IMDb > "The Sopranos" Remember When (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Sopranos" Remember When (2007)

« Prev | 80 of 86 Episodes | Next »

I remember when...

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
26 May 2008

I remember when I saw The Sopranos for the first time: I was struck by its brilliance, just as I was amazed by the likes of Six Feet Under, Deadwood or, to stray from HBO territory, Desperate Housewives and Lost. But David Chase's mob show always had something more than all the other great programs American TV has spawned. Even the 80th episode of the series, Remember When, is much better than the title would suggest (the first time I heard it, I assumed it was a clip show, like the 100th episode of Seinfeld).

The title is actually very ironic, the center of the story being Uncle Junior, whose ability to remember is seriously compromised by Alzheimer's. Stuck in a psychiatric hospital ever since he shot Tony at the beginning of the season, he lets life pass by without complaining. That is, until he meets a young, angry Asian man (Ken Leung), who strives to bring his worse side back.

In the episode's other storyline, "remember when" is frequently said by Paulie, who is on vacation with Tony to avoid a possible indictment. As they run into old friends and see things that remind them of past actions, he tries to engage in a memory-themed discussion with Tony, only to be told by the latter that "remember when" is the lowest form of conversation.

That may be true, but Remember When is also one of the most affecting episodes of the series: Dominic Chianese, whose presence is quite limited in the final season (four shows in Part One, two in Part Two), does a job that can't be described as anything less than astonishing, with terrific support from Leung, while the other half of the plot adds real tension to the so far unbreakable bond between Tony and Paulie. How it pays off, I won't reveal, but I can say with absolute certainty it is one of the most chilling moments in the show's history. An applause-worthy effort.

Remember when...?

"Remember When" is the Lowest Form of Conversation

Author: loudprincess from United States
22 April 2007

Another tension-filled, angst-ridden episode, with lots of meat on it's bones. Tony and Paulie go on a road trip to lay low while the Feds look into the sudden discovery of a corpse. (They show most of that in the previews, so I don't think that's much of a spoiler.)

I know the characters on this show are not supposed to be likable, nice guys, but I can't help thinking that I'm really going to miss Tony Sirico/Paulie after this show's over. Paulie is certainly flawed, as this episode overly illustrates, but there's a sadness about him that makes him more human.

The actual driving scenes with Tony and Paulie reminded me a lot of the opening sequence of "Cheyanne Social Club," and I think you may agree after watching this installment.

**** SPOILERS ****** The obvious build-up to Tony's conflicted feelings about Paulie were almost too much to bear. I could almost hear David Chase snickering to himself during the boat scenes, knowing that loyal Sopranos fans would draw parallels to Big Pussy's demise, even before Paulie's flashbacks.

The Paulie storyline is yet another thread in the complicated web of Sopranos conspiracy theories. Is Paulie going to head Tony off at the pass? Will Tony hang in with Paulie, or pull an "Adrianna," and have one of the other guys do Paulie in? I have a feeling that all of the complications are going to make for an overstuffed finale, like most shows do.

In other news....Doc, one of the contenders for the NY crew boss role, is gunned down by Phil's people. There's a brief but telling scene with Doc and Phil at dinner together, where Doc insists on taking a bite from Phil's plate. It's small, but well-communicated.

Junior starts up a poker game at the institution, and becomes friends with one of the other inmates. The one thing I have to say about this facet of tonight's storytelling is that, up to this point, all of the scenes with Junior could've been filmed in a nursing home. There were very few indications that the others were mentally ill or incarcerated for committing crimes. So, this episode did better demonstrate that point. Otherwise, I could've done without it. There's so much to wrap up with a lot of characters on the show, that devoting so much time to another, new character seems wasteful.

I gave this installment an eight because, while I loved the tension and the depth of character in this one, I felt duped. The more character development, as far as Paulie is concerned, was good, but such a grandiose gesture shouldn't end on such a weak note. So Tony's annoyed. So what? He's always annoyed. If Paulie does end up on his way out, he deserves a grand exit. I dunno....

I liked what Tony said about "Remember When," and I think it applies to this show as a whole. Too much backtracking and exposition makes the show stale. It shouldn't be applied so liberally in these last few episodes. If we need to figure out who whacked who and when, we'll go back and look at the DVDs. ***** End of Spoiler*****

Watching the last few episodes, you can almost hear the clicking of the roller-coaster car as it reaches the tallest peak. I just wish that the ride wouldn't come to a screeching stop.

Wow...

Author: Scuba_602 from Phoenix, AZ United States
23 April 2007

The emotional response I felt during this episode was as big as anything I've experienced with any television show. Tony's dilemmas are fully shown - the excruciating decisions of a man in his position in regard to loyalty, protecting the integrity of the Family and the massive grey areas that entangle the issues. However it was done, either through direction, writing or the dead-on portrayals, I could feel Tony's pain.. Hands-down, this was the best episode so far in the entire series. The only reason I voted it a "9" was because it was too short! On a side-note, the Sopranos world is abuzz with guesses to how the show will end. As any good story should, it'll end as it began: the ducks. My personal opinion is that the entire series, the whole shootin' match, is a dream Tony has during his anxiety attack, with him waking up on the side of the pool and the ducks flying away as he awakes...

Remember When (#6.15)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
28 March 2014

FBI found the remains of the first man Tony killed in the 80's. Paulie tells him that and they get out of town. Tony is upset with Paulie because he talks so much instead of laying low. Junior is in the institution making friends and hosting poker games. But his aggression results him on getting more medication.

Really liked watching Tony having those inner conflicts about Paulie. James Gandolfini was doing a wonderful job showing us his inner struggle as he usually does.

Was also happy to see that much of Junior. One of my favorite characters who always brings so much to the show. Was also happy to see Ken Leung in the episode. A great actor.