IMDb > "Women's Murder Club" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Women's Murder Club" More at IMDbPro »

The Only Good New Show This Season

Author: Barry Sumpter from United States
10 November 2007

I guess that could be read as a backhanded compliment given how many awful, dreadful shows premiered this season, but women's Murder Club is actually excellent.

It is well-written, with interesting and endearing characters and decent plots.

It's generally well-directed with almost none of the shaky-cam dreck that's making audiences flee network TV by the millions.

It's decently acted and you can tell that the producers are trying to actually make a good show, not sleepwalk through by using every cliché known to TV producers.

It's the only show I watch on ABC (which should give up its "Start Here" campaign, because that's exactly what I do. I watch Women's Murder Club and I go away.

Best of all. It's a fun watch not just for women!!

The Best New Show of the Season

Author: golden79999 from United States
27 October 2007

By far!!

Well, there is also Life, but it's starting to lose its quality (can I smell NBC interfering with it?)

But back to Women's Murder Club. The show is very well written, has interesting plots and intriguing character.

The casting is decent enough, especially Laura Harris, and most important it is extremely well shot. On HD, it is a sight to behold.

The directing is also pretty good, especially that they are not shaking the camera around so you can actually see what's going on.

Overall, in a super-disappointing season (see Bionic Woman, Chuck, Journeyman, and so forth) Women's Murder Club shines.

Excellent Show

Author: (charlizeryan) from United States
20 October 2007

This is one of the few decent shows of the new season.

It's very well-written, has an attractive cast and directors that don't shake the camera for no reason.

What more would you want? Just those facts alone make it one of the best new shows on TV this year.

It's actually engaging, has interesting characters and it's a pleasure to watch it.

The only drawback is the awful title, which ABC would be well-inspired to change into "Murder Club".

Otherwise, thumbs WAY up in a season of Bionic Women and Pushing Daisies.

The women's murder club

Author: one_way1983 from United States
12 October 2007

This show looks promising although their usually aren't any good shows on Friday nights. The show revolves around four career women, one a DA,homicide detective,a medical examiner and lastly a young reporter who works together to solve murders. It is a show about women and me as a female makes me feel that I too can roll with the big boys. Angie Harmon is married to her job and we learn that her job interfered with her marriage, which ultimately ended it. Now, her ex-husband comes back to town after a 2-year absence and to her dismayed he is now her lieutenant whom she is avoiding. Her character is still in love with him and you can obviously see that he too although he is engaged to be married to a school teacher. The DA character is in a relationship with a doctor who appears to be head over healed in love with her, but she has reservation. We learn that she is having an affair with the defense attorney who sees the true her. The medical examiner we learned is the level-headed one whose family oriented and the one who gives advice when nobody wants it. We find out as the pilot progressed that she is married with children and her husband is in a wheelchair; possible mysteries is what causes his paralysis and whether that him being in a wheelchair caused her to take a special interest in investing crimes or whether he was a former detective. The reporter appears to have a photographic memory and the other women appears to be reluctant to let her in in their secret club; however, it appears that she is going to have to prove to them that she can be one of them. The DA, the homicide detective and the medical examiner appears to be best friends who don't really talk much about their personal feelings except if it's work related; however, they each get each other and knows when one of them need comfort or when they need to back off.

The writings and dialogues need to get sharper. I think this show shows promise and it worth seeing after watching the pilot episode and hopefully the show does not disappoint me. This is a lifetime type of dramady; however, the scripts and acting is way much better.

Women's Murder Club

Author: Kate_Pafford from United States
2 November 2007

I have read the first three books and I saw 1st to Die with Carly Pope and Pam Grier, who I enjoy very much, and was a little disappointed. I tuned into the show to compare the three and I love this show. Angie is amazing and as brash as Lindsay. I adore the entire cast and really like the story lines. So for those of you who don't like the show, find something else to watch because this is true to the books. Thumbs up for putting it on the television! The cast works well together, the stories are very complex and keep you guessing and the directing works very well. I would like to see some other characters and killers from the books come in to the show, but so far it's been a whirlwind of great fun. If you enjoy tough chicks who are smart and savvy, tune in.

Please keep Women's Murder Club on the air

Author: LMartin5-2 from United States
11 January 2008

One of the best crime dramas ABC has produced in quite some time. The actors are fantastic. The plots are engaging and we are beginning to really care about the characters and their professional and personal struggles. There is a perfect balance between drama, romance and comedy in this series. The bond between the four club members is real and each character seems to care about the other. The crime situations also are very real as they unfortunately dictate much of what we see in society today. Fortunately, the good guys end up winning in the end. Of course a lesson was learned, a criminal was removed from society, a character's personal life was changed for the better perhaps... Many people will be very disappointed if the series does not return.

Huge James Patterson fan

Author: jking143 from United States
28 December 2007

I have read all the Women's Murder Club books and like them but I think this show is even better than the books. Am I the only one who does not care for Laura Harris' acting? She seems so stilted and uncomfortable. Always putting her hands in her pockets like she doesn't know what to do with them, smiling at inappropriate moments as though she's uncomfortable with the camera on her. I love the other characters and even though it seems like Lindsey was a blond in the books...Angie Harmon is perfect for the part. She is great. Hope this show stays on for seasons. This and Boston Legal are the only reasons I ever watch ABC.

simple and cute

Author: kaching70
4 November 2007

i would totally agree with you, i have to say something tho, i didn't like this show at first,but then one nite i was kinda bored and didn't have anything to watch so i decided to watch the rest of the Episodes i had,as matter of fact im watching Episode 4 rite now and i had to come here and say something about the show, since its new one and im sure a lot would like to hear some feedback about the show. i find it really entertaining ,and cute, and funny somehow...they acting is really good, and the stories also good. if i want to describe this show in few words i would say: simple ,cute with good stories in it. Laura Harris is my favorite in the show so far, she is sensitive and strong in same time..i didn't like Lindsay Boxe at first but when i watched more episodes i actually start liking her, strong and funny personality and so addicted to her work. i think you will have to watch it ur self and decide if you agree with me or not..but so far i really like this show and i hope u will too .

A different twist on an overused theme

Author: BGrrl from Washington
10 November 2007

I thought there were more than enough murder shows on TV with all the CSIs and Law & Orders, etc.. But I like Angie Harmon, so I gave this new show a shot. I was really impressed with the twist of the "women's club" -- A basic stereotype is that men are more emotionally detached, so they can better deal with the horrifying nature of this kind of police work. This show places women in these hard roles, with all their emotions still running. That causes a different dynamic, allows for a new twist on the homicide scene. WMC ends most episodes with these 4 women gathering to check in with one another, to deal with the emotional difficulties of the job and life in general. It adds a soft touch, shows the harsh reality of the homicide beat, and makes the characters more real and likable.

Excellent Show - Best in Class

Author: mitchabramowitz from United States
14 February 2008

Women's Murder Club was the good surprise of the season.

it's well-written, well-acted, has beautiful cinematography and engages the viewer intelligently.

In other words, it's a far cry from the umpteen bad shows that the networks introduced this year.

Sadly, it was never promoted heavily by ABC and thus still hasn't reached its full commercial potential. Regardless, it's been doing extremely well in the ratings and won its night regularly. What more can a network want? The characters are all very real and engaging and while the personal stories have a danger to fall into soapy, they've so far remained engaging and have been balanced very well with the "crime of the week".

The creators have all been fired by the network, and I hope the new people ABC will bring in won't turn this into another unwatchable soap opera.