A Perfect Getaway (2009) Poster

226 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Do NOT buy into the negative comments!
oiblay20 December 2009
First off, you need to know that I joined IMDb purely to undo the diabolically misleading rating that this movie has gotten. I must say, I was not expecting much from it, but as the credits rolled by, I quickly made the decision that this movie was going up on my facebook list of favorite movies.

Milla Jovovich has never been a spectacular actress in my book. She's great in action flicks (I am a massive fan of the Resident Evil series!), but I've always found that she goes a bit overboard when taking on dramatic or real life roles. I was more than pleasantly surprised when it dawned on me just how good a job she did on this film! Granted, no one needed Oscar worthy acting to pull off their roles; every actor in this film held their own.

From beginning to end, I was totally drawn in - both character and story-wise. Sure, you come across some clichés here and there, but that's totally to be expected. The entire movie is cleverly put together and is sure to keep you guessing every step of the way. The characters are well developed, the acting is great, the scenery and cinematography are outstanding - some very inventive shots towards the climax of the film - and the story will definitely leave you with the feeling that "it" actually hasn't all been done before.

Every person that has rated this movie low falls under one of two categories: Either they missed an integral part of the story (I watched the film twice just to make sure I was right about this), or they have ludicrously high standards.

Movies are by no means my life. I'm sure my rating of 8 is probably a bit biased (for some reason, this movie really did it for me on pretty much all fronts), but any rating below a 7, in my humble opinion, says more about a lack on the reviewer's end... not the film's. This is definitely a must see for anyone into this genre! One for the collection, even!
178 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much better than I expected.
ValianceInEnd7 August 2009
A Perfect Getaway was nowhere near a perfect film, but it was certainly a good film. The trailers made it out to be a much more non-stop, action thriller than it really was, showing the last 20 minutes. The majority of the film centers around paranoia. It is true though that the plot twist can be seen coming from a mile away, but how it is delivered is where it succeeds. While I personally wasn't surprised, how the twist was presented was quite original and chill-inducing. I'll leave it at that. Where this film really succeeds is in the cinematography and acting, both of which are superb. The locale is beautiful, all the colors are vibrantly displayed and everything looks crisp. There are some scenes with intriguing camera work that works well to add intensity and be intuitive. All the actors really give it their best and create believable characters. Milla was good as usual, but Zahn really surprised me. I never really gave him credit for how good of an actor he is until about now. Overall, it's worth the watch and is ultimately very entertaining with wonderful characters.
137 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another winner from Twohy
Cujo1085 August 2010
Newlyweds Cliff (Steve Zahn) and Cydney (Milla Jovovich) are honeymooning in Hawaii when they decide to hike a popular trail through the lush Hawaiian wilderness. Halfway into their hike, the two learn about the slaying of another newlywed couple on one of the neighboring islands. The killers? A man and woman. Soon after, they encounter another couple on the trail, Nick (Timothy Olyphant) and his girlfriend, Gina (Kiele Sanchez). The four continue on the trail as a group, but it isn't long before Cliff and Cydney begin to suspect their new acquaintances of being the killers. There's also the shady hitchhikers, Kale (Chris Hemsworth) and Cleo (Marley Shelton, looking particularly nice with braided hair), who seem to be following them.

While I was able to correctly guess the identity of the killer's just from watching the trailer, I still had a great time with this. The performances are really strong. I've heard others say that Zahn and Jovovich aren't a believable pairing. I've seen several instances of stunning women with less attractive guys, so that's nonsense. Aside from that, they're terrific together. This is a dialogue-heavy film with several amusing character moments thrown in, all of which the actors nail. Olyphant is the standout as Nick, a former marine with a bit of a screw loose. The humor actually works, the quirkiness adding to the picture. I also thought that the B&W exposition scene was well-done, better than most of it's ilk. These types of scenes are generally frowned upon, but here it winds up being a highlight.

The Puerto Rican locations (subbing for Hawaii) are quite lovely, though the dangers of the trail aren't played up as much as I'd expected. It isn't an element that's necessarily needed, however, as I found the film to be plenty suspenseful as is. The killers were obvious to me, yes, but the I was more caught up in the situations than the reveal. For instance, the situation of the reveal made for a terrific moment. It's all in how it's done. While I could have done without the annoying screenwriter in-jokes, they don't ruin the suspense either.

I'd say that director David Twohy has more hits than misses, and this clever slice of pulpy entertainment continues that trend.
53 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good thriller. Keeps you guessing.
dustyjoe9 August 2009
This is a good movie. However, it will probably not get a fair shot by most. The reason is the way the story is structured in which apparently nothing happens in the first 45 minutes. For today's average 18-34 audience this is almost intolerable as they are now conditioned to expect cheap CGI thrills and impossibly huge explosions in the first two minutes of the film (not necessarily a bad thing BTW). What underrated Director/Writer David Towhy is doing is actually putting your brain to work during the first two acts of the movie, all the while enjoying some incredible visuals of the Hawaiian tropical rain forest. Towhy concentrates on subtle character development. The acting is good. Mila Jovovich and Timothy Oliphant are the two that carry the film throughout. All in all I have to say that Towhy put out a fairly plausible story here with none of the CGI generated hyperbole that we see so much of nowadays.
126 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Twist" ending a slap in the face to anyone intelligent
dalxray28 October 2009
First of all, I can't believe SO many people are rating this film so highly as a great thriller when the first half of the movie is deliberately false. Remember people, it's only a good twist if it does not violate the internal logic of the film! If you spent the time to read a murder mystery and the murderer turned out to be some guy that wasn't introduced until the last page, would you be feel satisfied, or ripped-off? Unfortunately you can see the twist coming a mile away but frankly I didn't want to believe the talented David Twohey would stoop so low. Basically the first half shows numerous scenes with the Zahn/Jovovich couple wondering (to themselves) who the murderers are. Unless you are outright lying to the audience, denying them the chance to figure it out, these scenes clearly establish that Zahn/Jovovich are not the killers. Then comes the "twist" - they are in fact the killers and the filmmakers have been lying to you. Absolutely idiotic and a slap in the face to anyone who appreciates a well-crafted movie. I'd rate this lower but for the good performances of the principal actors, especially Oliphant. Rewatch "The Usual Suspects" instead.
110 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Blatantly Inconsistent
chubbuck3519 August 2009
I would have given this movie 7 or maybe even 8 stars if not for one HUGE inconsistency in the movie: The characters who end up being the killers are completely inconsistent between the 1st and 2nd halves of the movie. For example, they have multiple "secret" conversations with just the two of them trying to "figure out" if one of the other couples could possibly be the murderers. They make comments such as "It really could be them", and imply that they really think a specific couple is the murderers. This is completely inconsistent because if they were alone (and they were the murderers all along) then why would they feel the need to speak like this to each other all by themselves???? It does not reconcile. The only reason was to "trick" (or basically, lie) to the audience by making them completely different characters half-way through the movie, and ignoring everything they might have lead us to believe about them up to that point, whether it makes sense or not. I love a good plot twist, but when the writer/director has to lie and make the characters inconsistent like this in order to do so, it really turns me off of the movie.

Other than the above, the scenery was unbelievable and makes me want to go to Hawaii very badly, and I thought the acting was terrific.
101 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Perfect Wasteaway
Jonny_Numb9 August 2009
David Twohy has been associated with some rather notable films, from "The Fugitive" (regarded as one of the best thrillers of the '90s) to well-regarded sci-fi like "The Arrival" and "Pitch Black." In "A Perfect Getaway," he threads his script (which he also directed) with a self-referential attitude toward the craft of screen writing (a heavy-handed nod to the "Scream" trilogy) that is immediately problematic, since, well...this movie exemplifies everything that is WRONG with the modern thriller. From the generic title to the egregious miscasting to the sloppy pacing and awkward transitions, "Getaway" has more in common with a made-for-cable production, circa 1993. Odd couple Steve Zahn (he's a budding Hollywood screenwriter!) and Milla Jovovich (she's a smiling bubblehead!) are celebrating their honeymoon in Hawaii, just as a string of murders are sweeping the island (gasp!); once there, they run afoul two Creepy Hitchhikers (one played by "Grindhouse"'s Marley Shelton) and another young couple played by Timothy Olyphant (he's a creepy war vet with a titanium plate in his head!) and Kiele Sanchez (she smokes dope and guts wild goats!). As a result of Twohy's self-referential gimmickry, "Getaway" consistently defuses its own scant thrills, and fails to muster much suspense; as it goes for Hitchcock with its character-based story machinations (even incorporating an anvil-subtle sense of macabre humor), the director all but admits his desperation in the last act, when a peppermint-tinged flashback sequence (that anticlimactically goes on for far too long) abandons motive and character to whomp the viewer over the head with a succession of increasingly pathetic "twists." While Twohy's script does them absolutely no favors, the cast is simply incapable of elevating the material, in no small part because the performers themselves are so disparate: Zahn, best known for his comedic persona, does well in the film's first half, but when asked to go "dark," becomes a laughable portrait of evil; Jovovich, known mostly for action roles, fails as the starry-eyed suburban naif, but succeeds as a rugged ass-kicker; and Olyphant, a character actor with a spotty track record, is unconvincing as a Forrest Gump-like simpleton nattering away about "screenplay writers." Since the mystery at its core is of little interest (and even less once revealed), "A Perfect Getaway" leaves the viewer plenty of time to ponder how a thriller this pedestrian and trite was deemed worthy of a release by a major studio, even in the midst of one of the worst cinematic summers in recent memory. (Wait, I think I get it now...)
32 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice, but with disturbing character inconsistency
judecas21 October 2009
First the pros - 99% of the movie was shot in daylight in the beautiful Hawaiian nature, really relaxing to the eyes. Good cast, good acting overall. Interesting story, which actually pulled my attention and made me watch the movie. The promised twist was there and was a big one, but more about it in cons... Cons - Well, the promised "twist" was a huge and unexpected one. So unexpected it was really difficult to believe. It made me wondering like "Wow, wait a minute! Weren't they doing this and this a few minutes ago? Didn't they tell this and this? Ehmmm.... they actually did, so what the...?" The script wasn't really finished (well) IMHO, it made me feel like the story was born during writing the script, but after finishing it there was no time/will to rework the beginning and synchronize it with the end. This made the lead characters really inconsistent and left me quiet unsatisfied after the movie ended, even if I have to say the final action sequence was good enough.
85 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hawaiian Honeymoon
Claudio Carvalho16 February 2010
During the honeymoon in Hawaii, the screenwriter Cliff Anderson (Steve Zahn) and his wife Cydney (Milla Jovovich) decide to hike in the Kalalau Trail to a paradisiacal beach. While driving to the spot, they refuse to give a lift to the strange couple Kale (Chris Hemsworth) and Cleo (Marley Shelton). Cliff and Cydney befriend the former marine Nick (Timothy Olyphant) in the trail and then they meet three girls that tell them that the police are chasing a man and a woman that had slaughtered a couple in honeymoon in Oahu, removing their teeth and finger tips. Cliff and Cydney decide to go along with Nick and they meet his girlfriend Gina (Kiele Sanchez) that is camped in Secret Falls. The two couples decide to tag along to the beach together, and along their journey, they feel tense with possible stalkers until the police helicopter captures Kale and Cleo. But danger is still in the Kalalau Trail.

"A Perfect Getaway" is a surprisingly great thriller, with Steve Zahn performing an unusual role. The screenplay is excellent and the plot is very well-constructed. When I finished watching the DVD, I decided to watch the beginning again to find any possible plot hole, but the dialogs are ambiguous and it is impossible to discover the identities of the killers. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "A Trilha" ("The Trail")
41 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you think you know who dun it, think again! Well done!
brusimm22 December 2010
It's hard to say anything about "The Perfect Getaway" without giving away the great way that director/writer David Twohy brings this classic tale of "screaming, running for your life" movie to the screen.

Some may call the first hour a bit slow but it's really the perfect build to the final act. Dialog and plot developments keep the viewer's mind fully guessing as to who might start killing whoever! And if you've never seen this movie, and never looked up any spoiler outlines, I'm guessing your guess will be wrong. Until the reveal, I couldn't decide who it was that's going to snap, even when I thought it was becoming obvious.

Timothy Olyphant is awesome in this role, as is the rest of the primary cast, with Chris Hemsworth being the angry hitchhiker and Steve Zahn & Milla Jovovich playing the part of the honeymooners.

I give Twohy 2 thumbs up for making this movie fresh, engaging and confusing.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this