IMDb > "Reaper" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Reaper"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Reaper" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

this show is really good

Author: dharmaelle from los angeles
26 September 2007

I decided this fall season that I would give every show one chance. So far they've all been bust. But, last night I TiVO'd Reaper (thinking I wouldn't enjoy it at all) and to my much delighted surprise found myself really enjoying it. It has comedy throughout, action, drama, and could have some cool special effects down the line (if it gets picked up for a second season and has a bigger budget). I recommend people give this show a shot because it's a keeper this new Fall season. It has likable characters, a great story (whether you believe in the Devil or not), and it has all the elements to be a fantastic show. I hope America doesn't let this one slip by. And so far, this is the only new show on the CW I will be watching every week.

A good non-cable show !? Who knew?

Author: geesuz from Los Angeles
20 October 2007

Reaper was much much better than I thought it was going to be; consistently funny and not predictable in the way that most sitcoms are. It is a regular on my TiVo list now, I can only hope that the network doesn't kill it off for some lame reality show replacement. If you get a chance, watch it, it is the rare network show that is funny without resorting to being dumb. It's so strange to actually have something decent to watch on regular TV! Excellent casting, especially for the Devil.

Oh, and the person who was reminded of Shaun of the Dead - the unlikely loser hero with the fat maladjusted buddy is a comedy standby. Shaun of the Dead borrows from some of the best as well - Ghostbusters, Army of Darkness, etc....But the comparison to Shaun of the dead is really a compliment - watch Reaper folks, you won't regret it, and you will actually laugh for a change.

Still can't believe that this is on Network TV.....it's too good, someone must have made a mistake.

Must Be The DEVIL

Author: jahobi clive from United States
25 September 2007

I have seen the pilot and I must say Here Comes The DEVIL. In the first episode Sam Oliver learns that his parents sold his soul to the devil he must now serve as a bounty hunter, tracking down evil souls that have escaped and returning them to hell. Despite saying no he has no choice and uses the help of his goofball friend (Bert)"SOCK" Wysocki (who complains (sort of) that HE wasn't sold to the DEVIL). Its one of the best shows and has great amounts of laughs and after an hour of jokes that don't bore you down I must say Reaper is here to stay AND the CW has got a winner in this one. I think it might even pass House and The Unit and lots of ordinary humans (the ones that don't have a DEVIL for a boss) will check out the Show If they didn't already. CHECK IT OUT ITS A MUST SEE

The BEST New Series of 2007

Author: Ryan McLelland from Ewing, New Jersey
24 October 2007

I came over to this show from The Loop - one of the best Fox shows of the Y2K era that was dumped on the public this summer and never to be seen again. That show starred Bret Harrison as Sam - the youngest exec at an airline.

Bret was the MAN on The Loop so of course I followed him over to Reaper where he plays another character named Sam but this one's a college dropout who works at a Home Depot clone. Sam turns 21 and suddenly he finds out that his parents has sold his soul to The Devil many, many years ago. The Devil (Ray Wise) comes to collect by making Sam become the 'devil's bounty hunter' by re-reaping souls that have escaped from Hell and now are killing people back on Earth. It's really a win-win...the devil gets his soul back and the town has less murders. Sam, however, thinks the situation ...well...SUCKS! The show is pure genius. It is set up like Smallville or Buffy where there's a 'monster of the week' to beat up but here it is always secondary to Sam just trying to live his life normally. He has two friends which are INCREDIBLE: Sock (Tyler Labine) who is the overweight, quick witted buddy that everyone prays they have in their life and Ben (Rick Gonzalez) who rounds out the trio and usually is the one who ends up getting hurt...quite hysterically. It's a show about GREAT FRIENDSHIP and this show has it...you really believe these guys are friends. The show is rounded out with super hottie Andi (Missy Peregrym) who likes Sam but isn't in 'the know' of what's up with him and is therefore blown off a lot and the BRILLIANT Ted (Donovan Stinson) who is the young arrogant jerkie boss who is more akin to be a young David Brent from the office - he wants to be cool...but he's the boss.

The show SHINES with Harrison and gives 'Devil' Ray Wise the biggest and best performance of his career. The man shines in every single scene he has on the show. You see him as he tries to help Sam and when he is angry that smile disappears in a moment and you truly believe that there is Satan behind Ray Wise's eyes.

A top notch cast, amazing scripts, great direction...I was sad to see The Loop get cancelled and now I wouldn't have it any other way. Reaper is brilliant and I only hope it lasts for many seasons to come.

Ryan McLelland Latino Review/Newsarama

Quickly becoming one of my favorite shows of all time

Author: jhanse29 from United States
4 October 2007

I read all of the premature reviews from the critics who just about all stated this was one of the best new shows of the season. I have never been a fan of The CW or WB/UPN for that matter and was extremely skeptical about tuning in. Man, glad I did. This show is so funny. I haven't laughed this hard watching TV in a long time. And I laugh a lot during The Office. Reaper is paced perfectly for the hour long format. I could never see this working as a sitcom. The interactions with the cast seems so real and natural. Sam and Socks chemistry is great as well as Sam and Satans. Everything clicks. Sure there might be some continuity issues but this show isn't made to be taken all that seriously. The plot all but says it shouldn't be taken seriously. This is a great show and is quickly climbing the ladder to become one of my all-time favorite shows. hopefully it can keep up it momentum. RECOMMEND THIS SHOW TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. Let's help in its ratings. It'd be a shame to see this show disappear.

Love it !

Author: MelissaP513 from United States
3 October 2007

It was a fluke that I seen a preview for this show, I was watching the only show I tune into the CW for and they showed a preview for it. I was happy I tuned in! First off, Tyler Labine (Sock} is the main reason I decided to check out the first episode and I was really happy with what I seen. It is such a great change to see a new show on television that has nothing to do with "reality" or superheroes {even though I like one or two of them} It is refreshing to watch a show where the idea hasn't been done to death, I think the originality is one of the major things I like about this show. There isn't much flaw to the show other than the network, The CW. I really hope this show becomes a hit because I would hate to see it canceled. This is a real diamond among a sea of coal.

Incredible show, my current favorite

Author: mockingbyrd1313 from United States
15 November 2007

"Reaper" is a brilliant show, not one episode has seemed flat (some have been better than others, but none have been bad at all) and it truly does have an ensemble cast. Sam (Bret Harrison) is terrific, "Sock" (Tyler Labine) has perfect comedic timing and steals most of the scenes he's in, Andi (Missy Peregrym) is a fantastic actress (and not to mention has a dazzlingly bright smile), the Devil (Ray Wise) is by far the best TV/film devil I've seen. Ben (Rick Gonzales) is not as good as the others, but still very funny.

The end of every episode is satisfying; I've found VERY few plot holes or flaws. The show is deep and complicated without being confusing, and every episode has several laugh-out-loud and edge-of-your-seat moments.

The concept of "Reaper" is very original, the script is flawless, the acting is phenomenal, the special effects are gorgeous, and it's the highlight of my Tuesday night.

A show worth keeping!

Author: Spindles from United Kingdom
4 November 2007

If you haven't checked out this show yet, then I suggest you do.

It's a fun, light-hearted take on the whole Faustian bargain. Falling somewhere between Shaun Of The Dead and Idle Hands it's a truly like-able series. It consistently juxtaposes believable characters with fantastic scenarios. Ray Wise definitely comes out on top with his take on The Devil, anyone who remembers him from Twin Peaks will see glimpses of Leland Palmer in there, albeit a bit more over the top.

Definitely a few plot points being dropped that suggest a deeper storyline ahead for Sam and his cronies. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

MAKE MORE QUICKER!!!!

Funny as Hell

Author: moviesmarts06 from United States
14 October 2007

The CW has really stepped up on there line-up of shows this season and this is an example. Sure, a kid who plays bounty hunter to the escapees from Hell, it doesn't sound funny. Its sounds like a... well, something deep and dark. And that's what you would expect, but don't. The show takes you out of the land of religion and plops you in sunny suburbia, with a guy who just can't get things right, and then finds out he has to work for the devil. That would suck. That's the appeal of an average college dropout battling hell with his friends at his side. That's where the real fun comes in: Sam has great friends. He has his bud Bert "Sock" Wysocki who is loyal and just goes with his friend's new gig. There's Ben, who is more of the brains of the outfit. And, of course, there's the girl, in this case, Andi. She works at the same Home Depot-like store with the guys and is going part-time to college. Oh, and she has no clue that Sam is in love with her. That's all pretty typical of a twenty-something TV comedy. But the fact that they throw in the Devil and his needs takes it from "Friends" to "Buffy" – real life is hell. But it can be funny too. This fall, don't miss "Reaper" on the CW.

nice to see ray wise...

Author: nab from United Kingdom
27 February 2008

...in a good role - best since Bob Roberts. the series is on ep 6ish in old blighty. Good mix of slacker humour, with enough mystery about the original Deal with the devil. Plenty of possibility for soul searching and moral issues - perhaps a bit predictable in places, but what isn't these days?

Cast is good, but main attraction is Mr Wise in a suitably slippery take on old nick. Not quite Dogma but shaping up fine.

worth