IMDb > Solomon Kane (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Solomon Kane

Solomon Kane More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Doesn't really have anything going for it

Author: bennyhagen from Hungary
10 October 2012

For a movie that is about as predictable as a funeral Solomon Kane is extraordinarily keen on exposition dialog. I can't remember one line that was not there to verbally advance the plot or unnecessarily explain the shallow emotional aspects. James Purefoy as Kane doing a horrible acting job here bounding with the odd looking peasant girl wasn't too convincing either, making pretty much of the overly serious pursuit for her rather incomprehensible for me. Unfortunetely there is no refuge in the utterly uninteresting action scenes either and even the CGI looks kind of lame. If Solomon Kane has anything going for it, it would have to be the story, but as badly executed as it is, I rather tried to imagine it as the original graphic novel, which worked much better for me. Maybe rather read those? 2/10

Good medieval fantasy action movie, with solid story line

Author: Petek335 from United States
2 September 2012

If you like the medieval fantasy action genre, you'll like this movie! It's dark and violent as you'd expect from this type of movie. The story line is solid and better than most and had me intrigued and interested through the entire movie. The story of Soloman's path to redemption from his former evil ways, overplayed with the story of his family, is deeper than many movies of this genre. The cinematography and acting were of high quality adding to an overall great experience. James Purefoy was superb as Soloman Kane, and good fit for the role. The movie had a satisfying ending to wrap it all up. I very much enjoyed this movie and recommend it.

The best cinematic interpretation of a REH character thus far.

Author: punisher5150 from United States
28 August 2011

Solomon Kane ranks as one of the best dark fantasy movies available as well. For those not familiar with the character, watch this movie. You would never guess this was made on a relatively low budget. It has the look and fell of a summer blockbuster. Is is very well acted by ALL of the cast. James Purfoy looks like Solomon Kane from the comics and books. You could feel the weight he carried on his shoulders throughout the film. Although this isn't a straight adaption of the Solomon Kane stories of REH (none of the movies based on his characters have been), it definitely captures the spirit of those stories. This movie is a must see for those who love the fantasy genre!

Sword and sorcery ahoy!

Author: jonnytheshirt from United Kingdom
15 October 2012

James Purefoy is an under rated actor and he's displayed the best action lead in a long time in Solomon Kane. This film is not without it's minor pitfalls, personally I think CGI can be over used and although not essentially a problem in this movie that was the only complaint I could make in that there was some I thought could have been done better. However that does not detract from the extremely strong casting in James with the late and great Pete Postlethwaite, gritty back drops and convincing action as Purefoy throws himself with abandon in the the sword fights he really looks like he knows what he's doing. I'll be honest I love this type of movie which is rarely done justice and the American market not getting a release until this year was a shame I'd really love to see more from this director on this type of movie. Conan was remade recently with a much bigger budget and the two of them are like chalk and cheese, so many things for me were done right in Kane and I cannot recommend it enough for fantasy fans.

A successful fantasy film

Author: tompotter83 from United Kingdom
28 October 2011

I absolutely loved Solomon Kane. Well done Mr Bassett! For me, fantasy films have always been slightly disappointing. Great concepts but never executed entirely successfully. Being the kind of person who is drawn to the genre, I tried very hard to enjoy films like Conan the Barbarian, Willow and Highlander. These aren't bad films and have some great parts, but they are not wholly successful. Solomon Kane, on the other hand, is a joy from start to finish.

A few of the things I liked were the dark tone, the mix of grubby history and high fantasy, the stellar cinematography, the sword fight choreography, James Purefoy's West Country accent, Mackenzie Crook's cursed congregation. Each element just came together to create a perfect whole. I don't think I've had so much fun watching an action film since seeing Predator for the first time as a youngster.

I'm gutted that we may not see a sequel to this magnificent film. I think James Purefoy was born to play this role and its a crime that he won't get another chance to. There's something wrong in a film industry that funds endless sequels to pretty awful films like Resident Evil and we can't get a sequel to a genuinely great film like this! Well, one Solomon Kane is better than none. I'm off to find copies of Deathwatch and Wilderness now!

The magic of movies does not go away the older you get, it takes great movies like this to rekindle it.

Author: mikejmika from United States
22 August 2011

I just wanted to say thank you to the team behind this film. I grew up reading Robert E. Howard's books at an age that I probably should have been reading something more age appropriate. Like Conan, Howard created a world that I wanted to revisit again and again, by either reading about it or playing in it with my friends in the nearby woods. We had many adventures in that world. Solomon Kane was a character I absolutely absorbed and over the years, I imagined what a film adaptation would be like. I built up quite a bit of expectation. In fact, when I heard about this film, I had massive reservation. When it wasn't being released in the US, I thought to myself that it was some kind of message about the quality of the film. But over time, my patience wore out and I managed to get an import DVD of the film. I've had it for some time, but I couldn't get the nerve up to watch it. I didn't want to be disappointed. Well, after the train wreck of the new Conan, I needed SOMETHING to erase that waste of time. I pulled out every stop, maxxed out the old home theater setup, and was ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY. Not only did it just look and feel right, I was suddenly eight years old again, experiencing Solomon Kane for the first time. I felt the same kind of sense of adventure I would have after walking out of the Milius' Conan, or after seeing Highlander for the first time. That childlike wonder that had you absolutely pumped when you left the theater, and the world carried on in your mind as you imagined it going on despite the finality of the film. Solomon Kane was set up and told beautifully, that it's criminally negligent that it has not had a proper stateside release. My only regret is that I could not see it on the big screen as intended. It would have completed my nostalgic euphoria. Perhaps some special engagements could be deployed to gauge the interest in the film? For those in the US, seek out the import of this film as soon as you can. If you're looking at this page, then you're already interested in this genre and this is a modern classic. To the director and crew behind the film, thank you. I know Conan's success would have probably helped the film get a release… but Solomon Kane deserved that marketing effort and distribution. Thank you for making such a wonderful film and upholding the glory of Howard's work, and for making me feel absolutely lost in the adventure of it all. This film gives me hope for movies like John Carter.

"Visually Stunning Well Crafted Experience"

Author: kimi_layercake from India
11 October 2010

"Solomon Kane" is a movie set in the 17th century at a time when Evil was wide-spread with people turning to the Devil for refuge with little or no faith in the Almighty. People were either being enslaved or killed by the Devil's "Reaper", so-called people who have sold their soul to the Devil for dark powers. The hero, Solomon Kane was an evil warrior, who did many wrong deeds. When he came to know that his soul is damned, he decides to mend his ways and turn to non-violence for His mercy. But fate has something sinister in store for him.

Cast-wise, Good job. James Purefoy was excellent in the titular role. Frankly speaking, I had little faith in a lesser-known actor playing a titular role, but James proved everybody wrong. He was like the shining armor for the movie. Others, even though little-known, played their part decently enough to leave any bad impression.

"Solomon Kane" strength is clearly its stylish direction, taut storyline, fine character development, ample sword play, and adequate running time. Kudos to the Director Michael Bassett, who gives the movie a very stylish look. The camera-work, slow-motion sequence, action choreography added great depth to the movie. Giving scope for character development is very important and it was properly showcased.

The movie derides itself a bit in the ending. Like most action movies, the ending is reduced to One-Versus-All fight, giving a little unrealistic feel. Also, the ending came a little too fast. Meaning, the So-Called-Very-Bad-Guys were overpowered quite quickly and easily by the protagonist. Having said that, this movie is far better than most movies in the similar category.

Overall, "Solomon Kane" is a Very Good movie reduced to Good movie till the end. But, this well-crafted movie is a visual treat & satisfactory watch.

My Verdict: 7/10

Thrilling and exciting Sword and Witchery movie plenty of imagination and fantasy

Author: ma-cortes
26 July 2011

Sword-and-Sorcery epic with a Puritan priest as lead accompanied briefly by a mercenary army and taking on multiple adventures , monsters and dangers . Thrilling and spectacular movie full of imagination and fantasy that introduces us a brave hero and appointed to juvenile public and full-blooded adventure aficionados. Sword-and-sorcery saga with stirring action , spectacular images and fantastic scenes including witchcraft and necromancy . This is a tale of fantasy , magic , imagination, blood and wizardly set in a mythical world from Middle Age full of barbarisms. This is a bemusing adventure saga inspired on Robert E Howard's pulp tale , it stars Jemes Purefoy as Salomon Kane who join forces with some soldiers to vanquish forces of evil . Salomon is a super-swordsman , a mythic and valiant warrior taking on heinous forces of devil and evil minions . Once a mercenary of Queen Elizabeth I struggling Spanish in North of Africa about 1600, and Ottoman city , Solomon met the Devil's Reaper and aware he was bound for hell. Barely getting away , he soon renounced violence to atone for his past sins , seeking out redemption in a life of peace . He retires to a monastery in Great Britain , fighting to live as a man of peace since then, to atone for his sins. That is until the hoodlums of magician Malachi (Jason Flemyng) abduct a Puritan girl Meredith Crowthorn (Rachel Hurd-Wood) and cruelly slaughter her family (Alice Krige, the recently deceased Pete Postlewaite , and Patrick Hurd-Wood , actual brother of Rachel Hurd ) before his own eyes, forcing Solomon to take up arms and go back to his violent manners once more to rescue her . The nasty sorceress's followers kill the family and he seeks vengeance on villains who massacred them . Salomon whose father (Max Von Sidow) was imprisoned and his kingdom was wiped out by the magician attempts to save the young girl , some soldiers soon joins him . They undergo on a perilous trip to find the fortress , confronting magicians , spectres and dangerous adventures. Our hero fights the evil hoodlums of brutal sorcerer who seeks the total power and leading a vibrant ending.

Based on the comic books by Robert E. Howard, this exciting film packs noisy action, fantasy, adventure, witchery , and rip-roaring fights . James Purefoy is good as Solomon Kane , a bloodthirsty British pirate who, after facing off enemies in Africa lost his soul to the evil . Breathtaking images , spectacular battles and duels and lots of amusement and entertainment . Made on a fairly big scale with spectacular set design and glimmer photography . Quite budget for an UK/France/Czech Republic co-production and lavishly produced by Samuel and Victor Hadida. This entertaining picture contains frenetic action , tension , necromancy, and moving action scenes . The film is full of freaks and bemusing situations ; it is quite entertaining because being a laborious and intriguing adventure tale with lots of violence , guts and gore . Colorful and evocative cinematography by Dan Laustsen . Very good special effects , grand production design , being the filming locations in Barrandov Studios , Prague and England . Impressive musical score composed and conducted by Klaus Badelt. The motion picture is well directed by Michael J. Basset . He's a fine director , his first film ¨Deathwatch¨ achieved quite success , he went on with ¨ Wilderness¨ and in post-production ¨Silent Hill : Revelation 3D¨ . The film will appeal to fantasy buffs with action enough to make it worth looking in on . In other words, it seem likely Conan-Sword-sorcery genre enthusiasts and juvenile viewers will be delighted because thrills, action and adventures are brilliantly presented and edited to offer the maximum impact. Rating : 6,5 ; it's an old-fashioned B film on an acceptable scale and basically enjoyable because of it.

Much better than clash of the Hollywood blockbusters

Author: dejan8378 from Macedonia
27 August 2010

A gripping adventure, far better than the Hollywood blockbusters, especially the soulless and boring Clash of the titans. I just love it; it's great, but with flaws. However the good stuff is so good that you forgive and forget the few bad.

The good stuff is a great adventure with surprises, bloody, raw, cruel, unpolished, bleak, scary, inventive villains... The bad and what should have been added is that the director should have been braver and make it longer and epic giving a more time on Kane's connection with His father and brother which would make a more emotional and exciting story, and definitely there should have been more of Malachi.

Demand a U.S. Theatrical Release!

Author: isfilms from Baltimore, MD
22 May 2010

I have been a Solomon Kane fan for most of my life. I have read the Howard stories and all of the comic book incarnations. While the movie isn't truly faithful to the source materials, I felt it captured the spirit of Solomon Kane and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it!

While most people are saying this is a low budget film, I read that it had a $40 million budget. I thought the money was well spent and put to good use. They have a very good cast and the special effects were great. I thought it was some of the best sword fighting scenes since the original Highlander movie.

I can't believe that this movie is having trouble finding a U.S. distributor, especially with all of the crap they put in theaters these days. The only thing that disappointed me was that the final fight scene seemed a bit anti-climactic. They did a nice rip-off/tribute to Highlander in the end.