IMDb > Searchers 2.0 (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Searchers 2.0 More at IMDbPro »

Awesome :)

Author: Jeni Ishimoto Zambrano (Kim) from Los Angeles CA
5 November 2007

Gorgeous film, funny, thoughtful, entertaining :) Reviewers who boohoo'd it are probably not from the western U.S. We loved it. Just incredible cinematography by Steven Fierberg, making this a tremendous road trip film. Seasoned actors Del Zamora and Ed Pansullo aptly delivered the amusing script, and Zahn McClarnon and Jaclyn Jonet are lovely new actors. Dan Wool's driving, eclectic music perfectly accompanied the film, along with vocals by Vanessa Beggs. Wry commentary on the state of the film industry and politics in the United States today. AFI venue this year is also great, a lot to do, to see, to run into.

Alex Cox to the Rescue

Author: barney_holmes from United Kingdom
16 June 2008

No car chases. No explosions. No big budget. If you love films and worry where that industry is heading then watch this. Cox successfully snapped me out of the hypnosis used on me to make me think I know "what a good film is".

I liked Iron Man (for example), but from a distance, and from a more sober view, it seems like some overblown loud, teenagers idea of what a "great" film is.

The production and actors, in Searchers 2.0 let loose without straining them selves trying to score on big points or important insights, and it's all the better for it. If you want a big, overblown roller coaster ride then go and see the current traditional offering of Hollywood releases, this is not for you.

Entertaining, funny comedy on a shoestring budget

Author: frogacuda from United States
9 March 2008

Despite the threadbare production values, Searchers 2.0 boasts a great script, a distinct style, and a capable cast of low-profile actors that handily step into the starring roles.

It's clear to see that Searchers 2.0 is an inexpensive film. Shot on digital video with generally modest equipment, it has a somewhat homemade feel despite capable direction, camera-work, and framing. It's obvious that this was a hurried, slightly unpolished production, but it's just as obvious that its creators were having a lot of fun making it.

Searchers 2.0 is a clever and occasionally bizarre revenge tale that lets the sense of humor that launched Cox's career with Repo Man take center stage. Like Repo Man it all escalates in a crazy, unexpected ending that was clearly tacked on late in production, and it works as well here as it did there.

Recommended viewing for all Alex Cox fans and film nerds everywhere.

Thought provoking & Enjoyable! A must see for Alex Cox fans!

Author: MovieWtchr from United States
4 July 2008

I really enjoyed this movie- as I do, all of the films of Alex Cox- a superb, tell-it-like-it-is, movie making Artist. This guy gets it, and finds a way in this film, to show us how ridiculous we are.

Some of the high teck movie lovers might need to amp-down some, for this beautifully shot road movie, for the lessons are silently text-ed between satire and farce. No big Hollywood budget here- but BIG in content, in regards to the refection it sheds back on it's viewers. Not to mention Steven Fierbergs capturing of the background of red-dusted Monument Valley-breathtaking!

Del Zamora as Mel Torres, anchors this cast, as he earnestly sets out to the desert to cast revenge on an old cruel childhood foe. This actor seems to hide in plain sight, with his natural and unassuming style-I like this real-man lead- show us some more of Zamora.

Sy Richardson has a voice like the dust and heat of the desert. Another interesting actor, who was cool and fast in the unconventional final shootout.

Jaclyn Jonet in her first feature and did a fine job. A realistic bratty kid at times and then an actress-deadpanning you into the camera. Another example, as Cox injects many unconventional, third-wall breaking techniques, speaking directly to us, as if to take us by the collar and give us a bit-of-a-shake.

Ed Pansullo is worth a mention too, for his sheer annoying honesty-as the back-seat driving, revenge seeking, chatterbox sidekick. He had me convinced he wasn't acting and gave me several good laughs.

Lastly, I recommend this film for those who are sick of the same old shod that's coming out of Hollywood. Independent films with social insight are priceless. For goodness sake, praise the filmmaker who still fully utilizes our right to free speech. Give us meat & potato actors on a spaghetti string budget, with some true moral & ethical nutrition over the fluff and illusion of Hollywood ANYDAY!

Another excellent Alex Cox film.

LOVED this modern road movie- Searchers 2.0!!

Author: jotkaur from United States
4 July 2008

What a beautiful film- shot in Monument Valley! Dan Ferberg captured the mystery, awe, and danger of this magical place- pack your bags for this modern day road movie!

Alex Cox has a talent for casting great and under appreciated talent. Del Zamora, a Chicano chameleon of an actor- who always surprises with his unique and very human portrayals. Sy Richardson- adds texture & suspense. Ed Pansullo seems so real- I couldn't help but laugh and newcomer, Jaclyn Jonet, plays Deliah, the sassy & spirited daughter to Zamora- good job!

Alex Cox seems to be able to put his finger on the pulse of our times; I found myself annoyed, as the characters constantly text messaged through out the movie and their constant frustration & struggle over obtaining gasoline for their HUGE SUV- and then realized it was my own self, I was annoyed at- my own need for constant consumption and stimulation. Are we a culture of computer & gadget freaks who are so hypnotized by our toys, that we miss the people, places and obvious world issues, blowing out from under our noses? This movie made me think and reconsider some of the attitudes that behaviors that I have, as a plump bellied American- lulled by the media into a daze, as the world around us suffers from our gas & gadget driven lifestyle.

Keep bringing it on Alex Cox! You are one of the few storytellers who seems uninfluenced by corporate money making greed of the big studios. Thank you for telling it like it is!

Eccentric and Refreshing Road Movie

Author: Slime-3 from Gloucester, England
28 January 2012

English director Alex Cox takes the classic American road movie formula and adds in all manner of refreshing contemporary satirical twists and turns. Made on a minute budget with tiny crew and shot on digital video in just 15 days, THE SEARCHERS 2.0 has some wonderful thoughtful moments, great dialogue, amusing and intriguing characters and the best backdrop in the world - Monument Valley. Yes the cut-price way it was shot creeps in occasionally. The sound in one scene includes a buzzing generator in one view but not in the reverse angles and the use of natural light does sometimes mean a gloomy foreground is overwhelmed by the sunlight in the distance,but in many ways this gives it a raw charm. The acting is equally variable but where it creaks one might almost feel it's appropriate as the two main characters, ex child actors who never made-it beyond B-movies and bit parts, endlessly discuss films they were in or admired. They also enjoy name checking dozens of 'fellow actors' along the way who are always given some positive comment along the line of "a great actor!" or "underrated actor!" The ending is surreal and could be seen to detract from the rhythm and style of what has gone before (although there are several surreal elements along the way!) but overall it's such en enjoyable ride that it's easy to forgive. A hidden gem.

It had a few laughs, but the acting was so terrible it was painful to watch.

Author: Ryan Stoker (plasmawhore) from Eugene, OR
27 September 2008

I knew I was going to see a low budget movie, but I expected much more from an Alex Cox film. The acting by the two leading men was terrible, especially the white guy. The girl should have won an Oscar compared to those two. This movie was filled with what I guess would be inside jokes for film industry people and a few other jokes that I actually understood and made me laugh out loud, which is rare. Without these laugh-out-loud moments I would have given this film 2/10. What happened to the Alex Cox who made all the 80s classics?

SPOILER:

There were a couple of questions I had after the movie was over. Why did the Mexican guy go to the other guy's house at the beginning? What did his daughter say he got 100 people fired from his last job? Why was she breaking her own stuff when she was mad at him? I guess I should have gone to the Q&A after the movie, but I didn't want to get up at 10am.

This movie is less than the sum of its parts.

Author: Paul Borden from United States
21 April 2008

Although there were some amusing moments, I thought the movie was pretty lame. The longer it ran, the worse it got. Once the action entered Monument Valley, I found myself watching the magnificent outcroppings more than the increasingly silly and unconvincing interaction of the characters.

The character of the daughter was particularly incoherent. First she's in on the deal, then discovers the truth and she bails. Then she's back again, then deserts them again. Then she's back again. There's no apparent motivation for any of her decisions. There were interesting characters, some interesting scenes, and many missed possibilities. I would have to say the pictures was much less than the sum of its parts. Apparently the people who liked Repo Man were inclined to like this one. Searchers 2.0 is no match for The Searchers.