IMDb > Sex, the City and Me (2007) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sex, the City and Me (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Women, jobs and babies - choices to be made

Author: jabber12 from South Korea
8 March 2010

I can't believe the other two reviewers were watching the same movie as I was. The storyline, the acting, the pace of the film, and direction were all top of the range as far as I'm concerned. Far from being the worst film, I would put this on top of the pile when it comes to realistic portrayals of the frustrations of women in high powered jobs who would like to have both babies and a career, not choose one or the other.

The plot - one woman's fight against the bigotry of men in the workplace - is totally believable. Would you risk everything - your job, your friends, your marriage, even your self esteem - to pursue justice against an almighty bank and the (mostly) men that people it? Jess did - and eventually won her case. The rules of the City appear to be of the "them" and "us" kind. If you're a man, well, anything goes (strip clubs, lying, infidelity) and that's o.k. It's all for the benefit of business after all. If you're a woman, you're a slapper if you follow suit. It's not the way women behave.

This film is a timely reminder that the playing field in big business is by no means a flat one, and that sexual politics rule o.k.

Missed opportunity

Author: drella666 from Bangkok
30 June 2007

Sex, the City and Me deals with an important, compelling subject (the persistent sexism in the City of London) and has a very good cast. It begins very well, with the characters addressing the camera directly, in an almost Brechtian manner, shaking up the conventions of TV drama. It's also brave in that the central character is pretty unsympathetic, but we are forced to side with her.

But then something goes astray. The clichés come out: the two-faced boss; the boorish, alpha-male colleagues; the ice-maiden HR boss; the adoring nerd; the vile American; the back-stabbing younger woman; even the hippyish sister who doesn't have the big bonuses, but is happy. The husband is so wet, you could grow cress on him. The only character who defies these out-of-the box tropes is Sarah Lancashire's solicitor, who is unconvincing, but at least you can't predict exactly what she's going to say and do after five minutes.

The final resolution is simply ludicrous, a deus ex machina ploy that's set up, left hanging, forgotten about, then thrown in just when we think everything's done and dusted.

This is an issue that many still don't take seriously. It's a pity that we need such a lazy, unambitious script to make it palatable to a mass audience.

Terrible Film!

Author: Abusimble1 from The Back of Beyond, in the Void behind Reality
14 January 2008

This has to be one of the worst of the bad movies that is produced on television these days. I have however noted one commonality between TV getting worse and the rise of women directors. Women tend to make emotional "reality" based television shows. Also they lean towards making odd shows. Consider that many of the soap operas like Bold and the Beautiful and Days of Our Lives were geared towards women viewers. Hence the directors of those shows listened to female input. Because they knew women viewers wanted that sort of thing. However, every movie made now has a problem like this. If a male director makes it, he'll attempt to make the female characters big, strong, independent, macho, beer-swilling, able to beat up guys twice their size. If a female director creates a movie, she'll make the main characters all women and it'll be an emotional love roller-coaster story. Anyone notice this??