Shelter (2007) Poster

(II) (2007)

79 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
An Exceptional Film About Love, Family, And Relationships
unknwnnm220 April 2008
What an amazing movie about love, family, and relationships. It was great to watch a film that used characters that stepped outside of the gay stereotypes seen in most films. It was even better to see a movie that focused on the love (rather than the sex) between the two lead characters.

While there are some scenes that scream "low budget," the end product as a whole was very rewarding. The acting, writing, and directing were all solid.

After so many disappointing gay films, I'm thrilled to have a movie like this come along. If this is a sign of things to come in gay cinema, then I am excited about future films. If you haven't seen "Shelter" yet, go give it watch. You'll be glad you did. Enjoy.
90 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
lyrical, sweet and poignant
John Frame30 April 2008
I'm previewing a disc version for the Brisbane Queer Film Festival where Shelter screens on Saturday 24th May 2008. Even in this low res screener, Shelter shines as a film with huge heart, and one that's been made with equal care by the actors and all of the film-makers.

It's not at all like the angst-ridden abomination of a gay surf flick "Tan Lines". Surfing is simply a fact of life element in "Shelter" - it's not used or abused as a device.

"Shelter" is a beautifully edited, spectacular looking and luscious sounding film which is definitely character driven. Each of the main characters is carefully developed so that we quite soon decide that we really do care about Zach, his young nephew Cody and Zach's love interest, Shaun. We want things to work out for them.

We understand that Zach is in a bind - he's allowed himself to be the physical and emotional anchor for a progressively more dysfunctional family, but we know that he deserves much better life options. The writers and director of Shelter have done a fantastic job - not a look or word is wasted, and yet the whole pace of the film is very relaxed.

"Shelter" deserves every accolade that any individual or Festival might care to bestow.

Straight audiences must find "Shelter" to be equally rewarding. The film's theme is, after all, about love, honour and commitment. What could be more wholesome than that?
55 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The anti-Brokeback?
laweat16 June 2007
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Brokeback Mt., but I saw a screening of this film at the SF Gay and Lesbian Film Festival tonight and loved it as much as BBM and in some ways appreciated it more. At the Q & A after the screening the producer mentioned that the production company exec who green-lighted the project said he wanted to make "the anti-Brokeback," and in this I think they have succeeded magnificently. This is a genuine, heartfelt story about gay love minus all the tragedy and shattered lives. Which isn't to say there's no drama... Let's just say that some characters in the story have some problems, but mostly they're not a direct result of the love story at the film's core. For my money the acting (with avowed heterosexuals playing the gay roles, as in BBM) was more convincing, the kissing more natural, the sex scenes extremely sexy and moving; another milestone in the realistic portrayal of gay love and sex. The family setting provided a context that allowed one man's coming out story to be just one among many changes all families go through together while simultaneously putting some evil homophobic stereotypes to bed, you should pardon the expression, rather than dwelling on them as in BBM. Bravo to the filmmakers and excellent cast, and I hope you get a chance to see it soon if you weren't lucky enough to be among the 1400 people at the Castro theater tonight. Oh, and the lead actors are drop dead gorgeous and playing surfers. Enough said.
111 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent
corysher1330 July 2007
This film is inspiring and the acting is superb. Trevor Wright does an amazing job in making us believe he is struggling to be everything to his family while dealing with his sexuality. Brad Rowe is also incredible. Casting him with Trevor was perfect. They are a true couple in this story. Jonah will go far in his career if he continues to make outstanding films like this one! Nice job to here! Networks for producing such quality work. I would like to know how Jonah came up with the idea for Shelter? As the film gets distributed in theaters, I also hope it makes it to GLBT youth programs so that young audiences can see this film, and be proud of who they are.
66 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautifully done --acting and direction
lancemyers13 June 2008
It's not really about rich and poor, it's about honesty and honor, and the lack of it.

The one stand-up guy (Trevor Wright) reminds us that there actually *are* good, selfless people in the world. Zach has to deal with and master an unfair world, and part of that iniquity is himself, because he's gay. Trouble outside, trouble inside.

This is a very kind, wonderfully acted movie. Kudos to all involved.

It's odd that we need straight actors to convince us that gay folk are actually human, but these guys do it without apologies.

We should all be so kind.
41 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exceptionally Fine Film
vacaville-shane19 July 2007
I attended the Outfest screening for this film last night and was mightily and pleasantly surprised. I'd read the descriptive blurb in the Outfest program and thought "Yeah, whatever...a surfer film." But it was at the John Ford Amphitheatre, my favorite festival venue, which, frankly, was my main reason to go last night. Within the first ten minutes, the venue was quite secondary. I was easily drawn into the story and found myself deeply moved soon in. Having grown up in small town America, the story held a profound resonance for me. Yet, even if that is not your particular experience, this film defies you not to be moved. If you are looking for imperfection here, you will find it. If you allow yourself to be engaged in the story, you won't be disappointed. This one will be with me for a while.
62 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow! Go see this...
phoneb6913 March 2008
I saw this the other night at a screening in NYC...wasn't even going to go but decided at the last minute to go and so happy I did. This movie completely surprised me and impressed me. Wonderfully directed, great script and spot on acting. Absolutely the best gay themed movie I've seen since Brokeback Mountain and in some ways surpasses that movie. How refreshing to see a film that deals with gay characters and none of them have a disease or are all about sex. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's about time we see more movies that represent the ENTIRE spectrum of the gay community. The situations here were believable...the two leads had actual chemistry and there was an overall realism to it that we've rarely seen on screen with gay characters. This film has absolute mainstream appeal to it...Go see it and bring your friends!
37 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Film at the San Francisco LGBT Film Festival
lylecass18 June 2007
This has got to be the best film I've seen at the San Francisco LGBT film festival in years. The director and cast were in attendance at the world premiere and they were given a worthy standing ovation. Writer/director Jonah Markowitz did a fantastic job of flushing out real characters. Trevor Wright was a real natural and convincing as someone struggling to come out. He really made you feel his pain. The story about his codependent sister is dead-on. Brad Rowe is like a young Greg Kinnear. You can't help liking him. The soundtrack was excellent and I hope to see it released. This is the first film from here! Network and I hope to see more of this quality. Incidentally, I've noticed on the IMDb search that there are two other films being released in 2007 with the title "Shelter" and there a half dozen films in the past with the same title. Also, on the allmovie guide (AMG) site there is an Italian film with the same title. Interesting enough, that film is being shown at the SF LGBT festival and was changed to Shelter Me. Hopefully, the "surfer gay movie" will stand out.
43 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A surprising, wonderful film!
vitaminbee19 July 2007
This one is currently making the festival rounds, and last night played at Los Angeles' Outfest, to an enthusiastic crowd. That it was produced by Here! TV (creators of such awful crud as Dante's Cove) didn't exactly fill me with much hope, but to my surprise, I walked out of last night's screening believing that I'd seen one of the best films Outfest has programmed in years, and one of the best gay films about family dynamics ever. From writer/director Jonah Markowitz down to even the smallest details, this one's a winner. The story seems very simple, but Markowitz takes his very familiar coming-of-age premise and molds it into a very rich and rewarding experience for movie viewers. In a nutshell, the story is about Zach, a talented young artist struggling to balance the demands and responsibilities of his disintegrating family with his need to express himself as an individual and deal with his budding sexuality. Lead actor, Trevor Wright, deserves a lot of praise for giving such a commanding performance in a role that involves a lot of quiet moments. You see so much of the story in Wright's beautiful eyes and nuanced expressions. He has one small scene, while driving home, that had the Outfest audience thunderously cheering, and all it involves is a slow, satisfied smile that creeps across his lips. And that's just one of many truly lovely moments. The rest of the cast is top-notch as well. And the cinematography of Joseph White (lots of beautiful long shots, as well as some amazing surfing footage courtesy of surf director of photography David Warshauer) and the evocative score by J. Peter Robinson (and original songs by Shane Mack) really help make this one of the best gay-themed films made in years. I can't praise it highly enough. See it the first chance you get!
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You cant miss this
gtsrec5 May 2008
This film is truly enjoyable in all aspects. Its not a big millions of dollars production but is so well realized that once more we think and got sure that too much money isn't everything. The main roles are really believable, in special the main one: The "white trash" boy that re-connects with the old brother of his best friend that happens to be gay. The actor is superb in showing the feelings of an out teen phase that is in fact already a man full of responsibilities in life, always putting his fragile family (well, whats left of it) upfront his own life. Discovering and admitting who he really is.

Some say that Shawn (the older one and love of the main character) was too much patient but you know when we recognize in the other "a right one" in special in the harsh circunstances that the he lived. Patience in a relation is mandatory, of course when there's love.

The movie is about love and care .. and shows it 100% Its a movie for anyone, not only for gays ;) don't miss it.
34 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this