IMDb > Nine Dead (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Nine Dead

Nine Dead More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Total letdown - does not deserve it's rating

Author: jennnk40 from United States
13 March 2010

What a complete waste of time. The movie starts as a clone of the Saw series, but with even worse acting. Melissa Joan Hart is absolutely horrible. The ending is ridiculous and the story contains no twists, not plot surprises and just a plain bad ending. I liked some of the characters and I was hoping for everything to be tied together at the end. It just doesn't happen. It's a total "Wrestler" ending with none of the good acting. I can't believe I spent the time watching this. It's not "fun" as some people put it. A guy in a mask kidnaps people who are connected and forces them to figure it out. The connection is a stretch and he should have shot the main actress first.

Terrible ending, but a real fun movie otherwise!

Author: Prolox from Canada
4 September 2010

In this fascinating thriller, Nine people of various backgrounds are abducted & chained up in a room, with a masked gun man coming in telling them that every ten minutes someone will die, unless they can figure out why they are all here & what their connection is to each other, as time goes on, the body count mounts, as the gun man kills one person every ten minutes as the group tries to piece all the clues together & as time goes on, each of the remaining survivors try to come up with explanations as to why they are there, their dark secrets & their connections to one another, as well as the gun man only to soon realize the the real explanations are not only chilling, but the gun man may not be the real monster, as some that they are trapped in the room with may be even bigger & far more cruel. I was really impressed with NINE DEAD, the film was very well acted & directed, with lots of suspense & very interesting dialogue. What I like about the film is that, the dialogue was not only good, but was able to draw it's audience in from first frame till last. The characters were interesting & so was the plot twists that abound. The film is basically a stage play, since 90% of the film takes place in a room, in the wrong directors & actors hands, this could have been a disaster, a real bore of a movie, thankfully that's not the case here. Despite being one of the top billed, DANIEL BALDWIN, only has a two minute cameo in the film. Similar to SAW, HOUSE OF 9, STEEL TRAP, CAPTIVITY & another film with similar characters which was called BREATHING ROOM, but with the exception of SAW, this film is so much better than those other movies. If only this film had a better ending, the ending here is really terrible, since not only does it feel like the filmmakers ran out of film, but that one of the characters (I'm not saying who) who turned out to be quiet sneaky & despicable, may have gotten away. In fact the ending seems to be the thing that many fans & critics have dumped on this movie, which begs the questions, to those who hated it, is the movie bad because they thought it was bad? or was the movie bad in their eyes because of the ending? if it's the former, I say everyone has their own opinions, what is a piece of cinematic gold in one viewers eyes, is a hunk of dirt in another's, but as for the latter, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, SHOCKER & many other films made before, had terrible endings (arguably) that left many fans feeling cheated since the films had so much momentum going in, but still that didn't stop people from loving those movies. In fact, I was a little hesitant about seeing the movie at first, because of some of the negative reviews, but I decided to check it out anyways & I am glad I did & I really recommend you see this film. Yes I agree with everyone who says the ending is terrible, but don't let that stop you from seeing this otherwise interesting suspense thriller!

***1/2 stars

Very good

Author: Christian H-N from Denmark
26 December 2010

Very good movie indeed. I don't understand why other reviewers find the ending terrible - do you need to get everything spelled out and bent in neon?

Very good point that nobody is innocent, they have just not received a sentence for their crimes, so they can merrily believe, that they have done nothing wrong. Which is arrogant, wrong and not insightful.

***spoilers here***

Let me bend the end in neon to those, who thinks it was terrible: - All that happened in the room was broadcast on some media channel - at some point we see the room on a computer monitor, indicating that there is a camera down there. The villain even says, that it has been broadcast for everyone to see, so as we see the district attorney flee like a dog, thinking that she can just continue her lifestyle like nothing happened, she has not learned anything. Do we need to see her arrest, trial, punishment etc?

Maybe the point is, that it is the most cynical who is able to take advantage of the situation who survives. Don't come with morale and ethics and such expensive concepts - when it comes to survival, people will do anything. And it usually pays off. And that's the true horror in an otherwise civilized world.

Riding the wave.....badly!

Author: Daniel Elford from United Kingdom
2 March 2011

Chris Shadley has been involved on a production level in various other projects, including big hits, but this is his first time directing. Patrick Wehe Mahoney had never written for the screen before this. Going by "Nine Dead", neither of them should try again. Harsh? Perhaps, but if you take the time to see this movie, you will quickly be on board with that view.

Nine people are kidnapped by a masked stranger, put in a room, and told they must deduce the reason they are there. Every ten minutes they will be asked, and if they fail to answer correctly, one of them will die. An intriguing setup, even if not completely unfamiliar to those who know of "The Killing Room", "Cube", or Agatha Christie, and clearly an idea that is trying to ride the wave of the "Saw" series, borrowing heavily from classic revenge movies and the exploitation cinema of the 70's in various ways. The fact it is rather derivative did not bother me so much (I am happy to watch a completely derivative piece of work if it is good as a standalone film). The problem is that they manage to make it look cheaper than it is, with a shooting style that you would expect to find in an impressive student film; clunky editing sewing flashback sequences in that just feel awkward; there is no excitement after the setup; no twists, no turns, no surprises, and when you finally reach the inevitable reveal of the connection, it is rather uninteresting, not to mention hard to believe that this person would have gone to this extent for revenge. It is like saying you're going to make a gorgeous desert for after dinner and all you can come up with is vanilla ice cream. If that isn't bad enough, imagine then throwing the ice cream on the floor! That, if you're confused, is my analogy for the ending. I enjoy a movie with a provocative endings, a movie that leaves you something to think about, provokes a discussion, or even a movie that is open-ended, so long as it is justified; this ending just screams that they did not know what to do with it.

I'm not necessarily a sucker for top-name casting and am always happy to see new talent and give it a chance, but despite a couple of exceptions, this cast is awful. Some may seem familiar from character work they have done elsewhere, but barely any can deliver anything without looking like they have just been told their lines from off camera; even the "bankable" lead Melissa Joan Hart (Sabrina The Teenage Witch) fails rather miserably to deliver anything close to believable. This is of course not helped by the dialogue they are given, which from beginning to end is the most banal writing I've seen for some time! At points I even found it a bit insulting, Mahoney presuming that an audience, even those who are not dedicated genre fans, would relate to anything anyone in this film has to say; there seems to be, at points, attempts at social commentary (much akin to the early "Saw" movies) that is just trite, over-simplified rubbish! To believe that anyone interested in a film like this would accept and believe some of these characters' ways of thinking as being even remotely realistic is a big mistake on its own.

So you're wondering why a three-star rating, right? It is simply for no other reason than the fact I have seen worse; I liked the performance of the hostage-taker (certainly the most interesting character present), and I genuinely feel it is an idea that, if committed to the screen by someone who knew what they were doing with the material, "Nine Dead" would have come out as an enjoyable mystery thriller.

As it is, it is just completely forgettable, lacking the intelligence and intrigue of "Cube", the frightening social bite of "The Killing Room" and the cinematic panache of "Saw" all at once.

In short, do not bother.

A good psychological horror movie.

Author: TdSmth5 from US
10 October 2011

A masked creep kidnaps 9 people, puts them in a room, handcuffs them to a tube. He tells them their mission is to find out why there are there. Every ten minutes he will kill one of them unless they tell him the answer. The group is made up of a cop, two street thugs, a Vegas strip joint owner/mobster, a DA, a priest, a homosexual, a goody two shoes guy, and an Asian woman who doesn't speak English. What ensues is the typical American psycho horror: a bunch of people screaming at each other, insulting each other, grandstanding, deceiving, unable to work together, sometimes trying to work together. Obviously, they won't be able to find the answer in the first couple of 10-minute blocks. They touch on an important issue but don't see it's significance until later. Eventually they start "confessing" their sins, what each did that could have made someone mad enough to devise such a plan. So we learn something about them all. But whenever 10 minutes are up, the masked guy shows up, picks one of them, tells him the reason why they are there and then kills him. How it all turns out is quite interesting, but the ending not satisfying at all.

I'm not a fan of the idiots-bickering subgenre of horror, but this one does work. It doesn't take the insulting to insufferable extremes like the reality-footage movies but rather focuses more on the story. And you do want to find out what the story is. Even though the answer to the puzzle is somewhat mundane it is effective. The ending however is so weak it's puzzling. Performances are very good overall, and that's really the key in a movie like this. And the movie does manage to build quite a bit of tension.

Nine Dead

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
27 March 2010

Nine people are systematically kidnapped after being rendered unconscious by a masked man's taser while walking to their various vehicles. These people, of all walks of life, find themselves handcuffed to poles and are told by their mysterious captor that they have a certain allotted time limit(ten minutes each)to uncover why they are in this situation. If they are unable to do so, one individual of the group will be killed, a random selection chosen for execution.

Melissa Joan Hart is Kelley, a self-absorbed, very corrupt district attorney, whose needs(career) come before anything(or anybody)else. Chip Bent is Sully, a boorish strip joint owner with a rotten soul known for using violence on those who fail to pay him for lending money among other practices. Lawrence Turner, as depraved, bi-sexual pedophile ex-con Coogan who delights in watching the others squirm while attempting to come up with the answer behind their plight..Coogan, I imagine, will the most memorable of the cast because he's so deplorable, and unapologetic about his sickening nature. Edrick Browne is black burglar Leon, and yes there are conversations about race..it's inevitable when a lone black character is supplied in such a scenario that race will be brought up, never fails. John Cates is struggling actor/bartender Christian, who may be a root cause for why everyone is in this predicament. Marc Macaulay as a priest(no he is not in this situation because of pedophilia..I bring this up because, truth be told, it immediately came to my mind as well), Father Francis, who heard a confession and will not relate the information to the rest because of his vow to God. Lucille Soong as an Oriental woman who can not speak English..this will undoubtedly cause a tumult among the parties due to the language barrier(if they can not understand her, how can they understand why she relates to them?). James C Victor as a cop, Eddie, who has a history with Kelley later revealed. Daniel Baldwin shows up in what is an unimportant cameo.

A Saw variation, just less brutal than what we normally see in these types of character puzzlers(..the killer uses only a loaded gun, shooting his victims point blank as they plead for their lives, begging to be spared) where an assemblage of stereotypes try to discover a way to recover past mistakes and decisions which might've contributed to their current dilemma. I imagine Melissa Joan Hart's name in the lead will draw curious viewers interested in seeing her in a film such as this..and, boy, is she a whopper to behold, certain to create repulsion in many a viewer. Chris Shadley's "Nine Dead", as many of the Saw movies and their imitators, opens with characters we know little about, and as the plot unfolds, revelations and behavior tell us all we need..this kind of plot services us with a catharsis, as character unveil their hidden flaws while understanding the crisis confronting them.

I think the key to the film's modest success is that it really feels like these characters have ten minutes a piece as we literally hears the seconds tick as time becomes an issue and details emerge with the usual bickering and personality clashes. I won't lie, I thought the end result, after the mystery has been solved, was a bit contrived(..Kelley's actions are certain to bewilder, us having to accept that someone could be so abominable is a bit hard to fathom), but it comments on how, despite facing death every moment, one might still remain so selfish and concerned for(..and consumed with) their own well being, even upon possible absolution. As with the Saw series, "Nine Dead" often shows flashbacks from past events to weave it's tale. Most of the film occurs within the "cell" of the characters, where they are confined.

A great "SAW" like film, but disappointing ending =/

Author: Rob Lord from United Kingdom
5 June 2010

I thought altogether the film was very much worth watching, and I'd definitely watch it again! The film is much like the SAW series without the disgusting gore and with more thought involved. When I say thought, I mean that it keeps you involved making you try to figure out why they're there. The acting was average but you can't expect the best for a low budget film, and I think the acting did do justice. The only real disappointment with this film; was the ending, it's as if they're trying to lead you on to a sequel :/ Maybe they ran out of money for the film and had to cut it short but there are so many better ways to finish what would otherwise have been a blockbuster! :)

If only the ending....

Author: Lunaroseice from United States
4 March 2011

If only the ending were different. The first 7 minutes were not great. But once you get the 9 into the closed room and they have to put the puzzle together and solve the mystery, I loved it - until the end.

Some people say it was a Saw copycat. I have not seen the Saw movies. I do not like slasher films and that seems to be all the saw movies are. This was far more cerebral.

I didn't think the acting was as bad as some people said. Perhaps because they hated the movie they were more critical of the actors than perhaps the actors deserved.

It was the ending that ruined the movie for me. The puzzle was solved. All the pieces finally fall together. For people who love mystery novels this is the greatest moment. But then the person who is the 'most' guilty in the whole mess takes out the other survivors to save her career. That just made me really mad. The person who carries the most blame escapes the room and escapes justice.

Makes me want to scream in frustration.

May want to pass on this one if you are looking for a hard core suspense movie, however it is a rainy day pick.

Author: Mitzi Fenno from United States
15 March 2010

If you are like me and read IMDb reviews to decide what to download, and you are looking for a hard-core suspense or horror movie, you may want to pass on this one. The unfortunate part (and isn't this the truth about most of the movies out today) is that it COULD have been a good thriller. If not for the terrible script and stereotypical characters. A black guy, Chinese woman that doesn't speak English, cop, lawyer, priest, gay child molester/possible murderer...it is like the Noah's ark to re-populate the planet in case of nuclear war. The acting, set and backgrounds were actually decent. The story: Nine separate unrelated people are abducted, then chained to metal poles in a cement basement room. They are then then given 90 minutes to figure out their relationship to each other. In the meantime, every 10 minutes (counted down by an old school flip clock mounted on the wall) without an answer to that question a person will die. After informing the 9 of this task the hooded masked jailer dumps a pile of colored chalk on the floor to help them figure out their dilemma, locking the door behind him. Interesting concept. Too bad the movie jumps right into the story without sitting up the premise. For example they don't start right away to try to figure out their connection. Instead - because they have all the time in the world - they talk about how fake this must be, and there is laughing within 5 minutes. Laughing... by 9 people doomed to die, who don't know each other. And they have petty arguments after seeing the first victim gunned down in front of them (poor guy gets a part in this movie for like, 10 minutes), call their hooded jailer an "a**hole", and then try to reason with him. Sigh. As the movie continues the prisoners discover that to answer the question they must disclose all of their deepest darkest secrets to each other. In the process relationships between some of the nine start to surface, and others remain vague and only become clear right before the question is answered. About a third of the way in is where you start to get interested in the characters and why they are there, and who might want to kill them. You almost start rooting for some of them before the end. And the others you just hope will be next. Because solving the puzzle involves hearing information from the characters, there is no way a viewer (like you) can figure out the conclusion of the movie. So it isn't predictable, a good thing. Summary: if you hang in there you will get absorbed. I rate it a 5 because it is actually IS a rainy day today and I watched the entire thing without fast forwarding or changing the channel. So, as a bonus, you may be seeing the vehicle that launched MJH's new direction in acting as a cold hearted b****. If you watch it it to the very end you will be thinking the same thing.

Surprisingly gripping

Author: Andres Salama from Buenos Aires, Argentina
21 June 2010

The poster suggests a cheap knock off of the Saw franchise. So does the first few minutes of this low budget movie, showing nine blindfolded persons being brought into a decrepit industrial room and handcuffed by a masked gunman. As it unfolds, though, Nine Dead turns out to be a surprisingly good, engaging and even intelligent drama. The gunman tells the nine seemingly disparate people (among them a policeman, a district attorney, a nightclub owner, a priest, a street burglar, a pedophile who has served time in jail and a man who works for an insurance company) that he will come into the room every ten minutes and kill one of them until they tell him the reason he has brought them there. As the movie unfolds, and more and more people get killed by the gunman, the survivors realized they are all connected through the gripping case of an innocent man whose life was destroyed by them. The movie stays away from the gore and the torture (beyond the necessary) and goes for an intelligent plot. It is also well acted (mostly by unknowns to me, except Melissa Joan Hart in a good turn as a district attorney who turns out to be the most amoral person in the movie). If the penultimate scene seems to indicate that the movie will settle for a comforting finale, the great ending leave us with the good taste of a surprisingly good movie.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]