IMDb > Shelter (2007/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Just love it

Author: bincasa from Slovenia
14 October 2011

I am surprised reading all those negative comments on this film. Personally I love it. Beautiful story, great music, Zack and Shaun are just perfect. For me Trevor Wright is outstanding in his role. Watching him I could feel his restlessness and chemistry between the main characters is amazing. My favorite scene is their conversation while lying in bed, where Shaun is teaching Zack about taking the compliment. There is not one scene I would change. For me this movie is a great example of how less is more. It is a film of many words that remain unsaid. I am a big fan of independent and European film, but this is the only movie I have watched many times in a few days period.

Sometimes we want a happy ending

Author: brownt218 from Daytona Beach FL
23 April 2011

Although this is called a surfer movie, the surfing here was treated as an incidental. I think one of the surfing scenes, maybe the first one, should have been longer and shown the two leads riding the same wave. But aside from such artistic flaws here and there, the situation and plot grab you and carry you along to a memorable finale. It was so refreshing to have a gay-themed movie set in an ordinary town and with an ordinary blue-collar family, with not a single nightclub scene. It was also enjoyable to see gay characters allowed to interact with a young boy and play the Best Uncle role that so many of us carry in real life. The female roles were murkier, and it was hard to fathom what was going through their minds. But the guy/guy romance of the film was stunning. I particularly enjoyed the early scenes when Brad is mystified by the male attraction he's starting to feel. With a cipher of a father, it's obvious Brad needed and found an older brother figure in Shaun. Both guys are good-looking but not Hollywood perfect, which also made the film more credible. If we examined the plot with brutal realism, we might say it would be far-fetched for Brad to be admitted to art school a second time with a full scholarship, or that Shaun would be ready to take on both a partner and a toddler. But I think gay people are entitled to an escapist happy ending once in a while, and Shelter fills the bill quite nicely.

Very Good - Mercifully Avoids The Irritating Pitfalls Many Gay Films Fall Victim To

Author: madcardinal from Connecticut, United States
13 April 2011

If you've been interested in watching a movie with gay characters but cringe in exasperation when you see guys dressing up as women, acting like tarts, courting death by way of promiscuity, taking drugs, feeling sorry for themselves or bathing in suicidal despair, then "Shelter" is the movie for you. Trevor Wright (who plays Zach) and Brad Rowe (playing Shaun) make this film very likable. They do not look offbeat or effeminate; they do not walk around singing Broadway show tunes; and they do not refer to themselves or other gay guys as "girl." They convincingly portray two healthy, regular American guys who just happen to be gay. In fact, they turn out to be intelligent, resilient and altruistic. Shaun is already well grounded in his identity and Zach is journeying toward his authentic self. This film is substantially more positive in tone than many gay flicks and contains no maddening goofiness or flippancy. Zach has to deal with some real-life choices - among them, choosing whether or not to realize that the most challenging homophobia does not come from an oppressive society but from within one's self. Throw in Zach's adorable little nephew - played by Jackson Wurth - and you have a movie that's pretty hard to resist.

Perfect.

Author: Masrav from Indonesia
5 September 2010

Expecting a rather shallow, coming-of-age-meeting-a-hunk kind of gay film, this movie delivers in many levels. The flow of the movie is perfectly carried, and with the ocean and surfing serving as a focal point and as an intermezzo to the journey, we are brought a cocktail of humble moments, awkward and sweet moments, intermingled with tension, crisis and topped off with a rather new twist to a happy ending.

This movie showed how to show a correct raw and intimate moment without being too erotic. Trevor Wright brought a stunning performance, adding many facets to the image of a troubled teen seeking an identity for himself and for the world around him. Marvelous movie.

I loved this film

Author: JacksPgh from United States
25 July 2009

This is the best gay film I've ever seen, and 1 of the best films I've seen in a long time. It is a very good story. The relationship is believable and touching. It is very true to life and reminds me of my youth. These actors were excellent. Trevor Wright nails it. His expressions tell an entire story. He seems to be a natural. Brad Wright, Tina Holmes and Katie Walder were all excellent also. They all gave first class performances. All the characters are fully fleshed out and believable. Great cinematography.This film should not be overlooked. The love scenes... PRICELESS! A great sun-splashed love story.

boy meets boy( +1) despite obstacles

Author: artemesia1906 from australia
21 October 2008

This was a surprisingly great film. Acting was SO NOT Hollywood overdone. Beautiful guys, such a moving screenplay and script, I loved this film. Great actors, no MASTER villains, tho we all knew the sister was a bitch A lovely happy ending, NICE!!! Definitely one for the teary romantics. Zack, uncle of baby 5yo Cody is not happy with girlfriend. Older bro of his best friend Gabe returns to San Pedro after break up of relationship in San Francisco or LA. They hang out and surf together, talk, etc, until Zack crashes at Sean's who kisses him goodnight. Zack battles with his attractions, and with his sister, who takes NO responsibility for her son Cody....etc

amazing

Author: jakers12367 from United States
5 June 2008

This film far surpassed any film in this genre that I have seen. The acting was amazing, the cinematography was impressive for the lack of budget and the chemistry between the two leads was palpable. Trevor Wright has more acting ability in his eyes than most of his "young Hollywood" peers. I really felt that the characters were true to life and that most of the actors played their parts impressively, except the sister and her "boyfriend". The kid that played Cody was great and Brad Rowe continues to impress. It is a shame that he and Trevor are not more sought out in films, considering the lack of talent of people their ages in Hollywood. The writing and directing was enjoyable and I think Mr. Markowitz has a bright future as a filmmaker. My only criticism is that the film went a little too fast and an extra 10-15 minutes to flesh out the story would have made this movie even better. I really hope this film, and its lead actor, get recognized for next year's independent spirit awards.

Gay or Straight....Just a "feel good" movie!

Author: Berg Levin from United States
29 May 2008

Much has been written about the plot and storyline; nothing spectacular, but solid and very well done. The awesome soundtrack and great photography aren't used as filler or a distraction, rather they smartly add to the content.

The cast, however, is really what makes this movie worth seeing. The two lead characters are just perfect and their chemistry holds it all together. Trevor Wright carries the movie, but Brad Rowe isn't far behind; portraying two down to earth guys, each one struggling to cope with their own realities and finding shelter in each other...Oh, they happen to be gay...and that's the catch...This isn't a "gay movie"; there's no cheap sex scenes or overly dramatic dialogs, no one is sick or dying, rather, it just sound very real.

The supporting cast does a great job as well; the sister, her boyfriend, the best friend and the girlfriend are developed just enough to connect all the action and reaction without taking over the screen. Each one of their roles are developed just enough to make sense, and they do it just fine. The kid, on the other hand, is just perfect and fits right into the plot; first he's a reason why Zach cannot commit to a relationship (especially a gay one), then he brings them together since his uncle cannot raise him alone and go to school.

As a straight man seeing it with two gay friends, I was the one doing the talking afterwards. Will see it again!

Everything I hoped for and more

Author: Cherriosbannas from Oregon
23 April 2008

After seeing Shelter I came out with a smile on my face. It was everything I hope it to be and more. It's a beautiful gem of a movie, giving a warm feeling after watching it. A beautiful love story between two souls, who just happen to be gay. The relationship between Zach and Shaun is believable and builds at a realistic pace. They goof around, surfing, playing on the beach, drinking beers, and just talking about life. It's believable that they've know each other for years. One of the those people whom you know for years, but it's only until recently you realize how they truly see you better than anyone.

Zach who has had to age well before his time. He is center of his family and bare all the responsibilities and weight of his family's guilt. His father hurt himself years ago and is no help to either his children or grandson Cody. Zach's sister Jean is more interested in her own needs, and leaves Zach to raise her son that she ignores. But I do honestly believe that she knows she is too selfish to be a good mother, so she lets Cody be raise by someone who can be there for him physically and emotionally.I was really impressed with Trevor Wright and I loved how he uses his body to show his emotions. For example before they make love, he is jumpy and paces with frustration. And after, it's like a weight has been lifted off his soul. And he has this wonderful smile of pure joy on his face.

Zach is a great father to his five year old nephew Cody. He is the only one the small boy can count on and they have an adorable relationship. Cody steals your heart in every scene he's in, he has to be one of the cutest most talented little boys ever. Cody and Shaun take a real liking to each other and Shaun is another great parental figure in Cody's life. Proving that all a child needs is someone to care, love, and provide for them. It doesn't matter who makes up the parents.

I loved the music and how it was used. How it fits the characters and the environment they are from. The best song was More Than This by Shane Mack because it's lyrics fit how Zach was feeling about the obstacles in his life. He is struggling with what he wants and the choices he's made. And the song is playing about how it is better to have lived and loved and then have pain, than to had nothing. And it is played over a montage of certain moments in the movie, very well done.

I love the way that both Gabe and Zach's ex Tori take the news. They both come to terms with it in their own way, they accept him with open arms. But Gabe's reaction is way funnier. He comes in after a night of drinking complaining to be hung over. He knows that Zach is gay and is dating Shaun. He wants to know if Zach has always know about being gay and that he is weirded out by the fact Zach's boyfriend is Shaun. Gabe: I hear they give better head than girls is it true? Zach: Yeah. (A guy walks by)Gabe: Do you think he's cute? Before he leaves, Gabe lets Zach know that they are still best friends and nothing will change. He gives his a supportive hug and leaves Zach to sort out his feelings. All those who truly matter in Zach's life are supportive of him and what makes him happy in life. So after years of being the support that everyone else leans on, Zach finally is free to live his life the way he wants.

Inspirational

Author: w-mocke from Australia
30 January 2011

This film has inspired me to come out of the closet to some of the people I know. Shelter is shown me that not everybody judges people. I have learned this when I started talking about who I really am and my true feelings.

This film also shows the complete selflessness Zach has towards his family and loved ones. This is a great love story, it honestly gave me butterflies in my stomach. Also send a sense of warmness into heart. Shelter shows us that everything doesn't always come easy to everyone, sometime like it was for me. But in the end everything is achievable with effort.

I am probably;y going to watch this film a few more times because I don't think that I can get bored of it.

Shelter shows us that not everything in this world is bad, but when you know you have some magnificent on your hands, grab it with both arms,

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]