IMDb > "The Life & Times of Tim" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Life & Times of Tim"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Life & Times of Tim" More at IMDbPro »

The Best New Show on TV

Author: AnnaKarenin from United States
2 November 2008

I know that cartoons aimed towards adults generally don't get the attention they deserve, because they get written off as childish or don't capture interests as quickly as attractive/famous real-life characters can. But PLEASE, give this show a chance! I promise that just one episode of this show will have you hooked. I haven't laughed out loud this much since arrested development (R.I.P.) and the humor is similarly fast paced and, at times, absurd. The show is a half hour long, divided into two 15 minute episodes, which makes the show very watchable even for people who don't think they can devote an entire 30 minutes to a cartoon.

Everything about this show is hilarious--the scenarios, the dry dialogue, the buildup to inevitable madness, and the horribly drawn but wonderfully fleshed-out characters. The show follows Tim, who is frequently caught in admittedly outlandish situations, although they always seem to spiral out of control so realistically. He and the supporting cast of characters all have their own stand out performances, including Debbie the friend/hooker and Amy the girlfriend, who is perpetually disappointed in her well-meaning but just plain awful boyfriend. So before you write it off simply because it's an adult cartoon, watch just ONE episode. Hell, even watch one half of an episode. That's 15 minutes of your time that will quickly lead to you watching every episode, I promise.

Fantastic new animation - An unseen gem - one watch and you're hooked!

Author: Jay Hunter (jaykhunter) from Ireland
20 November 2008

The Life and Times of Tim features just that; the day-to-day life of an ordinary 25 year old New Yorker, trying to talk his way out of horribly embarrassing situations. Tim really has the worst luck, and his dry, dead-pan excuses are the centre piece of this show.

I urge you to watch just one story (there are two per episode) as you'll be hooked. The writing is very good. It's a little surreal how things could go so badly but it lends to hilarious situations and dialogue.

Give it a chance, like Arrested Development, it won't be appreciated en masse during it's run.

With so many animations that are faltering in great humour (I rarely laugh out loud the Simpsons, Family Guy or American Dad any more - South Park still does the business from time to time) This show had me laughing really hard a few times per episode.

I've gotten everyone I've shown "Tim" to into the show, which is actually saying a lot. I really hope it gets a second season at least.

Enjoy watching!

Absolutely brilliant!!

Author: waltschick from United States
19 March 2011

The only reason I even signed up and got a user profile on IMDb was so I could spread the word about this show. It is truly one of the funniest and most entertaining shows I've ever seen. WATCH IT!! Not only is it extremely funny, but the story line sucks you in. Each show consists of two fifteen minute segments and within a 30 seconds, the story completely draws you in. My wife said that the show is akin to an animated version of Curb Your Enthusiasm and she's right! The voices fit the characters perfectly and each charter is developed in a very believable way. I can't recommend this show enough!! Check it out! As far as animated shows, it blows South Park and Family Guy out of the water.

One of the Best (Adult) Animated Shows Out There

Author: erin s. from Seattle, Washington
27 April 2010

"The Life & Times of Tim," created by Steve Dildarian, is another show about a twenty-something New Yorker working at a monolithic corporation and just trying to get by without totally embarrassing himself.

Except this show is totally hilarious.

"Tim" is sort of like an animated version of those "The Most Awkward Boy in the World" comedy sketches (starring Zach Woods, now of "The Office" fame)... somehow, no matter what Tim does (or doesn't do), it's gonna get pretty uncomfortable. And rip-roaringly funny. Just in the first season Tim somehow gets cornered into fighting an old man, and taking his boss's daughter to her senior prom.

Watch this show.

The animation is a little... simple, like something you might come across on Newgrounds, but don't let that dissuade you. This is a cartoon in which the characters wear different outfits (but still have a consistent wardrobe/style), and one that has many little background details never mentioned, but that are sincerely pause-worthy, such as little posters and reminders hung up on the cubicles at Tim's work, or a sign on the wall of an AA meeting - a picture of a person "losing their lunch" in a toilet, with the caption, "You Need Help." There is also continuity between episodes, recurring characters, notable guest stars (Tony Hale, Trevor Moore, Lizzy Caplan, Cheri Oteri, Jeff Garlin, Bob Saget...), references to Wes Anderson and "Felicity," and many, many hilarious jokes.

"Tim" could be criticized for its use of vulgar situations (and language), but none of it is used gratuitously, or without creativity and originality. Vulgar? Yes. Tasteless, lewd, or uncouth? Hell no. A prime example is an alcoholic priest, a recurring character, and in the age of parish sex scandals, a skewed version of a new kind of archetype. Yet "Tim" does not use this character as a chance for a cheap shot at religious institutions. No, the priest's "wild" antics instead just lead to more opportunities for Tim to have to deal with awkwardness and embarrassment - and that's what the show is about.

Watch "The Life & Times of Tim" or else live with the knowledge that you're missing out on something wonderful.

Each thirty-minute episode consists of two fifteen-minute segments.

The second season, currently airing on HBO, has a snazzy new opening-sequence, but is not lacking in any of the goodness mentioned above.

I Warmed Up to It

Author: steven-brumley from Oklahoma City, OK.
15 December 2008

I like the show.

It's humor is dry but that kind of humor matches my own.

It took a couple of episodes for me to get warmed up to it, but after that I really like it. I think it is my new favorite show.

The problem is, nobody that I know of has heard of the show. So, HBO needs to find someway to get the word out.

I am surprised that there is not more action on IMDb about the show. That goes back to the problem of letting people know that it exists. I think I am going to have to find out what the ratings are on the show. It would be interesting to find out.

Awkward Funny

Author: mailliwkooh from SC, USA
10 March 2010

This show is different, thats for sure. It lacks the slap stick humor your used to when watching a cartoon. And you have to actually watch the show to understand it. Typical cartoons jump from scene to scene without really relating to one another. Don't turn it on in the middle of the show and expect to enjoy it like you would a Family Guy because you will have no idea what Tim is talking about. Its on HBO and it is only 30 min long with two 15 min sketches, so it's easy to miss a lot. So do yourself a favor and watch it from the start.

Tim always seems to find himself in awkward scenarios. Usually because he puts his foot in his mouth. He has good intentions and is a smart guy but is always surrounded by stupid people who misinterpret him.

Don't expect too much from this show visually. The art looks like it came straight out of a comic strip. I won't say this show is for smart people, but it definitely calls for a different type of sense of humor. It's no Simpsons, but it's not trying to be.

"I'm not the back door guy."

Author: Jim Goad from United Kingdom
29 April 2012

3 series & still nobody has ever heard of The Life & Times of Tim. It's not even released on DVD in the UK. If you want it you'll have to get it on import.

The humour is similar to Curb Your Enthusiasm with Tim getting into difficult situations (not always his fault) and then making them worse as each episode progresses. It's dry & understated, even when the situations become crazy. The characters are all brilliant, even minor ones such as Helen, Debbie or Stu's Dad. Tim's friends Rodney & Stu are idiots who invariably land him in trouble while keeping out of it themselves.

If you like adult cartoons, check it out.

Funny show

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
11 April 2011

Except this show is totally hilarious.

"Tim" is sort of like an animated version of those "The Most Awkward Boy in the World" comedy sketches (starring Zach Woods, now of "The Office" fame)... somehow, no matter what Tim does (or doesn't do), it's gonna get pretty uncomfortable. And incredibly funny. Just in the first season Tim somehow gets cornered into fighting an old man, and taking his boss's daughter to her senior prom.

"Tim" could be criticized for its use of vulgar situations (and language), but none of it is used gratuitously, or without creativity and originality. Vulgar? Yes. Tasteless, lewd, or uncouth? Hell no. A prime example is an alcoholic priest, a recurring character, and in the age of parish sex scandals, a skewed version of a new kind of archetype. Yet "Tim" does not use this character as a chance for a cheap shot at religious institutions. No, the priest's "wild" antics instead just lead to more opportunities for Tim to have to deal with awkwardness and embarrassment - what the show is about.

I haven't laughed so hard at a Show for a while.

Author: Mike Keski from Australia
12 June 2013

So in Australia SBS is the channel with weird-as sit on late at night, IE; A cartoon about a lady bus-driver who sucks every passengers...yeah.

Anyway I was bored, it was 11:30 at night, and this show came on, I watched from the beginning, the show looked shaky at best, less than a minute in I was chuckling, it then turned into non-stop laughs for me, by the time I had recovered from one hilarious section, another hit me, I couldn't stop laughing, it was hilarious, the combination of terrible situations combined with dry humor/sarcasm at the ridiculousness of the situation makes this a great combination. It's like when your friend crashes his car, get's out and says "Well this is good."

10/10 Very dry, very original, very funny.

Underrated comedy; Hilarious

Author: Swegin from Canada
7 April 2012

'The Life & Times of Tim' is an original, excruciatingly funny and all-round well executed show, not to mention painfully overlooked. Created, written, directed by and starring Steve Dildarian as the voice of Tim, the series explores the trials and tribulations of a soft-spoken young man named Tim, who lives in a New York apartment with his girlfriend Amy and works an office job for a company called OmniCorp. Tim continually finds himself in extremely awkward social situations, most of the time against his will and of no wrong doing on his part.

The writing is fresh and the dialogue comes off very natural, the comedic timing and chemistry between characters is pitch perfect, the animation is simple but subtle and charming, the swearing/vulgarity is used thoughtfully and is never excessive (though later seasons are more heavy on the profanity, merely an observation, not a complaint), there are so many well-developed secondary characters such as The Boss, Stu, Rodney, Stan, Marie, Helen and The Priest, who have their own unique traits and quirks that make themselves memorable and play off of Tim so well, not to mention the numerable guest appearances including Bob Odenkirk, Aziz Ansari, Alfred Molina, Bob Saget, Jeff Garlin, JK Simmons, Elliott Gould, Philip Baker Hall, Tim Meadows, Fred Williard, Rob Heubel, Will Forte, Lizzy Caplan, Bob Einstein and many more.

'Tim' ranks for me among the best comedies, such as Peep Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Party Down, South Park, Arrested Development, The Office UK/Extras, Louie etc and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys these types of shows.

It's true that this type of humour is not for everyone (the best humour never is); it's dry, awkward and inappropriate but if you 'get' this then it is just non-stop hilarity for the whole episode, laughing until it hurts. HBO has something special here and I really hope they hang on to this gem. I cannot recommend this show enough.

Two month-later edit: So yeah, of course HBO cancelled it, again. RIP 'The Life & Times of Tim', here's to hoping it comes back in some form or another.