IMDb > Storm Cell (2008) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Storm Cell (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Wow... just.... wow...

Author: BMovieMogul from United States
30 April 2008

This one hurt. And I'm usually a sucker for really bad Twister ripoffs made for cable. We've seen this plot before, twice. Estranged parent-child relationship, because said parent is too devoted to chasing that big storm. Parent is obsessed with storms because of a tragedy in their childhood. Parent predicts The Big One will hit right where estranged child lives. Child doesn't believe them. Child has has several tense emo moments with parent. Big tornado predictably hits, key characters survive, and everyone is happy. See "Devil Winds" and "Tornado Warning" for this by -the-numbers plot as well. Amusingly, they use global warming for an excuse to "move" Tornado Alley to the pacific northwest so they could shoot cheaply in Vancouver. As expected, the tornado effects are lackluster. The CGI crew just rendered the same tornado for every scene. I think what really got to me was the darkness of the movie. By that I do not mean a grim undertone to the story... but rather how literally dark the image was throughout. I spent a lot of time straining to make out various details like character faces and locales. The environment around a tornado can be very dark, but this was done throughout the movie. I can only recommend this to people who didn't think it could get any worse than Atomic Twister.

just about the stupidest movie ever

Author: Jenna92-1 from United States
5 August 2008

I'm a storm chaser, which means I'm usually avid for any sort of storm-disaster movie, no matter how stupid. But this one not only wasted the fifteen minutes I spent watching it, it's compelling me to waste yet more time writing this review. That's how strongly I feel about it.

In this day and age, with so many weather websites available, there's no excuse whatsoever for a writer not to go see what a tornado looks like on radar--clue: It's not a hurricane! And FYI, storms do not growl. Chasers and storm fans and TV watchers, oh my, do yourself a favor and rent Twister again instead.

I Can't Even Laugh, This is So Horrible

Author: Kevin_J from MIchigan, USA
25 April 2008

The premise of this show is completely unrealistic. And it rips off other movies, such as "Twister" and really bad shows like "Night of the Twisters." Mimi Rogers basically plays the same character Helen Hunt played in "Twister"; someone who experienced a family death during a tornado when she was younger. Now she's obsessed with storms. But she has to prove "the big one" is coming.

Plus, the science is in no way based on fact. Tornado Alley CAN NOT "move" to Seattle. Where were the fact checkers for this show? But what should one expect - it IS "Lifetime" channel.

So watch something better. Like an old-fashioned test pattern.

Shoulda killed this dog before it was in the can . . .

Author: aerovian from Canada
23 February 2008

A very fifty-something-looking Mimi Rogers cast as a thirty-something college prof is just the FIRST of many absurd incongruities that make this film hard to stomach. Much of the script and action are so completely inane that suspending disbelief enough to enjoy the story for its timely dramatic premise is just not do-able. For example, we cut in one scene to the lead (Mimi Rogers') character's teenaged daughter sitting forlornly in front of her school, which -- despite its rather formidable-looking concrete and steel construction -- has just been torn to shreds by a not particularly strong tornado. Even though mom arrived minutes after the tornado hit (and had to evade a police roadblock to do so) the daughter -- who had, by the way, ignored an earlier cellphone message from weather-guru mom warning of the impending twister -- tears a strip off mom, apparently for not being there with her while the school was being torn apart ("Where were you? I was here by myself! I was sooooo embarrassed!")

Lame even by genre standards

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
17 January 2014

STORM CELL is a bad disaster movie even by TV movie standards. It stars Mimi Rogers (THE X-FILES) as a dedicated storm chaser who must fight against time to save her family from a series of super-powerful twisters that threaten to wreck much of middle America, yet the film fails to build on that premise at any point.

Due to budgetary constraints, no doubt, this film ends up more as a family drama than a disaster flick. Much is made of Rogers' obnoxious and stuck-up teenage daughter who keeps getting herself into peril, to the degree that I was hoping Rogers would simply cut her losses and forget about the dumb kid; no such luck.

Meanwhile, a few scenes show a twister wreaking havoc on some homesteads with the aid of some dodgy CGI. The two plots never gel, there's no plan on the part of the heroes, they just sort of amble from place to place and survive mainly through luck. It's all very boring and uninteresting; I expected something cheesier, and more entertaining, from this genre, but it's almost laid back in it's approach. Watch out for the great Michael Ironside in a cameo role.

Run for Your Life!

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
9 August 2012

About 30 years ago, eight-year-old Ryan Grantham (as "Little" April) and teenage sister Kristy Dinsmore (as "Little" Sean) are driving with their parents in Oklahoma during a terrible storm. A man foolishly stands on his truck and is struck down. They family stops and tries to save him, leading to even more tragedy… Presently, storm tracking professional Mimi Rogers (as "grown-up" April Saunders) specializes in the study of tornadoes and how to manage them safely. A single mom, Ms. Rogers has one daughter - pretty but bratty Elyse Levesque (as Dana). Ms. Levesque is rehearsing "Romeo and Juliet" at her high school when a storm hits, then blames her frantic mother for not arriving in time to provide comfort...

Somehow managing to refrain from slapping her ungrateful child, mother Rogers takes Levesque go to visit brother Robert Moloney (as "grown-up" Sean Saunders) in Seattle. Now a policeman, he lives with pregnant wife Tracy Trueman (as Molly). She's a good hostess. Rogers finds romance with local TV weatherman Andrew Airlie (as Travis Jones), an old college boyfriend. They have a secret. Levesque is attracted to new college boyfriend Ryan Kennedy (as Ryan Laswell), who likes his women willing and able - well, maybe not always willing. Naturally, a terrible "Storm Cell" threatens the entire cast...

This "Lifetime" TV-movie does not convince with the storm as a "monster" (complete with growling sound effects), which isn't used effectively with the surprise villain. You can see how it might have been better.

**** Storm Cell (3/19/08) Steven R. Monroe ~ Mimi Rogers, Elyse Levesque, Robert Moloney, Ryan Kennedy

Not bad at all

Author: girnun_101-732-494890 from Johannesburg, South Africa
11 July 2013

I liked "Storm Cell" a lot, it was emotional and i was glued to my TV while watching. Other movies of its genre have terrible and unrealistic effects, and besides the occasional unrealistic effects in this movie, it seemed real. Yet, its not always about the effects, and how good they are, because the acting in this movie was superb. A lot of emotions were shown and castes out well. I liked the beginning of the movie, it gave the movie a good opening. I felt that the cast were very suitable with their characters, Mimi Rogers did a great job as the mother, she was very understandable, but also gave the movie a good backbone. There was a specific type of mood in this movie, it was a very dull mood, but it was thrilling too, because you cant stop watching. There are some good syfy movies out there, but this one had the best acting out of all that i have seen in them. I recommend it to any 'end of the world' movie addicts, fans of Mimi Rogers, but mostly those who want to watch a nice action/drama!

Lifetime Tornado

Author: kai ringler from United States
8 July 2013

first off the teenage girl in this movie was so irrating and annoying the tornado should have taken her. with that being said the rest of the movie wasn't bad to watch at all, now everyone needs to watch this with a grain of salt because after seeing movie's like twister, and night of the twisters. how much more innonvative and new can you get. Mimi Rogers does an okay job with it.. there is some excellent tornado footage, and some characters that are worth caring about in this movie. there is some neat newsroom , weather related stuff that was cool to look at,, didn't care so much for the love interest stuff between the characters,, mainly what I liked was about the chase and how is everyone gonna find a way to get to safety,, find a shelter,, lowest level in you're home.. not a bad TV movie, right about average.

Not a disaster movie, just a disaster

Author: its_ridley from United States
9 December 2012

Bad acting, bad plot, bad special effects, bad science; this movie has it all. If it were worse it might qualify as "so bad it's good" but alas. One of the overarching problems of this movie was that it had so many subplots that it couldn't focus on any of them and constantly jumped between parts that had little or nothing to do with each other.

Much of the plot (and I use the term loosely) of this movie is ripped off from Twister, quite blatantly in at least two scenes. It somehow manages to make the elements from Twister into something almost silly. Of course this movie tries to explore the common plot of the parent ignoring her child by obsessing over work, but it doesn't even pull that off. Considering that April knows what is going on in a life-threatening situation, it would have been wrong of her not to become involved. Rather than an uninvolved parent who favors work over family, I got the impression of a concerned scientist surrounded by morons. Dana is not sympathetic at all, but comes across as overly demanding and bratty.

Then there is the old romance with Travis the meteorologist, which was just thrown in. The revelation that he is Dana's father could have made for an interesting plot, had it not come up at the most random point in the movie, been forgotten almost as soon as it was mentioned, and not brought up again until the very end. This was on top of the fact that it was so predictable that I initially dismissed the notion.

The earlier part of the movie, introduced after the death of April's parents, seems to have simply been thrown in and really has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Global warming is discussed in this early sequence but isn't mentioned again. Then there is the student who accompanies April on the chase. He is introduced as if he is going to be a major character, only to be never seen or mentioned again after April goes to Washington.

The special effects were cheesy. The CGI was about the same quality as you'll see in home-made animations. The tornadoes were basically the same funnel copied and pasted into different scenes. Some of the satellite images show clouds swirling to one of the most basic effects of photoshop. Movies more than a decade older than this easily surpass the effects of this one. The quality of science in Storm Cell makes Twister look like a documentary. Among other things, the tornadoes were spinning the wrong way, the titular "storm cell" looked more like a hurricane spinning the wrong way(except for one scene), and weather maps that didn't make any sense. Somewhere a meteorologist is crying. Strangely, the way people took cover was fairly accurate which leads me to suspect that the research for this movie did not go any further than a quick google search of tornado safety.

It is a bad movie in every area. The plot is fragmented into unrelated pieces, the acting and effects are cheap and cheesy, and the science is an unfunny joke.

If this movie was meant to send up a storm, then I am as angry as thunder and lightning!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 April 2012

Now I actually wanted to like this movie. I wasn't expecting much from Storm Cell, but no way was I expecting it to be this bad. It doesn't even look good, with wretched scenery, further disadvantaged by dull lighting, unfocused editing, awkward camera work and cheap tornado effects, even more cheapened by sound effects that are just as disturbing as those in the Gene Dietch Tom and Jerry cartoons. The story is predictable and utterly ridiculous, with scientific errors that make even the worst SyFy disaster movie credible in comparison(and their disaster movies are riddled with those), the script is unnatural in both dialogue and the delivery of it and cheesy to the point you get toothache from gritting your teeth and the characters are either annoying or uninteresting. The acting is also wooden, with Mimi Rogers looking uncomfortable with her hard-edged persona here coming across as forced. Overall, a terrible movie, not in about two months now have I been so angry watching a movie. People will say that they get novelty value, but most assets are so badly done and inexcusably that I couldn't find myself entertained. 0/10 Bethany Cox