IMDb > A Perfect Getaway (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Perfect Getaway

A Perfect Getaway More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 23: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

What is needed in the genre

Author: Mr_Mirage from Mishawaka, IN
28 April 2010

The only reason I purchased this film is Milla Jovovich. Period. I adore her, I think she is a fairly decent actress and could probably do more, but she seems to prefer making genre films. Action, horror, sci-fi: she has the serious attitude chops and I love watching her kick people in the face (so long as it helps advance the plot, of course).

When I first started watching this film, the most immediate thing that leaped from the screen was the singular beauty of the cinematography. The greens are varied significantly and the sky is a collection of blues and grays that sets off the greens. Beautiful.

The story line is, at first, rather standard, nothing too surprising. As the film progresses, there are some scenes that appear recycled from other, similar films.

***** MULTIPLE SPOILERS FOLLOW *****

*When the film reached a certain point, and the notion of who the villains of the piece truly are, it was becoming obvious to me... and I kept wishing that the writers had enough stones to simply make the couple we've been watching throughout the film the villains... because as a hopeful writer, that is what I would do. The film Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer spends the entire film inside the head of one of the worst examples of the human condition, and having just seen it, it did make an impact.

Imagine my stunned amazement when the film did just that very thing. There are those who say that they saw the twist coming. I won't debate that; I didn't until it happened. What struck me, though, was that the "reveal" (as it were) happened rather early in the film. There is a second twist, of sorts at the very end, but I thought that more predictable than who the villains were: Hollywood redemption is a curse on modern horror films.

The primary reason the reveal of who the villains were caught me so off guard is simple: the current Hollywood concept of what a horror/thriller film should do and how it is to be done is so formulaic as to be totally predictable. This is a major step forward in the Hollywood concept of the genre, IMHO: to not spoon feed the story.

The main drawback, and what prevented me from giving this film a perfect score, was the aforementioned redemption scene.

Granted, I do not want to see Milla as a villain, but still... would it have been so difficult to show her smiling after the last gunshot? Would it have been so wrong to have her beautiful, smiling face be the last thing we'd see? Something to indicate that while she did betray her lover, she had no remorse for it or her previous actions... which may even have lead to a sequel. A true sequel, a carrying forward of the story line with her going out on her own.

The Hollywood Redemption is a cancer on the intellect. True horror fans do not need to know that Michael Myers had a bad childhood (Mr. Zombie: Are you listening??), we don't need to know that Freddie Krueger was a tortured soul. If a character is a monster, let them be monstrous. The single most putrid example remains the abortion known as Hannibal Rising, both film and novel.

Regardless, this film is entertaining, worthy of attention and hopefully, someone will catch on that a Bad Person need not be redeemed.

Enjoyable enough, and the scenery in Hawaii is quite beautiful.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
25 February 2010

The only nit I have to pick is that the movie leads us for a long time to believe something which turns out not to be true, and without this the movie would have been pretty dull. So I forgive them. I found myself absorbed, wondering what was going to unfold next.

Steve Zahn is Cliff and Milla Jovovich is his new bride Cydney. They fly over to the Hawaiian islands for their honeymoon. As they are at a local small store stocking up on supplies for their hiking and camping, we see headlines that a young newlywed couple were just murdered on one of the islands.

When they get to the lot where vehicles are parked, to start their hike, they meet Timothy Olyphant as Nick. He had walked back to get something, and Cliff and Cydney end up joining him for the hike. When they all get there, they find out Nick's girlfriend, Kiele Sanchez as Gina, is on a raft in a pool, with no clothes on. Nudity doesn't seem to bother them, nor Cydney, who strips and wades in to join them, while the more shy Cliff hangs back.

So all this sets up the mystery, is it possible that Nick and Gina, who act a bit weird, are the killers? Nick calls himself an American Ninja, and claims to have been one of the first into a certain palace in Iraq right after it was taken. He has a titanium plate in his skull, from a war injury.

Or maybe the couple who had tried to hitch a ride? The man, Kale, seemed to be pretty threatening.

So, while this movie will not likely be considered for any awards, it is interesting and kept my attention. Plus the acting is good and the scenery can't be beat.

MAJOR SPOILERS: While we are lead to believe all along, even when they were alone, that Cliff and Cydney are fun-loving, sort of dull newlyweds, they are in fact the killers. They stole things from the couple they killed, including her wedding rings, and the combination video/still camera. On the beach, when Gina starts to look at the photos on the SD card, she sees they are wedding photos, but not of the couple she has come to know, but of the murdered couple. She realizes who Cliff and Cydney are, and runs to warn Nick who had gone off to explore a cave with Cliff. The scenario that follows is complicated to explain, suffice to say Nick was shot but his titanium plate saved him, Cliff ends up dying at the hands of marshals in a helicopter, and finally, Nick proposes to Gina.

Give this movie a go

Author: dgomen from United States
3 January 2010

I enjoyed this movie. I think the couple bad reviews I've read here on this site are not really being fair. It almost sounds like they don't like this kind of movie, IE "thriller". Yes this movie has it's flaws, but not many. Someone mentioned that they were confused with the miss directions. This movie was designed to give double misdirections to keep you guessing, and does a pretty good job at it, with out "lying" to the audience. I watched the movie a second time to make sure it was consistent and it is. It makes you "think" one thing, but when you watch it again you see that it all adds up correctly. I am trying to not be a spoiler her in my review so I would just recommend this movie for sure. A lot of fun, well acted and great scenery!

A good film, but there are things that I don't know still.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
25 December 2009

A Perfect getaway is a good time to get away at a rental store. It's an interesting thriller. It's got the twists, suspense, and thrills like any normal thriller. But there a few things that I am still curious about.

These killers obviously kill people for identity. But why would they choose the couple in this movie? At the end of the film, why does one of the characters rat the husband out? I didn't understand. A perfect getaway doesn't answer some questions. It's not a perfect one either. But it is a good one.

A perfect getaway focuses on two couples(one played by Steve Zahn and Mila Jonovich and the other played by Timothy Olyphant and somebody else)who take a trip down to Honolulu. They hear about a bunch of murders there. When these two couples meet, they travel along with each other. And believe that one of them is a killer.

There is a scene in A perfect getaway before they actually do find out the killers that gives them away. So you get a little bit of an idea. There is some stuff that you may not understand like I didn't. But you know what...This film is fun. Though kind of bloody, it works. And though there are still a few questions I need answering, I liked it. It ain't perfect, but I had fun on this vacation.

A perfect getaway:***/****

A Nutshell Review: A Perfect Getaway

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
10 December 2009

This is one of those films which the trailer tells too much, so much so that I was quite certain who the mystery killer couple was amongst the three featured, and proved right. I think I'll steer clear of trailers for a while, since the better ones will keep your interest piqued, but the poorly made ones tend to spell everything out.

A Perfect Getaway proved to be quite a well made whodunnit thriller, where we follow a couple, Cliff (Steve Zahn) and Cydney (Milla Jovovich) on their honeymoon to Hawaii, only to learn that there's a serial killer couple on the loose where they are. Bumping into other couples Nick (Timothy Olyphant) and Gina (Kiele Sanchez), and the creepy hippies Kale (Chris Hemsworth) and Cleo (Marley Shelton) only provides that extra element of guesswork as to just who amongst them could coincidentally be those on the police wanted list, and sadly the way the trailer was constructed, laid it all out transparently.

So I'll just talk about the couples instead. Written and directed by David Twohy, Zahn and Jovovich behave like your common newlyweds who are up for just about any adventure, and despite bumping into nasties, almost always try to make the best out of their situation. Having Zahn's Cliff as a scriptwriter also allowed the film to have its fair share of movie references, which would appeal to any film fan especially when Timothy Olyphant's Nick starts chatting up and contributing story ideas, the most telling and ironic being the discussion on red herrings.

But it is the characters of Nick and Gina that are the most fleshed out and the most interesting of the lot, the former being an ex-clandestine operative whose cool looks could just kill, and Twohy's story has enough moments to showcase just how deadly this Man can be, especially when there are continuous praises by girlfriend Gina on just how indestructible he actually is. Gina herself is no pushover, being a butcher skilled at carving meat out for dinners.

And when so much focus is placed on these two couples, unfortunately Kale and Cleo got somewhat relegated to support roles only. Much as I would hope they had enough screen time to balance things up and to become ample suspects as well, somehow Twohy probably ran out of steam to fill these two characters up with as much back story as the others.

It's these relationship dynamics, of secrets and details shared between themselves, and between couples, that set things up for the big reveal, and thereafter some excellently crafted action sequence set on primal survival instincts, with enough gory moments that don't go over the top or done for the sake of. Watching with perfect hindsight, the secrets here were beautifully masked, with suggestions made at ample time so that the keen eyed viewer would at once know that there's more to things than meets the eye. Frankly if one was as situationally aware as the Nick character, you'll see through the charades soon enough.

Recommended.

Different than what you thought it would be....but still...

Author: wildwilly from Germany
1 December 2009

I saw the trailer of this movie...i was excited and thought this would be a great,thrilling movie.

After i saw it..well,it didn't hit my expectation of the movie.

But it is still a good movie...a very good performance from Timothy Olyphant and Steve Zahn. Mila Jovovich delivered an OK performance...til now she'd only impressed me in Resident Evil Trilogy. i don't want to spoil anything here...

i can only say..the movie is different than you thought would be..there are some twists..it started very slow though.

it's still a good movie to spend your weekend or evening.

Great thriller, beautiful landscape!!

Author: BronzeKeilani26 from SF. Calif. USA
12 November 2009

I love Steve Zahn ever since seeing him in Out of Sight with George Clooney. He's so funny in his films but he pulled a fast one on us this time. That killer look on his face reminded me of Edward Norton in American History X, so real! Amazing how these actors in no way could be familiar with people in the criminal element who kill or watched them in action "yet" they have it down to the tee. Zahn shows his flexibility in roles & this will be one of those moments that leaves the audience salivating for his next performance. Even though I'm not really a fan of Milla Jovovich, she was great also. The acting here was light and powerful. Twists were believable and surprising.

An excellent, engaging Mystery / Thriller. Intense, involving, and well directed. Blu-ray: Excellent A:9 V:9

Author: lathe-of-heaven from Sunny Southern California, USA
28 September 2013

I could not come here fast enough to write this review. Let me tell you, David Twohy has always been a favourite of mine. Tony Scott, wherever he is now may he rest in peace, would be smiling in approval.

DAMN this was a good movie. I don't think I've seen one film yet from Twohy that isn't really well done. I believe that he also wrote as well as directed this. Hmmm, where do I start...? First and foremost, the MAIN thing is that I ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT give anything away. if I may make one humble and EXTREMELY vital recommendation... Please be careful and ***DO NOT*** read too much about this film before you see it. Wow, what a story... I'm not even going to touch on any of the plot at all, but just let me say that this is truly one of the VERY best Thrillers that I've seen in a long time. One thing I really appreciated too, is that in this day and age of excess and extremely graphic violence for the sake of it, it is honestly refreshing to see such an intense and utterly riveting film that doesn't have to inject a lot of unnecessary violence in order to keep the audience's attention. THAT is what is called 'Good Writing'...

The acting all around is superb. You can always tell a competent director by the excellent performances he gets from his actors. In the same way, you can also tell a lousy director when he has screwed up a film with normally very good actors in it. There is one I saw not too long ago that epitomizes that point, but I can't seem to remember it right now. But THIS one... You are REALLY in for the ride of your life, let me tell you. Sure, you can look back AFTER the film and see places where maybe it seems somewhat misleading or deliberately slanted a bit to mislead the audience. But, if you have a nice, active imagination and really appreciate cleverness in your movies, and if you are not too much of a cynical realist where you roll your eyes at anything that strays even a little from brutal realism, then this film should blow your frigg'n pants off!

NOT giving anything away, but towards the end where the film, shall we say, 'Changes direction' so fast that you will hit the ground with the worse case of vertigo you've ever had, the sequences were done so well and cleverly, that THAT is what I meant in saying that Tony Scott, if he were still alive, would likely get down on his knees and pay obeisance to this director. I personally really enjoy cleverness in films, even if it strains believability somewhat. I just LOVE it when the film makers come up with something INTELLIGENT and challenging and actually treat the audience with at least some respect for their ability to comprehend things and follow a complex and twisty story.

Anyway, if you are even a passing fan of David Twohy or if you like clever, twisty (and I DO mean twisty) Thrillers, and if you are not TOO much of a hard core realist and have some imagination, then you should really enjoy this movie!

Actually pretty awesome

Author: kschrier from United States
17 August 2011

I wasn't expecting much when this popped up on Hbo but I was pleasantly surprised. It is a good suspenseful story about a honeymooning couple amid the beautiful backdrop of Hawaii. This was of course of more interest to me as I was just about to get married, but it was the perfect movie for a lazy Saturday. I saw it once in the morning, and then as soon as my fiancé (now husband) got home, saw it again the same day. It captured my attention both times watching it, which is more than I can say about the tons of other movies where I spend it IMing, texting or surfing the web. No it's not a masterpiece, the editing is just okay and sometimes the dialogue and acting is a bit silly, but it is very engaging and has a great suspenseful vibe. The Hawaiian landscape is gorgeous! Highly Recommended for any rainy day.

Great cast - F'ed story and plot

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
4 June 2010

I was really looking forward to this movie, because it didn't last long in the theaters in my city.

Now I know why.

While it had a great cast, it had a F'ed plot - whereas other reviewers state the same as me...the bad "twist".

The only reason it was a twist is nobody really had any reason to go on a killing spree in this film. The story just had to end, so somebody threw in a little story of drug addiction and some retardedness and that was the end.

Wow...yeah...now what I was expecting at all...and certainly not a twist either - other than the fact that the 3rd or 4th act sucked! All aside, a great cast and well - some decent scenery...but then nobody had to design the set.