IMDb > High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Oh, god, I can't believe I'm saying this... I actually had fun... did I just really write that? Maybe I should make a doctor's appointment

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
12 November 2008

OK, I work at a movie theater and the main thing we've been waiting for is High School Musical 3: Senior Year, we knew it was going to be big, so a few co-workers and I got together for the matinée before all the kids rushed in, it was still packed surprisingly. But I've seen both previous films because my little cousin is just in love with all that pre-teen hoop-la, it's all good, every generation has something so lovey-dovey-cutesee-wootsee type of thing. But one of the things that made this film enjoyable was to see all the kids who were just participating with this film, I mean, I felt like I was in a concert, the kids were clapping with the songs, screaming for their idols, and just having fun, it was cool to see their reactions, to remember a more innocent time of being in love that much with something. But I felt like this was just a cute movie that is getting too much criticism just because it is High School Musical, give it a break and take it for what it is.

The gang is back for their senior year and everything is just perfect, they came up with a great idea for a musical to represent all that they're going through in this exciting year. But there is also a lot of pressure: Zack is facing a tough decision of which college to go to while Gabriella is planning on going to Yale University so far away from him, Sharpay and her brother, Ryan, are competing for a scholarship to Juliard, and Chad and Taylor are learning what to do with the rest of their lives while loosing their best friends to different schools.

Granted High School Musical is never Oscar material, in fact, it's downright like having a soda after school with the hot quarterback or sexy cheerleader, but like I said, it's for the kids. Seeing their reactions to this reminded me and my co-workers of a more innocent time, when I had the same excitement to see Spice World when I was 12 years old. We all had these silly things we loved at a young age and for some reason we become more cynical as we get older criticizing everything that the new generation has, so I'm cutting this movie some slack. It had fun songs, cute characters, silly situations, but great dance numbers and is just over all a nice film for the family. I do recommend it just for the fun of being with the fans and just having a good time, no matter how cheesy it is.

The stuff anorexia and high school massacres are made of.

Author: Lau Pedersen from Denmark
9 November 2008

I haven't seen the first nor the second film, but with films like Dirty Dancing, Footloose, even Grease in the back of my mind, it makes High School Musical 3 look like a propaganda film made by reactionary parents and the U.S. Department of Education. The film has been clinically cleansed of losers or people who are a bit unusual; and it's a great example of a pedagogical motivation-form based on fear. Fear of defeat; fear of inadequacy; fear of humiliation. There is no room for mediocrity or small ambitions; so straighten up while you are young and go to school, and "allow yourself to be great" as it says in the film This is the stuff anorexia and high-school massacres are made of. High School Musical makes me think of what one of the creators of South Park, Matt Stone, said about the American school system: "They scare you into conforming. If you're a loser now, you're gonna be a loser forever." High School Musical preaches that every moment is crucial for the rest of your life. And this is a 'wonderful' achievement pressure to put on children and adolescents. Let's take a few quotes to understand the rhetoric. In the changing room the coach says: "Make this moment last". Prom night is "A night to live forever", so one must hope one has a date that night. "This is our last chance to get it right", "This is our last chance to make our mark", "History will know who we are," etc.. This is the pupils last chance to write themselves into history; and they are just 17 years old.

Children and adolescents may be what they want to be, as long as the result of their efforts is, in one form or another, of absolute greatness; so the film tells us.

Rolecomposition is cleverly put together, so that the largest minorities with the highest purchasing power are represented: Blacks and Hispanics. It is, so to speak, uncontroversial and thoroughly tested minorities. Chinese and Indians are there however non of; those 'strange' minorities who uses ginger in their cooking.

You can of course choose to shrug your shoulders over a film such as High School Musical and think: "Oh, how kitsch and fun in a 'Beverly Hills 90210'-kind of way", but I don't think it's unimportant what we teach our children. I am not so concerned about the Danish children exposed to High School Musical. We have a strong Danish television and children's films tradition to counterbalance and tell the children that it is totally okay to fail. But I am nervous on behalf of American children. Because if this is an expression of a dominant American pedagogy, it is not the last time they will see a pupil formulate his or hers feelings of defeat with an automatic riffle. One can write oneself into history in several ways.

High School Musical gets 1 of 6 stars for trace amounts of enthusiasm in dance scenes and for references to better films.

:::This was a transcript written down and translated by me, Lau Pedersen, of Mikkel Munch-Fals, DR2, PREMIERE. I have their written consent to post this. DR2 is not affiliated with this post.:::

Let Kids Be Kids!

Author: (mamamia126) from United States
19 November 2008

Okay, I am 100% completely for the High School Musical franchise! Have you noticed that the majority of people who have something derogatory to say about the series are 15+. Well, duh! You were young once too and no one constantly dissed the Lion King or Cinderella or Rugrats or whatever your "show" was as a naive, innocent kid. Lions don't talk or dance or sing, there are no such things as "fairy god mothers" and talking mice, and babies don't have imaginary worlds where they can talk in front of adults, yet no one hears them. What do you want Disney to do: turn High School Musical into a movie about kids who are sexually active backstage and smoke weed after rehearsals? There's nothing wrong with a nice, innocent, family movie, people! If Disney turned High School Musical into that, you'd be complaining WAY more, trust me! And yes, High School Musical may be like a fantasy high school world that we all WISH could exist, but it's not destroying the kids' brain cells or anything. Once they get to that certain age level, they'll realize that the "perfect, happy, HSM life" was all an illusional element created because it's Disney. So chill.

If you went in with that perspective, you'd see that High School Musical 3 was pretty enjoyable and that HSM actually has underlying themes that good do the kids some good! The songs were actually cool and different and were fun to sing along to. It's also sad watching the Wildcats grow up if you're really a fan---they're hearts can't seem to tear away from East High. Oh, and Zac Efron isn't too hard to look at either! Take your kids and have a NICE, innocent, enjoyable, afternoon at the movies to see this!

One for the fans...ONLY!

Author: SophomoreSlump from Malaysia
29 October 2008

The thing about the High School Musical franchise is that you either love it or hate it. Ever since the first movie, it has always been like that. I, for one, will now be standing in the middle because I will review this film unbiasedly. I've to say, the movie was fun to watch. It has a very simple storyline, which was made complicated later on in the movie. The characters whom are now in their senior years has to choose where they have to go after they finished high school. This is the story about their hope and fears and choices they have to make. Simple enough...

What amazes me is the dance numbers which had me completely blown away. It was choreographed so sophisticatedly and so beautifully that it will leave the audience enthralled. From a simple waltz during the rooftop scene to a very complicated-sorta-breakdance in the junkyard scene. I give my applause to the choreographers and the dancers. Well done!

The songs, I've to say, are good and most are very catchy and fun to listen to. The lyrics have matured. They are mostly better than the songs from High School Musical and its sequel High School Musical 2. The lead singer of each songs sings the song greatly. My compliment to Efron for his rough and edgy voice and Grabeel for some nice and melodic pitch. Although I'm not quite fond with Hudgen's nasal high-pitch voice.

One thing that I'm not happy with this movie is the fact that most of the musical numbers and songs are performance scene. Whether they're rehearsing the play or the play itself. In a true musical the dancing and singing are the way the characters express their feeling or just a way they talk. It is apart of the story, the dialogue. But in HSM, some of it are performance scene. For example, the prom scene is actually the rehearsal of the actual play. This slightly takes away the musical feel to it.

A bit of a warning though. This movie is made FOR THE FANS ONLY. If you're not a fan, you might want to start with the first HSM and work it up or just stay away from the franchise. Because, if you're not a fan, you might find some of the scenes quite cheesy. From some of the dialogues, to the ending where the camera focuses on the characters' faces before the big red curtain closed, even the last song (entitled "High School Musical") during the graduation is slightly cheesy.

Other than that, I'd say it is a great movie for all ages, especially the young ones. And it is a great family movie if you want some times to relax from the rough actions and romance or even politics of Hollywood.

The songs and the dance moves will keep you glued to the screen.

No--it's not great but it is full of energy and life

Author: preppy-3 from United States
10 November 2008

Sequel to the TV movies "High School Musical" and "High School Musical 2" (neither of which I saw). A bunch of friends are getting ready to graduate from high school. There's Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) the school basketball champ who secretly wants to sing and dance. There's his girlfriend--sweet, squeaky clean Gabriella (Vanessa Hudgens) who is going to a college that is far away from Troy. Then there's Troy's best bud Chad (Corbin Bleu) who doesn't want high school to end. Then there's the evil Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale) who wants Gabriella's part in the school play.

The script is horrendous. I laughed out loud at a few of the dumber lines and was constantly either rolling my eyes or smirking at the plot developments. However, I'm not the target audience for this--I'm a 46 year old guy. I saw it cause I love musicals and this has gotten raves from the critics. It's pretty obvious they're not cheering on the ridiculous plot but the musical numbers. They come out of nowhere but they're full of energy and life. They're also beautifully choreographed and some are really eye-popping. The whole cast can sing and dance and give their all to every single song. "The Boys Are Back" number between Chad and Troy is a true show-stopper. None of these songs will become classics but they're good enough. This is a musical aimed squarely at teenagers and pre-teens. The language is very clean (the G rating should tell you that), all the teens look clean and fresh, all the plots are predictable and family friendly and the whole cast goes at this full blast. This is truly a movie that the whole family can watch. A lot of people are jeering at this movie (notice the poor rating it has) but why? It's just an update of those stupid Beach Party movies of the 1960s. It's no masterpiece musical but it's fun, friendly and full of energy. I give it a 7.

A Nutshell Review: High School Musical 3

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
2 November 2008

My only exposure to High School Musical was from a chalet gathering last Christmas where a friend who was a fan brought his DVD and shared with us what's there to like from this highly popular franchise. The DVD has countless of versions released to milk its fan base, that I've really lost count just how many variations (Encore? Extended Dance?) there are out there in the market. Even then I didn't really watch High School Musical 2 completely, only zooming into the catchy song and dance numbers, and as for the first movie, I was only familiar with one or two songs that became like anthems for working together?

Anyway I'm not a fan, and the reason why I would have watched this is because Disney decided it was good enough for the big screen. Either that, or they actually did their sums and realize that the huge fanbase would turn up in droves to support it in the cinemas. And I guess they were right, looking at how it opened at #1 at the US Box Office. Is it any good then? For the uninitiated like me, the story's nothing spectacular, as it deals with growing pains of students and decisions that come with the end of high school, having choices presented on where you would want to go next for further studies. This would naturally mean a split amongst established friends as you'll be geographically separated, and temporarily close a chapter in your life.

Central to the story would be the possible insecurities and impending (long term?) split between lovebirds Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) and Gabriella Montez (Vannessa Hudgens) due to the latter's brainier character being accepted by Stanford. In fact just watching this movie alone, I thought Gabriella was the psychologically tougher of the two, with Troy being your typical indecisive jock who's a bit wishy-washy about his own development path ahead. The other subplot would be the usual resident evil Sharpay Evans (Ashley Tisdale) and her antics in wanting the limelight all for herself, this time though with her personal assistant thrown into the mix, and having the audience judge who's the biggest bitch out there.

But of course this is Disney, so don't expect too deep a theme to be dwelled upon. It's still fairly light stuff that is meant for enjoyment by kids, and supposedly with wholesome values thrown in too that would meet parental approval. It's fairy tale stuff that would seem like a cop out with its perfectly ideal ending, though some may find such saccharine positivity a refreshing change for once.

The song and dance numbers are wonderfully choreographed, though one can cringe at some of the lyrics for the slower numbers. A pity of course that we don't get to see the centerpiece of the show within the show, and only bits and pieces of the graduation play that the characters designed as something to commemorate their time at East High by. But of course I suspect that this is probably reserved in advance for the DVD release, where you can sit through the entire thing in one sitting.

Perfect ending.

Author: pineapple_lollies from Australia
30 January 2009

The lights dimmed and the children became quiet. With a theatre packed with children aged under 10 years of age i could sense the excitement as the much long awaited High School Musical 3: Senior Year was about to come on screen.

The screen lit up and there it was. The face of Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) sweating from ear to ear. The movie had begun. I squealed like a two year old when i first saw his face. Believe it or not but i had been waiting several months for this movie to come out. The night before i had hardly slept as i was just too excited.

In all honesty, this movie blew me away. It really took my expectations out of the water. For a cinema release the actors had to step it up so much more from the first and second movies and they did exactly that.

Each dance number had amazing choreography and lots of glitz and glamour. The story was beautiful and in some parts it almost had me in tears.

High School Musical 3: Senior Year was nothing but an amazing entertaining and fun loving film for the children and even teenagers to love. It was not made to win any Oscars or make history, it was made to entertain and it just did that. I don't understand the people who criticize this movie. It may not be something you're going to enjoy but sure as hell the little one's are going to love it.

People say it's unrealistic, that no high school is this perfect. Which is true but why criticize this movie for stepping out of the boundaries and letting people's imaginations run wild for a couple of hours. The story was touching, the songs were beautiful and the actors really tried their hardest and as the words High School Musical came down and the six main characters jumped in the air for the last few seconds of the final song and movie i couldn't help but wipe a tear from my face.

A perfect ending to the High School Musical trilogy and i thank them for bringing something new in to the lives of younger children for the first time in a long time. High School Musical 3: Senior Year had me wishing that my life could feel just like a musical.

Better than the first two

Author: suzyyyeee from United Kingdom
23 October 2008

Before going to see this film, you should have enjoyed the first two. If you didn't, there's absolute no reason why you should go see this one. However, between the three, this feature was obviously the best. the fact that it was released in a cinema meant they had more money to use and thus made it much more an enjoyable film to watch.

The dance sequences are much more complex, the songs are much more well performed. All the cast's efforts in the first two have been put together to make the final one the best one that they could possibly do. Okay, there might be a little too much romance, and though they're supposed to be in love, they only kiss properly once...but hey it's a kids film.

Take your children to see it, it's truly magical. Take yourself to see it, and just have an open mind, but prepare for over cheesiness and a hell lot of catchy songs.

An illusional world created for those who are far away from reality

Author: Iman_is3 from Canada
26 October 2008

Once again thousands of people from all over the world ( mostly teenagers ) are going to watch this movie which lacks deeply in acting, writing and directing. This is a movie that uses colors, "songs", perfect conditions of living, schooling, clothing and illusional relationships that are so IMAGINARY to attract audiences as much as possible . Moreover, there is no school, no condition of life like this. Gettign everything you want and do whatever you wanna do. For me as a teenager is so sad and devastating to witness that the characters of this movie have become the role models of open minded individuals as teenagers, and starting to close their perspective of seeing life with delusions. Once again thanks to Disney cooperation for what it has done it to make money from fooling people by pretty and fancy deceptions.

awesome

Author: kingston-jack77 from United States
29 November 2008

now i liked the first one disliked the second one and loved the third one. this was much better than the first two. the film was a real musical. the film had a amazing beginning sequence. the film was way more dramatic than the first two. the film was spectacular to see in theaters. it was a real treat. it had better music sequences and songs like: the boys are back, may i have this dance, right here right now, i want it all, high school musical,and a night to remember. the film had a really good moral and plot. i loved this film. the good bie song "high school musical," was a good song. the main word were "high school musical, who says we have to let it go. high school musical celebrate were we come from." the film deserved the 10 out of 10 i gave it. it is also completely kid appropriate.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]