IMDb > Surfer, Dude (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Dude, where's my plot?

Author: equazcion (equazcion@gmail.com) from NYC
16 December 2008

Whoa, dude, it like, totally doesn't exist.

This has got to be the slowest and most shallow film I've ever seen. The plot is so thin it's nearly invisible. Once the conflict is set up it's mostly abandoned, and when the resolution comes, it's abrupt and shamelessly contrived. The story is resolved within a span of 5 minutes at the end, and nothing that comes before has any bearing on it.

Also, despite the claimed genre of "comedy", this only barely qualifies. Aside from a few funny lines here and there, this is really not a funny movie. It doesn't even seem to be intended as such. Perhaps it was supposed to be a "surfing movie" instead, which it might have accomplished, if not for the remarkable lack of actual scenes involving people surfing.

This is more like a long stoner fantasy. Really, it's like seeing the dream of a passed-out stoner. You can just see one waking up and going, "Dude, I just had this dream, where I was Matthew McConaughey, only I was like, this famous surfer, and then these corporate dudes were trying to bring me down, but I didn't care and decided to sit on the beach for a couple months."

Or to draw another comparison, it's like listening to an hour and a half of psychedelic music, in that the sober people in the room will be bored, but the stoned people will see all kinds of depth and colors.

This seems to have been made by stoners, for stoners. The only reason I can come up with for this getting made is that it was written, greenlit, directed, and in the end only appreciated by people whose minds have been burned out by too much sun and too many drugs. It's so slow and uneventful that you could watch it and follow the story accurately while simultaneously doing your taxes.

But hey, maybe I just don't have enough laid-back beach bum in me to appreciate something like this. It was after all a good-looking production, with good acting, lots of hot women in bikinis (and a couple without), and pretty beach scenery. Though again, if, like me, you insist on things like an actual story and interesting events occurring in your movies, you're probably best off skipping this.

Dream about it, at least.

Author: antaru_1976 from Hungary
21 April 2009

Here is this movie and here I am, someone who liked it. A movie which got huge slaps in the face by critics pointing that this isn't more than something stoners would make for other stoners; and myself who never touched weed or any drugs.

Even so, I liked Surfer, Dude. Better to say: I loved it. Because it helped me rethink what is important in life and what isn't.

The main character (Addington) represents everything that people living in the cage of the consumer / mass society can only dream about, or should be dreaming about.

He is the free man, part of and living with nature. Not a 9 to 5 office worker like the most of us, not someone having only twenty-some days off a year. Not working for the profit (which actually goes to other one's pocket), he is living for living, enjoying life, experiencing the mystery or magic of nature.

There is a big contrast in the movie. The artificial vs the real. The video game and reality show versus the real surfing and life under the sun. Inside and outside.

Addington is like a creature from another world, but at the end of the film it feels like he is the one from planet Earth (with the goat shepherd and the fisherman) and on the other hand we who made the fields chessboard looking, made the trees stand in order and in the exact same distance from each other in the forest, we are the aliens, or robots. He is the relaxed one we are the frustrated ones. He does only the positive things, and none of the negative ones, not even for money. "Not feelin' it. Not into it". This thing is double stated with the soul/Seoul people scene after the cast, at the very end of the movie.

Actually I recommend Surfer, Dude for those, who feel frustrated after work or feel like there is more to life than doing overtime for surplus production.

Yes the plot is simple, but has important questions. I accept the statement that the flow of the story is very slow, too. And overall, it could be a little bit better, like everything else.

But the stills are beautiful. And in its slow way it gives me a long smile instead of periodic laughter.

Chill out with the movie, dude. And think about your life for a minute.

You guys are seriously harshing my morning mellow

Author: rtg002 from United States
1 July 2009

I recently had the chance to see this movie, and I don't understand why so many people hate it. I don't think that this film was intended to be a deep think-piece. The people who have come on here complaining about the film seem to have missed the message, which is a shame, because they are the ones who could have benefited from the films laid back messages the most. Addington lives a perfect, untainted existence. He is free of all of the stress and flakiness (for lack of a better word) that permeates modern American life and culture. This movie helped me realize that relaxing and enjoying the things that bring joy to my life are equally, if not more important, than participating in the gigantic rat race that has come to dominate all aspects of modern day life. I admire this movie and its simplistic message, and to those who felt this movie was a waste of time, I would recommend relaxing and appreciating the stress free atmosphere that is present throughout the film.

More money, more problems

Author: eduareke from Spain
9 March 2009

There are a lot of mixed reviews about this movie. Some surfers rate it negatively because they think the movie is about surfing, and feel it does not portray the majority of surfers well, or feel offended by it.

The movie is about ONE surfer, and the way he looks at life, not wanting to be part of the capitalist system others try to include him in.

The plot is that. People trying to get the main character to do what they want, and him refusing to cooperate, brining upon him the hardships people with money can give you if you go against them.Nonetheless, the surfer in the movie stays true to his principles and doesn't give in.

This is not a movie about surfing, or surfers, but about how the main character thinks surfing is all there is to life, and how he doesn't want to get involved into anyone's game, or be anyone's monkey.

The film contains very nice shots, and a very nice soundtrack too, as well as some very funny moments. This is a movie to sit back and relax, and it might help you trivialize some things, like the state of your bank account.

Every surf movies ever made is nothing compared to this one

Author: nathan-517 from United States
1 February 2009

This is an awesome surfer movie...blue crush, North Shore, point break, and all the rest are good but this hits the top.

This is the story of one surfer trying to live life with the least amount of anything but surfing. His agency wants him to be something else, a living movie advertisement, but he refuses to do so. This story doesn't need any epic plot, no epic love/drama, no fights or controversy. the reason this movie doesn't appeal to most is because they wanted the complicating story line but that's not what this movie is about. It's about surfing and smoking weed and just living life 'j.k. livin' means just keep livin. I recommend this movie to all people that just want to chill for an hour and a half.

I love this movie, I wanted to just jump into the movie and exist in it, cause there wasn't any major thing going on it was just life without the complexity.

Simplicity

Author: gregormandella from Huntington Beach, CA
21 March 2009

This movie is about simplicity of life being threatened by too much greed. Our American life has decayed so far out of simplicity that there's now a whole generation that has no idea what a simple life is like. No wonder so many people don't get this movie!

I surf and have for 20 years. I know a lot more surfers who are like these guys than aren't! All these guys whining about this not "being real" in regards to surfing need to lighten up a bit. Surfing used to be a lot of fun until it became mainstream and overcrowded. That's why I usually paddle over to the next peak to get away from the crowds even if it's not as good.

This movie is more about a guy who loves his lifestyle and having it threatened by extinction than anything else.

Take example from Tyler Durdin and "just let go". Let go of expectations and you might just find a gem right under your nose.

57 days without surf

Author: cjr71244 from orlando, fl
1 February 2009

There are a couple main plot points here: some business type money hungry former surfing bastard is trying to harsh his mellow and get Surfer dude to sell out and it's been weeks and then months without surf in California and thus pushing Surfer dude to do things he doesn't want to do.

I didn't expect much from this movie but I got a lot out of it. I really loved it. Maybe it's because I was trapped on a plane and this was sort of an escape. There is a little bit of deep meaning in this movie if you think about it.

If you are looking for one of those modern dumb comedies with hilarious laughs this is probably not it.

If you like the stoned out surf culture and can laugh at it but still can see the heart in surfing and the deepness in it and in not selling out, you will like this movie a lot.

Hmmmmm....

Author: stevecauley from United States
4 September 2008

What can you say about a movie that features Matthew McConaughey playing a surfer/stoner, with Woody Harrelson as his sidekick, that's barely able to muster a single laugh in 90 minutes? About all you can say is that someone dropped the ball and that someone would have to be first time feature filmmaker S.R. Bindler. Instead of clever dialogue and an engaging plot, we are treated to lots of "stoner lingo," tight shots of girls' asses, and plenty of topless scenes thrown in for good measure. In other words, the sort of movie a 17-year-old kid would make with his camcorder and a couple of buddies. Remember those Burt Reynolds movies in the 70's that basically had no plot but gave Burt an excuse to make a film with his pals? This is Matthew McConaughey's homage to those. We're even treated to a cameo by Willie Nelson in a role that serves no purpose other than as an excuse to have him in the movie. On a positive note, "Surfer, Dude" makes "Sahara" look like Oscar material.

Narcissistic expose -

Author: uggachucka from United States
5 September 2008

I just arrived home from this movie. It was such a disappointment and non stimulating experience I don't recall leaving the house. Sure I went to admire the Matt man, yet we some how broke into uncontrollable laughter when his pearly butt arrived on the screen. I am still seeing spots from the over whitened teeth which managed to steal the scenes. The movie appeared a desperate attempt to capitalize on the hotness that was Matt, the excellence of bill and Ted, the reality TV addict, the gamer, tech buff, t&a specialist, booty watcher, country music fan and those still waiting for the legalization of Marijuana. We waited too and unlike the movie the waves never came.

If I were Matt or Woody I would pull the movie, before waves of bad reviews pull them under. Your still hot Matt, butt - "Your first loss is your best loss."

People are being too harsh on this movie...

Author: SerpentMage from Switzerland
11 January 2012

I watch quite a few movie and from my review record I can pretty much watch any movie. My first and foremost priority is; does the movie entertain me? For this movie, check! Then my second priority is this movie original? For this movie half a check. And finally my third priority is, does this movie challenge my mind? For this movie, no not even close.

This movie is pure entertainment. Though I have to say that Matthew McConaughey did a really good job. While people may say, "oh look he is playing a stoner and laid back person. That is a no-brainer." Actually not really, since a laid back person does not get uptight about anything, nothing gets them going.

What surprised me in the movie is how well Matthew played the character. You saw it when he was challenged to a fight, and refused, or when he was insulted, or his words twisted. He played his character and I was surprised at how well he did it.

So while it is not that original, though there are hints, it is very very entertaining. I found much of the critique of this movie completely misplaced...

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]