IMDb > St. Trinian's (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Thumbs up for St Trinians

Author: michaellaing71 from United Kingdom
22 December 2007

St Trinian's was never going to be a classic of British cinema and I am glad that it doesn't really try. The worst I can say about the film, is that it is constantly entertaining, which I find is a rarity now days. It could and should have been a complete disaster, fortunately it is harmless silly fun. The plot is dumb and the humour is never laugh out loud funny but I always had a smile on my face and I left the cinema more cheerful than when I went in, which is always a good sign.

I was quite happy with the acting in the film. Russell Brand is not the greatest actor in the world and a few of the girls are a bit grating but most of the main characters are OK, with good performances from Gemma Arterton and Talulah Riley. Colin Firth plays it gloriously straight though out and has some wonderful moments, whilst Rupert Everett is a constant joy to watch as Miss Fritton/Carnaby Fritton.

I won't go on about the behind camera stuff because that would be a bit pointless, apart from to say that it does the job. The editing had its moments and I did enjoy the little animated scene half way though. Although not really my taste in music generally, I thought the soundtrack was very good and suited the mood of the film well, although I would have like to have heard the St Trinian's original theme at the beginning of the film, if even for a few moments.

I was over all very happy with the film and am glad I went to see it, it ticked most of the boxes which I wanted and rarely let itself down.

Excellent film, I'm going twice!

Author: elaviel-1 from United Kingdom
23 December 2007

Very good adaptation, went with my family and all ages were laughing.

Rupert Evveret plays 2 very different characters and succeeds well in both.

Colin Firth is a lovely as ever fitting into a role that suits him very well and a certain scene from a Jane Austin adaptation is resurrected.

The newcomers who make up the majority of the school children are superb, not only do they achieve in acting well beyond their years. They provided as much entertainment as the other more experienced cast members.

The most surprising cast member of them all was Russell Brand. I went into the film with a despise of the man and thinking he would ruin the film for me, but he was actually pretty good.

In all I found St Trinian's to be a good film and definitely one for teenage girls to watch, but don't worry if you get dragged along to I guarantee you'll leave laughing.

Don't forget to listen the song in the credits!!!

A worthy Re-invention of a classic Comedy series

Author: mike-2340 from United Kingdom
23 January 2008

St. Trinian's is probably never going to top anyone's list of greatest films of the 21st Century but there's no denying it is funny. It could so easily have been terrible, but it isn't, thanks to a witty and clever script that pays tribute to Ronald Searle's original cartoons as well as to the classic "Belles of St Trinian's" Writers Piers Ashworth and Nick Moorcroft have successfully reinvented St. Trinian's for the 21st century, avoiding the obvious pitfalls – the school could so easily have been turned into a combination brothel and crack den – instead creating a world in which the girls can run wild. A world in which it seems no-one bats an eyelid at ten year old girls playing with explosives, but God forbid they should ever take up smoking.

Rupert Everett is in fine form as the headmistress Camilla Frinton though admittedly he's no Alistair Simm (then again who is?) and Colin Firth is a more than capable straight man, quite happy to take pot shots at his own career. More surprisingly Russell Brand makes a very effective Flash Harry, While distinctly different to the original in both appearance and manner to George Cole, there his something indefinable about his performance, he could almost be the grandson of the original Flash.

However where this film really succeeds is in the girls themselves. Talulah Riley is the heart and sole of the film as Annabelle Fritton, slowly blossoming from shy awkward daddy's girl into red-blooded St Trinian, and Gemma Arterton as head girl Kelly commands the screen in every scene she's in. Between them Riley and Arterton steal the move from under the noses of the more experienced Everett & Firth.

But it's not just them, a combination of astute casting and good writing ensures that all the students come across as characters in their own right from twin terrors Cloe and Holly Mackie through to the 'Posh Totty', brilliantly underplayed by Tamsin Egerton, Amara Karan and Antonia Bernath.

In years to come this film will be remembered not for the sight of Rupert Everett in drag but for giving screen time to so many of the next generation of starlets.

WARNING- This film WILL surprise you.

Author: bml84 from United Kingdom
8 January 2008

From the ashes of Ealing rises a film worthy of the studio name.

A fun packed, good natured, girl-powered romp complete with obligatory wacky robbery plot so beloved of the studios' classics. Though the plotting wavers the abundant energy carries it through with hardly a glitch. Rupert Everett is a revelation and Colin Firth wisely plays it straight even whilst sending himself up.

A very UK film with lots of in-jokes for us 30 somethings (loved the 'Another Country' line), funny lines and nicely sketched stereotypes for younger girls to admire and younger boys to fancy.

Great for a family trip or as a personal time-passer, it sold out continuously in Glasgow for weeks, although a sequel really isn't warranted.

Enjoy it as the stand alone little gem it is, harking back to the days when films were self-contained little classics rather than potential sequel spinners.

My comedy of 2007!

P.S.- Remember to stay for the 'Girls Aloud' title song credits!

I enjoyed it, more than I thought I would

Author: Localfreak from Lancaster, England
4 January 2008

I was a bit nervous about going to see St Trinian's, because I've seen all the previous films and was worried by the title and the trailer-glimpses of Rupert Everett that this film would try to 'overwrite' the original. It doesn't. This is why I think it works. Like the sequels from the first film, once again St Trinian's moves the concept into its own era. It's jam packed with innuendo and humour and a new plot line. Perhaps it'll never be as good as 'The Belles' but then, none of the other sequels were as good as 'The Belles' either, and they didn't try to be. The spirit of the thing was there and it was good fun to watch.

A lot better then I expected!

Author: the_hole from United Kingdom
3 January 2008

When I first heard about the new St.Trinians film, I found it rather stupid sounding. With a cast which sadly boasted Mischa Barton and Girls Alouds, it boasted watery, lame humour film from every angle. But after seeing it, it was clear to me that nothing couldn't be further from the truth, as this product was brilliant, with laugh-out-loud moments all around and a brilliant cast full of the creme-de-la-creme of British actors(which barely had any Mischa Barton in it at all).

The casting of Rupert Everett as Miss Fritton was brilliant, because he has such brilliant comic timing and devotion to the character is great. The ever hilarious Russell Brand is a great Flash Harry: very much a geezer and just genuinely brilliant.

The casting of the girl's were spot-on, as all actress committed to their assigned groups (such as the posh totties, chavs, emos, etc) very well. One of the most underused actresses was Juno Temple, who people may recognise from "Notes on a Scandal" and "Atonement", playing the much more humorous character of a stoner.

Overall, the film is brilliant. If you're a fan of the first films,maybe this won't be the film for you. But if you haven't watched St. Trinian's films before or think the old films are dated rubbish, then this perfect for you! Go and see it!

It's still St. Trinian's!

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
25 October 2008

Okay, so I don't usually watch this type of film but after being gagged and blind folded I didn't have a choice. The first Belles of St. Trinian's was made in 1954 and to be fair to St. Trinian's 2007, it has remained close and true to the original concept. As usual, the school is threatened with closure by their bank and education board and responsibility to save the day falls on the pupils.

Gemma Arterton is the head girl, who's voice is made for Eastenders but has the presence and looks to become a big star and along with Talulah Riley as new posh girl Annabelle Fritton carry the film forwards to it's satisfying conclusion.

Rupert Everett steals the show and with a fantastic cast of quirky children and familiar faces including Colin Firth, Stephen Fry as himself, Lena Headey and our very own Jack Sparrow, Russell Brand make the film all fun.

What's nice about St. Trinian's.is that the whole cast of characters get a chance to do their bit, it's all team work, it's St. Trinian's.

Wickedly brilliant Brit flick!

Author: fab-46 from United Kingdom
16 December 2007

I have just returned from a preview screening of Ealing Studio's new film- a continuation of the St. Trinian's franchise which last had an outing in the 1960s, and I have to say it is the most fun i've had in a cinema for AGES!

Re-inventing the twee originals St. Trinian's has been brought into the modern day with a bang! With Goths, Emos, Posh Tottie, Chavs and Geeks galore they don't miss anything out! Right from the start as one of the main girls is driven upto the school for the first time past a car in flames you know you're going to be in for a riot! The production design was brilliant- there was so much to look at and laugh at- it must have taken days to dress each set!

Rupert Everett and Colin Firth make a brilliant team- they bounce off each other and give the film a great heart- Rupert in drag is a sight to see- I wonder if Camilla PB has seen it yet- because he's got her down brilliantly! Russell Brand really shows that he can act and deliver other people's funny lines- you really look forward to him cropping up throughout the film.

The girls are brilliant- they all hit their laughs and are never too over the top. Gemma Atherton is superb as is Paloma (?) who plays one of the Emos.

All in all- I laughed from start to finish- it's a great film for the family this Christmas that is 10x funnier than the disappointing Enchanted that really wasn't the family film of the decade as Disney would like us to believe. Go and see it- if u've got kids they'll definitely thank you for it- or if not just go and see it to escape the Christmas shopping, families and wrapping paper this weekend! You won't be disappointed!

Best British film since the Full Monty!

Good fun

Author: jhsteel from London, England
26 May 2008

This film was entertaining and has something for everyone, especially if you are young at heart. There were quite a few in-jokes about certain members of the cast - one of the schools which competed against St Trinian's in the School Challenge quiz was Rupert Everett's old school (Ampleforth) and the "Another Country" comment was brilliant. There were also references to Mr Darcy and of course Colin Firth had another go at the wet-shirt scene. I was impressed by the schoolgirls, who did a good job of convincing me that they were unruly but not clueless and could organise themselves if they wanted to. I am a huge fan of Rupert Everett and he excelled in drag (always knew he would) and his interactions with Colin Firth were as much fun as in their 2 previous outings together (Another Country and Importance of Being Earnest). I was also thrilled to be watching another Ealing Comedy, since I live a stone's throw from the famous studios.

Good in parts

Author: ic2 from The Forest of Dean
31 December 2007

Mixed views like the mixed reviews really.

Firstly this is a film for the tweenies (12-15 I would have thought) though on the night we went despite the 12a certificate there were 5 and 6 year olds there. Most of the humour was for kids, though there were enough references to amuse adults and lots of references to other films.

Everett was superb as a the headmistress, and remembering that this was slapstick, absolutely fine. Not so convinced by Colin Firth, but he was OK. Russell Brandt seemed nervous. Otherwise everone else played their roll perfectly. The young actors were splendid.

As stated, a good film for young teenagers who can identify with the schoolgirl antics, and in our cinema they were laughing from the beginning.

Not a patch on the originals? Well different. The originals were 40 to 50 years ago and they were made in a different age. I like them, but do they appeal to 12 and 15 year olds today? This is the problem with remakes, we always compare them with the "classic" and find them wanting.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]