IMDb > Solomon Kane (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Solomon Kane

Solomon Kane More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Author: coiragrigione from Switzerland
16 December 2011

Whenever I devoured the adventures of Solomon Kane (he is my favourite hero) by Robert E. Howard, I always sensed between the lines that Solomon, despite being a taciturn loner, was part of a bigger plan. The makers of this film had apparently a similar notion and supply a fantastic and fantastical back story to this character that fights evil in his adventures with a driven determination. Now I love Solomon Kane even more.

This story here starts with Solomon as a greedy, cruel man seemingly without humanity. During a raid in a foreign land, he happens upon the devil's reaper who wants to claim his soul. Solomon puts up a formidable fight and makes a narrow escape. Could there be a shred of humanity left in him after all? Why else would he refuse to let his soul be damned? Solomon renounces violence despite his extraordinary fighting skills in hopes of saving his soul somehow. Nonetheless, bad dreams and a tormenting fear that he is utterly deserted continue to plague him. His destined path is full of painful trials but not at all what he thought it had to be and soon he's up against gruesome, evil beings. Yet he proves his mettle and his faith in all things good & righteous. I couldn't but root for him. It is heart-achingly beautiful how ultimately Solomon does lay down his life and soul for a friend and thus is redeemed when he thought all was lost already.

James Purefoy is perfect as Solomon, lends a stern, sometimes even severe, and tough gravitas, but also a vulnerability and humility to this character who touches my heart like no other hero. Purefoy's fencing/fighting skills are amazing and all the other cast (Rachel Hurd-Wood was stunning), the visuals, the action, the score are outstanding in this film! Some images are downright haunting and linger with me still. For example Solomon flicking his cutlass with his foot off the ground into his hand, Solomon throwing on his cape, two pestilence doctors with their masks turning their heads to look after Solomon as he passes them, crows on trees in a wintry English landscape, Solomon plummeting off a 15 ft cross in slow motion against a cloudy sky, a rattle made of a baby's skull in a witch's hand and many many more. Every frame is breath taking, many bleak and gloomy, but all a visual feast.

In short, 'Solomon Kane' is a compelling must see!

What a surprise

Author: prps from Belgium
23 June 2010

After reading the reviews here I decided to see it. I must say it was wrong of me to wait until now (Has been out for some time now). Definitely a surprise ! Although I did not know the story, and for that matter the actors, it was refreshingly well done. The effects could be better but in this case it did not bother me at all. Soundtrack was well done and the actors did perform above what is expected of such a "budget" production. Basically you should see it as it is one of those movies which surprise you by doing exactly what a movie should do ... Entertain you. Hopefully we will not see a sequel as this story ends well (emphasis on ends). (underwold X Y Z anyone ....) Great movie, loved it

Laughable script met with on-par action.

Author: im_goode from United States
15 May 2010

This is very much a typical low budget "Good vs. Evil" story. If you can swallow the poor acting and boring script it has some neat effects and action. It's not half bad for a Saturday afternoon viewing. (5/10 = It's exactly half bad, but whatever)

You can predict most every scene and there's no real surprises, the whole movie takes itself way too seriously. The script is cliché at best, and the acting is quite poor all around featuring no good performances. Along with that there are some mildly entertaining monsters, and some decent swordplay.

If you have kids that were anything like I was when I was growing up, I'm sure they'll enjoy it (be warned it is a bit gory). Or if you're just a big fan of campy sword and sorcery movies, it might be worth a rental. But to anyone else, I'd recommend watching another movie.

story is good but lacking strong acting and dialogues

Author: shamshoddin from Kurnool, India
22 October 2016

story is good with certain missing links. Too much is tried to show in short duration. Actors are good but it failed to make impression on me so that i could talk about the movie with my friends. Story is about the fight between the devil and humans. Direction was good but needs improvement in casting. Lead actor does not have enough physique to show case as the savior but leading lady is beautiful enough to attract the leading male. The scene where Solomon kane changed his attitude from 'man of peace' to old himself, ---- dialogues, acting, direction and screenplay needs vast improvement. The scene was very critical but it was taken as B-grade movie. The best scene of the movie is the opening scene. Similar scene is needed at the climax also but failed to do so.

In the 17th England, a ruthless warrior set to rediscover his path.

Author: Reno Rangan from Somewhere in the Cosmos
4 October 2016

There's no reason, but after a long due I saw this. I'm pretty impressed with the film's production, but in the end it was an average film for me. James Purefoy was good, but the story needed someone very husky looking actor to play the Solomon. That's what spoiled my watch, other than that I enjoyed most of the film. Because the tone and the pace were excellent, but it was a predictable story.

A savage warrior leading his men somewhere in the Northern Africa, when he's sensing he almost defeated them, comes to know his soul is damned. He escapes there, leaves his all that life behind and looks for a peaceful future. He was born to be a warrior, that's why he left his own kingdom. So in his second chance to rediscover his path, he must achieve the impossible to defeat his opponent.

Full of dark and wet atmosphere really gives that required medieval look. The locations were well used and also the costumes, so if you like films that sets in this era, particularly stunts, then you might enjoy it. But if you ask me, I would say it is just a one time watchable film. Entertainment is guaranteed, but because of something, the film does not not look complete. So recommended for the selected viewers.

A Final Word

Author: Marco Anonymous
23 September 2016

As with all movies well worth watching, the so-called professional film critics will usually give it a poor rating and review. This is one such film.

Based on Robert E Howards Solomon Kane character, in this film Solomon Kane walks the solitary road of Christian redemption in the act of saving an innocent girl from Hellish forces.

Naturally, he will attempt this all alone against seemingly impossible odds; but he is in the right, and has Providence on his side.

Adrenaline-pumping, heart-warming, tear-jerking -- this film is not to be taken lightly and cast aside as a 'B movie'. That is an injustice, simply speaking. It is also ironic as an unfair review, as Solomon Kane fights against all injustice.

As a final word - this is the role James Purefoy was born to play...

Enjoy.

different

Author: Kirpianuscus from Romania
2 July 2016

a character. with a coherent story who reflects his transformation. fragments of a form of Middle Age - social aspects, people, sufferance. a vulnerable hero. fantasy. and fight scenes who are parts not axis for film. for the fans of genre or for simple viewer, Solomon Kane is different by many other films from the same genre of the last decade. because the story is not a pretext for the statue of the lead character. because the black and white are mixed in inspired manner to give a fantasy precise dose of realism. because the historical references - the Dutch costume of Solomon Kane , first - are good points for a seductive story about a mission and about noble duty. so, an interesting film.

Average but fun

Author: Reuben Saunders from United Kingdom
12 March 2016

Being an idiotic teenager, I am easily pleased by the good ol' ridiculous violence and overwhelming amounts of fake blood when it comes to films — or even games. As expected, this film is filled to the bloody core with it, and as it is well choreographed, visually impressive and with bloody amounts of blood, it's great, as bloody action goes.

Nonetheless, it's by far the best thing the film has to offer. A slightly cheesy script, some hammy performances and a definitely- not-influenced-by-The-Lord-of-the-Rings plot mean Solomon Kane's not exactly a work of genius. However, I happened to like the 1600's west country setting, which is fittingly gloomy and pays homage to the cider drinking farmers' land — even though Axemouth Castle unfortunately does not exist. I forgive 'em for that though, because I don't really care about that nitty gritty stuff; especially considering all the great villain designs.

The cheesiness is a bit of a problem though, and a lot of the performances are indeed hammy, as the film also doesn't try that much that's new. Even if there is some great action in a good setting Solomon Kane has its fair share of flaws and isn't one for the ages. For a teenage boy like me it is enjoyable for what it is, but, I think I've made my point.

66/100.

Very good film based on the life of the Puritan Solomon Kane.

Author: romail100 from -
15 February 2016

We are in England somewhere in the 1610's. In the film Solomon Kane is seen initially to fight in a naval battle being captain in the English navy. Years later we find him settled in a monastery seeking desperately a quite life in the presence of God. After the urge of the local chaplain he is convinced to pay a visit to his old household and meet his father and brother. The English countryside, however, is not a safe place. Villages are ravaged by local bandits who kill and enslave at will. It is clear that Kane tries to avoid any confrontation. During the trip he befriends a family of travelers who aim to reach the local port and take a ship to the New World (America). The movie continues recounting the events till his arrival back at his ancestral home.

Solomon Kane was a character in a number of stories written by Robert E. Howard the creator of Conan the Barbarian. Kane was a Puritan, a man driven by a strong religious belief in the power of Good and the necessity to serve justice in a corrupt world. Kane fought in his youth under Sir Francis Drake and then disillusioned perhaps from the violence led a solitary life as a drifter in continental Europe and Africa.

The film was a pleasant surprise for me. Kane is depicted as a troubled man with a strong urge to serve justice with a religious fervor. His Puritan upbringing coupled with his military past make him a very interesting character. A very good film that made me want to read some of the Kane stories of Robert Howard.

Surprisingly nice...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
23 December 2015

I found the "Solomon Kane" DVD in the local secondhand DVD store for about $2, so I bought it without knowing what it was about. Truth be told, then it was the cover that convinced me. And now having seen it I can only say wow, I have been missing out on something great.

This is a dark fantasy movie with lots of action, a deep storyline, great characters and good special effects. And I must admit that I was more than pleasantly surprised with this movie.

The story is about Solomon Kane, a man who left his past and heritage behind; a master of war, destruction and terror. His very being is cursed and is bound for Hell, and the Devil is sure to collect. But having changed his wicked ways, Solomon Kane seeks redemption, but can he find it with Hell's forces in hot pursuit?

I found the various aspects of the storyline to be interesting and nicely tied together. Director Michael J. Bassett managed to put together an interesting movie containing a good combination of action, fantasy and adventure.

James Purefoy was phenomenal in the role of Solomon Kane. I can't claim to be familiar with the work of James Purefoy prior to "Solomon Kane", but this movie sure did make a lasting impression.

"Solomon Kane" is an entertaining movie that you should watch if you enjoy the fantasy movie genre.