IMDb > "Medium" The One Behind the Wheel (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Medium" The One Behind the Wheel (2007)

« Prev | 50 of 130 Episodes | Next »

One of My Favorite Episodes!

Author: Telyer5 from United States
6 March 2009

This is one of the best, I think, because it showcases the love and support Alison has within her family... especially from Joe, her husband.

The story has all sorts of twists and turns and the whole time you are just so hoping that things can get worked out so that Alison can get back to her family and so that the lady inhabiting the "real" Alison's body can find some peace, somehow.

Corinne Bailey Rae's song, "Just Like A Star" really adds to the emotion of the episode. The song on it's own is pretty amazing but it was absolutely the perfect choice and we hear it over and over again, each time making us feel the love that Joe has for his wife and family.

This episode shows us once again that the Beatles were right, All You Need Is Love.

Great setup, weak resolution

Author: el_monty_BCN from Barcelona, Spain
24 September 2008

"The One Behind the Wheel" (sounds unintentionally like a Friends episode! :-)) is a "high concept" episode which begins with an extraordinarily intriguing, yet simple, premise. It hooks you instantly right from the start. Allison wakes up and she is not Allison, she's someone else, and everybody has to do what they can to figure out a) how to get her back and b) what happened to the person who is inhabiting her. It was foreseeable that the episode would not be able to sustain the expectations created by its exceptional opening (as is the case with most high concept movies too), but what disappointed me is that in the end it resorted to the old, tired cliché of the surgery-to-make-someone-look-like-someone-else. I thought we were beyond that, not only because everyone knows it's impossible (It might seem contradictory that I point this out, the show being about a woman who can "see dead people", but suspension of disbelief is selective), but mainly because it has been used so many times, from Tales From the Crypt episodes to James Bond movies, that it's just stale. I wasn't expecting the ending to blow me away, but certainly something a bit fresher would have been more welcome. Anyway, if we give a 10 to first half and a 4 to the second, it still averages to be a pretty good episode.