IMDb > "CSI: NY" The Ride In (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"CSI: NY" The Ride In (2007)

« Prev | 64 of 197 Episodes | Next »

Can You Say 'Over The Top?'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
22 October 2007

In a season (the third) that is producing weird stories for the first time (most weeks, thus far) we get two outrageously-goofy stories. Get this: one guy named Noah has built an ark in his backyard and has four couples already living it in, prepared a new flood to occur any day. Noah is found shot to death in his home. He's covered with dollar bills. He turns out to be a guy with a long rap sheet but this particular "event" on the level; he wasn't scamming people. So who killed him?

The second case has a man dressed as a cigarette. He died after someone set him on fire in his outfit. He was a fanatical anti-cigarette protester and evidence in his death leads, naturally, to the footsteps of a cigarette maker. That's what we are led to believe until it's discovered that the man really worked for the tobacco company. In a round-about way, he was supposed to be helping them promote a new, safer cigarette. I have to snicker at all the anti-smoking comments in here, although I agree with them. Suddenly, after all these years, Hollywood has finally started to stop glamorizing smoking. It took them long enough - about four decades!. (Actually, some of the "good guys" still smoke in feature films but their numbers are rapidly dwindling.)

Also, Stella finally tells Mac about her situation with the cut and the possible HIV infection. At least Mac asked the question I would asked: "Why haven't said something?" She replied she thought she could handle it on her own, but admits this failing in that regard. "I'm here for you," Mac replies in a real cliché moment. Melina Kankaredes is a somewhat hard-looking, tough-talking woman at times, yet very vulnerable at others. It's like she can't decide (or her character "Stella") what she wants to me. I have found the same with Marg Helgenberg on the original CSI series.

If that's not enough, "Sid," the odd medical examiner, passes out cold and Stella saves his life. He turns out to be just fine, just an allergic reaction to something he ate..

I still prefer more straight crime stories, the kind this show featured in the first two years. I don't need all this weirdness to be entertained, but apparently the writers think their audience does. Now it's like they are competing the Las Vegas show with a "can-you-top- this?" contest to see who can come up with the most far-out stories. Well, this episode is almost beyond description.

If you still think I'm exaggerating, one of the killers was a guy dressed in a Dracula outfit!

Do your research!

Author: doggyfeb18 from United States
4 March 2009

This whole plot line is ridiculous. Clearly they didn't do the research on this one. They claim that the reason these people gave their money to Noah for this ark is because they are so religious. BUT anyone who is that religious would know the whole story, which ends with G-d promising Noah that He would never flood the earth to kill humanity again by creating the rainbow. SO anyone religious enough to believe him would not have bought the story, and Noah wouldn't believe it either. I understand that he is meant to be crazy, but religious fanatics believe the bible to be literal and would not buy this story. If you want to go with a biblical plot line, read the whole story, not just the first part.