IMDb > The Third Wave (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Third Wave

The Third Wave More at IMDbPro »

Highlight of 2007 Tribeca Film Festival! Loved this Doc and can't wait to see it in theaters again!

Author: danwfountain-1 from New York City
30 December 2007

I worked as one of the filmmaker coordinators for The 2007 Tribeca Film Festival and I had the pleasure of working with the director and producers, assisting them in making the rounds with this great documentary. I can't say enough good things about what these people so selflessly did to help the Sri Lankan people after the Tsunami and I can't begin to tell you how moved I was by the film. In the last several years we have been inundated by dark, desperate films about war and strife and I have to admit that it was such a relief to spend two hours watching this small group of volunteers put a little hope and light in to the world of these people. After the first screening the sold out audience didn't leave their spots after the standing ovation because I think we were all a little disappointed that we would have to step out in to our world and say goodbye to this group of volunteers that we all wished we had had the courage to join! I saw the film three times more over the next week and the audiences reactions only got better as the buzz grew.

I got word that The Third Wave will be hitting theaters this Spring and when it does I highly recommend you check it out. You'll be very happy you did. Trust me, watching this amazing, at some times heartbreaking journey will make you question what you are doing to contribute to the world. When I spoke to the director, Ms. Thompson, about this she simply said we all have our way of contributing. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I may lack the heart and courage that she and her fellow volunteers had to drop it all and help spread some much needed love.

Hats off to you, Alison, and the rest of your crew for sharing your work with us. The audiences from Tribeca know what we are in store for in the months to come.

Dan Fountain

this film moved me to action

Author: randysl
23 December 2007

I was fortunate to have caught this film at the most recent Tribeca Film festival. The movie chronicles the efforts of a group of volunteer's who gathered in Sri Lanka after the devastating tsunami of 2004. The story is delicately woven in an intricate patchwork of at once gut-wrenching and uplifting moments. I must say that I was taken aback by the altruistic effort of the group of volunteers that were featured in this documentary. This film is a testament to the strength and kindness of the human spirit but more importantly inspires the viewer to action. The film inspired me personally to participate humanitarian efforts both in North America and abroad. Bravo!

Four volunteers arrive in a Sri Lankan village after the tsunami.

Author: Hondo7 from United States
23 December 2007

I have seen "The Third Wave" twice and I will see it over and over again. In addition to its qualities as a movie -- and there are many throughout -- it contains a very powerful message that by the end packs an emotional wallop. "Everyone is needed," indeed, when it comes to volunteering, to help people who cannot help themselves because of profound misfortune and tragedy. In the case of the village of Peraliya in Sri Lanka portrayed in "The Third Wave," it was the devastating tsunami of December 26, 2004 that obliterated the coastal region of that country. There is no hiding the grief, but the film also is a story of hope and love. Still, it is very important for potential viewers to understand that this is a damn fine movie and the message is weaved into it. There is not a soapbox in "The Third Wave"; there is an intense film-watching experience and along the way you have a better recognition of what "love thy neighbor" means.

There are few more inspiring films than The Third Wave

Author: dannypeary from United States
17 December 2007

In giving "The Third Wave" my highest rating, I have no problem in disclosing that I am friends with its remarkable director Alison Thompson. Did our friendship influence my great admiration for her documentary? Not at all. In fact, we became friends after I was awed by the movie at the Tribeca Film Festival and wanted very much to interview Thompson to post on a web site so that other people would know about "The Third Wave." All filmmakers and every fan of documentaries will be excited by the guerrilla, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants camera-work--where the camera seems to be exploring and documenting on its own, and anything or anybody can venture in front of the lens. But much more significant is that every movie fan, every human being, will experience an immense emotional impact watching Thompson and her volunteer cohorts, in an exotic far-away land, try to lessen heartbroken tragedy with kindness, selflessness, and good will--and to see the broken people they're trying to help love them back or--in scenes with a "Lord of the Flies" feel-turn against them. While the money we sent to Indonesia after the tsunami got "lost" in transit, the volunteers sent themselves to nurse (Alison set up a hospital and in her spare time collected the bones of tsunami victims) and rebuild and teach. These humanitarians are fascinating, as are the people they encounter in Piralya, the village they bring back to life in Sri Lanka. Talk about role models and saints, forget the heroes played by actors in fictional epics in theaters and watch this little movie for the real deal, a four-person emergency peace corps who went to the disaster area for two weeks and stayed for two extraordinary years--the least we viewers can do is watch Alison Thompson and company work miracles for not even two hours. Danny Peary

Seen this movie at the film festival

Author: murrayvideo from United States
14 December 2007

I seen this film at the film festival and it really moved me, I loved it. Some parts even made me cry because it was so sad. A lot of people died and thanks to the producer and crew who chipped in and helped the people, a lot of lives were saved. Its amazing how far people will go to help other people. I loved it so much that I saw it twice. If you haven't seen this movie yet I highly recommend it but I recommend that you bring tissue because I am sure that you will shed a tear for these poor people struck by a disaster. This film will bring back your faith in humanity. I have seen some of the other works of Alison Thomson and she is amazing. MURRAYVIDEO

Inspiring struggle to repair a tsunami ravaged village

Author: Richard Scott from Cronulla, Australia
3 January 2008

Where did all the billions in aid go? Not to this village. This is a wonderful raw and honest film that will make you laugh and cry. The inspiring efforts of this team of people that were thrust together by their common desire to be on the ground helping make you want to clap out loud or pack your bags. The cultural insight is captivating as these people struggle to repair their lives with the help of Alison, Oscar and the team. While the village parents squabble over petty matters the children start to shine becoming a major part of the film. This is the film about the people that actually did get out of their chair and do something. You will feel inspired.

I've never seen a film get 4 standing ovations before!

Author: lightxox from United States
26 December 2007

I was dragged along to the Tribeca film festival by a client and ended up happy about that as almost immediately I was sitting at the edge of my seat. The film is a riveting story about 4 unlikely volunteers who have no money or experience but end up doing it all by using common sense and love. It affected me so much I had to go and have a shot of whiskey after the film. When the movie ended people stood up to clap and they didn't stop and then they got up 3 more times. I felt like I was at a rock concert and was wondering when was the last time or anytime I had done that in a movie? After an hour of 'Question and Answers' people still had questions but management threw us out ready for the next film. I think I will try and go and see more Independent movies and I think I will start trying to help more. Thanks Spurlock good eye for this one!

Awesome film...eye opening, heart felt and full of wonderful moments

Author: suzanscott1 from Australia
26 December 2007

Wow! It's not often that you come across a film like this. You know the ones where you walk away stunned and full of emotion then it hits you deeper than you ever thought possible because the film was based on real life events? From the start right through to the finish this film is full of colourful characters and heartfelt stories. This film gently captures the events of a small coastal village just after the Tsnumai hit. It follows through to the moments when the village is finally self sufficient again. I won't spoil the fun but the stories of the village people and the international volunteers are priceless. Totally recommend seeing this one!

This film had 5 sold out shows at Tribeca FF it was hard to buy a ticket!

Author: ucandoit4 from United States
27 December 2007

I read about this film in the New York Times Tribeca pull out and tried to get tickets but every show was sold out. I finally got three to the last screening and was very happy I made the effort. The film had a deep impact on my two other friends and we talked about it for 3 hours over dinner that night and then later for a few more hours!! It stays in your head. The message really got to us and made us think about helping more in the future. We are so stuck in our busy lives idolizing actors and sportsmen as our heroes and they aren't really real heroes. The real ones are in docs like this. After the screening the filmmakers talked in a humble way of spreading the volunteer message to the world and how everyone was needed to help including bankers, lawyers and actors and singers and musicians and every type of job. Kudos to Morgan Spurlock for finding this gem, he was already a hero of mine for helping me lose 55 pounds due to eating junk food!

This film has led me to do something good for others.

Author: krn-elder from United States
23 March 2008

Am not sure what to write. I saw the film in L.A festival with friends and was not expecting anything but some entertainment. I got more. I feel like this film has led me to do something good for other people. I'm not sure what yet. It took a few days for the film to sink into my head and heart and then I started calling everyone talking about it with them. Then they all wanted to see it. I recommend this film to anyone of any age. And after you see it take your kids they will learn many of life's valuable lessons from it. I want to see it again but i'm not sure where. The people in it are average people like us all who end up going off to help in a big way out of a simple thought but in this we see they are real humble heroes unlike the ones we make up and idolize in movies like Spiderman but real heroes.