IMDb > "Cane" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Cane" More at IMDbPro »

Great New Show!

Author: benjamin-hannah from United States
25 September 2007

Plot: The story follows a large Cuban-American family who own and run a very successful rum and sugar business in Florida. The patriarch is trying to make sure his business is in good hands as he looks the three men who will carry on his tradition. However, the brothers all have a different approach as to how they should deal with rivalries inside and outside of the family.

What I liked: The cast all gave stellar performances! There weren't any gaps in plot or character development, so it was very easy to get drawn right in to the story.

What I disliked: Nothing!

Why it will/won't make it: This is more of a family drama, so it may draw in viewers who were not normally watching during these hours. This is a very well cast and scripted show, and I don't foresee it being received poorly. The only problem may be that it is on too late for the larger target audience. I hope that CBS doesn't cancel this great show like it did to Jericho (even though they are bringing it back for a short period). This show is really likely to get some awards! This is my surprise hit for 2007 (Ugly Betty was my surprise hit for 2006).

Final review: Watch while it's airing!

This Is Exceptional

Author: EntertainmentGuru from United States
26 July 2007

I recently watched the pilot episode and can't wait for more. Jimmy Smits and the supporting cast are sensational. They draw you in and give you the true feeling of how important family is. Just like the feeling you may have had the first time you saw the Godfather. With one big difference, this family runs a legal business. The pilot episode does a fantastic job of bringing you into the family's life and establishing each character. Then the drama starts to slowly build leading up to...I'll leave all you readers with just that.This will be another keeper for CBS. So make sure to check it out. I don't believe you will be disappointed.

Not Bad

Author: cwilson-46 from United States
26 September 2007

I went into this show with high expectations and trust me this show did not disappoint.

True, a lot like Dallas and Dynasty, but with Latinos and Sugar.

I just love the fact that there are a lot of minorities in this show, which is fantastic.

Looking forward to seeing the next episodes.

It's funny what money can do to people - even family members.

Sit down on Tuesday nights with the family and watch this thrilling drama - you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy

"Sugar is the new oil"

Author: trex132 from Netherlands
21 October 2007

I was excited about this show from the first time I read about it, and was afraid it wouldn't live up to my expectations. It has, and then some.

This is a throwback to the days of the great soaps of the 80s, Dallas or Dynasty. A big, rich family feuding with an equally rich rival family, with assorted romantic problems and family rivalries thrown in for good measure.

The acting is uniformly excellent, and all the performers are appealing. A real standout is Nestor Carbonell, who has got to be one of the sexiest men on television. It's also great to see Rita Moreno in a role worthy of her.

I read that this show is not doing well in the ratings, and I hope it survives to become an established hit. It's rare for me to get into a weekly show, and this one I make a point of watching. I haven't missed an episode yet, and I don't plan on it.

It Really Is An Excellent Show

Author: izzy_k77 from United States
27 November 2007

Cane is a great show, the storyline is interesting the acting is great the soundtrack is always ON KEY...and the characters reactions issues and slow decay or uprise is really true to life. My only little tidbit with the show would have to be its one of those series you really have to watch from episode one to really appreciate to just jump on the band wagon a few episodes in takes away from a lot of the drama. Although a lot of shows have e this same problem. LONG STORY short brush up on the episodes you've missed and start watching this show ASAP...I'm telling you there's some really good series out there these days; Heroes, Prison Break, 24, House the primetime television entourage is really doing it up with some quality shows and cane is no acception.

A brilliant fade out to episode #10

Author: mstcyr2 from Phoenix, AZ
1 December 2007

I think the fade out scene in episode #10 ("Time Away") with Alex Vega (Jimmy Smits) gazing into the Gulf wondering just how he got himself into his present situation, accompanied by the pulsating sound of "Outside" by Staind, is the single most captivating and meaningful scene that I have seen in television in recent years. CBS just has to stand by this show and accept the fact that it is simply too good to ever command a high ratings audience. In fact, CBS president Les Moonves ought to take Cane's less than stellar ratings as a compliment. This show is terrific.

Mark

Dallas for the new generation!

Author: Tom from Michigan, USA
26 September 2007

I watched all of Cane last night. Decent show, as for if I'm hooked - time will tell. Cane is kind of like what I expected: a Dallas like TV show... Cubans instead of Texians, Florida instead of Texas and Sugar instead of Oil. I kind of chuckled at some of the "Spanish speaking" moments - maybe I can learn Spanish watching this show lol. I think this show can appeal to a lot people regardless of background (white, black, Hispanic), hence you don't have to be Hispanic to enjoy this show. I think it does a good honor to the Hispanic culture and hard working freedom loving Cubans who live here in the United States after a long struggle to gain entry into this nation. (yes they join and serve in the US military too.) But back to my "Dallas" reference. This show is almost a mirror image of "Dallas," just things are different as I had mentioned. There's characters that fit each character in Dallas and there's a big mansion set in the tropics where everyone lives not out in the middle of dusty Texas. There's the old father who likes to ride horse back through the sugar fields as did Jock on the Southfork Ranch. Again, if you look close enough, you'll see these similarities :-) So thumbs up on Cane, but time will tell if I get hooked. I score a 9 out of 10, only because I'm not sure I'm hooked into watching every week just yet.

Awesome

Author: ztodaro from United States
25 September 2007

Watched the anticipated show and I thought it was wonderful. I think I am already hooked and I can't wait for next week's episode. Great job CBS, great show, great choice, excellent decision to put together this kind of show and run it. The colors are a little like those of CSI Miami very bright and colorful. Wonderful cast as well. It also reminds me a little of a movie called "A Walk in the Clouds" whose setting is in the Napa Valley of California. Another reminder is of the show Dynasty but with beautiful writing, heart and soul. I hope the same goes for this promising show called CANE.

Generally I do not watch network TV but there are now two shows that will bring me back to watching network TV. One of them is House and now CANE. Awesome show, just loved it.

I am truly rooting for the show to be a success, we need more entertainment like this on network TV instead of the typical "moron" shows.

Great Job!

Powerful drama

Author: dmclain-4 from United States
28 January 2008

In the day, there was Dallas, Dynasty, and Falcon Crest. Today, there is Cane, a drama set in the Florida everglades with sugar cane barons vying for power, money, and influence. Jimmy Smits plays Alex Vega, a strong and believable adopted son, who is committed to protecting his family and sustaining the family business. Hector Elizondo's portrays a proud Cuban patriarch who has lived the American dream, in spite of his vindictive neighbor, Joe Samuels, played by Ken Howard. Frank, played by Nestor Carbonell, is the son who has mixed loyalties. The women of Cane played by Rita Morena, Polly Walker, and Paola Turbay add interesting dimensions to the plot. Polly Walker as Ellis Samuels us caught between being Frank's girlfriend and Joe Samuels' daughter. Paola Turbay as Isabel Vega adds glamor and sex appeal. She is levelheaded is contrast to Alex's headstrong and impulsive behavior. These contrasts throughout the plot and strong character development, add depth and interest. This is a powerful and entertaining drama.

This is Latin Culture

Author: valenciaagv from United States
26 September 2007

I see that there is a big influence of the Mexican traditions in the USA, and that the American people do not know to much about other traditions from other Latin countries. Every Latin country has their own Music, Dances, Foods, Actors, Folklore, and Talents. I enjoyed to see acting the beautiful Colombian actress Paola Turbay, who has done an amazing career. I enjoyed listening Salsa from Puerto Rico and Cuba, I hope to listen also salsa from Cali Colombia. Cane is not only a show is the spirit of the Latin Countries. Great actors. Great Music, Great Job. Like Celia Cruz said, Azucar! It is really true: Cane is currently providing the best fuel solution to many Latin Countries like Brazil, natural and cheap.