IMDb > "Journeyman" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Journeyman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Journeyman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Incredibly Awesome Series

Author: fyrmedic-1 from United States
30 November 2007

Thank goodness for my DVR. After having recorded the first 10 episodes of Journeyman, I thought I better take the time to check this series out. I loved the series Quantum Leap and was eagerly anticipating Journeyman. I was not disappointed. I watched the first five episodes back to back. I couldn't turn the television off. I took a few days off and then watched the remaining episodes. Again, I'm really enjoying this series and can't wait to see the episode on December 13th. The story lines are wonderfully thought out and the acting is superb. If you've read any other comments that speak unfavorably about the comparisons between Journeyman and Quantum Leap (two totally different plots), Kevin McKidd's accent (I detected none...but I am not a linguist by profession!), or a perceived notion the successive episodes do not relate to each other (they absolutely do tie in together), please take them with a grain of salt. Each episode keeps me at the edge of my with the anticipation of what's going to happen next. I urge everybody to give Journeyman a chance.

The details elevate this show to greatness, and beyond.

Author: Cimta-1 from United States
6 November 2007

Journeyman is a prime example of a creative show that builds upon ideas and concepts that were established by shows before it. It is a show that feels polished, and holds a unique style to it. The concept of time travel is realistically portrayed, while the the periods in time are very accurately depicted (including many subtleties which add to the nostalgia). Everything just fits; the acting is superb, and the music is spot on. Every week this show manages to captivate me, and I really hope it sticks around. Overall, Journeyman is a fresh, modern take on the time travel genre as a whole. Anyone who is still reading this review should really go watch this show instead.

Truly a gem

Author: eclectro from Salt Lake City
22 November 2007

I do not enjoy shows about time travel, as it seems to be an overworked plot device. But the show has skillfully done away with any preconceptions that may exist about time travel and is exploring new dynamics that I have not seen before. All the acting is superb. This show is better than Heroes this season, and those who say differently have not been watching Journeyman. If there was ever a reason to give a show another chance, this would be it. After a few episodes of watching it because it happened to follow Heroes, I suddenly realized that this was my favorite show on TV. This is definitely "appointment TV" for me. People really need to give this one a chance.

Rip-off isn't just harsh ... it's untrue

Author: oakyo4117 from United States
17 December 2007

Everyone was up in arms when the show started about what a rip-off it was of The Time Traveler's Wife (and yes, I read it, and yes, I loved it)--but the fact is, the only thing it has in common with the book is that it's about a dude who travels, and, oh, his wife happens to know about it. The similarities pretty much end there, and as the show continues, it has taken on a fabulous life of its own.

(Honestly, will every time travel tale hereafter be compared to TTW, if it happens to include a traveler who can actually make other people believe that's what's happening? It's like comparing Moonlight to Buffy just because they both had a scene where the woman allowed the vampire to drink from them. There are so many sci-fi tales that can be interpreted in so many different ways; there's no need to compare everything.)

AND YES, it is fabulous. The characters are well-drawn and interesting and complex; the writers are doing a wonderful job with continuity (hello, $20 bill!); and there's a new mystery introduced with each episode. But, as happens with most of the better shows that are undiscovered gems, word on the street is that an axing is in the near future. But of course. Why waste time nurturing it when there's a plethora of reality TV to be scheduled?

Best New Show of the Season!

Author: juanita from Worcester, MA
21 October 2007

What sets this series apart from other time travel shows like Quantum Leap, is that it actually takes a serious look at how being tossed around in time would effect a person's life and relationships. This show also takes a more realistic view of marriage than most. You have two people totally devoted to one another, but it's still hard, especially when the totally unexpected enters into the mix. The real center of this show isn't time travel, but relationships. Each one of Dan's assignments has dealt with the central theme of broken relationships and how they affect the bigger picture; which is exactly the situation that Dan is dealing with in his own life. This show truly stands out from just about anything I've seen before. I hope that NBC knows what it has and decides to invest in it. I think it's a classic already.

I just CAN'T believe this show is to be cancelled

Author: Greg75 from Paris, France
26 January 2008

Watching this series from a European point of view probably doesn't differ much from an American one, but, even though I've been a series buff for quite some time now, I've seen the 13 episodes in a row and have NEVER been that excited for a very long time. The potential of "Journeyman" is so rich and dense that the first season only explores an infinitesimal proportion of it. That's what differs from many shows, which stand out on their first episodes, but then keep on somewhat repeat themselves. Here, the multiple layers (Livia's point of view, scientific point of view, time travel paradoxes) add up to a totally unpredictable show, at the same time totally down-to-earth and philosophically challenged. And I love the fact that it never relies on the Sci-Fi usual excuses to make the audience believe in what's going on.

Sure there are some minor flaws, like the fact that no one (except Zack) ever sees Dan ACTUALLY disappear or appear (not very believable IMHO), but otherwise the whole show is fantastic, and this is going to be HUGE when it comes to Europe.

I can't believe it probably won't be renewed for a 2nd season & more. The ratings are important, sure, but the blooming cult following this first season would increase with a further development of the show. Characters and cast are just totally great So, people at NBC, give yourselves a little more time before definitely calling it quits. PLEASE DON'T CANCEL JOURNEYMAN ! This was my plea to the NBC execs from Paris France, on a nice Saturday afternoon. (and please forgive my English mistakes, don't worry I understood the show perfectly well :)

NBC's best show.

Author: chris_finnerty from Toronto, Canada
20 December 2007

Without a doubt, the best show on on the big 3. Hopefully NBC can overcome it's recent history of myopic behavior and give this show a chance to catch, something they didn't do for Studio 60.

I recently was telling a friend that I've never seen a show that was cast so perfectly. I had to check on IMDb just to see if the actors that play the characters Dan and Jack Vassar were brothers in real life. The cast is outstanding, the writing is intelligent and compelling. Very rarely do I get excited about watching a show, but I truly look forward to every episode, and the show keeps getting better and better!

I just read on a forum that NBC has yet to resign the series... I hope they get their act together as I am quite honestly disheartened right now :( If you haven't seen the show you're missing out on something great!

A show with potential were it not cancelled so soon

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
13 March 2008

'Journeyman' is one of those shows which was slow to start but did eventually find its feet and deliver an interesting idea that posed many possible stories to explore. As it was, morons at NBC (the American television company which produced it) decided to cut short the endless possibilities that the show never had the chance to portrayed by cancelling it after the first season. Yet another potentially good show cancelled to, no doubt, make way for more rubbish reality shows which seem to be endlessly churned out these days.

The show revolved around Dan Vasser, a journalist who lives with his loving wife Katie and their young son Zack. He lives a busy but normal life until the day when he steps into a taxi and ends up suddenly finding himself back in time, circa the 1960s. As the show progresses we learn that Dan has the ability to jump back and forward in time, with the goal of altering events for the better. He is guided slightly by Livia, his thought-to-be dead former girlfriend who he finds out faked her death because she too has time travelling abilities.

Initially, it was hard to like anyone but Dan and Livia. While these two came across as fairly likable characters who carry the show well, Katie Vasser came across as a nagging irritation who seemed to think preserving her precious normality was more important than saving people's lives while Dan's cop brother Jack was depicted to be bitter and childish to allow his jealousies to cloud his realisation that there was something else going on with Dan rather than believing him to be unhinged. However, towards the end of the season, Katie and Jack were fleshed out and became easier to relate to as they accepted Dan's abilities.

'Journeyman' walked a fine line between being a time travelling sci-fi show, the 2007 version of 'Quantum Leap', and being a drama that portrayed the difficulties in maintaining a normal family life in the face of a troublesome, hectic 'job'. It would have been interesting to see how Dan and Katie preserved their life as the years passed or even how their son coped if he found out the full truth when he was older. The show also dealt with interesting story lines such as Dan accidentally changing his own future so that he had a daughter instead of a son, leaving him with painful dilemma of having to erase her to get his son back.

As I said, this show had much potential and could have explored many issues if it had the chance. It certainly deserved more than one season to prove itself and to build a fanbase. Here's hoping someone with sense at NBC will reconsider and give 'Journeyman' that chance.

A very enjoyable show to watch !

Author: derek_t_robertson from Hamilton, Scotland
8 January 2008

This show has not really been advertised in the U.K. very well by the TV company showing it but after seeing the first episode, I found it very quickly became additive to watch. The different characters story lines have got very good twist and turns in the episodes, making me trying to guess what was going to happen next. As I watched each episode, I found that actions happening made me think back to other episodes and then saw the connections to that action. Hats of to the writers as they continue to write great story lines, and create edge of the seat watching. It will be a great shame if the show is cancelled as I am looking forward to seeing more episodes of this great show.

It will be Missed!!!

Author: ayaa1977 from Saudi Arabia
26 December 2007

Let me start with this statement: I LOVE THE SHOW!! It is one of the best of this year, and this year featured quite excellent shows, Pushing Daisies, Aliens in America, Chuck, Reaper, and Gossip Girl, to name a few. Alas the rating system failed the show and the plug is almost pulled off that show. However the show is amazing and it can be considered as a mini series, an excellent one.

I want to mention the acting, it was good across the board even though the stars of the show aren't exactly household names. Kevin Mckidd as Dan did an excellent job, it seems that American networks can always rely on Brits to deliver. As for the two leading females Gretchen Egolf who plays the wife Katie, and the extremely beautiful Moon Bloodgood who plays Livia the past lover and fellow time travelers, they both fit right in. The other supporting characters and guest stars did a fairly good job. The show started formulaic, not that there is anything wrong with that, but as the episodes progressed, the show evolved and became much more interesting as the stakes became bigger, that started with episode 5 "The Legend of Dylan McCleen". The consequences and the fall out from that episode effected the outcome of the following episodes. Finally someone wrote that this is show is "Truly a Gem" and I can't agree more, it is a gem that will be missed come 2008.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]