IMDb > Source Code (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 58:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Excellent Thriller

Author: Frank Grauman from United States
20 March 2011

I have to agree with the previous reviewer. This is the best thriller I've seen in years.

Definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

The writing is outstanding. All four principal actors do well and Gyllenhaal, especially, carries the plot forward extremely well.

At the start, I feared a stock, predictable Hollywood thriller. But soon I found myself en wrapped in Gyllenhaal's puzzle-within-a puzzle.

At the end, the Industry audience for this screening erupted in spontaneous applause.

Duncan Jones is definitely a young director to watch.

If you like thrillers, go see this film!

Suspenseful thriller with a twist

Author: Lainey Melnick from Austin, TX
11 March 2011

I was very fortunate to be at the World Premiere at SXSW in Austin and attended the Q&A after with James Duncan, Vera Farmiga, Michelle Monaghan, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ben Ripley. The story line keeps you on the edge of your seat and adds in enough humor to make it a thoroughly enjoyable experience. There is amazing, subtle chemistry between Jake and Michelle which really is the star of the film, performances by all the actors are excellent. Beautiful cinematography that will make Chicago proud. The ending brings up more questions than answers, but it feels right, so that's OK with me. I am not a big sci-fi fan, but this film delivers on romance, suspense, mystery and thrills. Highly recommended.

Intellectual Thriller

Author: TourettesPersonal from Philippines
8 April 2011

My first glance, I thought it's gonna be an ordinary action movie. The guy will look for the bomber, He'll find the bomber, he wants to save the girl, Eventually he saves the girl. But the movie isn't like that. The movie ends up having mysteries with unpredictably smart revelations. It's not an action blockbuster cookie cutter. It's a unique kind of movie that intrigues the whole cinema and let us enjoy the ride in a new way.

"Source Code" is not a clichéd mediocre action blockbuster. The movie avoids being predictable and wants to be smart and mind-bending. Duncan Jones isn't the kind of director who cares about the action. By the way this is his first action movie but he's smart for not making super cool unrealistic action scenes. He cares about the story. The movie have many intriguing subplots that is not easy to figure out. The movie wanted to be as smart as possible.

The performances were great. Jake Gyllenhaal made the whole game exciting. Michelle Monaghan shows her role's innocence. Vera Farmiga is obviously good in here. Jeffery Wright is the best among the four. The rest of the filmmaking, Chris Bacon's music score sounds old fashion and I liked it. The effects isn't really that great but it doesn't matter. The script is indeed smart. The movie also has a heart.

"Source Code" is as good as "Limitless". Both of them had the same reason why is it good. It's smart, intriguing(I've said this word many times in this review), and indeed original. Most action movies these days wanted to be super cool and super loud. "Source Code" doesn't really have a big action but it's more fun, made more sense and it's super smart.

Superb!

Author: slevinnn from United Kingdom
2 April 2011

What a movie. The price is worth paying. This movie gets straight to the point. You know you see a lot of movies that waste so much time getting into a story. Not this film, virtually from the off, we are there, in the film. It's like there is no beginning, but a middle and an end. Obviously you guys know the storyline so I'll not waste time telling you what it is about, just go and see it. It is a film that keeps you looking, you actually feel like you are 'in the source code' which is fantastic. The only downside to this film is that it feels short, it was 93 minutes but it simply flies by. Maybe that is a good thing? Shows how good this film was!

GO CHECK IT OUT!

Definitely a Sci-Fi film to remember

Author: darkraven_109 from Manila, Philippines
17 April 2011

The future of movies doesn't seem too bright since all we're getting are remakes, adaptations and unnecessary prequels/sequels and that's why original stuff like SOURCE CODE can really make my day.

Honestly, the trailers and initial premise didn't seem promising; some soldier can travel back in time and has to stop an some evil terrorist from bombing America. At first glance it looked more like some patriotic Steven Segal movie written by Tom Clancy with a higher budget and better actors. And then you watch it.

Like INCEPTION, this is one of the few movies that you can't spoil since even the smallest detail could accidentally reveal a twist or two. The story itself is a very original blend of thriller, sci-fi and drama and it works. Full of unseen twists and with a high octane pacing, SOURCE CODE will keep you wanting for more as each answer is slowly revealed. The script helps too but its the actors, who deliver the lines well, who drive the movie into emotional levels. My only problem with the film is some weak foreshadowing but it thankfully doesn't affect the movie in a bad way and to give any more details would spoil the film.

To keep it short and to avoid accidentally spoiling a plot detail or two, SOURCE CODE is a must watch. It's one of the few original films out there in a market full of crap and it's definitely worth your money. It's just a pity that Hollywood doesn't seem to be supporting these kinds of films.

An interesting premise with an excellent execution

Author: AKenjiB from United States
24 May 2011

I've been waiting for this movie for 2 years. I loved Duncan Jones' last film/debut Moon.

It was worth it.

Source Code is the best movie that I've seen so far this year. Source Code stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Captain Colter Stevens, a helicopter pilot for the U.S. Military. He wakes up on a train in the body of a man named Sean Fentress. Across from him is a woman named Christina played by the always wonderful Michelle Monaghan. After a few minutes of being confused as hell BOOM! We start out with a big CG building and it's like AUGGH! Then Helicopters burst into flames and they're like AUGH! BOOM! AUGH! Then motorcycles burst into flames while they jump over these helicopters. An 18 wheeler spins out of control and its all like BROSH! And this huge tanker full of dynamite is like BRAH! BRAHH!

In other words the train blew up.

Turns out that Colter Stevens is in a computer program called the Source Code which allows him to enter somebody's body for the last 8 minutes of his life. Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright play the people in charge of the Source Code. They are very good in their supporting roles. Stevens' job is quite simple: Find the bomber so the next attack can be prevented.

So some might argue that this movie isn't original, but they'd actually be kinda wrong. Yes, this movie features Groundhog's day formula and it's about terrorism. It's been compared to a crapload of movies including

■Groundhog Day ■Inception ■Déjà vu ■12 Monkeys ■Quantum Leap ■The Butterfly Effect ■Memento ■Avatar ■Assasin's Creed ■Vantage Point ■Unstoppable ■Prince of Persia: The sands of time ■Final Destination

I haven't seen all of these, but I've seen most of them. Let me say right now that Source Code is not that similar to any of those films. Source Code is great, intelligent, entertaining science fiction. There are many great things to say. First off, the acting is fantastic by everybody. Gyllenhaal is in this movie for nearly every frame and he's great in every scene. This is one of his best performances to date and he's had a lot of good performances. Michelle Monaghan has this innocent charm with her character. Vera Farmiga and the very underrated Jeffrey Wright give very interesting and complex performances as well. This film is a whodunit, and lately a lot of those have had rather obvious answers to who did it. The guilty person and/or persons in this movie is NOT obvious. Not at all. At least not to me. A film like this could have suffered from being repetitive since Gyllenhaal repeats the same 8 minutes over and over again, but each time is significantly different from the last so the film feels fresh throughout. The best thing about the movie though is the human story in it. It's really emotionally connecting especially around the end. Stevens was a very, very likable character who I wanted to succeed. The message is moving. The ending is fascinating. I think too many people are calling it off as a plot hole. Its clearly meant to be open to interpretation, kind of like Inception. Lots of people think that it should have ended 10 minutes earlier, but I thought it had a very strong ending. The movie clocks in at a mere 93 minutes, but every second is great.

Sure, a real life Source Code isn't a computer program, but I don't get why so many damn people are complaining about that. Another note is that the trailer is a tiny bit misleading. It makes it seem like the whole movie is about Gyllenhaal trying save Michelle Monaghan in a typical "save the girl" formula. It's not. The movie is about Gyllenhaal looking for the bomber and it's entertaining all the way through.

Sadly Source Code hasn't done good at the box office. It's too bad, because it deserves a LOT of money.

Source Code may not be quite as good as Moon, but it's damn close.

Absolutely Unnecessary Coda - Contains Spoilers

Author: Frank Dudley Berry, Jr. (fdber@yahoo.com) from Mountain View, Ca
4 April 2011

I happen to see this picture yesterday, with a friend of mine, and liked it quite a bit. But it illustrates an increasing problem with big budgeted movies. Spoilers follow.

The movie opens with the hero, an Army helicopter pilot, coming to consciousness on a Chicago commuter train. He's being addressed by a pretty girl as her boyfriend. He has various interactions with other passengers. He has no idea of what's going on. As he's trying to figure out who and where he is, a bomb detonates, killing everyone.

He finds himself back in a cell, something like a space capsule. He's informed that he's just been a part of a computer simulation, that the train was blown up that morning, that he's been cybernetically linked with the remnants of one of the victims (let it go, this is science fiction), and that his mission is to ID the bomber and prevent him or her from doing more damage. The simulation repeats and he's off again, a bit wiser, and wiser with every iteration.

Now, you don't have to be an experienced science fiction reader (which I am) to figure out that the Army pilot is dead, that these computer people are hooking up his brain to the simulation. Live people don't end up inside computer programs. But this does come as a big surprise to the captain, and to the more naive members of the audience. And it does set up what should have been a really original ending.

The hero finally completes the mission, having fallen for the girl along the way. He knows he's dead, and so is she, and all this is virtual reality. He pleads with the sympathetic operator to let him redo the simulation one last time, then let him die - completely. Touched, she agrees, even though the ogre chief of the project wants to 'wipe his memory' and use him again.

And what happens in the last iteration is what should have made the movie memorable. Knowing this is his last remnant of consciousness, what he does the last time is make everyone in the train car happy. He's learned a great deal about them the other times through. He bets a comedian (whom he has recognized from television) all the money he has that he can't make everyone on the car laugh. The man takes the bet and proceeds to do just that. As the seconds tick down to the inevitable end, when they'll all be incinerated, he takes the girl in his arms, tells her he loves her, and wants to be with her forever. The frame freezes and pans the whole length of the car, revealing every passenger laughing or in various states of bliss. This is the instant that will see the hero into eternity.

Not bad, completely unexpected, and, like the best twists, revealing that the theme of the drama was something completely different than the detective story it seemed to be. It's always nice to be surprised like that. I will confess to having to deal with moist eyes constantly at movies, and this was another occasion. A perfect ending. I reached for my hat, expecting the credits to roll up, and . . . . .

. . . it wasn't over. It went on for another 15 minutes, into the most God-awful coda you ever saw, completely obliterating the premises of the story, so bad I am not going to describe it.

What goes on? My guess is that when they previewed the movie, they found that the some members of the audience were dismayed that people as cute and likable as Jake Gyllenhall and Michelle Monaghan have to suffer the fate they do. A happy ending required. I think that's what happens, given production costs and promotion costs in the tens of millions. Trusting the better sense of the audience is a thing of the past. Too much sunk cost.

An unexpected ride; explosively addictive.

Author: jonhamms from Canada
3 April 2011

Source code is one of those few action/sci-Fi movies that work effectively without exaggeration or embellishment. When we see Source Code we see the certain resemblance it has with ''Déjà Vu'' with Denzel Washington but Duncan Jones, with his own talent his own style prevent that from happening. Source Code has is own method and approach, which is quite entertaining and enjoyable. This movie is certainly recommended for all the action-junkies because this has all to be a ''Summer Hit'' which confuses me, why hasn't this opened in June or July, it had the potential and the content of an ''Summer'' blockbuster. Jake Gyllenhaal is not your typical action hero, since but he really pulls everything off really well. Michelle Monaghan and Vera Farmiga are both absolutely gorgeous women with talent. On the whole Source Code is pure entertainment at its best.

will keep you interested till the very ending

Author: Hossam Kassem (toma_kassem@hotmail.com) from Egypt
30 March 2011

I was looking forward to seeing " Source Code " ever since I saw the 1st trailer, and I was lucky enough to catch it in an advance screening, before it officially released here, and it just exceeded my expectations. this is the type of movies that will keep you interested till the very ending . it's probably the best sci-fi/thriller since Inception ! no big action scenes, no big explosions, no usage of unnecessary CGI, well-written story, solid performance from Mr. Gyllenhaal ( who is now officially one of my favorite actors ) and another hit from my newest favorite filmmaker Duncan Jones. don't miss it !

Duncan Jones

Author: slayerjmk95 from United States
27 March 2011

When i saw this at a preview screening, i was not surprised to find another great film from one of the best sci-fi directors of our time; Duncan Jones, who brought us the instant classic, Moon. Source Code is in part an original movie but bears brief resemblance to Tony Scott's Action/Thriller Deja Vu. Source Code centers itself around Colter Stevens, an AFO soldier who wakes upon a train, not knowing how he got there or why and how people are addressing him as someone else, and soon enough the train explodes, supposedly killing everyone. But Stevens awakes to find himself in a kind of "machine" called the Source Code.

The whole story is fantastic, with a man (Stevens) having to go back in time and trying to find out who is behind the bombing. With even more praise is the directing, script, and the choice of actors for the roles. Jake Gyllenhaal was perfect in the role of Stevens as Jeffery Wright was for his role as Dr. Rutledge who believes everything has to go his way or the "mission" will be ruined. Overall, this is a thriller that is not to be missed. But for those who have seen this as well, i agree that if the ending was different and more powerful, the movie would be an INSTANT science fiction classic, but it falls just short of that. Still one that will be remembered for all time, in my opinion.

9/10 Stars***