IMDb > "Jyu oh sei" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Jyu oh sei" More at IMDbPro »

Trapped on a hostile planet

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
5 August 2010

While working through the various anime available on Funimation's YouTube channel I came across this, I wasn't sure if it would be my kind of thing or not but as it is only eleven episodes long I thought I'd give it a go; I'm glad that I did as I really enjoyed it. It is set in a future where mankind has left Earth and gone to another solar system which has been terraformed so all the planets are habitable. In the opening episode twins Thor and Rai find their parents murdered, they are promptly captured themselves and taken to the planet Chimera where they are left to fend for themselves amongst the less than friendly population and huge carnivorous plants. During a confrontation Rai is taken by one of the plants but Thor is rescued by a young girl called Tiz. She explains to him how the planet is run; there are groups of people called rings, each of which is lead by a 'Top'. She also states that she intends to bear his child when they are old enough. She is a member of the Sun Ring but is staying with the Ochre Ring; the two of them end up being members of that ring and ultimately Thor ends up as Top. The action them moves forward five years and Tiz is still determined to marry Thor; they have other concerns though, one of the other Tops is killed his rivals to become the overall leader: the Beast King. When Thor meets him he realises they have met before.

This was a good short series with plenty of action but not so much that we don't get to know the characters. The characters were well designed so I cared what would happen to them and felt saddened when certain characters died; including more than one that I was certain would survive. The world they inhabit is interesting and as the series draws to a close we learn that it isn't quite what it seemed, I won't say in what way though as that would spoil the ending. I didn't find the series to be particularly violent although blood is seen when people are injured or killed.

These comments are based on watching the series in Japanese with English subtitles.

Dune in someone else's words.

Author: Eric Wood
20 December 2012

This anime was thematically very similar to Dune and pretty good, perhaps for that reason. I'm not one for writing any sort of review, but this little gem deserves some attention. Director Hiroshi Nishikiori brought to life a fairly intense, large world and Natsumi Itsuki (writer/artist) populated it with characters with realistic motivations and complex needs. There was the occasional time where I questioned someone's motivation and didn't get a proper answer, but such is to be expected when browsing netflix for interesting unknowns. My only other reasonably-sized complaint has to do with the slow start of the series. It takes a few episodes before the plot really gets going, which is a bit of a problem when the series is only 11 episodes long. If you have 4 hours to kill, this one is worth the time investment. I sincerely hope that Natsumi Itsuki and Hiroshi Nishikiori will offer us more like this in the coming years.