IMDb > Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging
Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Really great adaptation - I hope you enjoy it too.

Author: metalli-chick from United Kingdom
30 July 2008

My daughter and I went to see this film last night with great anticipation as we have read the books. I know that the director is great having seen her previous work and I was looking forward to seeing how she and her co-writer had adapted the books for screen.

First off it is based on the both 'Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging' and 'it's okay, I'm wearing really big knickers' there have been a few minor changes to make it work on film without Georgia sounding too whiny and to make the story flow better. It was a shame that we didn't get to meet Sven and his awesome flares, but he was there disco dancing in the background and Georgia fans will know him when they see him.

From the moment it started we were engaged, the cinema was packed and during Georgia's initial walk home we were howling with laughter and it just got better. (Did her feet move or did she glide?) The audience was a mixed bunch, a majority of teenage girls, a sprinkling of boys and a few of us "out of the stone age", I don't think that anybody disliked it. It got major reactions from all of the audience each finding humour in different places. There were a few sad ahhh's when there was a sad looking 'Dave the Laugh', some misty eyes during a serious dressing down and laughter at Mum ogling Jem - or was that just me! anyhoo - both my daughter (16) and I (38) would pay to see it again. We highly recommend it but take a tissue with you, if not for the tears of laughter but for those misty eyes that may sneak up on you.

It gives you a warm feeling to be reminded what romance and love is, both from a younger and older point of view. Although I did say to my daughter on the way home that you are not incomplete if you are don't have a partner, but it can be a great feeling when you are ready. But Georgia is written with a boyfriend goal in mind. Look out Sex God Georgia has a plan!

An enjoyable comedy

Author: catchingfire18 from United Kingdom
31 July 2008

As a fan of the books I was expecting a lot from 'Angus Thongs and Perfect Snogging' and although a lot of things from the books were included, a lot was changed or left out altogether, which at first I found slightly disappointing.

Having separated the film from the books and viewing the film just as it is, I thought this was a solid romantic comedy about a fourteen year old girl (Georgia Nicholson) going through all the ups and downs of being a teenager - boys, kissing, friends, fall-outs, family problems etc.

The lead character was portrayed well by Georgia Groome, who showed Georgia's many different sides from a self-obsessed drama queen to a caring and insightful young woman. Although the four young leads over acted at times, this helped to accentuate the drama of being a teenager.

'Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging' is aimed in particular at 12-16 year olds (although it's themes will appeal to females of all ages). That's not to say that males will not enjoy it, anyone who is or has been a fourteen year old can relate to the main character and her issues.

There are some very cheesy moments, and if you don't like clichéd and 'disney' type films then this isn't for you. However I think that for it's genre, 'Angus, Thongs...' has just the right mix of romance, laughter and also some very touching scenes between Georgia and her parents. Overall 'Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging' is a hilarious, light hearted film, which I thoroughly enjoyed!

I loved it!

Author: Sarah Rose from United Kingdom
28 July 2008

If you go into a film and expect something more often than not you end up not getting anything out of movie your going to see.

I have read all of the Angus thongs books over and over again and i loved them. of course when i heard the movie was coming out i was over the moon. so on Saturday i dragged my mum out of the house for a girl afternoon of giggles. And that just what we got. the film was different to the books, but i think that movies appeal to a wider variety of people, even though it was different it was just as good.nit was full of girl humour and going back to first crushes and falling in love for the first time and all those cringe worthy moments, girls and women of all ages should love this film, its filled with laughs, embarrassment, and down right sweet moments. I give it two thumbs up! I loved it!!!!

Great movie

Author: Stephanie Agudelo (angel_ice_m777@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
2 August 2008

To be honest i thought that the movie was great,i have been a very big fan of Louise Rennison since i was in my mid teens and i love all her books. The movie entitled everything which the books stand for which is comedy,romance,teen drama and friendship.

Don't feel that with out reading the books you would not understand what the movie is about because everything is explained from the snogging scale to why slim is called slim.

Although i feel that the movie is somewhat lacking when it comes to Georgia's vocabulary because she uses terms which non book readers would understand. However if you are devoted to the books you won't hear such words staga 14 or mutti or fatti but just school, mom and dad. Which kind of leaves the die heart fan unsatisfied.

The cast was well chosen and the story line did change a little bit when compared to the books but it still included all the important bits from the books and now i'm hoping that their might be a sequel at some point in the future.

Its worth watching.

Angus, Thongs and a Barrel of Laughs

Author: zezepants from United Kingdom
9 November 2008

I, just like many of the other people who have written comments, had read the Georgia Nicolson books from my early teens. When i heard of the film, i admit i was very excited. But i was worried that with the case with most book to films that it would be mutilated. Once IMDb has updated their information and said Gurinder Chadha was directing, it filled me with a little bit more hope. She had done some good films in the past, and i was hoping she wouldn't let us down.

When i went to the cinema, i actually laughed out loud for the majority of the film. it was lovely to see the books brought to life, and so well. Georgia Groome (who played Georgia Nicolson) did an excellent job, i think they did very well on the casting. The only exception to this was Dave the laugh, he wasn't what i imagined, but he was good enough.

Overall i thought this film was really good, and Chadha did well on behalf of Louise Rennison!

This makes the teen generation look pretty stupid.

Author: Kaylee Green from Canada
10 September 2009

I am a fifteen year old girl and I loathed this film.

The film begins with the main character, a teenage girl named Georgia (with the most annoying accent I have ever heard), happily walking down the street dressed as an olive. She arrives at a fancy-dress party and has to face the terrible humiliation of being the only one dressed as a food. How will Georgia cope? Will she do the most natural thing and take off the costume if she's that embarrassed about it and have a fun evening with her friends? No, of course not. That makes too much sense.

What she DOES do is storm over to her friends, demand why they aren't wearing costumes like hers as they agreed, then deems their excuses as inadequate and runs out of the place, knocking over drinks and plates of biscuits and people along the way. She then goes running through the streets, still dressed as a stuffed olive. Actually, that scene is the film's main highlight as it did almost change my look of disbelief to a weak smile for a second or two.

After arriving home and throwing a full on tantrum which involves stomping on her costume, ripping photos off the walls and throwing all her teddy-bears onto the floor, Georgia takes a deep breath and announces to the family that she's going to be 'more mature from now on'. Well, she's made a good start! Drinks all around! At school the next day, suddenly Georgia and her three school-mates are all best friends again. Obviously there was a major plot point when I wasn't looking. And during their lunch break, they notice two new guys strolling through the grounds. And 'it's boy-stalking time!' Yes, that's their dialogue. Okay, maybe teenagers talked like that in 1886, but come on, screenwriter. Get with the times.

They stalk the poor boys through a montage, taking notes and spying on them through a pair of binoculars (and even breaking out into an utterly ridiculous dance routine at the end). I half expected them to all tie their shoelaces every time the boys turned around. But this didn't happen, mainly because the boys didn't, not once, turn around, a fact that I find pretty amazing. How hard can four giggling-screeching-in-uniform-linking-arms-armed-with-binoculars schoolgirls be to spot? And so, obviously, Georgia gets to know the guy she's got her eye on (Robbie) and yes, obviously he already has a girlfriend. Georgia is heartbroken. I was mildly perturbed. I imagined what Georgia would tell the rest of her friends to be something like this: You know that handsome guy I talked to for eight seconds? Well, he has a girlfriend! I've never felt so BETRAYED! Anyway, Georgia tries to make him jealous by going out with another guy… (screenwriter's motto: 'originality is, like, so overrated') he finds out and makes her feel bad… (oh, the twists and turns!) etc, etc. You know the drill. It's only been done eight million times already.

So, after a lot of boring events laced with clichés that are too tiresome to think about, let alone write down, Georgia and her bestie, Jaz, split up and throw catty insults at each other during a netball game, the grand, dramatic finale when Georgia stomps on Jaz's foot. Oh, the horror.

The second-last sequence in the movie is a bit of a mystery to me because at the start of the film, Georgia was unpopular in her school, but suddenly, her night-club is packed with what looks like the entire population of her state, everyone cheering and throwing confetti like she's just handed out free flip-phones. And then Jaz comes up to her and hugs her as if nothing ever happened between them, forcing me to conclude that an entire chapter was cut out of the film for pace reasons. Either that, or I accidentally slept through it. Anyway, for reasons the film doesn't care to share, Georgia is now officially a hero. I have heard of the term 'suspension of disbelief' and actively engage in it with popcorn-fare such as the Indiana Jones films, and any line Orlando Bloom says, but this is going too far. Sorry movie, but no humans act like this. Not in any state, in any country, on any planet.

I thereby conclude that 'Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging' is the worst teenage film I have ever seen. Eye-clawingly bad.

Smart funny look at growing up that gives hope to future of British cinema

Author: Stampsfightclub from United Kingdom
18 January 2009

Georgia Nicolson (Groome) finds her perception of life changes after making a fool of herself at a party. Now she plans to grow up and no sooner does Robbie (Johnson) come to her school, and Georgia instantly falls for him.

After the disappointing adaptation of St Trinians and the decline of British cinema generally over recent years this adaptation appeared to be screened as a mere money making hour and a half entertainment rom-com flick. But thanks to some cheeky youthful performances, a witty script and an underlining message of coming of age, this adaptation of Louise Rennison's best selling novel brings back that feeling of unashamedly British.

In her first leading role Georgia Groome (London to Brighton) carries the film on a charismatic and charming persona that will have the teenage girls laughing their heads off. Her smart timing and in particular her reactions to situations create that comedy feeling that was an essential factor to making the narrative work.

The film undoubtedly starts poorly. When Georgia turns up at a party, it is more than likely she will be an outcast and the fact that she gets embarrassed in front of her enemy and has to change her life is even more so. Nevertheless the comedic approach to the coming of age is likable and hardly clichéd. There is some background to her motion to change and the way she looks at adulthood as a place of comfort is as likable as her cat. The changes she goes through are sweet and realistic given today's modern outlook on the world. In this adaptation, we see many stereotypes and a very accurate look at teen language. The 'oh my god's' will have anyone laughing. The perception of girl's views on boys is a stand out moment.

The stereotypical representations are usually never right. Either they are extremely over exaggerated, for example in controversial drama Kidulthood or they are unnoticeable passive representations such as in St Trinians. The angle on the characters in this 2008 comedy feels right, not over the top with a good sense of purpose and an underlining message of coming of age.

Though good fun, the plot wavers into cliché at the end and doesn't quite have enough punch to believe the arrival of British comedy is truly back.

Having never read the book, I find myself considering after enjoying the good nature of this film. Critics have said the book is funnier, and considering the amount of laughs spilled during the film, it must be an option.

Disappointing, even with low expectations.

Author: (cwazy_lady) from United Kingdom
30 July 2008

Now, when I first saw the trailer on TV, I kinda wanted to see it. I mean, I loved Bend it like Beckham and I figured it would be just as good. Then, a few days later, I read some bad reviews on it, saying that the lead girls acting was wooden and unbelievable. So then I decided I would pass, or at least wait until it came on TV. But my friends Bekah and Katie dragged me along today, and I gotta admit that I had pretty low expectations. Plus, tickets in Bluewater are £8, which is bloody criminal.

Now, the girls acting didn't bother me too much. Yes, her voice and unnecessary emphasis on every single word she said kind of irritated me, but I wasn't too angry. And she couldn't be blamed completely - a lot of the kids in the film were pretty terrible. What really annoyed me was the writing, for a couple of reasons.

1 - "Oh my God, I'm having a nervy B", "I'm not going to your poxy party!", "Girls, time to go boy-stalking!". I know these girls are supposed to be 14/15, but seriously? I really hope no one watches this film and assumes that this is how young girls in England speak, and I certainly hope that they don't assume this is how they act.

2 - Boy meets girl, awww they're getting together, OH NO SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAPPENED, oh, phew! It's all better now. It's an overdone storyline, and sometimes it can be done with panache (think: 10 Things I Hate About You), but the storyline was painfully predictable.

Overall, I felt that apart from watching a fat lady trip over a step on my way out, the film disappointed me greatly. And that's with my low expectations.

I can honestly say it didn't compare

Author: aluragirl16
13 November 2008

I've had an addiction to these books ever since I started reading them. They're fantastic. So when I heard they were making a movie, I was really excited.

Not only has the movie not been released in the US, and therefore I had to go through a lot of trouble to see it, but I can honestly say that the movie didn't compare at all to the books.

The acting was superficial, there were awkward moments that shouldn't have been awkward(awkward between the actors acting the scene), and everything that developed over one novel was crammed into only a couple minutes.

I can understand wanting to watch this movie for the gist of the books, but I must say it's well worth more of your time to actually read the book.

Fabulous

Author: xx-marzy-xx from London
2 August 2008

This film is unexpectedly very funny. I was laughing & awing the whole way through. A very down to earth, stereotypical 14 year old socialisation aspect and filled with comical funniness!! Not to mention Robbie is just beautiful and so sweet!

Id say its more of a younger teen film, having said that i am 20 years old and it warmed me to be familiar with them stressful teenage anxiety's and first loves! It is refreshing to see a British film that is good quality and could rival the usual American comedy romance malarkey. It actually portrays the daily life drama of the average 14 year old in a very funny and British way. Brilliant film, definitely recommend it!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]