IMDb > "Private Practice" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Private Practice"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Private Practice" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Give It A Chance

Author: nameless_jag from Canada
4 October 2007

This is one of those shows that has been discredited by many viewers as a simple spin-off. Think it not a spin-off, but an extension. Before simply saying, "I have to make a choice between Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy. I can't watch both." Give Private Practice a chance.

The all-star cast is incredible. And Kate Walsh is even better now that she is in her element with actors and characters who are her age, and act like it. Grey's Anatomy's story now seems immature, and repulsively similar to high school in comparison to Private Practice's adults in their late thirties/early forties who are fed up with the crap of relationships. These characters have been divorced, been broken up with, and are looking for something of substance and meaning to add to their lives.

Yes, the individual episode format of medical conflict is similar to that of Grey's Anatomy. But more than just surgery plays its part in this show; therapy, alternative medicine, pediatrics and simple family medicine can be just as complex as surgery; often more-so since the patient is conscious and often fuels the issue with their personality problems.

So give this show a chance. The cast is great and the storyline is much more mature than Grey's Anatomy. If you don't try it, you won't know if you like it.

Worth Watching

Author: lilrabbitangel14 from United States
4 October 2007

This is not Grey's anatomy. I think one of the most important you have to do in order to appreciate this show is to not compare it to Grey's Anatomy.

This show had a bad start when the pilot within the two hour special Grey's was hated by many fans and critics. However, now that this show has became an individual show with its own time slow, it has improved dramatically. The first episode was a huge step up from the two hour special. The second episode was even better than the first. This show has the potential to become a hit, if only people would give it a chance.

Kate Walsh, Tim Daly, Amy Brennemen, and Paul Adelstein all deliver great performances every episodes. The group itself contain a lot of chemistry and whenever they work together, it makes you feel all buddy buddy. Though i don't particularly like them, Taye Diggs and Audra McDonald gives decent performances weekly.

Just give it a chance, and if you stop comparing it to Grey's, its actually a pretty decent show with a chance to thrive.

each episode gets better

Author: Leslo2626 from United States
17 October 2007

At first, I thought the show was just so-so, & I kept watching because I am a fan of the actors (Kate Walsh, Amy Brenneman, Tim Daly)... it was decent, but not as good as I had hoped. I kept watching to give it a chance, & I'm glad I did; the writing is still not "great", but it's getting better each week, & I like the fact that the characters are older & more mature (mostly) than on Greys. You shouldn't try to compare this show to Greys Anatomy too much though, as it portrays a different style & atmosphere- less surgery drama, different types of medicine & treatment of patients, less "hosptial" & more of an "office" atmosphere (obviously), etc. Mainly I like it because it seems to deal with issues that aren't only about "who's sleeping with who this week", although there are potential hookups for the future... I am now liking Private Practice more than Greys this season; the actors are great, & the writing is slowly getting into the groove... I'll definitely keep watching, & I hope people give it a chance for awhile.

I actually like it

Author: papagena_1 from Canada
10 October 2007

I actually enjoy this show and I was doubtful when I heard about it. Has ANYONE worked in a place with friends and NOT had personal dramas? I doubt it. We all know it's there. The cast is incredible. There are some amazing performances by some very notable names. These are believable characters with believable faults and believable problems. It's humorous, dramatic and it pulls you into the stories. It's got heart wrenching stories without being far-fetched and odd, but believable cases. OK, it's not Grey's Anatomy, but let's face it. It wasn't meant to be.

I would recommend at least watching a few episodes yourself, then stopping and see if you aren't drawn back to the stories. You will be.

Private Practice

Author: Imurmysterygurl18 from United States
30 March 2008

This is a GREAT show.People need to just sit down and watch it without comparing it to Grey's Anatomy. It is a totally different show. The only reason the pilot aired the way it did was to basically let people know where Addison went and why. Other than that common factor there really isn't much the same about the two shows. But most of the time it is hilariously funny. The producers of this show-I believe- picked the perfect cast.They all mesh well together...like they are old friends who were meant to work together. And Addison is still as crazy as ever on this show, she just has men in her life that actually act like men instead of teenage boys. But really people just give this show a chance.You might be surprised and like it.

Amazing Show

Author: noelle from United States
3 November 2007

Really great drama, that has everything that Grey's Anatomy doesn't. Great characters that are complex yet very relatable. Story line is always fresh and unpredictable. Each episode gets better and better. Definitely didn't have any expectations for this show since it was considered a spin off, but it's not like that at all. Nothing about it reminds me of Grey's except for Addison's character, who was great on Grey's and even better on this show. Not cheesy or over the top like Grey's can be, it reminds me of House but w/ more likable and interesting characters and better stories. If you haven't watched this show yet, catch up on old episodes online. This show puts Grey's to shame, especially this season. Hoping Private Practice makes it for another season.

Doesn't have what it takes

Author: elina kogan from United States
14 October 2007

It looks like the brilliant team of Shonda Rhimes outsourced the writing of this one somewhere offshore, maybe to the MediocreLand? "PP" reminds me any one of the many tedious, promising at first but predictable within 1 season David Kelly flicks (Picket Fences, Ally McBeal, and now Boston Legal). The crazy cases they get are so outlandish, they barely evoke sympathy or sadness. And that's what actually makes good medical dramas tick - dramatic situations you are afraid of, "This could be me" sentiment. They are not funny either.

The actors are quite good, but the plot lines are dead and cannot be brought back to live. I'm a therapist, and let me tell you - Amy Brennan plays the most unbelievably incompetent, unethical, untrained therapist. Whoever writes her stuff flunked the ethics and the transference/counter-transference courses in Stanford. Somebody should give them a Code of Ethics to read (the episode with the nose-bleeding wife and the therapist's involvement in it). No therapists are that bad.

Women yearning for men who have moved on - had been done to death, we've all graduated "Sex and the City". Addison in her youthful aggression towards the guy she likes - very age-inappropriate, looks so unnatural on a woman over 40, and this otherwise talented actress doesn't believe it herself and doesn't deliver it very well. The only successful/palatable developments are Addison struggling with her decision to move to LA, and the "Voodoo Dr" and his coping with widowhood.

This concept might work with a whole new writing team.

Boring, unrealistic, irrelevant

Author: adevic from Switzerland
17 June 2008

Private Practice is supposed to be a medical drama. So I guess my biggest complaint is the lack of originality in the medical story lines. Just by watching House, I "solved" two (out of nine) medical mysteries before the doctors did. Boooring. Seriously, if you are a lazy writer, why not copy some cases out of older ER episodes or some obscure Brazilian medical soap? House is recent and popular - recycling their ideas is hard to get away with...

Second biggest complaint: these people are supposed to be forty-somethings, right? Then why do they have to behave with the emotional maturity of 15-year-olds? Is three weeks (ie. three whole damn episodes) of intense thinking really necessary to understand that if your best friend doesn't want to be your "friend with benefits", it's maybe not because he wants to hurt you, but because he doesn't want to risk your friendship? The character doing all the thinking is a psychiatrist by the way - the whole storyline is just so unrealistic that you can't really buy into the supposed "drama".

And I won't even start complaining about what the show did to everyone's favorite Addison as we got to know her in Grey's Anatomy... On a sidenote, don't you think it's funny the way Addison ends up lusting after loser Pete (sorry, but everyone who tries to cure insomnia with Mozart's Requiem is a loser, PhD or not) and Derek ends up entangled in a relationship with whiny, irritating Meredith miles away in rainy Seattle? Apart from that little fling with Mark, they seemed to be perfect for each other. Sometimes I think Shonda Rhimes' subconscious is trying to tell us that in relationships, our first choice is often the right one...

Private Practice time factor

Author: AngelTrisha9 from Montreal
31 October 2007

It gets much, much better with time. Lame cliché, but true. Why is that? you may ask, well, first because it's getting a distance from GA. It's technically a spin off, but it's truly not. It's a brand new show with a character that USED TO BE on GA. Huge difference. Which, unfortunately, made the pilot/episode of GA almost un-watchable. It was really bad because we got a bunch of new characters tossed at us in two hours with a: this is the new show, like it! Almost impossible in those circumstances seeing as they are extremely different shows. So the first episode on it's own made me go: huh! better than I remembered. So distance: good.

Secondly, the characters are getting more interesting. Not only are the actors obviously... getting to know who their characters are, but so am I. Violet is getting past the stalking thing. She now has a personality that doesn't involve stalking Allan (big plus). Cooper is getting over having sex with women of dubious nature and becoming a very caring character who wear wings to discover the source of little girls illness (major plus). Dell is passed the surfer dude stage, gotta love the happy pap! And so on. I'm not sure I'll ever get to like Charlotte though I do have to say that the urge to hit her over the head with a large stick has mostly passed... So, they are getting past their starting point and I like that.

Thirdly, and final point, the writing is better. It's directly relating to second point, and the story line are interesting. They do only have two patients an episode, so not a whole lot of medicine, most of the time not even Addison's, but it doesn't matter cause they are good story lines. And they are getting explored now. They use more of their potential and that's very nice. It seriously makes for an enjoyable watch. Give it another chance, you might actually be surprised at what you'll find.

Great actors not so great writers.

Author: dolphin18paradise
4 October 2007

This show has the potential to be great in the hands of better skillful writers. The set of veteran actors have all proved to have their acting chops, the writing however needs work.

I think the show will grow in time, the pilot was so-so but the second episode was definitely better and hopefully the trend of 'the new episode being better than the last' will continue.

I'm not a Grey's Anatomy fan, I actually can't stand watching that show for a full hour but this show I can take, that's gotta be worth something.

The hardest thing that this show has to fight with is the preconceived notions and expectations of people because of the mother show. The comparisons and the instant haters or those that just want the character back on Grey's Anatomy means instant less viewers. You gotta keep an open mind for this show on how Addison, the beloved GA character, turns to a new leaf and is indeed not going back to Seattle.

Another great thing is this show is sandwich in between Pushing Daisies and Dirty Sexy Money, that makes for a good 3 consecutive show run.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]