IMDb > "Cavemen" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Cavemen"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Cavemen" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Actually, I kinda liked it...

Author: majormadmax from United States
2 October 2007

OK, my wife doesn't get the Geico commercials. She just doesn't see the humor in them. I, on the other hand, find them hilarious.

This show will garner the same response. I liked how it kept to the dry humor and urban sophistication of the commercials; but I am sure some will find it slow and unfunny. That's too bad, as TV could use a few more comedies that aren't gag-dependent. I enjoyed how no one questions the existence of cavemen in modern times, and how the are the target of prejudice but for no real reason. Each caveman is a unique character and functions in modern society better than the "saps" (homo sapiens).

I will be sad if this show doesn't survive, I for one will watch it ever week and if the series maintains the entertainment level of the first show than I am really looking forward to it. However, I get the feeling this one won't survive, which will be a shame...

crave the cave

Author: b-sidecure from United States
4 October 2007

I loved this show. The jokes were dry and cold. Such witty sarcasm and witty lines. A joy to see, i am very sad all these people are bringing such hate upon it, i guess thats what you get in a world where people think the American office is better than the British and wes anderson is not king. The cavemen show is not based on one joke as i've read so many reviewers say, i'm wondering if there was a bit of copy and pasting involved? It's based on a concept like everything else, the concept was spawned by a commercial, but who cares? It is truly entertaining and well written. I'm tired of critics desiring the same thing, and i wish audiences would be too.

Too much wry humor for you?

Author: Roger Hane from Outside Detroit, Michigan
4 October 2007

When I first saw the Geico commercials, I was floored by the quality of their writing and acting. When I heard they were being made into a sitcom I was very happy and filled with anticipation, unlike most everyone else. The public seemed bound and determined to hate this series before even seeing the first episode. Their reviews seem to be based on their preconceptions and not on what they actually saw.

What I saw left me ambivalent at first, but ultimately satisfied. The great news is, it's just like the commercial. In this case, that's a very good thing. The hipness and sardonic humor are all still there. I'll go out on a limb and say that this is better writing than the normal sitcom audience can appreciate. The actors pulled off their lines as beautifully as the commercial's actors.

The show comes with problems that will initially hamper it. The first episode we saw was obviously not the pilot, so we got no introductory development. It's going to be hard to tell these guys apart, but we'll get used to them over time. The stress these characters radiate in their struggle to cope with homo sapiens culture make them hard to warm up to. Especially Nick, who has a real chip on his shoulder (though this allows him to have the shows most bitingly cynical lines). And dare I say that the dry humor is too subtle and sophisticated to allow the series to succeed? Will enough people appreciate it? I doubt it.

Then there's the question of whether this series is really a parable about racial tensions and stereotyping. Its creators went to lengths to deny it, but its scenario makes it almost inevitable. Frankly, I think I saw some of it in the first episode. I sensed that the writers were ambivalent about whether to go in this direction and take on the issue. Their uncertainty came through in the script. We'll have to wait and see what they decided to do.

This series looks like it will fulfill my hopes, though everyone else seems to wish it would just go away. I'm already anticipating buying it on DVD when it's cancelled. If you people don't want it, then I'll gladly take it. Future generations will know that I knew a good thing when I saw it.

Very under-rated show..

Author: Alex from United States
18 May 2010

Last month, A co-worker of mine was watching this show on his computer during a lunch break. I remember hearing that it was one of the worst shows ever. However, it started becoming a daily thing during our lunch hour to watch an episode of "Cavemen". I found it to be quite humorous. It's seems as if you need to be halfway intelligent to understand the whole meaning of it, which is most likely why ABC had to can it. The characters are all very likable, and the storyline is pretty funny. You see, the average U.S citizen found the commercials commercials to be funny because they were short, and easy to understand. But when screen writers got together and created a show, it had to be more complex, and vivid. This show was simply never given a fair chance.

A Missed Opportunity

Author: (movarhola@aol.com) from Springfield, Virginia
13 November 2007

So why does this show suck? Unfortunately, that really is the only question, because there is no doubt that it does.

For those unfamiliar with the premise of the show, the doomed-to-be-shortlived series Cavemen focuses on a number of Neanderthals and their struggle to exist in modern day America and is based on the characters featured in a series of television ads for Geico Insurance. The concept is solid and there is every reason to think it could be executed successfully.

I had to think about it for awhile, but then the tagline from the commercials -- something to the effect of "We're not that much different from you" provided me with the key to the show's suckiness. Even though cavemen/Neanderthals are actually a different species than humanity, the title characters of this show, it turns out, are exactly the same as those of us who are boring jerks.

Maybe its my background as a game writer -- rather than a soulless, hack, committee-based writer from California -- but this show had so much potential, and none of it has been realized. To start with, the producers should have focused on the fun things that would make cavemen different from us.

What could conceivably be funny, for example, about giving them occupations like perpetual grad student and furniture store clerk, when they would have more compellingly been drawn to things like subterranean utility workers and guides at cave parks? Why would they play prosaic games like squash, when a whole episode could be devoted to them trying get hunting licenses to go after game with spears? A show like this could write itself, and it takes some willfully bad writing to make it quite so crappy and boring.

Another tiresome aspect of this show is an attempt to portray the cavemen as being subjected to a number of stereotypes associated with various human minorities. Yawn! This has been done so many times before, and never more drearily than this. And, as noted previously, Neanderthals really are a different species, so using them as a metaphor for racial stereotyping is both uncompelling and off the mark.

Responses are welcome, including those from anyone who wants to tell me why I'm wrong. I'd like to enjoy this show and am just sorry that I have thus far been unable to.

Michael J. Varhola, Skirmisher Online Gaming Magazine

I still crave the cave.

Author: theoriginalskinnyrinny from United States
16 July 2009

The back-story: I was one of many who though the insurance commercials were clever enough. I mean, anybody can put out a series of shots promising reassuring protection and peace of mind after a fender bender, so why not feature a televised debate when on of the panelist pointedly quips that he's "not 100% in love with your tone." Did I mention that this was speaking of a modern day Caveman? Shortly thereafter, I got a call from a Focus Group moderator asking if I'd like to come in and watch a couple of episodes of a new sitcom. As you can imagine, the sitcom turned out to be the first two episodes of Cavemen. I had heard rumors prior to the viewing that the initial pilot had the guys in some country club down south, so I was pleasantly surprised with the retooled version of Joel, Nick and Andy in San Diego. Being a focus group, we were presented with a "raw" version that still needed some fine tuning, but the core stories stayed the same. Shortly thereafter, the series debuted.

The real issue is that people were predisposed to already dislike the show. I was reminded of the simpler days of pro wrestling that featured little vignettes of someone coming to the company. Depending on whether he was a "good guy" (face) or "bad guy" (heel), you were ready to cheer or boo him before he made is first live appearance. At least...that's what they wanted you to do. Prior to the mid-late 90's of the WWF's Attitude Era, they heavily promoted a young man named Rocky Mavia as a Blue Chipper. You were suppose to just love this guy with his goofy ring attire and pineapple haircut and the exact opposite occurred. They shifted the hatred (a common chant was Die Rocky Die!) and he soon became one of the biggest superstars in the industry (as The Rock) and later movies (as Dwayne Johnson). I could see the same thing happening here. People wanted this show to fail.

The sad part is that I truly loved the dialog and the actors played well off each other. Nick was my personal favorite and his gimmick of the perpetually lazy, lofty, acerbic, witty, jocular cavemen with a chip on his shoulder never got old. Nick's 'better than you' attitude wall well rounded against Joel's pragmatic side and his brother Andy's wide eyed eagerness. The gang all lived together (off and on) in a world of Halo 3, yogurt bars, squash courts and Nintendo Wii. I could buy this odd universe because it seemed somehow more realistic than some hot chick with a fat husband or a family with a constantly bitchy wife and her Frankenstein sounding brother in law. Yet, the general population didn't buy the show and it was gone after six episodes. I've been lucky enough to find a few more via Youtube and hope to get to see the other 3 via download.

One of the questions the focus group moderator asked was if these were guys that were like ones I actually knew. "I wish." was my answer.

Don't Knock It 'Til You've Tried It

Author: myrafilms from Los Angeles, CA
30 October 2007

That's what my Granddaddy used to say, and wow -- he's still right. It's frustrating to hear all of the negative comments out there about CAVEMEN. And what I've noticed is that the folks who are nay-saying this absolutely hilarious new show haven't even seen it! (That's kind of like someone complaining about our government leaders when that person isn't even registered to vote.) Anyway, I urge and encourage you to check out at least one episode of CAVEMEN, especially if you're an under-50 male. The writing is brilliant, and the acting is perfectly paced and delivered. It's simply a good show, from concept through post and onto your screen. Don't miss it!

Very Bad

Author: windtar from United States
6 November 2007

I have watched 3 episodes of Caveman, and I have no idea why I continue except maybe waiting for it to get better.

To me this show is just pumping itself off the commercials, with no real humor. As we sat around watching these shows, we all speculated on what was going to happen.

The episode of the woman cave-woman with a attitude was actually a big, yea right, for us. she's crude in a theater and acts tough to strangers, and truth be told, she needed a slap

I consider myself a pretty good reviewer, taking in everything, but I must say, Cavemen is comparable to the old show, My mother, the car. I give it a 2, only because they deserve 1 better than a 1 because they actually spent money on it.

Not the perfect start, but still has potential

Author: cpp1977 from United States
3 October 2007

When I first heard of this show coming out, I was actually looking forward to it. I knew I had to watch it with an open mind, which I did last night. It wasn't roll on the floor funny, but I had a few chuckles. I can see this show struggling for a bit before finding a comfortable funny format. I am going to give this show a chance for the first season. If after that I still feel 5/10 about it, I'll stop watching.

So, yeah, the first episode was nothing to write home about, but everyone should check out this series at least once. The plot of the pilot was actually a decent story.

Overall response, I'm still neutral on it. The show can still prove bad and it can still prove good.

cavemen among us

Author: djray65 from Dark side of the moon
3 October 2007

I enjoyed the GEICO commercials a lot and I actually looked forward to this show. TV has gotten so boring now days, I figured what the hell. I don't think the actors playing the cavemen are the same, but they did a good job. I found it interesting that they provided no back sorry; they just jumped right in. kind of like real life. Now days every one need to be fully informed about every aspect of the characters and their lives. There is nothing wrong with a little mystery. And thank god they didn't try to put a dumb laugh track, it works just the way it is. While this is no "I love Lucy" of the 21st century, it did hold my interest. I hope it gets better, and they add more caveman friends. Get the guys from the commercials to come on. Today's generation my not get it, but I hope they do, I'd like to see more of cavemen.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]