastic

Author: jessnet from United Kingdom
17 March 2007

Another Aardman classic, two levels of humour (kids and parents), well written. Basically a farm with various animals, Shaun from the title name and a flock of sheep (including Shirley, an obese lump with a woolly coat that hides just about anything). Bitzer the dog (a mongrel, bitzer this, bitzer that) who wears a beany cap while starting the day with a basket of food and a flask of coffee, the rude pigs who try to make Shauns life difficult, and finally the farmer who wears bottle lens glasses, unable to perceive that Shaun and Bitzer actually run the farm.

Will appeal to most as no speech other than the usual bleats, woofs and "huh's" from the bottle lens glasses wearing farmer. Animation is up to the usual Aardman plasticene standards. Add to this a catchy theme tune and most will be pleased by these 5 minute delights.

Spoof on Saturday Night Fever an absolute howl and the episode where the sheep go out for a pizza is classic, recommended viewing for all.

The best show on TV

Author: timmytoo2001-2 from United Kingdom
11 December 2009

I only discovered Shaun the Sheep last week and have recorded and watched every episode since then-it is shown twice every day on BBC in back to back episodes. It is just the most wonderfully entertaining show. It is beautifully written, the acting (!) is excellent and the attention to detail and the sheer observation is beyond belief. There is so much going on in each scene that you really have to concentrate all the time or you miss something!. It is only show on TV at the moment (and I include terrestrial and satellite in that) which gives me so many laugh out loud moments. I don't know whether or not it appeals to children but it certainly appeals to me- and I am 65 years old!. I echo another comment and should love to see a full-length film, or at least a version extended more that it's usual 5 minutes. Brilliant!.

Cute Fun for Everyone

Author: wdmrose from United States
9 September 2007

I never really liked Wallace and Gromit. No offense to the people who like it, which is many, I know, but I always found it boring. The only humor I found was in Gromit. So when I heard about this, I was less than excited. I thought it would be the same. Boy, was I wrong.

This show is very entertaining. It's very cute and all the animals have unique personalities. The lack of dialogue adds to the show. Each character is exspressive, so dialogue would be a waste.

Each plot is five minutes long and deals with schemes made up by Shaun. Each episode is unique, however, not all are interesting. The first two I saw on Disney Channel made me feel like I was watching Wallace and Gromit again. But as I saw more, I really got into it. It's refreshing after watching cheesy punch lines or the foul-mouthed, sex oriented jokes of other stations. This can be enjoyed by anyone.

I recommend this to anyone who likes claymation, Wallace and Gromit, or just everyone who likes some good natured fun. If you're someone who bad-mouths anything that doesn't drop an f-bomb every ten seconds, then stay away.

Yet another triumph from Aardman studios!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
19 May 2010

Having grown up with all 3 of the Wallace and Gromit shorts and still loving them to death(liked the movie and Matter of Loaf and Death as well), and having being enormously entertained by Chicken Run and Creature Comforts, I heard of Shaun the Sheep. I wasn't sure whether I would like it, but seeing that Aardman had impressed me so much already, I said to myself why not? So I tuned in and I am hooked! Although I am 18, Shaun the Sheep is everything a children's show should be, something that adults may like as well, and is constantly cute, funny and charming. As I have said already, it is yet another triumph from Aardman Studios.

Shaun the Sheep looks absolutely wonderful. All the characters are so well-modelled, and the backgrounds are so colourful and beautiful. The theme tune is a delight as well, it has the same appeal as Wallace and Gromit, it is a simple but memorable and catchy tune that will have you whistling for a long while afterwards. Shaun the Sheep does not have any dialogue, but that is not a bad thing at all. They chose to convey the charm through the characters and the stories, and in my opinion that was exactly the right decision. Don't get me wrong, I love dialogue in kids' shows but this is a sort of show that works better without it.

The characters are really sweet and have interesting and unique personalities. I absolutely adore Shaun, I loved him in A Close Shave, now that he is the main focus here he is even better. He is such an appealing and adorable character, he won my heart right away, and he is funny as well, always having something up his wool. I love the Farmer as well, I love how oblivious he is to the animals' goings-on. The Dog Bitzer is really smart and resourceful very like Gromit(who still makes me laugh with his priceless facial expressions), the bull is quite harmless until he sees red, and the pigs while they do bully Shaun too much have their likability too. Even the chicks were really cute. The stories of every episode are only 5-10 minutes long, but what I love about them are their simplicity and sense of fun. The spoof on Saturday Night Fever was hilarious, and the episode when the sheep go out for a pizza is such a classic it ranks among my favourite Shaun the Sheep episodes.

Overall, a real triumph for Aardman. As much as I love Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the Sheep is a classic and almost surpasses it, and that was not an easy feat at all considering that the Wallace and Gromit shorts are real jewels in the crown. 10/10 Bethany Cox

This farm is getting a wake up call.

Author: StarWars93 from United States
7 August 2007

Let me just say, I wasn't really a fan of claymation. I love Shrek, as you can tell. But, once I heard of this show, I thought differently.

I live in the U.S, so the show didn't premiere for me until July 8th, my brother and sister's birthday. I like little things about animals and this show looked interesting. I watched it and I was very entertained. The stories are good, the characters are funny(especially Shaun). I watch it on Disney Channel every Sunday at 8:55 pm.

I just two problems. My first problem is they should advertise this with video games or toys or something. That would draw a lot of attention to the show. My other problem is it needs to be at least 30 minutes long. I would love to see a FULL T.V show of Shaun The Sheep.

But, despite those two absurd problems I have, the show is great. I recommend it to everyone.

An instant classic of a series

Author: webberrules from Canberra, Australia
19 November 2014

Shaun the Sheep is one of the best spin-off animated series out there. It has fantastic animation, memorable characters, witty humour and excellent episode writing.

The major intricacy is this series is completely devoid of dialogue which means we can communicate with the characters with their expressions, as well as the sounds that they make.

It also has a wonderful cast of characters like Timmy, his mother, the Naughty Pigs, Shirley, The Farmer and Bitzer. All of them are instantly likable.

Another good thing about this series, like The Simpsons, is that it has humour that can balance what appeals to a child and an adult, completely devoid of humour clichés such as sugar-coating some aspects in a certain show for young children and children throwing F-bombs in a show for adults.

I also look forward to the upcoming movie based on this series of the same name.