IMDb > While the Children Sleep (2007) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
While the Children Sleep

While the Children Sleep (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Mariana Klaveno is VERY, VERY good!

Author: galaxiana from Chicago, IL USA
22 September 2007

Although the plot was a bit sappy at times, and VERY rushed at the end, as if the director had run out of his alloted time and needed to hurry up and finish the story, overall it was pretty good for the Made-For-Backwoods-Cable-TV genre.

However, the actress who played the babysitter, Mariana Klaveno, was very good! I hope to see more of her around in movie-land. The music was also well done, getting every possible chill out of the dah-DUH-dah-DUH (think "JAWS") type music-based tension build-ups.

I don't think I'd want to watch "While the Children Sleep" again, but if I did, it would be to focus on the performance of the talented Klaveno.

Haven't we been here before?

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
15 February 2011

Here's an amusingly derivative psycho-thriller that acts as if all the other psychological thrillers in this genre don't exist. The template for this one, surprise surprise, is THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE, but it doesn't even manage to be the first film about a psychotic babysitter – THE SITTER was already made at the beginning of the sub-genre, back in 1991, and Alicia Silverstone had a stab as a babysitter/temptress later in that decade.

This turns out to be completely predictable and routine, although it is more watchable than some dogs the genre throws up. Russell Mulcahy, once one of Hollywood's hottest directors after HIGHLANDER, invests this with a little more style than the usual journeyman types and the pacing is pretty much spot on. Horror fans are advised to ignore the routine script and enjoy the silly murder sequences, which are quite strong for a television movie. Garden murders, bathtub murders, a staircase set-piece inspired by THE OMEN and a decent wheelchair stunt; it's all present here, as well as the over-the-top climax complete with pulled-out phone cords, duct-taped victims, carving knives and the like.

None of the characters elicit much sympathy, particularly in the case of Gail O'Grady who comes across as a bit of a bimbo as the mother. It's incredible how nobody ever suspects the angelic babysitter and becomes a bit irritating. William Moses, once the young upstanding hero of PERRY MASON, is bland as the nice-guy father. The sitter herself, Mariana Klaveno, is hopeless when she tries to do menacing, so the filmmakers wisely focus on her sexuality instead and I found her fairly effective as the teenage temptress. Still, this definitely falls into the so-bad-it's-good category, so only fans of bad movies need bother applying.

Back to the Nineties: Babysitting Femme-Fatale

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
31 March 2011

Sometimes you just know you can accurately predict what will happen in a film from start to finish, and you also know for a fact you've seen it a dozen times before and haven't liked it once. And yet, even in cases like that you sometimes continue to watch for a very banal reason. In my case, I simply watched "The Sitter" because I wanted to know whatever became of Russell Mulcahy; the once utterly cool Aussie director of 80's classics such as "Razorback" and "Highlander". Well, now I know … he directs politically correct and hugely derivative made-for-TV thrillers. The theme of "The Sitter" is very nineties. With its 'dangerously seductive (teenage) femme fatale' main formula, the film is similar to "Poison Ivy" (starring Drew Barrymore), "Wild Things" (starring Denise Richards), "Dearly Devoted" (starring Rose McGowan), "The Temp" (starring Lara Flynn Boyle) and of course "The Crush" starring the ultimate next generation's Lolita Alicia Silverstone. All these flicks revolve on seemingly sociable and alluring young girls that are, in fact, obsessive and deranged psychopaths who do not hesitate to kill if they don't get what they want. And what they want is one specific male, usually one that is already happily married and not at all looking for trouble. These males befriend their jailbait admirers and narrowly resist all the sexual allusions, but when they actually physically reject them down, both their private as professional lives turn into a living nightmare. Meanwhile, friends & neighbors of the male in question that are interfering too much begin to die in mysterious accidents. There you go, I just summarized all of the above films including "The Sitter". This particular TV-movie has nothing new to offer, except maybe the experienced directing skills of Russell Mulcahy and the attractive appearance of lead actress Mariana Klevano. She looks a bit like Liv Tyler and supposedly (according to people on her personal message board) like Selena Gomez, although I have no idea who that is. She carries her crazy wench role quite well, although she can't compete with the above mentioned ladies in the other films. The body count in "The Sitter" is quite low, but at least the murders are vile and nasty for a TV- production. Since "The Sitter", Russell Mulcahy directed a sequel to "Resident Evil" and a good old-fashioned gritty revenge thriller "Give 'em Hell, Malone". I'll just conclude that this was a side-project to be able to pay the necessary bills.

Not to be taken seriously.

Author: sly_2314
26 November 2011

I've been getting into watching lifetime movies and as I was browsing through the titles I thought this one was interesting, so I hit the record button.

When I got around to watching the movie, I was amused. The movie managed to drag on for two hours, barely keeping the viewer's attention. In fact, the only thing that kept my attention were the deaths that were sloppily done. This movie wasn't all bad, the beginning part interestingly connects with the end. You'd find yourself saying "oh...that's why" at the end of this.

When it's all said and done I would say this movie is worth a view. Mariana Klaveno completely sells it and is a joy to watch. She stands out in this cast. In fact, the only reason I'm giving this more than a 5 is because of her.

*** Spoilers begin here!*** The film begins with the cops investigating a house, because someone heard screaming. The two cops investigate and arrest the crazy mother. Then the other cop finds a young "Abby Reed"(I'll explain why it's in quotations later) in a corner, with marks on her face...obviously mistreated and abused.

The film fast forward many years as we find Abby Reed with news clippings and pictures of Carter Eastman (the father and lawyer). She's obsessed with him. Seeing that his wife has an ad for the babysitter she applies for the job. To make a long story short, the family requests an interview with Abby, they realize she's perfect and take her on.

Abby is perfect with the kids, and everything seems well. But as you know, this *is* a lifetime movie and something has to go wrong. Well the mother's nosey neighbor is skeptical of the babysitter, mainly because she catches her son sneaking a peek of her naked..Then proceeds to smack him in the face. That scene alone, is HILARIOUS. Anywho, the neighbor google searchers Abby and think she's sketchy. She proceeds to phone the Mother to warn her, however Abby is two steps ahead and kills the neighbor.

Oh shoot, she actually killed the father's friend before this I think. It wasn't that important. OK moving on!

This part is a bit hazy, but Abby tries to murder the wife. She trips her down the stairs and "saves her life" by calling 911...Because she wanted to fire her, after seeing Abby running out of the bathroom where his husband was. The mother is confined to a wheelchair where Abbey has full advantage. Meanwhile, one of the mother's friends began to do an actual google search and finds out that Abby Reed has been dead for a while. And that this woman had a trouble past. She rushes to tell the mother, but calls the house first. Idiot right? Well Abby hears this and pushes hurts the mother, ties up the children, and the husband. Then Abby tells Carter why she's obsessed with him, carter was actually the lawyer on her case. She was fascinated with him.

Then the re's a big rush to end the movie, as the mother manages to stab Abby. When Abby dies the mother smiles and turns to her husband and says, "I just fired the baby sitter". CORNY GALORE.

It fades to credits and the camera pans up to the sky. The. End.

Didn't have the best ending; but enjoyable movie

Author: Angelina Woodall
29 November 2013

I watched this movie when I was bored and looking for something to waste time with. I started this movie in hopes of being interested the whole time, but that didn't necessarily happen. There were parts I got bored with, but they were quick and more interesting things came. I thought some scenes were unnecessary, like the attraction of the neighbor's son and Abby (or Abbie). They never had a sole purpose, and I didn't quite understand the scene of Abby crying in the rain after the party got ruined and killed a man. I wasn't intrigued enough re-watch it again though. I loved the babysitter's acting; it was fabulous and so was the mother. I wish there was a little more to the part when the mother's friend went to search Abby's mother. I had a problem with the ending because it ended too quickly and didn't fulfill me enough. I was hoping they could add to it and show the aftermath. It was an enjoyable movie for the most part!

Abby the nanny who will kill anybody

Author: adi_2002 from Sfantu Gheorghe, Covasna, Romania
29 June 2013

Abby, a beautiful and attractive young woman hires as a nanny for a family. Without thinking too much, although they do not know much about her, they take her and did not even bother to find out more about her past of who she is. But those who want to learn more about it is a neighbor and a family friend. They die killed by Abby because she wants her secret not to be found. She takes care of the boy's problems at school, even in front of his father, who is scared by her. She is free of showing herself when she's changing even if she knows she's being watched by the boy at the neighbor's window that is minor. After his next-door mother noticed strange behavior, she try to find out more about Abby on her Internet profile but can not because there is not. She call her to explain why, but she finds a plausible excuse for the moment but notice that things go against her so she kills her with a cassette-recorder while bathing. It becomes personal for her when she attack Carter's wife. It has crush for him and wants to eliminate any obstacle. Unsuspecting husband even when she gets a call and says is no longer recommended that you leave your wife alone with Abby in the house but he did not listen. All think that Abby is a innocent girl and would not harm somebody, but the truth is that it is a mentally ill killer.

It is a mediocre movie, when we look at it we think we've seen this type and sometimes I felt it a series. But keep in mind that is a made for television film and because of that gives us this feeling. In the absence of something else, it works, especially for Lorena from True Blood.

Author: moniquejutta from United States
2 July 2011

This movie cracked me and my husband up! Crappy lines, and a plot so ridiculous it made for a great Friday night movie. Questions I had during the movie..

1. who.. hires a babysitter and does not do a background check?

2. who punches their son in the face for watching the baby sitter undress across the street?

The acting was awful. My favorite part is when Abby says angrily, "Here's your medicine!" Then proceeds to stab the mom in the neck with a needle..... the pure comedy in this... it was actually her medicine. If you need a great laugh.. watch this movie!

Poor man's Fatal Attraction

Author: guil fisher from New York City, NY
9 June 2009

This version of a demented female who is out for the husband of another woman is so predictable from start to finish. In fact I selected the three people who would be sacrificed in the beginning. No surprise. I blame inept writing by Stephen Niver and bland performances for this. Sometimes it's so silly and stupid you wonder how some of the people in this ever made it out the door.

William Moses once more plays the bland husband who not only doesn't have a clue, but goes around denying all the accusations he's got a nut case watching his children. He was perfectly cast as I have yet to see this actor show any level of emotion in any of his work. Add Gail O'Grady as his wife who also hasn't a clue as to what is happening around her. She falls down the stairs fine and more than once. Duh. The kids played by Madison Davenport and Tristan Leabu don't do too much except call for mommy and daddy throughout the movie.

I did like Stacey Haiduk as the friend of the wife. She at least had some moments and showed a bit of emotion. Joanne Baron also I liked but for her stupidity at leaving her house wide open for anyone to enter, and they do - enough said. Her kid played by a vacant headed Thomas Curtis didn't do too much except ogle at the baby sitter. This is acting? Jon Lindstrom didn't have too much to do., but did what he could with a thankless role. Good to see him work in anything, even this loser.

Finally we come to the baby sitter psycho played very badly by a Mariana Klaveno who I've never heard of. She was just plain awful in this. One expression of always pouting and glaring at everyone. She's not a looker with a skinny body and flat chested and hard to believe anyone would even want to lust after her. The scene where she takes her top off for the kid next door to see was so funny as when she did, nothing was underneath to look at.

I give this a zero on all counts and good wishes to Lindstrom, Hiaduk and Baron in getting better scripts and parts. Sorry.

Author: zorroaca from Mexico
6 January 2009

If you have plenty of time to waste ... it's OK. It moves at a good pace but to pull this movie off it would need to be a little longer with a little more background on the sitter.

The acting is OK. Mariana Klaveno as the sitter does the best job and is the most believable.

William R. Moses played a pretty good part as the husband.

Gail O'Grady, as the wife, had a weak part and the reasons for her going back to work were not developed.

The ending is sort of silly. Like most of these sitter movies ... there are parts that are interesting ... but overall it leaves you wondering why you spent the time.

Typical psychotic baby sitter story line

Author: kayemmdee from United States
26 June 2008

I know that movies aren't necessarily supposed to mirror reality, but this one got on my nerves. It perpetuates ignorant stereotypes about "psychological trauma" and mental illness. The "psycho mom" thing has been done too many times before (and usually done better) and much of the rest of the plot is far-fetched as well. The acting was not horrible but nothing to rave about.

One highlight: I am a long-time fan of General Hospital and it was a trip to see one of the roles played by former GH regular, Jon Lindstrom.

Anyway, if you can overlook the bogus psychoanalytical part of it, in the same way a person must suspend reality / judgment when watching a lot of movies, then this movie might be tolerable. If you have nothing better to do and fairly low standards.

I'm sorry I spent my time watching it.