IMDb > "Dirty Sexy Money" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dirty Sexy Money"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dirty Sexy Money" More at IMDbPro »

Watchable but oddball mix of wish fulfillment guilty pleasure and straight cheesy soap opera

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
24 January 2009

Network: ABC: Genre: Drama; Content Rating: TV-14 (for strong suggested sex); Available: DVD; Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1 – 4);

Seasons Reviewed: Complete Series (2 seasons)

Despite starring in two cult classics now, "Sports Night" and "Six Feet Under", Peter Krause is something of an acting enigma - a likable leading man who can carry a series, but can't seem to get under the skin of a character. Giving another blank-faced performance, Krause offers nothing behind "Dirty Sexy Money's" lawyer Nick George that makes him a hard guy to root for.

Created by Craig Wright, "Dirty Sexy Money" is an oddball combination of a wish-fulfillment series and a straight-up prime-time cheesy soap opera. After a mysterious plane crash that claims the life of his father, Nick becomes the family lawyer of The Darlings - America's wealthiest and most powerful family whose eccentric members spend as much time on the front pages of the tabloids as they do brokering multi-billion dollar deals. There is no real life equivalent to The Darlings though I'm sure a few families think they are. Donald Sutherland effortlessly plays the scheming patriarchal figure of the dynasty Tripp, snarling just as he did in "Commander in Chief". We've also got Patrick (William Baldwin, with a "golly me?" look on his face the entire series) a budding politician, Karen (Natalie Zea, in various states of undress) daddies little girl and serial bride, Jeremy (Seth Gabel) as the loafing black sheep son and Brian (Glenn Fitzgerald) a reverend who having toiled away for the family for years feels entitled to a little compensation and is never rewarded. Karen has a thing for Nick, Jeremy has a thing for Nick's wife (Zoe McLellan, with short "nice wife" TV hair). The constant scandals and ridiculous demands of the Darlings prove to be a strain on Nick's life and marriage.

"Money" is an agreeably watchable little bit of escapist TV. I can't help but wish that the antics of the Darlings would have been better played for class-warfare laughs, slyly mocking the rich and spoiled instead of the genuine attempt at drama the show milks. The show wants to have both side with the Darlings as one big caring family and show them as a ruthless business family in which Tripp manipulates everyone to jack up the stock price and sweeps scandals (up to and including accidental death) under the public eye's rug. It depicts them as double-edged coin: both a black hole of need that sucks up Nick's every waking moment and as an opportunity for him to live the good life, constantly being thrust into positions of wealth power and prominence that he doesn't quite earn at Tripp's arbitrary hand. Time and again Nick is the only one Tripp can "count on". The antics of the Darlings are dragged down a bit by a wholly unnecessary storyline involving the plane crash murder mystery of Nick's father.

Things really get crazy in season 2 when Blair Underwood and Lucy Liu come on board. Liu is a ruthless prosecutor going up against the family who has an affair with Jeremy. Underwood is Tripp's corporate arch enemy shown glowering over security cameras and involved in the most elaborate schemes s to bring down the Darlings. The Wyle Cyote to Tripp's Roadrunner, halfway between "Madea's Family Reunion" and a James Bond villain. It's the juiciest role on the series and Underwood appropriate chews through the scenery. Fitzgerald actually gives my favorite performances on the show. It is a role of frustrated, simmering anger whose arc involving his wife and son, paternal history and position as his father's suck-up is far more interesting than anything going on with Nick.

Taking us into a world of wealth and privilege with snarling villains, hot women, easy sex and lavish parties, "Money" fits the guilty pleasure bill quite well. The scandals are certainly more "Desperate Housewives" than "Nip/Tuck" if that's your thing. The show remains exactly the glossy guilty pleasure escapism that it wants to be. This type of escapism doesn't require it to be compelling or humorous or, really anything. While it makes it a forgettable and disposable series, "Money" certainly does that.

* * / 4

The best pilot ever, an okay followup

Author: agf8623 from United States
4 October 2007

The pilot for this show was excellent. It felt like watching a good movie. I would say that it is the best pilot for a show that I've ever watched. The characters were well developed, I liked how they contrasted with one another, and the director did an excellent job making the Darlings look bigger than life.

I watched the second episode last night and I was disappointed. Juliette and her twin were so well defined in the pilot, and I was expecting a repeat performance. However, the original larger than life attitudes were absence. This was also true with most of the characters. The only character who hadn't changed that much was the priest. He was still incredibly ironic and in role.

My thoughts... I hope ABC takes a good look at the filming of the pilot and tries harder to capture the "bigness" of the family. Please don't let such a great show slip into a nighttime soap opera.

On a last note, I do wonder if the pilot was filmed last? Why else would the characters be so developed in the first show and not so developed in the second?

A movie worth a watch

Author: dreamity from K.L
28 October 2014

Very nice movie. Good storyline, acting was good, great suspense too. Overall 👍👍👍👍👍. Nick's acting was very good, loved his level of coolness and stern looks. The Darlings founder's death shocked them and the little scene at the funeral was suspense. Lucy Liu's role was also beautifully played especially the sexy scenes. Lisa and Jeremy's intimate scene in The nutcracker was pure seduction. Brian's hot-tempered character also looked so nice and cool especially the scene where he shouted at the police. Freddy and Karen's marriage day proposal was so touching. And got even more thrilling when Karen suddenly wanted divorce in the middle of the wedding party.

Money and Scandal

Author: SnoopyStyle
23 August 2013

This is the story of a rich powerful scandal-ridden family and the lawyer they hired to solve their problems. It's a promising concept but it's reliant on the likability of the characters. They can't be all douches and mostly they're not. Mostly they're just damaged by the secrets they're keeping.

Peter Krause plays Nick George, a childhood loved-one, who the family hires to protect them. Donald Sutherland plays the patriarch. Jill Clayburgh is the matriarch. William Baldwin is the son with political ambitions. Natalie Zea is the jet setting daughter. Samaire Armstrong is the dysfunctional young daughter whose real life problems pushed her out of the series.

The show lasted 2 seasons. The first season went well, but the second season got weighted down by too much revelations. Sadly it's the usual way for a failing TV show to ramp up the drama.

Not Dirty. Not Sexy. No Money (A MAJOR SPOILER)

Author: magic-tone from Australia
31 August 2009

Dirty Sexy Money was an entertaining series, but not enough to get above a 6. The series title speaks for itself, and lied. There was no dirty stuff in it, it absolutely was not sexy, and there is rarely any money used it this show. I really expected more from this 'ehh' show. The thing is I liked it and was good, and funny and nice story-lines to each of the characters. I was surprised that Juliet wasn't in very many episodes, just a few scenes. Brian Darling (or Brian George) the rude Reverend, Letitia Darling, the innocent wife, Patrick Tripp Darling, the boss and leader, Patrick IV, the congressman who has an affair with a transsexual, Karen Darling, the naughty and 'Miss I Have A Crush On Cute Nick George', Simon Elder, the mysterious man who might have had something to do with Dutch's death and Nick George, the naive and kind man who doesn't want to work for the darlings, but the ten million bucks just reeled him in. This rich world of the darlings will take you into a magical place. But has nothing to with Dirty, or Sexy, or Money

Reinstate this show!!

Author: allyson-munger from United States
14 May 2011

I have Netflix, and I began to watch this show, as I like to pull up different series and see what they are all about. I plunge into their world, and I indeed miss them after I am finished watching the series. Dirty Sexy Money indeed needed to have been continued for a thousand more episodes as far as Im concerned!!! I think Netflix allows us to watch and enjoy shows that we had no idea existed, or were aired when inconvenient to watch them. Why can't a network reinstate a series??? I think it's an excellent idea, for people that became enamored of them after the fact. They would actually have a large gaggle of new and old followers!!! This series was excellent, and I couldn't get enough of it. Pure escapism!!!!

Season 2 Episode 13

Author: grettapointsetta from New York
17 January 2011

Is season 2 episode 13 really the last showing of Dirty Sexy Money??? So many things are left lingering, and what's more, we have learned many new things that could change everything. Even the best dramas, such as this one, lose their magnetism by having an unsolved ending. Seriously, was this supposed to be the last episode, or is episode 13 somehow meant to round things out? It certainly seemed like more was to come. Are we left to believe that Dutch is alive and in fact the "bad guy" and that perhaps Simon was working for him? If so, what motive did Dutch have in attempting to sabotage the Darling family? If anything, Tripp should have more animosity towards Dutch, but he doesn't. Is Jeremy going to get an annulment so that he and Lucy Lou can be together? Are Nick and Karen going to get married and have a child together? I've searched IMDb and cannot seem to find out if this show will be returning. I really hope it does.

bad very bad end

Author: dr_unknown_lover from Egypt
26 December 2010

i loved the show give it 7 stars

then i hate the situation of the lawyer to raise the devil son it will be good end if just the abortion happen by carin choice so i give it 3 stars as revenge in exchange for the time i just wonder when will writers of the stories will end their series a good end??!! he killed me just like the one of lost my favorite character was barian i hate the idea of going back to the Church he is the best character in the show he is combination of realistic and drama i will give the actor who make this role 9 stars he is good really good i hate carin so mush by the way i do not love the idea that give her a good end because she is slut and hurt every one and at the end she win every thing

Dirty Sexy Money better than most shows on today on TV

Author: byrd-dbrh from United States
6 February 2010

Please bring this show back Dirty Sexy Money. It was one of the best shows on ABC. Please, at the very least let us see the rest of the episodes and put on a special of the show if necessary to bring closure. You left us hanging in the air. It is a very intriguing, sophisticated show. you did not give this show a fair chance to prove itself. It came on at different times. if i did not have this show on for automatic recording i would have missed it. please bring it back to television. why don't you take a poll to see if enough people want it to come back. it is a whole lot better than most of the shows you have on now. it is more interesting than Desperate Houswives. Right now Mon. Tues. Fri. nights are dead totally. the best shows are Ugly Betty, Grey's,Brother's and Sisters, Private Practice and maybe The Deep End. Give it a try believe me it is worth a try! to bring it back. Thank you, Deb

dirty sexy money

Author: antonia gordon from United Kingdom
23 April 2009

i think that ABC should rethink there decision to end dirty sexy money i love it so much so please please please watch it n maybe there Will be newer episodes made, n also could some one leave me a comment telling me what has happened to juliet darling she seems just to just have disappeared i am not sure if thats because i have missed an episode were she leaves or they have just forgot to call her up and say you should be in work so can some one get back to me on that please thank you xx

and also i am not to sure what happened to helen did she die or something i missed an episode did lettita kill her so if any one knows please get back to me i love dirty sexy money so much and i love jeremy he is fit haha thank you again x