IMDb > "Dirty Sexy Money" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dirty Sexy Money"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dirty Sexy Money" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Don't get invested. There's a reason the show isn't called Quality Storytelling & Consistent Characterization By People Who Value More Than Just Making Money.

Author: crispy_comments
11 March 2010

...I mean, besides the fact that it wouldn't be a short, snappy, catchy title. ;)

Sleazy soap opera shenanigans? Reality show spoof? Serious murder mystery? Examination of the abuse of power and the tempting/corruption of innocents? Satirical jab at the rich & crazy and our famewhore culture? Sympathetic look at "poor" dysfunctional family? Envy the wealthy and ogle at the opulence! No, pity the rich their shallow, empty lives! What...the...hell.

This show was all over the place. The tone, and apparent intent kept changing from episode to episode, depending on whoever was writing or directing that week, I guess. Looking at the list of credits (so many producers) it's easy to conclude that there were too many cooks in the kitchen...too many people who wanted a piece of the pie (mmm, now I'm hungry). Too many people behind the scenes who did not share a unified vision of what Dirty Sexy Money should be. Television, or any other kind of writing, by committee, sucks. Greedy, untalented hacks who attach themselves to a show they think will be a hit, also suck.

They hired some damn fine actors for this thing (which is why I tuned in). Too bad TPTB didn't really know what to do with them, wasting their talent, and our time. I didn't even bother with Season 2, which I read was even more ridiculous. There's no way this incoherent mess could've ended to anyone's satisfaction. Just be glad it ended, freeing the cast for better work.

Update: Nov. 15, 2010 - To those who find my honest assessment not "useful", oh well, at least the STAR of the show agrees with me!

ausiellofiles.ew.com /2010/01/10/ peter-krause-slams-dirty-sexy-money

(IMDB won't let me post the url, some rule about "long words" ...so you'll have to remove the spaces I was forced to insert)

Bring the show back!

Author: likegoodmovies from South Africa
4 May 2010

My whole family is addicted to this show.

We can't wait to see more. Keep it going! Everyone loves it. I think the reason the network has put the show on hold permanently is because it does not have strong hooks like prison break and other junk shows. This show is actually thoroughly enjoyable to watch, there is a strong plot, but the episodes don't usually end with a massive twist that leaves you dying to know what happened. Its just that you enjoy every minute of the show, and want more :) The characters are awesome. Brian is my favourite. Hes such an asshole :) Caren is cool as well, quite hot, and Lisa, whoa. Jeremy is also quite entertaining. All the other members fulfil important roles as well. One great thing about the show is there are always many many subplots going on and you're constantly rewarded with finding out more about each sub-plot. Its an awesome show. I'm going to miss life with the Darlings...

Too Smug for its own good

Author: grimsbybkk from Viet Nam
22 September 2009

Normally I wouldn't comment on an American soap opera however this just seems another example in a long line of mediocre work, which is just way overrated. Case in point: Peter Krause seems to be the most narcissistic actor working in TV today and the 4 or 5 expressions he managed to pick up in acting classes were wearing a bit thin in 6 feet under ( another overrated pile of doodoo ) Now they are just indicative of his total lack of character/personality/screen presence.

The married relationship smug Nick and simpering Lisa have is a boring cycle of Lisas' insincere jealousy of Karen-argument-bust up-reconciliation EVERY episode.

William Baldwins' character Patrick is supposed to be a senator or congressman or something. Well all he does is stumble around with that slack jawed, half coherent primate with hurt emotions thing he does so well, which suits 2 dimensional stereotypical characters like cons, drug dealers, drunks but is a bit of a stretch way playing a complex character like a US senator.

Donald Sutherland and Jill Clayburgh are just laughing all the way to bank.

There's more but I've got things to do.

OH Glenn Fitzgeralds' character is this shows only saving grace and it's probably not enough. Cheers

If the pilot implies what is to come...

Author: vagabondjonson from United States
1 October 2007

I comment on this title, assuming that the pilot is the last episode that will air. This show makes the mistake that many cancelled shows before it have made. It has too much of the "who cares" factor. In the first episode of a series, it's necessary to engage the audience in the show's characters in one of two ways. By the end of the show, I need to either love them or hate them. This show didn't achieve either. While it succeeded in making me disgusted with some of the characters, my disgust didn't lead to intrigue. Simply disgust. They also tried a cheap trick to get an audience by representing that the main character's father was murdered and there's a mystery around his death. This rather overused plot device has little to offer anymore. We've just seen it done too many times. I am a big fan of Peter Kraus. I've liked him since Sports Night and I heard that he did very well in Six Feet Under. But his character is represented as a street smart lawyer who has such disdain for his father's employers, yet all of his decisions in the episode speak to the contrary. He starts working for them, he picks up the phone when they call, etc. They were able to get Donald Sutherland and Peter Kraus but I'm guessing they weren't able to do this by their dazzling story arcs and pertinent dialogue. ABC must have flashed them a dollar bill.

So needless to say, the first strike was rather disappointing. I may wait a second episode before I write it off completely but if they drop the ball again, I won't be around for the third.

Much to do......

Author: truetexian from United States
4 October 2007

I agree with the reviewer that this "felt" like the Royal Tans or Running w/Scissors, both of which are acquired tastes in my opinion. Top shelf stars, no doubt. Interesting sets and an obviously expensive budget. It was meant to be intriguing but wasn't. I developed no interest in any of the characters or their predicaments and like the reviewer above, I felt nothing but disgust for most of the them. It didn't leave me looking forward to the next episode so, if it was immediately canceled, I would not take notice. That's truly sad to say of an act with such notable stars. This show has much to do if it is to gain my interest...so, in one sense, it has only one way to go but up and that's better than having crashed on take-off. On the merit of the stars' past performances, I'll give the show a few more chances.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]