IMDb > CJ7 (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cheung gong 7 hou

CJ7 More at IMDbPro »Cheung gong 7 hou (original title)

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Wow!

Author: imdb1 from Amsterdam
5 April 2008

This is a very good movie. I have laughed out loud and cried real tears, and that doesn't happen often! There are elements in the movie like in Shaolin Soccer, and it has some of Gremlins. Not everything that happens is possible (like in Shaolin Soccer), but that doesn't disturb the slightest, on the contrary, it's very funny. The young boy is a very good actor; amazingly so (he appears to be at most 10 years old). If anything is wrong with movie then it's that it's too short. I wish it was twice as long! I can highly recommend to watch this with children, but don't let them watch alone, as it contains a very sad scene that might need some hugging to get through.

A great film for kids and their parents!

Author: jaffacake2k from United Kingdom
5 May 2008

Let me start by saying that this film isn't in English so make sure you watch a version dubbed into English if you happen to be watching with children.

Im 41 years old yet this film provoked me into both laughing out aloud and softly shedding a tear or two. It certainly hits the mark. Don't expect anything too sophisticated - this is a simple story told through the eyes of a child.

All of the acting is competent and Jiao Xu steals every scene he's in. CJ7 is adorable and I can only image there will be a soft toy/animatronic on the Asian market by the time you read this.

Well worth the 90mins of your life! 10/10

It's kid movie, but a pretty good one

Author: sun_jot
3 February 2008

Stephen Chow has brought many good films and never let die hard fans down for once. Yet I find it pretty hard to comment on this new work from Chow esp. after 3 year long waiting. There was plenty of joy while watching it, but it's not what I expected. If I have to summarize , then probably tiny bit slapstick + kiddish scenes + Chinese ET + family theme = CJ7

If you love shaolin soccer and kungfu hustle, you may feel very different about CJ7, even disappointed, because it feels almost nothing like a Chow movie, except for some very funny jokes. Sure you will still laugh at few scenes where dark humor or hard jokes fly around. The story is no longer serious or ambitious, it's simply about a kid who discovered a new alien cute friend and learned the meaning of life.

After many years, I think Stephen Chow finally can sit down and build a story of his own without worrying about film market or what other people may think.This time he is not even the leading actor in this film. No Kungfu, no strange costumes, no play-like-a-fool jokes, it's pure imagination for kids, maybe one of Chow's dream when he was a child.

I don't plan to spoil any more details , but I have to warn those who haven't seen this movie but very looked forward to seeing it. It's a movie that aims for young audience and it's not any movie like shaolin soccer or kungfu hustle(well, some part still yes, same enjoyable maybe). If you don't mind watching a family/feel good movie, or specially you have children to go with, don't hesitate to see it. It will be worth the one and half hour of your life.

You will not laugh like an idiot, but I am sure you will still smile like a fool.

A Nutshell Review: CJ7

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
6 February 2008

It's been a long and almost 3 year wait for the coming of Stephen Chow's new movie CJ7, on the heels of his international success with Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, both of which were adapted/parodied/copied in the other two competitive movies this holiday season in Kung Fu Dunk and Ah Long Pte Ltd. If imitation is the best form of flattery, that goes to show who's the boss and who calls the shots in the innovation and creativity departments, that there's only one force to be reckoned with in drafting comedy that appeals to the world.

You might think that I'm singing praises of Chow and his works, but yes, that's the skyrocket high expectations that he had built for himself over the years with his rapid fire mo-lei-tau (nonsensical) comedic movies entertaining the masses pre and post 1997 Hong Kong, and now he can afford to take his time in releasing his movies once they pass through his perfectionist quality control. Sitting through CJ7, I had initially thought that it was amongst his weaker works, but then came the final act, which while it was emotionally manipulative, I cannot deny that I both laughed and cried at the same time, which is extremely rare, and only pulled off by Chow's knack of structuring his scenes.

Chow has shown his pedigree in becoming a good storyteller. If he is not already being considered one, then CJ7 is a sign of better things to come, as slowly, it can be seen that he's giving up his presence on screen, and turning his attention to behind the camera instead. Even with movies like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, while he was the lead actor, he still made room for his supporting casts to shine through.

This time though, he had totally taken the backseat and gave the spotlight to the child actress Xu Jiao who plays Dicky, the son (yes you read that right) of Chow's construction worker character Ti. Being poor, Ti works extremely hard to send his son to a premier school to receive a good education, in the hopes that he will be able to break out of the poverty circle in time to come. But in being in an elite school, Dicky becomes automatic fodder for rich school bullies, who look down on him because of his social status. Much of the movie dwells on this schoolyard politicking, and with Ti trying hard to impart good principles to his son that it becomes somewhat repetitive.

In trying to pacify his son who yearns for the latest toy in town, a high-tech robotic dog called CJ1, Ti goes back to his favourite haunt, the junkyard, and picks up a green ball outfitted with an antenna, as a replacement toy. Without his knowing of course, this ball turns out to be an alien lifeform, and Dicky soon uncovers that it has magical abilities. Christened CJ7, much of the laughs come from CJ7 and Dicky, in the form of spoofs ranging from Mission: Impossible 2 to Asian fare like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and also takes a spin from Chow's previous 2 movies.

But don't expect the jokes to be of the mo-lei-tau type, as there aren't that many jokes to begin with. Gone are the days of laugh-a-minute type comedy from Stephen Chow. While toilet humour is still quite staple, Chow seemed to have embraced special effects even more this time, starting with a totally animated CJ7, which has "cute" plastered all over it, making it a delight amongst the young and the female audience. I tell you, if it's not already available, someone should make the plush toy right now and milk it for all it's worth. Most of the jokes and fun sequences were spruced up by special effects, but there were a moment or two which I felt was quite unnecessary.

In most ways, CJ7 isn't really your typical outright comedy. By the end of it, I thought its dramatic moments were tugging at the heartstrings, as I mentioned earlier, and indeed this somehow represents a shift by Chow to a somewhat different territory, building up his movie with comedy being peripheral or secondary to the main plot. There are moments of fun balanced by moments which are touching, episodes of the ridiculous balanced by episodes which made you reflect. And any more which features great songs, get my vote of approval too, with Boney M's Sonny getting plenty of airplay, and I Love Chopin coming on at just the very appropriate moment.

However, what is still suspect though, is Chow's ability to weave more flesh into what are essentially flower vase roles in the female characters who play opposite him as love interests. With Shaolin Soccer, Vicky Zhao was unfortunately quite pedestrian, and with Kung Fu Hustle, the scope given to Huang Shengyi was worse. Kitty Zhang continues the trend as good looking teacher Mrs Yuen, who takes pity on Dicky, but nothing more.

Having seen all the Lunar New Year movie premieres for this week, I can safely say CJ7 came out tops, because it had a lot more moments in the movie that makes it family friendly entertainment, and yet imparting and giving out reminders of good values that will almost certainly rub off on the young, and the young at heart. Not at his best, but Chow delivers yet another crowd pleaser, for sure. Recommended!

Truly wonderful story, humorously narrated

Author: Yano Zeng from United States
2 April 2008

For someone like me, born and raised in China in a poor family, Chow's work was absolutely fantastic! CJ-7 constantly reminds me of those poorly happy times I have spent with my friends and family during my childhood, flashing to my mind those very basic and simplistic values of living to an average Chinese boy like myself. Nostalgic with a touch of humor, to me this movie is simply a 10 star hit! But, viewing it from a more literal perspective, people will see this work as "the same old stuff"... over and over again... that is true, from the use of mo lei tau comedy to computer CG, Chow has not made any improvements not to mention innovation ever since his "Shaolin Soccer" world class movie debut. This generally deducted the 2 stars from the rating.

But compared with a lot of the 3rd rated movies released in 2008 out there, this is sure worth the time!

Great movie

Author: marvinmartian from France
26 April 2008

Once again, Stephen Chow delivers a movie which is both funny and clever.

From the acting which is amazing (the young actor is incredible) to the special effects which are by far some of the best I've seen recently.

The movie's funny when it comes to the situations which are sometimes just unbelievable but it is also very kind and tender when it shows the relationships between father and son.

This movie can be seen by children or parents and you will all fall in love with CJ7.

It is well worth a trip to the theater (if it's released where you are) or to a shop near you . I'll buy it right away when it gets released on DVD.

Good job, Mr Chow !

Great story, acting and humour made this my first 10!

Author: ianmutimer from United Kingdom
3 February 2008

I saw this movie last night (i live in Taiwan) and before, if i highly enjoyed a movie and told people how good it was, their high expectations could make a movie less funny, you know what i mean? Anyway I'll praise the heck out of it coz i loved it and Stephen Chow has a great sense of humour! The movie is basically about a young boy and his father, who are poor but uphold good morals and ethics (we may be poor, but we don't steal, fight etc.). The father is a construction worker and doesn't want his kid to wind up like him, so the boy attends a very expensive high class school, but to compensate they live in a falling apart building and his father gets all his clothes etc. from the garbage dump. One day the father finds something there that he gives to his son, this (CJ7) changes their lives, for the better. I know that's probably what every review says! but i don't want to say to much as I'll probably ruin the beauty of it all! I will say that there are some scenes that nearly made me cry i as laughing so much. It's subtle things that do it, like the teacher won't let the poor student boy near him because he thinks he's so dirty! And the boy's a great little actor, cracked me up. Unfortunately i have yet to view S.Chow's other flicks, but i'm about to. I hope you'll get a chance to watch it.

Absolutely adorable

Author: Robin Cook from USA
15 August 2008

I just finished watching this film and just loved it. It's done intelligently very well so an oldie like myself enjoyed it probably as much as children. The little CJ7 character was really adorably creative in it's design and the cgi animations done outstandingly.

Yes, I got out a hankie to wipe my cheeks down from one of the most touching and endearing scenes (even though I had anticipated it coming, but didn't expect I'd get so emotional over it!). Very touching and sweet ... and in a very good way.

The story was well played out with the youngster learning there is more important things in life than his own selfish wants, and his Father had taught him good values of integrity, respect and morals. CJ7's role was akin to a magical subconscious compelling him to do the right thing(s), and that sometimes one makes a choice for an unselfish ultimate sacrifice.

This was, by far, one of the best foreign children's films I've viewed in some while. Set aside the English dubbing and get past that, I recommend this one for a good feeling viewing experience.

What a Gem!

Author: dmills9 from Alberta, Canada
29 September 2008

Funny and moving, in different parts and just really appealing. Who doesn't like boy-and-his-dog stories? Well, with this interesting sci-fi twist it adds humor and adventure and makes the story more than the usual.

Definitely one of the funniest things is what he IMAGINES the 'dog' can do versus the reality. (You'll have to watch to find out.) My family and I were laughing our heads off.

I accidentally rented this, not realizing it would be in a foreign language. I do not speak Cantonese, but I don't think this effected my enjoyment to a great degree. And it didn't effect my children's enjoyment either, as I read the subtitles aloud to them and we laughed along to much of the movie together.

There were a couple moments that I thought were lame, but they didn't weigh down the otherwise great acting and inventive script.

It was completely worth my time and I'd absolutely watch it again. (And by the way, non-Cantonese parents, this is a way you may not have thought of before, to show your children that reading can be fun. We may do it again, and this time on purpose!)

A children's movie with a little something for adults as well

Author: windnature from United States
7 March 2008

I saw this movie as part of a free screening in New York City, and I have to say that, even though the movie is extremely geared toward children, many people in the all-adult audience (including myself) seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.

This film is unmistakably a Stephen Chow movie, with all of the requisite sight gags and overdone physical humor (not that the latter is a bad thing). However, far from being a straight comedy like "Kung Fu Hustle," this movie veers a little bit into drama (not much, since the drama elements are quite formulaic and easily recognizable by anyone over the age of 12). However, I think that, as a whole, these elements combine with the comedic elements to create a good, if not short, movie.

"CJ7" can probably best be described as a Hong Kong "Flubber." Again, it's designed mainly for children (especially those young enough to beg their parents for their very own cute little CJ7 toy). However, for the adults dragged along by their kids to this movie, there's enough there to keep them interested as well. The storyline seems to flow reasonably well, and there's just enough of a hint of moralization thrown into the mix to keep it from just being a "from point A to point B" movie with nothing in between.

The ending, however, does leave a little bit to be desired. While not necessarily bad or detracting from the movie, it ends a bit after it should have. Again, though, because it's a children's movie, it's very easy to see why it ended the way that it did.

Overall, I have to say that I enjoyed "CJ7" very much. Its blend of comedy and drama works very well, while retaining more than a hint of Stephen Chow that keeps audiences coming back to his movies.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]