IMDb > The Other Man (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Other Man

The Other Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Great cast, interesting premise, terrible direction

Author: BernardoPinto from Portugal
29 August 2009

Liam Neeson plays Peter, the husband of a famous shoe designer named Lisa(Laura Linney). After some suspicions Peter realizes that his wife hasn't been faithful and when he finds the address of Ralf(Antonio Banderas), the man his wife cheated on him with, he travels to Italy to confront him. When I saw the trailer for The Other Man, I immediately thought the film had a great premise; a man finds out that his wife has been cheating on him and then he tries to track down this man and execute some kind of revenge. That is what you get from the trailer, however, the trailer is incredibly misleading, the story doesn't pan out like that. Not even close. But what really ruined this movie for me, was the direction. Most of the scenes seemed glued together. You're watching a scene and all of a sudden you're watching something completely different and you're left wondering if you missed the last 10 minutes of the film. The reason why the film is like that, is because the director introduced a twist near the end but, until that moment, nothing makes sense, and when the reveal finally comes, it's a terrible letdown. This premise and cast on someone's else hands could have been something great. Unfortunately, all Richard Eyre's was able to do, was a boring and poorly executed movie.

Sensitive study of infidelity. loss and loneliness

Author: pauldcmt-1 from United Kingdom
18 October 2008

Richard Eyre has carefully constructed an intimate tale of a man who discovers his wife's infidelity.

Liam Neeson and Antonio Banderas provide subtle and mature performances, with Romola Garai outstanding as the daughter.

The film is beautifully shot on location in Milan and Lake Como as well as in London and Ely.

The plot twists are effective, leaving one to reflect on how little we can truly know of the people around us.

Nevertheless, the denouement feels a little forced, even if a logical conclusion to the narrative.

Really, an excellent film

Author: kathynorris1 from United States
7 May 2011

I think there are 3 reasons some reviewers did not like this movie. First it was placed in the "suspense" category and it is a drama. Second, some of you may be used to fast reactions to conflicts and the sometimes violent retribution many movies contain. Third, you may be young. I am old and have had friends who had affairs, some who wanted to, and didn't. I have seen many happy marriages and many lonely sad marriages. I found the movie honest and extremely well acted. The husband had all the rage, anger and desire to kill the lover, until he got to know him. The lover, at first glance, is smug, a playboy, easy to hate. But in the end, the husband sees the lover for the deeply sincere, but flawed man he is. He finally sees himself as his dead wife had seen him, more than the boring software engineer. He is better than that. The lover is much less than a rival, but they deeply loved the same woman. The husband realizes how really devastated the lover is and how his wife had loved and deserved both men in her life. As life usually is, there was poetic justice. She died a painful death after hurting her husband. He finally forgave and found peace. The lover was forgiven, often a reason for shame, his secrets open to those around him. He lost the woman he loved, and a women who loved him for what was inside, not the phony outward role he played. You know he will never find that again. There is a lot going on in this movie, all under the surface. I kept wondering if it would revert to the standard murder scenario, that was the suspense for me. The outcome was real, not Hollywood.

Good acting but silly plot

Author: Carrie Sanders from Australia
4 September 2009

The movie is very confusing, but the few clues suggest the following. Lisa married young and was probably bored. She had the chance to experiment and did so with the silly Ralph, a man whose life is purely on fantasy. She hid the affair from her husband for several years who was completely devoted to her, but when struck by cancer, she decided to leave him clues so that he could discover the affair. This is probably where your mind has to be a little twisted to follow her logic for doing this. In leaving naked photo evidence of her affair and clues to help her husband track down her lover the nut case, she could only expect that he could become enraged and hate her. Given how much they are supposed to love each other, one can only think that she was concerned that he might not be able to get over her death and so proceeded to make sure that he would hate her and in the process, get over her.

Peter worked out her plan in the end and that just made him forgive her and love her regardless - hence the 'thank god for Ralph' at the party and the comment to his daughter at the station 'she didn't know us at all did she'.

Adultery and Triangle of Love

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
27 June 2010

In Cambridge, the software engineer Peter (Liam Neeson) and the shoe designer Lisa (Laura Linney) are successful in their careers and have been happily married for twenty-five years. They have an adult daughter, Abigail (Romola Garai), and Lisa frequently travels to Milano to do business with the Gianni & Gianni Company. When Lisa is gone, Peter finds a message in her cellular and decides to snoop her e-mails and discovers in a secret folder named Love that she had a lover, Ralph (Antonio Banderas). Peter travels to Milano and stalks Ralph; he finds that the man plays chest in a bar. Peter gets close to Ralph that tells his relationship with Lisa without knowing that he is her husband.

"The Other Man" is an engaging romance about adultery and triangle of love among the husband, the wife and her lover. The story is supported by the excellent Liam Neeson, Laura Linney and Antonio Banderas but unfortunately the suspenseful screenplay has a disappointing conclusion. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Amante" ("The Lover")

A Battle Of The Witless

Author: thechrisclarkblog from United States
17 December 2009

What do you get when you combine two Oscar nominees, one Golden Globe nominee, an up-and-coming young talent, and the director of the brilliant "Notes on a Scandal"? Apparently, to my intense surprise, you get a lifeless and poorly-crafted thriller...well, a thriller in name only, since there are no thrills and no compelling story to speak of. To call it a disappointment would be one of the year's gravest cinematic understatements. "The Other Man" is not merely disappointing; it is rather a travesty, as we are essentially watching three great actors and one great director flounder in a film that is simply bad in just about every aspect. Starting from the ground floor, the screenplay is spineless and unappealing, attempting to tell a potentially intriguing story in a lazy and clumsily-executed way. It rarely calls for the characters to do anything more than go through the motions and talk about insignificant things for extended periods. When it unveils its two big twists, it does so with a fizzle rather than a bang—an arduous, painful fizzle.

Absolutely nothing in this movie !

Author: loyolite from United States
26 January 2010

I think I have rarely seen worse movies than this one. The movie just doesn't add up. It keeps your interest for the first 30 minutes I think, then you start wondering what is happening. What I really really really can't understand is, how such a good cast decided to be in this slow dragging, boring , lousy end , kind of movie !

It's just a simple story of a cheating wife. Actually the story starts off with Liam Neeson finding out that his wife is cheating on him. He finds out who it is, befriends him, and the movie ends. I am not joking. There is absolutely nothing else in the movie. If there is , someone please tell me what I missed.

Anyways believe me, you don't want to see this one.

Classy Intrigueing Thriller and a Strange Love Triangle

Author: paul david from United Kingdom
4 January 2010

I always enjoy Liam Neeson movies and this is no exception. There is a similarity with TAKEN in that Neeson is a pursuer on the European continent, relentless and determined, although this time, he had the female head of security at his work to help him go on the trail of Banderas in Milan. Terrific shots of Milan especially when Ralph walks across the Piazza to the Chess Cafe. Don't think the story jumps too much or too fast, just enough for us to work things out. The ending got me stumped though, not sure how a man he was going to kill ended up pushing the hospital bed of the wife and being present at the wake but I liked the creation of the character played by Banderas who we might have thought to be a business executive but was in fact a nobody opportunist. Fascinating analysis of emotion between Peter and Ralph in the dialogue exchanges. Reminded me of another similar love triangle which Neeson-Banderas made a couple of years ago (am I mistaken?) cos I cant remember the title and in a way Neeson kind of played a pursuer also in Five Minutes of Heaven, another glorious film showing Neesons talents. Must agree with earlier comment that the scene at the office going a bit crazy and asking for the gun was overplayed but it didn't spoil the film. thanks for the comment pointing out some of the filming was done in Ely. A very watchable thriller and not at all predictable. Plenty of talking points.

An Atmospheric Gem for the Thinking Viewer

Author: VeeIMDB from United States
17 October 2010

Sick of explosions and car chases? I am. The Other Man is a surprisingly atmospheric and complex story about a grieving man (played intensely by Liam Neeson) who discovers his wife has had an affair. Obsessed with discovering the identity of the other man (played excellently by Antonio Banderas in a very different sort of role) he tracks him down and befriends him without revealing his identity. The scenes where the two men pay chess, and the dialog over the board are revealing, and the torment subtly played by Neeson, is masterful. Banderas and Neeson are superb in this movie, which is both a mystery and a psychological thriller, all filmed with exquisite attention to light and atmosphere in Italy and England. If you rent it, I highly recommend you watch it a second time with the director's commentary turned on—but not the first time; it gives too much away. You may want to watch it a third time.

Interesting Film That Needs a Better Edit

Author: jacobson98 from Arlington, VA
19 May 2010

This film is ultimately disappointing and deserving of its relatively low rating because its edit is annoying and telegraphs where it is going. World-class actors contribute tension and pace and a poor edit simply brings the movie to a complete stop. If ever there was an example of how important editing is to a movie, this is it. Film classes should look at this movie, deconstruct it, and put it back together in a more interesting way. If you watch this film, think about simply reordering several scenes to build tension and mystery and remove confusion. It's a worthwhile exercise. Movies are a complex undertaking that requires contributions of so many -- many folks labored over this film but the folks who put it together just didn't have the talent to pull it off.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]