IMDb > Lottery Ticket (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Lottery Ticket

Lottery Ticket More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Just obnoxious and stupid...But not that terrible

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
8 September 2010

Now this is far from being a good movie, but I find the score people are giving it is a bit harsh...sort of. I mean yeah if you seen the trailer to this movie, you basically seen the whole movie. But watching how it gets to those points was kinda fun to watch, although most of the obnoxious characters just really started to get annoying. And the stupidity of some of the characters got really annoying, I mean at first I decided to just go with it, but the stupidity was just too much at times. I will say the main highlight of this film was Terry Crews, love that guy in just about any movie he is in. Rental at best, if your in your teens and with a group of friends it's okay as well. Not as terrible as I thought it would be.

5.5/10

Not a winning ticket

Author: jdesando from United States
19 August 2010

Lottery Ticket is not much of a winner either as comedy or caper. It's predictable as Kevin Carson (Bow Wow) wins $370 million in the Lotto and for a three-day holiday weekend must escape trumped up traps from people who want the ticket, his sperm, or his generosity.

Bow Wow's is a passive, reactive role, where his exuberant, rapper persona seems on hold in favor of being just neutralized by the circumstances. He appears to be a nice kid from the projects caught in a wealth vortex with nothing going for him, not even strong convictions about what he'll do with the windfall.

As the film's hero, he doesn't have the depth to make us care. From what I've heard about his circus-like celebrity life, this film could serve as a metaphor but lack the manic madness of his reality. Director Kevin White keeps the projects feel to the location, albeit at times romantic when people have joyful conversation, clothes and colors are clean and bright, and barely any garbage can be seen. The production looks more like the sanitized Tyler Perry films than Spike Lee's neo-realism.

Similarly, Lottery Ticket can't seem to make up its mind if it wants to be benign or brutal. The scenes with relatives and friends are full of good banter, but on the street with goons it can be bloody tough. The church service is an example of the bi-polar production: It opens with spot-on satire of a goofy, out-there pastor and ends with dark visitors upsetting the service.

I had hoped for a more imaginative script, something beyond the street vernacular, with a plot not so linear and clichéd. As for Bow Wow—Boo Hoo.

Meh attempt at trying to recreate Friday

Author: Jackpollins from United States
25 August 2010

Bow Wow has proved time and time again to be a charming performer from movies like Johnson Family Vacation to a starring role in Like Mike. In Lottery Ticket, he proves it again, playing Kevin, a foot locker employee who wins the lottery much to the surprise (and delight) of the whole town. That said, Lottery Ticket is a hit (and mostly) miss attempt at trying to make Friday for a new generation. The cast including Loretta Divine, Mike Epps, Brandon T. Jackson, Terry Crews, Keith David and Ice Cube is so charming that it's disappointing that this film doesn't perform the magic it should. There's some moments of really sharp humor in this film, and you will laugh for about 30% of this film, but 30% of a film compared to a $10 ticket just doesn't balance out. The film especially loses edge when it gets cloyingly and unnecessarily sappy and sentimental. That said, these moments of sharp humor made me not completely hate the film. It has those moments where I realized this could have been a very funny film and I respect that. See it if you were planning to see it, but if you weren't there's really no reason to see it.

Lottery Ticket

Author: jDriftyx82 from United States
14 January 2011

In 1995 Shad '(Lil)Bow Wow' Moss had an uncredited roll in Snoop Dogg's Murder Was the Case: The Movie straight-to-video short film. Since then Bow Wow has been in movies such as Like Mike (2002), Roll Bounce (2005), and Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006).

Bow Wow has never really established himself as an actor like some other rappers (ex. Will Smith), which is not to say he never will, but in this particular movie, he doesn't offer anything different than he does in his other movies. But in this movie he's good, he is exactly what his character needs to be.

Brandon T. Jackson (Tropic Thunder) is good, he has some funny lines.

But this movie isn't a Friday rip-off or anything like that. It's more about the choices Bow Wow makes after he realizes he wins the lottery. And the choices he makes are pretty interesting.

I recommend this movie for someone who doesn't mind turning off his brain and just watching a movie.

A "Pick 4" sized comedy

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
26 November 2010

Lottery Ticket is much a film with two likable lead characters, but it has such a weak and predictable plot you wonder why you even care about the events in it. I admit that when I saw the trailer I was very interested in seeing it because it looked like F Gary Gray's fantastic urban Comedy called Friday and it's sequels. Hell, it even has Ice Cube that was in everyone of those film. It's a buddy film, an urban film, and a plot that's not the worst. I dig all three of those things.

Bow Wow is a decent actor, but his music is less than impressive. After being less than impressed with his album New Jack City Part 2, I wasn't racing to see/hear anything Bow Wow for quite a while. Then this film comes along to grab me, shake me, and say "Hey! This is a film that is in the spirit of Friday! See it, Steve!" And I obeyed. Bow Wow does a fair job at acting, but I'd rather watch him than have him rap with music in the background. Lets just say, he's a tame Chris Tucker.

The plot surfaces around High School graduate Kevin (Bow Wow) who works at a Foot Locker and desperately wants to own his own shoe design business. Living in an urban neighborhood, he doesn't have the cash to send himself to Design School and his Jesus freak of a grandmother wants him to grow up and "live in the real world".

After a run in with the town bully and after disastrous results as, Kevin is sent to buy a lottery ticket for his grandmother where we get the best part of the movie - T-Pain. T-Pain's music is better than Bow Wow's, but not perfect. Only this time it was the opposite. I didn't like Bow Wow's music, but I still watched the film. I didn't like T-Pain's music in Freaknik: The Musical, but still saw his film. Where's the sign that "Entering Paradox"?

You can guess the rest; he plays the numbers his grandma wants, then takes a fortune cookie message's lucky numbers and plays them. He winds up winning the jackpot of $370,000,000, and the only trouble he faces now is keeping possession of the ticket over the Fourth of July weekend without it slipping into the wrong hands. Kevin then gets a look at what money does to people, and talks to people that he may have never walked past if he didn't have a $370 million ticket to his name.

Lottery Ticket has it's heart in the right place, but it lacks greatly in trying to unique. The plot is surely decent, but isn't utilized in a fresh, new way. Then again what movie is? It reminds me much of a film I reviewed earlier this year called The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard. You know the company isn't going to lose out on everything. Even if the chips are down, so how, some unrealistic miracle comes around to save everyone. Lottery Ticket doesn't hit the jackpot, but it deserves a "free ticket".

Starring: Bow Wow, Brandon T. Jackson, Naturi Naughton, Loretta Devine, Terry Crews, Ice Cube, and Gbenga Akinnagbe. Directed by: Erik White.

Very good movie

Author: Cinemade from London, U.K.
17 April 2011

3.6 rating? Must be my white brethren. The movie, as a morality tale, clearly makes the cut. Even though nefarious characters lend a hand, the overall message is still pretty clear: You need the community to see you through. Who's going to help you through the greed and missteps of your neighborhood.. Opie?? Sure, there were some things that were unrealistic (oh, gimme a break scenes). But the film still entertained, and communicated the eternal truth: that winning the lottery doesn't change you, it changes the people around you. Ice Cube was great, as was the entire cast. Hats off to the director, actors, and writer of this film.

Likable lead characters but not enough smarts

Author: Floated2
30 October 2010

The film contains very few humour and many stereotypical situations but the lead characters played by Bow Wow, Brandon T. Jackson, and Naturi Naughton were likable enough to prevent this film from being a disaster. Though its very clichéd and typical. You have the lead protagonist Kevin (Bow Wow) whose the straight man and does the right thing, the joker but likable wisecracking best friend (Brandon T. Jackson), and the female friend whom happens to like the lead (Naturi Naughton). The film isn't that bad but its just predictable. It has its funny and good moments, which are mostly in the beginning and some of the chase scenes towards the end but not enough. The film starts off pretty interesting but seems to drag in its second half.

Even though Kevin was likable the writers didn't make him very smart. In the film he wins the lottery ticket leaving in the hood yet he keeps in the ticket with him in his wallet pocket while knowing that people are after him (specifically an ex-con Lorenzo). There's one questionable scene at the end involving a public fight with Kevin and Lorenzo, its being viewed by most of the hood yet everyone is just there watching Lorenzo knock Kevin down a few times and no one breaks up the fight, until eventually. The film isn't all that bad as the rating shows (its currently at 2.5), and the end shows a good message and pretty good ending to the movie (even if it is slightly predictable).

This Movie Was So Predictable!

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
28 August 2010

Bow Wow and Ice Cube need to go back to rapping, because their acting is very dry. Loretta Devine plays the grandma. She plays the same types of roles in every movie that she is in. There was an important message in this movie. Don't have sex without a condom because you may get a woman pregnant and have to pay child support. Bow Wow should have dated Naturi's character from the beginning of the movie. They had to add a bully just like the bully in Friday. No one can believe that Ice Cube's character haven't been outside in 30 years until he goes outside to beat up the bully after Bow Wow's "bodyguard" gets injured by the bully. Bow Wow gets to cash in the lottery ticket, buys a helicopter, and gives some of the money to charity. There should have been twists in the plot so this movie wouldn't be so predictable.

Oh my God, did they really make this movie?

Author: glennataylor from United States
18 August 2010

How can they even call this a film. The plot was weak and predictable, I can't believe Brian made me see this. The entire premise was ridiculous, steal your neighbors lottery ticket. Anyone would write their name and address on it the second they won. Ice Cube couldn't act his way out of an ice tray. Probably the worst movie I have EVER seen. Racist, obnoxious, predictable, annoying, Please, Please, Please don't see this film, Please. This movie made shawn of the dead look like The Departed. Is there a white person in the house? Could they make anymore of a racist movie. Bad actors, just because they are black doesn't make them any less BAD. BAD. BAD. If this movie rises above a 2, well, it won't.

It had the right numbers, but not all the right ingredients...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
18 November 2016

While "Lottery Ticket" is a comedy movie, it wasn't all that funny. Don't get me wrong here, because the movie is still entertaining enough for what it turned out to be, but it just wasn't all that funny, and it lacked certain elements that would make it stand out from numerous other comedies in the genre.

The story in "Lottery Ticket" is about young Kevin who lives with his grandmother in a project housing. When he happens to win 370 million dollars in a lottery, things are about to change. And not everything changes for the better.

There were some good enough aspects to the movie, such as what happens to a person when winning a ridiculous amount such as 370 million dollars, and what happens to the people and everything and everyone in the nearby vicinity when finding out about such a winning. But it was just all hindered by the predictability of the movie.

"Lottery Ticket" is a very predictable movie. You know what will happen a long time before it does happen on the screen, and that predictability was a cumbersome anchor around the movie, slowing it down.

The acting in the movie was quite alright, and they had some good names to the cast list; which included Loretta Devine, Terry Crews, Keith David. I will also says that both Shad Moss and Brandon T. Jackson were actually doing quite alright in carrying the movie.

If you enjoy comedies, then there are far better and more amusing choices available in the comedy genre. "Lottery Ticket" is the type of movie that you will most likely watch once, then never return to it again, as it just doesn't have contents to support multiple viewings.

My rating of "Lottery Ticket" is a slightly less than mediocre four out of ten stars.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]