IMDb > Solomon Kane (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Solomon Kane

Solomon Kane More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 14: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Doesn't really have anything going for it

Author: bennyhagen from Hungary
10 October 2012

For a movie that is about as predictable as a funeral Solomon Kane is extraordinarily keen on exposition dialog. I can't remember one line that was not there to verbally advance the plot or unnecessarily explain the shallow emotional aspects. James Purefoy as Kane doing a horrible acting job here bounding with the odd looking peasant girl wasn't too convincing either, making pretty much of the overly serious pursuit for her rather incomprehensible for me. Unfortunetely there is no refuge in the utterly uninteresting action scenes either and even the CGI looks kind of lame. If Solomon Kane has anything going for it, it would have to be the story, but as badly executed as it is, I rather tried to imagine it as the original graphic novel, which worked much better for me. Maybe rather read those? 2/10

Great movie.

Author: ray-331-768935 from Australia, N.S.W
30 August 2012

Stop, good movie, watch it, good movie, great shots, great story, great acting, plausible, believable, great action, a great film. This is a great movie. It should have rated higher, it has it all. It is a well constructed and deserving film. It makes full use of story, effects and great cinematography. World class, top stuff. I was happy to watch it. It was worth every min. Great movie. There is not much to dislike about this film or its genre. It is a great classic ride and a good standard. great movie effects, great acting, great story, why did this movie not make it to the all timers? I guess its an example of why these reviews are not always that accurate.

Mediocre, yet somewhat enjoyable!

Author: wolvesguardmycoffin from Sweden
14 December 2011

As some of you probably know, Solomon Kane is based on a character by Robert E. Howard, the creator of also Conan the Barbarian (Notice Mr. Von Sydow casting in both movies).

What one might expect from watching the poster or DVD-box of this product, is slightly something else from what you will get from watching the movie itself. Some might find it disappointing, others might not even care.

Lets begin with the environment and setting of this movie. Keeping in mind the not-very-high budget, I must say that this is the most impressing. This is the main reason why I finished the whole movie. And putting James Purefoy, the sneaky Mark Antony from the great series "Rome" from 2005-2007, into this aura of misery, darkness and evil, really makes one expect somewhat more out of what it is that you are watching. But he still manages to keep a good standard in his acting- skills and he is without doubt the most talented actor put in the casting (besides Max Von Sydow, of course).

The main problem for me with this movie, is that there is no one else we see nearly as much as we see of the Protagonist. No side-plots, no one to share his road towards his goal. What we see is Solomon Kane riding through the land tortured by the evil sorcerer Malachi, rescuing prisoners, killing the possessed minions of the evil sorcerer and meeting potentially interesting people, that could have had far more important rolls in the movie, than they did.

The plot of this movie kicks off quite late in the movie, I feel. Making some earlier parts almost pointless. The Monastery-part could definitely have been left out for heavier foundations in the plot itself, since it plays no role at all in his adventures later in the movie.

The actor who casts as Malachi, the evil sorcerer that conquered the land and enslaved the people, to me feels very unmotivated and everything he speaks of is pure nonsense... "Are you still the good, loyal son?". Obviously, from the flashbacks of Kane containing him leaving his father and pushing his brother off a cliff, Kane is neither good, or loyal. So what in heavens name did he mean by that?

The lines of the Antagonist were very poorly written and without much thought. This could have improved essentially, in my humble opinion.

Still, it's a movie worth your while and the environment is perfect for the story of Solomon Kane on his quest to find the puritan daughter Meredith (which also could have had more background in the plot. Maybe a love story?) and rescue her from the servant of Satan, Malachi. And I encourage watching of it.

Excellent!

Author: rhood-596-994132 from South Africa
11 August 2011

One of THE best movies i have seen. I have been in theaters since i was 5 years old...slipping away to the movies (just a little background of myself). I rate this movie between 9 and 10, as the way it's done, storyline and actors as well as the music accompanying the movie has been placed excellently...Be "broad-minded" to this movie and don't let the first part (Before the name of this movie appears)put you off...the movie actually STARTS AFTER the Title. This is a type of movie that has a lot of humanity put into it...and makes one think about life! Solomon Kane was a "baddie", but changed his ways. The story tells about obstacles, etc that crosses one's life when trying to be/become a good person...instead of being evil... Cudo's to the writer and everyone that was part of this movie...

Solomon Kane

Author: slayerjmk95 from United States
22 September 2011

This film was, without a doubt, one of the best films of 2009 that was NOT even released in the United States. Solomon Kane is based on the character created by Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan the Barbarian, and this film serves as the origin of Solomon who becomes a 'slayer of evil' after many unfortunate events in his life. Just don't compare this to Van Helsing because Solomon Kane is a genius's work, while Van Helsing is a B-Movie with over-the-top action, an OK script, terrible directing, and characters you don't give two craps about.

Masterfully directed by Michael J. Bassett, Solomon Kane captures the dark and gritty atmosphere of the 1600's, filled with fantasy elements and realistic undertones such as crucifixions of those posing as wicked beings and the growth of the Ottoman empire. James Purefoy captures the character of Solomon so well that you could say it's 'picture perfect'. A man who once threw himself into battles has now taken on a life of solitude and peace, until he finds out that there's an evil growing in the lands, and it will destroy everything unless Solomon can stand up to fight it. The overall setting is wonderful and captivating, giving us a look at the beautiful landscapes of Africa and England before civilization began to flourish too much (the modern-age look). So, is Solomon Kane worth your time? Yes. Your money? Yes. Solomon Kane is one of the best origin fantasy films of all time, with bloody and realistic action sequences, incredible CGI effects (which beat the new Conan film's effects), top-notch acting, and a story that sticks with you forever, as well as the characters.

9/10 Stars***

It was sad....again

Author: Abhi Gautam from India
30 January 2011

After watching this film, I could not help feel sorry for the simple fact that so many comic/superhero plots are being destroyed one by one by unimaginative and naive attempts of bringing them to screen. It is just an addition to a heartbreaking list of sinful attempts like Dare devil, Van Helsing, Catwoman, Elektra, Phantom, Punisher...and so on. If it wasn't for the first two spidermans and recent classics of sorts (at-least for me) the Nolan's Batman series, I was starting to wonder that if ever superhero movies would get the treatment they deserve.

All in all Solomon Pain (thats what it was) was quite simply putting, a naive attempt to a highly potential plot. The acting was bad if not horrendous, dialogs and reactions were absolutely clichéd, graphics sets and atmosphere created were at best ordinary.

I hope that talented directors along with big production houses will see the market for superhero movies and come out with some admirable pieces of work like latest Batman series. It was really amazing to see how these fantasy like characters (Batman and Joker) were brought to real and believable setting.

Dark fantasy

Author: ciderwar from United Kingdom
4 May 2010

A man's quest for redemption leads him to using all his deadly skills to redeem himself. This is quite a nice movie, and I enjoyed Purefoy's performance as the character of Kane went through various aspects of change during the story. For my taste it got a bit too monster & special effects reliant as it went on, detracting from the more actually sinister first half. However I understand this was probably the nature of the original source material. If you enjoy fantasy movies then I feel this is well worth watching, just not the film it could have been (should have tightened up climatic scenes with better sword fights and less monsters, focused more on Kane rather than random helpers).

excellent film

Author: Hector_vs4 from Australia
8 June 2010

Wow excellent movie the sets are all really nice if a little bleary. For people who say this is a copy of Van Helsing they are completely wrong because this beats Van Helsing in every way. Purefoy gives a good brooding performance and the support cast all do their jobs. The fighting scenes are spectacular even when compared to high budget films. The movie moves at a good pace through most of the film and plot holds together for the most part with some decent twists and turns that your not really expecting. The ending is a bit of a let down but it serves to keep the door open for possible sequels. Overall if you see a copy near you get as soon as possible because its worth every penny.

Reminded me of the sword and sorcery videos of the 80's

Author: kurgan_uk from United Kingdom
24 February 2010

Back in the mid 80's my brother and i would chuck a couple of pounds together and hire 4 or 5 videos for the weekend. We would get a couple of top rated vids and a couple of cheap vids. Invariably the cheap vids were straight to video sword and sorcery efforts that all seemed to use the same studio sets and all had the same basic plots, Hero strives through adversity to save young lady from clutches of power hungry wizard.

Solomon Caine,despite being from a great storyteller, reminded me of those cheap videos. Same basic plot, just has better special effects. Watch it if there is nothing else you would prefer to watch, but for £6 you're not going to get your moneys worth.

Dark, moody, epic sword n fantasy film!

Author: doomas10 from Manchester, England
21 February 2010

Before i write my sentences with a structure of a ten year old, i need to say one thing. This film was one of the most anticipated ones ever for me! I love Solomon Kane and of course its creator Robert E. Howard (he created Conan the barbarian as well. Oh yeah!). Now why i was so much into Solomon Kane? Because the trailer looked super promising and James Purefoy utterly convincing as the ultimate antihero. Trailer wise, i saw some crazy stuff. Demons, zombies, sword fights,sorcerers and more. The Result? The movie is just awesome! I was absorbed into huge amounts of awesomeness that this film offers from screen-shot 1! The story is simple and contains a great premise.

The look of the film is just outstanding! When you have a film set in medieval times you need to make it look real. The environment and the surroundings are like a second character. They have to look real. Well in this part the sets (indoor or outdoor) are just amazing. Employing the help from the Czech artist Jan Cilecek, the production design especially when it comes to the interior castle scenes, is just stunning and creepy. The throne room of Malachi or the mirror corridor sequence embrace the screen and show off their vivid detail. The colors, the photography, everything looks marvelous! Same applies for the costumes and make up. I believe Basset put a great amount of detail in the look of the film. It looks so Medieval! Fans of this sub-genre 'sword and sorcery' will not be disappointed. Every possible scene that you have thought, imagined or dreamed for this type of film is here. Hanged people on trees among mist in the background? Check. Skulls on the walls? Check. Snowy forests? check! Dark castles at the top of a hill? Check! This is the wet dream of every proper fan.

Congratulations to the creature design and effects team. I have to admit that in a world filled with eye popping effects, they managed to create some really nasty ones. Honestly, when the first demon arrives, i had my jaw dropped on the floor. Not because it is something unique or original but it is how it is being presented. His voice, his clothing, generally his outlook is taken from our worst nightmares. Did i mention that he/she? has a FLAMING SWORD? Besides this dude, there is variety of stuff in the film. Witches, zombies, priests, sorcerers, a weird masked dude with a big sword who "infects" people with his malice, turning them into slaves and many more. These are ideas well executed as well as being brilliant!

This is not a kids film as there is an enormous degree of violence and limp chopping. Decapitations, stabbings, flying limps and many more are present. Solomon's fighting style is truly unique and far away from the choreographic boredom of Hollywood. Michael J. Basset (the director of the creepy "Deathwatch" and the ace " Wilderness") made an adult fantasy film. On the other hand, the movie is entirely supported by Purefoy who fits the role perfectly. His eyes express his sadness, anger and his continuous effort for redemption. He is just superb and a likable antihero which you can related to. He leads a great cast which includes the names of Max Von Sydow, Jason Flemming, Pete Postlethwaite and Mackenzie Crook among others.

How about the story? Well we've seen it so many times however, it was written way back in 1928! Nevertheless, i think the concept of a guy who tries to redeem his soul is very interesting and intriguing especially if it is set in medieval England. I enjoyed his back story and i cared about his drama. The action doesn't start until the second half of the film (although there is a terrific intro) since before that we are following a hermit Kane wondering around and meeting with the rest of the cast. After a very unhappy incident Kane kicks ass as he used to do. Just for the final third of the film- the confrontation with the sorcerer is just cool-it is worth your money. Period. And did i mention that there is no side kick or funny lines? Thank god.

Besides all the enthusiasm written above i have to admit that the film feels kinda short. If it was two hours (or more) i would have been more pleased than i already was. The character Malachi was doing more of a cameo rather than being an antagonist who makes our (anti) hero's life miserable through the whole film. I would have liked a complete face off between Kane and Malachi as well. Sword vs sorcery! In addition, i thought that certain intriguing characters had no purpose or at least there were underdeveloped thus they were more "satelites" rather than something really important in the plot.

Final thoughts: the action is ace, bloody and well orchestrated, the sets and landscapes amazing, the lead actor perfect, the supporting cast solid and the effects(not many thank god!) serve the story. Special plus to the creatures design team! One of my favorite movies of all time! However, more character development and some answers for certain "satelite" personalities and their purpose would be ace but we can not have it all can we? All i can say is this: i left the theater with a smile and faith for the genre!

Have a 10/10

Viva Michael J Basset, Viva James Purefoy!

P.S the villains are ace!

Page 10 of 14: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]