IMDb > "Kath & Kim" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Kath & Kim"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Kath & Kim" More at IMDbPro »

Very Enjoyable

Author: darce80 from Eugene, OR
14 November 2008

I really like this show. I have never seen the Australian version, so maybe that is why I enjoy it, since people seem to be saying it was better. But I think it is hilarious and I even like to watch each episode more the once. The four main characters are great, and I find myself laughing out loud several times. It is just very entertaining, pure and simple. Several of my friends who don't watch it say "it just looks stupid" but they are so wrong. It is very smart, and maybe the characters are supposed to be portrayed as sort of stupid, but the humor is certainly not stupid. Molly Shannon and Selma Blair have great chemistry together, and Shannon and John Michael Higgins are perfect together. Do yourself a favor and give this show a chance, it is great!

It isn't as good as it was made out to be.

Author: joisepeterson from Australia
13 October 2008

I watched the first episode and I found it to be a very wooden performance.

I have watched the original from it's early days on Big Girls Blouse to the last series on Channel seven. Kath and Kim was a great Mocumentary and it's humor is something that most people get.

However in this American version I found it to be dull, Molly Shannon is to fashionable to be Kath Day, Kath's wardrobe is supposed to be stuck in the 80s with her frizzy perm. While Selma Blair's figure hugging clothes isn't as good as what the original Kimmy wore. I also found that Selma seemed to be puffing her belly out a lot, she is obviously a (Australian) size 12 where Kim should be (Australian) a size 16/18.

The exchanges from Molly and Selma is obviously so scripted and there is pauses where there shouldn't be pauses or the pauses are a bit long, as someone suggested there could be a laughter track in there during those pauses. It's like Molly and Shannon are not used to each other, there is no Mother/Daughter chemistry.

Phil was okay he had the eccentric air around him like Kel. However Craig was to handsome and not the sweet plain humble Brett from the Aussie version.

I found watching this was like watching a very bad stage play. The acting was pretty much wooden and the exaggeration of Selma's expressions wore the funny off after ten minutes. Especially her sulking scenes.

To sum up, I find this show to be a waste of time, the script obviously has been dumbed down for Americans which most on the board say they prefer the original. If NBC wanted to show Kath and Kim why not pay the producers the money to screen the original.

All I can add is Magda you are one smart cookie for not letting the producers use your character of Sharon.

Absolute Rubbish! Watch the original Aussie version

Author: pdjmcphail from London, England
22 October 2008

The original Australian Kath & Kim is brilliant. Why do American producers need to remake & ruin yet another classic show? Remember the original version of "The Office" with Ricky Gervais, It was an absolute masterpiece, and there was no need to remake it. The producers said that the British humour from "The Office" and the Australian humour from "Kath & Kim" would not translate to an American audience......... WHAT??? So basically they are saying that Americans are too dumb and stupid to understand the jokes, so they need to remake the shows with over-the-top childish gags, so that the Americans can understand the humour. The original Australian version of Kath & Kim is fantastic and very funny. Avoid the American version like the plague!!

abysmal

Author: hgg17 from United Kingdom
13 May 2013

being a die hard fan of the original Kath and Kim series I was curious, but shortly after literally disgusted at this attempt at a successful remake.

apparently the American producers wanted to remake it so that the audience of the USA could understand the 'Australian humour'. Not only does this make 'humour' sound like a cryptic code unless it's one liners thrown at canned laughter, it's not even difficult to understand the gags and humour of the original. I'm a British viewer, and enjoyed the original all the same. The only references made to the country really are Australian actors, actresses, athletes etc.

All of the original jokes, gags, recurring quotes from the original are either scarce or retold so badly through disgraceful delivery it didn't make a difference. The characters played off of one another in the original. The contrast between Kath and Kim was what made it so believable; they seemed like a true mother and daughter. Their petty bickering never got old. This isn't even evident here, as the actress who plays Kim's delivery is so poor and as dull as dishwater she sucks all the life out of the original, selfish Kim.

I'm not sure if this was an attempt at the USA version putting it's own twist on Kim, either way it was a diabolical choice. The acting from Kim was just dull and uninviting. Kath was slightly improved on this, but it doesn't work if the woman reacting from her insults and lines has the personality of a bit of dry wall.

I got through the first two episodes without seeing Sharon, checked the IMDb cast list and saw there was no Sharon. No. Sharon. Really? Her constant loyalty to Kim and Kim's brutishness to her was a key point of humour in the original.

The USA version is too polished - it's not the semi-shaky mockumetary style camera used in the original to present a seemingly funnily real family. It's over done, too false and glamorous.

I could honestly go on for hours, but I'll limit myself. The USA version is just a diluted, lifeless and just poor attempt at a remake. Original gags are scarce. Anything that even slightly resembled the humour of the first one is gone.

Just watch the original - Words can't explain how better it is. Me, my sister and mum all bond over the shows humour, it's funny, real, and just enjoyable. All of which doesn't exist in the new version. It's impossible not to compare them, but apparently American audiences want nothing more than lifeless one liners and be told when to laugh.

k&k USA: 1/10 - awful.

reasons: poor delivery and acting, humour diluted to an extent it's boring, lifeless jokes, lacks the character of the original. basically everything is wrong with it.

Watered-down version of the Aussie original, but worth a look

Author: Gmtnkt from United States
1 August 2009

I am a huge fan of the Aussie version of 'Kath & Kim', so I was a bit worried about how an American copy would turn out. And, true to form,they missed a lot of what made the original , well, original. A little too studied, not as fresh. I imagine that the 'thought police' were out in full force- where is the smoking, for a start? But I gave it a chance and it is not as bad as I expected. Molly Shannon is pretty good as Kath, but Selma Blair is not quite right for Kim. She has the languid behavior down, but not the utter selfishness, nor the weight issues. Teeny Selma missed the point. I got the feeling I was seeing 'acting', rather than real people behaving normally. Perhaps a bit of the old Hollywood-style elitism? That those who live in the suburbs are to be ridiculed rather than appreciated for their own style? We are meant to laugh at them and not with them. Part of the charm of the original, for Americans, are all the Aussie idioms, and I would have liked to see a bit more of that type of dialogue in the American version- we have our own quirks, too! Also, in the original, part of the fun was that the two were almost the same age. Selma Blair was too much the juvenile, age-wise. It took a while but I did warm up to this version on its own merit. The basic idea is still there. When you have to expand the season into so many more shows the writing seems to suffer. A shorter season usually means better shows. But,I would love to have a beer with the Aussie characters, odd though they are- just to see what they would come up with next-the Americans didn't come across as interesting or as compelling. A little too politically correct? Here's a radical idea- how about bringing American audiences the Aussie show?

Kath and Kim it's a funny show and it has huge potential

Author: trathmell from Australia
20 December 2008

American viewers need to think outside the square. I enjoy both versions of this show. The Amercan Version is a little watered down compared to the Australian one. (I have been enjoying watching it on the web). Do TV viewers really want more of the same? An alternative comedy on TV is great. All the actors are funny and I have laughed a lot during all episodes. JUST WATCH THIS SHOW ON ITS OWN MERITS AND DON'T JUDGE IT AGAINST OTHER TV SHOWS. This is the key - once you have done this and have given Kath and Kim a chance you will really enjoy watching it!

It's OK to laugh and oneself. You guys have The Simpsons what's the difference? I hope that this show continues to develop and I would love to see Molly and Selma do Prude and Trude.

From someone who hasn't seen the original

Author: dvo1919 from United States
23 October 2008

I have never seen the original version, but when I heard this was a remake, I just had to check out IMDb because I knew there would be the moans of many claiming "the original was better" (the same kind of people who in 1939 said "the book was better" in regards to Gone With The Wind).

I'm sure the original IS better, if not just from the fact that the original is just that: the original. Any kind of reproduction or spin off must be compared to the original as the "true" version.

That being said, I completely understand the disappointment this new version may be to anyone who has seen the old one.

I, however, thought this show has great potential. Again, I'm just going off the 2 episodes I've seen, but there is definitely something there. I kept being reminded of one of my other favorite shows, "Strangers With Candy". Not to say this is nearly as good as SWC, this show does demonstrate some brief moments of wonderfully brilliant sophisticated absurdity.

Although, maybe I just have low standards. Take a look at other network shows on. They're awful. I mean really. I guess I'll just take anything watchable I can...

OK, but not as good as the Aussie version.

Author: Dan-I-am from Australia
12 October 2008

Me being from Australia and loving the series, I wasn't expecting much from the American version of Kath and Kim but I thought I'd watch the first episode to see if it was really that bad.

Well,whats there to say. Its nothing special.Selma Blair is OK as Kim and actually had a few good lines, Molly Shannon is not a good Kath though. The good thing about Jane Turner's Kath is that when she speaks with all her funny accents (such as when she says Yumor or Noice) it sounds like its just the natural way that she speaks, but when Shannon has a go at the accent, its clear that she is acting and trying to be the same as Turner. And the show really misses Sharon or some one else to give us something to laugh about, because the Kal and Craig characters in this version are really not funny.

So far only the first episode has aired and it is clearly not up to the standards of the Aussie version, although if it was a stand alone television show with a different name, not being compared to the Aussie version it would perhaps be viewed as being a little bit better. But if there is nothing else to do on a Sunday night (or Thursday night in America) then you cant do much harm in watching it, or better put on some of the Aussie version if you've got it.

Who writes this stuff?

Author: Aisha Clarke from United States
25 June 2013

On one of the episodes the man ask the daughter when she got married what she does. Her respond was "I'm a trophy wife". What in the world is she talking about? And who in real life call themselves that? Who writes these movies. I'm sorry but she sure isn't a "trophy". Why can't someone who's the real "trophy wife" call themselves that. She never seems happy, and it isn't like she's overly attractive or anything. She's just normal. They all say she's hot. People consider all 20 years old hot. And why does people want to be a trophy? Do you know what a trophy is? It when someone's see you as an sex object. Why would you want to be a sex object? This is the lamest movie I ever seen.

Is this supposed to be funny?

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
1 November 2009

I have not watched the Australian original, but I'm thinking it's a safe bet to say that it was superior to this. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's hyperbole to nominate this for the worst comedy show on TV. The 18 moronic episodes(of the bunch, there is maybe one brief moment that started to redeem the rest, that's it) are all so bland that once you've seen one, you've seen them all. Almost every character is intolerable, one-note(they came up with just a couple of types, then repeated them ad nauseum), shallow and stupid to the point where it causes physical pain for the viewer and those in the immediate vicinity. Many of them mispronounce words and sayings, and care first and foremost about fashion and celebrities. Oh, and they're trashy. Did you get all that? That's all of the material. I'm not kidding, nearly every joke is about that. By far the worst is Blair, who's the most developed, meaning, she has more negative qualities than the others. She's an irresponsible brat who causes problems for others. Isn't that hilarious? The acting is good. So's editing and cinematography. Meanwhile, the content is still terrible and repetitive. The one positive about this series would have to be that you can usually count on the two female leads(Selma in particular) parading around in skimpy outfits, looking hot. Finally, can someone tell me how John Michael Higgins keeps finding work? OK, he was great in Best in Show, I'll grant that. But that's the only time he's gotten even a chuckle out of me. Is it just that this humor is not for me? I recommend this to anyone who finds what I've described appealing. For anyone else, don't say I didn't warn you. 5/10