IMDb > Salt (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 51:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good Action Flick

Author: geekroad from Los Angeles
27 August 2010

Many reviewers here have stated that this movie isn't realistic because 'Salt doesn't get bruised enough' or 'no one her size could...' Have these people ever been to an action movie before? NO ACTION MOVIE IS REALISTIC. They are all written to be over-the-top because that's what makes them entertaining. We suspend disbelief to enter the world of the action-hero (or heroine) and we go along for the thrilling ride that is sometimes so over-the-top it's ridiculous! But that's what makes it fun. If action movies were realistic, they would be slow and boring. This movie does not cross the line anymore than any other action movie.

Salt delivers exactly what is promised -- a solid 100 minutes of action. It keeps you watching, it keeps you guessing (even when it turns out you were right in some cases), and it entertains from start to finish. If you like the action movie genre, chances are you will enjoy this movie.

As for the reviewers who criticized the way Russians are portrayed, the action genre plays to comic book-like caricatures. The villains are no more realistic than the heroine! This isn't a documentary!

If you like action movies, give Salt a go. Angelina won't disappoint.

Entertaining for sure

Author: jane10357 from United States
20 July 2010

Was it realistic? No. Did all the dots get connected? Not all. Was it fun to watch? Yes. Was it predictable? Not entirely. Lots of twists & turns. If you don't mind people sliding down a banister with six-shooters out shooting 5 hit men with Uzi's, then you'll probably like it. (This didn't really happen, and I don't really know guns but you get the message.) I thought I had it all figured out but I was oh so wrong. I would like to see it again, knowing what I know now. There wasn't a lot of cursing and relatively little blood & guts considering this type of movie. I must say, sitting next to some women who liked shouting at the screen and throwing their own punches heightened the excitement for the audience.

Completely unrealistic image of Russia

Author: (FractalizeR@yandex.ru) from Russian Federation, Moscow
4 August 2010

I wonder is there any more stupid image of Russia in the history of American movies? Where did you get these surnames? Ask any Russian on the net for a huge bunch of real Russian surnames. Where did you get this ring kissing ritual? Stupid.

An image of Russian super-spies drinking vodka on the stinking rotten ship, which somehow serves them as a base is also unrealistic. Just as 50Kg woman which can be thrown against the wall and have no even single bruise after.

I wonder, do all Americans still know Russia as it is shown in this film? Or it is just comfortable to utilize 30 year old image because developing new one and showing it can reduce cash flow? But the action itself (if you switch off your brain for 1h30min) is good. It is the only thing we can enjoy in this movie together with a good actor play.

This movie states: Russians are dicks

Author: npac40 from Bulgaria
5 August 2010

Seriously you guys? At one point of the film the Russians kill a guy and celebrate that in the following way: everybody just pulls out a shot of vodka. They are all carrying guns, machine guns etc. and in the next moment they just pull out glasses FILLED with vodka! WTF?! Seriously? The whole movie is kinda ridiculous - special agent "Salt" does not kill a single American (just injures a few, but never fatally), however when she's got the chance she murders at least a dozen Russians without a blink of her eye. And we are supposed to be wondering if she's a Russian or American spy. REEEAAAALLY? This movie is just awful.

Also, not sure why, but before watching it Angelina was still "hot chick" for me. She's "aunt Angie" from now on.

Disjointed mess

Author: BigWhiskers from United States
24 July 2010

I went into this thinking Angelina Jolie looks hot and it will be exciting. Instead it's an overblown mess with jerky camera angles and a plot so convoluted that you could drive a car through the plot holes. Ms Jolie plays a spy for the CIA who turns out to be a Russian sleeper cell spy as well. So she runs and runs and runs and sports a black wig and expensive sunglasses like a character from the Matrix. And they do what I always hate in movies , they zoom in during the fight scenes which makes it all blurry and jerky ,what's the point.By the end of the movie I was so put out especially with the shameless setup for a sequel, Jolie running off into the woods,fade to black.I left the movie theater thinking I'll bet critics like that windbag Ebert will like this movie yet trash another movie that is way better.

3/10 and that's generous.

Dunderheaded action picture

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
25 July 2010

It almost seems as if it were scheduled to make up for the headiness of Chris Nolan's Inception (yeah, I know, it wasn't THAT smart, but compared to the vast majority of American blockbusters...). It's pretty much a Bourne rip-off. It stars Angelina Jolie as a CIA agent who is exposed as a Russian sleeper agent by a Russian defector. Whether she is one or not, her bosses (Chiwetel Ejiofor and Liev Schreiber) decide to keep her under wraps. She'll have none of that, though, as she fears for the safety of her spider expert husband. So basically, like Bourne, it's about a defecting agent running from her employers while simultaneously trying to foil the bad guys. The film does have a couple of semi-clever twists, but it also contains a metric ton of stupidity. There's no real set-up for Jolie being some kind of Bourne-like superwoman, yet as soon as the action sequences start she's either MacGuiver or Jackie Chan. Weighing in at about 95 pounds (seriously, Angie, eat a burger) she's able to beat the everloving crap out of every trained CIA, FBI or Secret Service agent who gets in her way. The filmmaking is reminiscent of Bourne, but, unlike Bourne, the choreography is confusing and implausible. Very little of the plot makes any sense, from the reason for the initial exposure to Jolie's motivations to the final sequence. Any moderate examination reveals the film to make no sense whatsoever.

Popcorn entertainment nothing more nothing less!

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
19 August 2010

While I was expecting a little more sophistication in the plot department I realized that such a thing couldn't happen when US versus Russia is at play. (To my knowledge the Cold War is over and the spy business has become more complicated than ever. This oversimplification of old enemies and their wars is too much.) The plot is all over the place and realism is thrown out of the door. There are too many things happening in the movie that are too convenient and even impossible. Still it didn't keep me from enjoying this movie. It even managed to thrill me at occasions even if I was aware that most of the plot was nonsense. Jolie does an excellent job as the action heroine. The action is that makes this movie tick and that is almost the only thing that should count in a movie like this.Ignore the bashing and trashing of Jolie. This is pure entertainment!

Salt is one "peppery" heroine

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
7 August 2010

The people who wrote this film apparently don't think the audience is very smart. They want us to believe that Angelina Jolie who is about five foot four in her bare feet and 100 pounds wringing wet is capable of beating up and shooting about sixty people, crawling around a ten story building on a narrow ledge, jumping from tractor trailer to tractor trailer and climbing down a ten story elevator shaft! Boy she is one tough, ass kicking mama! Some people have said this movie is merely a clone of the Jason Bourne movies (one reviewer waggishly called Salt Jason Bourne with a vagina). However, Jolie makes her role distinctly unique. She holds this movie together with cool intensity that would rival any actor. The plot is convoluted and hard to follow but there is enough action for five movies, so just sit back and enjoy the ride. By the way, for you history lovers, there really was a theory that Lee Harvey Oswald had a Soviet lookalike who was the real killer of JFK and there really is an underground bunker below the White House.

Absolute RUBBISH

Author: Red Rat from Trinidad and Tobago
28 August 2010

I thought that this film would be an exciting mix of action, thriller, espionage and drama. Instead it's an overblown farce and a plot resembling blancmange. Angelina Jolie plays a spy for the CIA who turns out to be a Russian spy as well. So she gets exposed and runs away (but somehow doesn't look anything the action figure of Lara Croft but quite ungainly and pathetic) and uses a black wig and sunglasses like a Matrix character which doesn't hide her at all. In fact, at one point when trying to allude the CIA she disguises herself in a Russian fur hat and fur coat. Hilarious! In another scene she randomly picks some dry cleaning off a rail in a hotel and surprise surprise the suit fits like it's tailored. Her disguise to go into the White House is just so ridiculous that you actually feel shame for the director and make up artist. Interestingly throughout the film special agent "Salt" does not kill a single American, however she kills every Russian she can. And we are supposed to be wondering if she's a Russian spy? This film is so bad and panders so shamefully to the uneducated ill informed American conception of an evil enemy that really the only thing missing is the idea of an Arab funding it all from a cave in Afghanistan.

The film ends, thankfully, but unthankfully with Jolie running off into the woods,fade to black and you can just here the film studio setting up storyboards for a sequel. Oh please NO.

Total rubbish. 1/10

Terrible

Author: stefinlithuania from Lithuania
19 August 2010

The movie is utterly outrageous. Nothing in it is barely logical. From start to finish what you see is Angelina Jolie as an indestructible war machine with no plausible or understandable aim. A really bad movie... unless you care only about fighting scenes and impossible action. Like don't getting a bruise jumping from car to car, climbing barehanded the wall of a fifteen storeys building, jumping in a winter lake from a helicopter, or swooping down an elevator shaft. One of the worst movies ever. The people dubbing in Russian are even not that bad, but the overall impression is quite sad. BTW, have you seen the handcuffs? With a half-meter chain between them, you can really hurt somebody... Did you notice that she has a blood stain on her back when she got shot, even if she is wearing a bullet-proof jacket?

Page 1 of 51:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]