IMDb > A Monster in Paris (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Un monstre à Paris

A Monster in Paris More at IMDbPro »Un monstre à Paris (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Quite an enjoyable movie

Author: Guy Schellens
4 February 2012

I was browsing through IMDb when I stumbled upon the reviews of this movie. As a matter of fact, 6 months ago, I saw the Dutch dubbed version with 3 kids (one 6y, 2 10y).

I have to say, everybody enjoyed it. The 6y old even asked me to buy it on DVD. I wonder if the person who gave this a "1" even bothered to look at the movie at all...

Because I like Paris, I enjoyed the little details the French animators put in it. It really captures the Parisian atmosphere. The animation is in the same league as Megamind, Despicable Me etc. It's not as good as the Pixar/Dreamworks movies, but it was still very well done.

Some jokes worked, others didn't, but all in all I found it well worth the money.

A very cute film

Author: Alliennor from Paris, France
1 March 2012

I saw this movie yesterday. I was not expecting anything ; my boyfriend and I love cartoons, he chose it, I hat no idea what it was.

The beginning and exposition are a little slow, granted. But it is worth it, it allows you to enter peacefully in the story.

And as it goes on, the story gets more original as we see the monsters are not necessarily who we think.

I did not expect it to be a musical, too, and really, that's not it. But the story revolves around a singer, so she sings (and I stop here so as not to spoil). In french, she is voiced by Vanessa Paradis (yes, Jonnhy Depp's Vanessa) who is a pretty good singer and actress. The songs are pretty good, the other singer (pretty famous in France, too) add some poetry to the thing, but the music is not too much. There is no singing for no reason like in the Disney cartoons.

The rendering of Paris, during the great flood of 1910 (true story) in very well done and the atmosphere is beautiful.

There are a few situation jokes ; you don't explode with laughter but it's funny and you can see that the writers prepared them carefully (the thief joke, for instance). Plus, in the french version, there a plenty of little allusions and puns that are really fun.

All in all, a very enjoyable experience for kids or adults.

Beautiful film. Tres bonne!

Author: elroy_geronimo from Holland
17 February 2012

A very enjoyable kids' movie which pays homage to other 'monster'-classics like Frankenstein, The Phantom of the Opera and King Kong. A feast for the eyes and a classic story with a twist in which losers become heroes, heroes become villains and a monster turns out quite different to what we expect. Well not really, because all monsters are misunderstood gentle souls and greedy ambitious people always turn out to be the real monsters. The story is accompanied by beautiful songs. I regret to have seen the English version because I just know the original French chansons must be even better. My 4 year old daughter, 11 year old son and I loved it and my wife quite enjoyed as well. Certainly not a waste of money like some of the other reviewers said.

Awkward concept that almost works.

Author: cahnd2b
2 February 2012

This is not quite Pixar, but not quite awful either. It goes for a polished look similar to what we've seen in mainstream American animation, with the soft-lit cartoonish CG similar to that of Dreamworks and Pixar, and comes very close to matching their visual flair despite a more modest budget. It's pretty clear that they're hoping for commercial appeal rather than art-house obscurity here, but the film wants to have it both ways, mixing clichéd humor and characters with artistic flourishes and occasional moments of brilliance. There should be more than enough here to appeal to kids.

It's a pleasant enough experience overall and ultimately it wins you over ... but at the same time in a lot of ways it doesn't quite make it. For starters the whole story concept is painfully contrived. But this much is clear even from the shortest synopsis, so I was prepared going in.

Among the highlights of the film are the many appealing visuals drawn from the period Parisian setting. Another highlight is the rich musical score. These almost make the film a cut above, were it not weighed down by some of the more mundane elements.

On the whole it's flawed, but it does have its moments, and is worth a look.

Monster in Paris is story telling that children and adults will truly enjoy

Author: My_Opinion-245-920801 from United States
20 February 2012

A Monster in Paris is a unique uplifting kid's movie. My niece and nephew loved it. It seems the female lead character dressed as an angel is funny and beautiful, my nieces words. Now my nephew on the other hand was more interested in the monster in the film. This is one of those films that you can watch with your young ones and still be amused yourself. The melody's that we were treated to, were both exceptional and catchy. At one point my niece commented that she loved the way the little angel lady was singing. Now, she wants to be an angel/ballerina who sings. Very good movie, which had a strong underlying message to young ones a must see with the kiddies.

Cute, charming, beautifully animated, musically rich, lovely atmosphere- a very good film for the family

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
23 March 2012

I will admit at first when I first saw the trailer I wasn't entirely drawn in. But since being a fan of animation and learning from films like Lilo and Stitch, Galaxy Quest, Tangled and Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame(all examples of movies that had trailers that either didn't appeal or were misleading, but the actual film I enjoyed or was blown away by) that you shouldn't judge a movie by their trailer. I really liked A Monster in Paris, the beginning may take a little too much time to get going and like the concept there are one or two bits that seem a teensy- bit contrived. However, the way the film is written, ensures that it is all very light-hearted, with a sense of fun, a lot of charm and a big heart at its centre. The characters are still engaging, who doesn't love Franceur, and the voice acting is very dynamic. The humour is nothing absolutely extraordinary, but I was still amused by it. What I did like too were the references to early horror movies, looking at the Monster's disguise you immediately think of the Invisible Man, there are some exciting chase scenes and there is nothing overly-sentimental. There were three things though that stood out. One was the atmosphere, A Monster in Paris has such a lovely and nostalgic feel to it, seeing as that is exactly the feeling I got when I went to Paris I felt the film evoked this very well. It is a very rich film musically, with songs that completely bewitch you with their simplicity and beauty and a score that is enchanting in melody and like the atmosphere gives a sense of nostalgia. And the animation is stunning, the characters are all well-modelled and there is a clean and bright colour palette but the stars were the city landmarks, which I loved spotting, and the period setting. Overall, a very good film, not completely perfect, but better than the rating it's got at the moment and one of the more pleasant animated films of the year. 8/10 Bethany Cox

A Fun, Wild Romp!

Author: EruzaBlue from Canada
19 September 2011

So, I was lucky enough to catch this movie at TIFF this month and all I can say is...

IT WAS AWESOME!! Not quite what I expected, but a fun wild romp all the same and the "monster" Francoeur was SO ADORABLE! It was a lot more fast-paced than I expected and there was far more focus on Raoul and Emile, but they turned out to be pretty fun characters. Trust me, you won't hate Raoul and certainly not Emile; he's adorable, too.

Francoeur was just as adorable as I expected and Sean Lennon did a FANTASTIC job as his beautiful singing voice. Lucille was awesome, too. The characters are all lively and lovable, and the songs are fun and very memorable, especially the cabaret song "La Seine" and the title song "A Monster in Paris" is very emotionally-charged. I also thought the score was very good, very French, and very enjoyable. It sets the tone and scenes very nicely.

The plot was good, but like I said, very fast-paced. It flies by pretty quick, but it doesn't feel too rushed. It's quite light-hearted, but there are also some very well-done, intense moments.

Now... some people who expect a Beauty and the Beast story will be a bit disappointed by the ending, but there is still hope for the "Monster". Plus, it's all good in the end. The romance they went with did feel a tad bit forced... but that's probably just me.

Anyway, I can't say much more without spoiling some things. All in all, a good movie and I'd love to see it again.

The film which I expected to hate...

Author: Pjtaylor-96-138044 from United Kingdom
2 February 2012

Okay, so I wanted to go to the cinema with my little brother, the only problem was that i'd seen most of the films that were on at the time. So we decided to see 'a monster in Paris'. I admit, I didn't expect much from this movie, but I was surprised. Sure, the jokes are not funny and there are some continuity errors, but it was actually a pretty decent movie. It had solid animation, great voice acting and it knocked a couple of hours of my dull day. I found it a little strange how the 'monster' Franceur could sing. This film is certainly better than other foreign animations that made the swap into English, e.g 'Animals united'. You could certainly be dragged to the cinema with a younger family member to much worse films. Plus the singing sections fit in with the movie and were not annoying as hell. In most kid's musical animations the singing is random and the songs are terrible and cheesy. this film has characters that connect with you, even though there's not many. Overall, this film is a great one to watch with the kids, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait for the DVD though.

Wonderful and everything has a purpose!

Author: Priscilla Jensen from United States
24 February 2012

When I saw the artwork for this film when it was still in production, needless to say that I was excited. The colors were beautiful and I loved the designs of the characters. The music in the trailer was also very beautiful. I'm not usually one for that kind of music, but this made me want to get up and just sing and dance with it. I had been curious if it had come out in English, so I did some poking around and found it!

The very beginning of the movie confused me at first because I had expected it to all be animated and this was some footage from that time period, but it actually pertained to the movie and helped to explain what what going on with everyone. That's one thing that I really liked about this movie. Everything that was shown had a purpose. There wasn't anything that happened that didn't help in some way with progressing the movie. The clip of film, the fertilized seed, the necklace breaking. I could go on with the list of things that happened that helped with the plot. The animation and colors were very good too! I would have to say that the style very much reminded me of "Corpse Bride" that I saw a while back. The music even seemed similar.

Some of the things that I thought could have been done better would be that with the leading female I wanted to see more with her. She's a performer, I would have liked to have seen a couple different costumes while she was singing. I would have also liked to have heard more than three songs. Maybe one or two more would have been nice. Also, some of the animation just seemed a bit awkward. Mainly with the children characters where they're running. I found the ending scene with the main male and female to be a bit awkward and could have been integrated better into the story.

Overall, I loved this movie and I would gladly purchase for myself if it makes its way over to the U.S. The music and artwork were stunning, and I thought that the plot was cute too.

Tuneful kids romp, yes kids, maybe kids should review it.

Author: barjohnivell-281-726198 from Sheffield
1 February 2012

OK. First and foremost it's a kids film. On the whole all kids films are reviewed by adults on IMDb and therefore shouldn't be reviewed like Saving Private Ryan or the Green Mile. My 3 and 5 year old enjoyed the film, the characters and the music and came out smiling afterwards. Not as good as other children's films such as The Incredibles or Finding Nemo (larger budget I imagine), but certainly in the ballpark of Despicable Me or Megamind. Either way, lovely animation of Paris, interesting storyline, and for me it gave the adults enough to keep watching, or is that because I had a crush on Vanessa Paradis when I was 14?

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]