IMDb > Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 23: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

a++++

Author: rick_trautman
10 February 2013

this movie was great!! if you have seen the first film or even played the video game, then this this is for you, story line stays with the series to the t, the plot is easy to understand not hard to follow, the actors aren't top main actors but i think that made it better, it's Strong Lead has talent she showed passion and feeling in her role, making it believable and easy to connect with, the rest of the cast were known but not huge, bur supported the lead excellent, the special Fx were visually appealing and made the movie all that much better,the story is interesting and captivating, action and thrills from the start, all in all i give this movie 4.5 joints up,,,, I highly recommend this film, and would say that if you have to pay you will get your money's worth....

Terrible. Just...terrible...

Author: danny-boy-112-369951 from United States
4 February 2013

Terrible writing. Terrible dialogue. Terrible acting from the two principal characters. Not only was the script fatally flawed in that it was internally inconsistent, but it fails in key, fundamental ways to jibe with what had already been well established in the first film. In addition, the narrative is uneven, incongruent, and choppy. The storytelling was so utterly formulaic as to be skull-%&@*ingly boring---a litany of missed opportunities and pure laziness on the part of Writer/Director Michael J. Bassett, who has forever ruined the franchise. Could someone have done any worse of a job blowing a budget of millions of dollars and producing a big steaming pile of crap if they'd actually tried to screw it up? That's a tough one... I had been so looking forward to this sequel. I am disappointed beyond the telling of it.

Why all the bad reviews?!?!

Author: millie bird from Australia
1 February 2013

Silent hill revelation was quite fantastic in my opinion. I mean, sure, it isn't exactly the same as the game but who really cares. Its only LOOSELY based on the game. Just think of it as a new brand of silent hill or, don't even think of it as a silent hill game.I really enjoyed the movie. It had good effects, good atmosphere, good cast and a pretty good story. I have played all the games and i didn't want to spoil this one for myself so as i was watching it i just didn't compare to the games at all. I was only disappointed that the movie wasn't longer than i thought. Silent hill revelation deserves to be rated more than five stars. It is one of the only good movies to be based on a game and they cant do everything according to the game. We need to cut the directors some slack. Its not like they have an unlimited budget and i think its terrific what they have done. It could have been a lot worse. Than what it turned out to be. So in conclusion, silent hill revelation is a great movie sequel with good graphics, monsters, scenery and acting. I recommend this movie to anyone

Stop! Please Stop!

Author: danielhdoro from Brazil
23 January 2013

Honestly, I don't believe there's anyone more fond of the Silent Hill Game Series than me and, by that, I mean specially the first 3, which are the ones that the movies are based on. And I'm not saying that to brag or something, just to justify that I may be going a little too hard on the review, but I ain't gonna forgive a mess like the movies were. I've not only played every single game several times, but I studied the whole story. In fact I bought myself "Silent Hill: The Book of Memories" which explains it all. Well, the Silent Hill game saga is a masterpiece and should be treated as such. So it hurts when Hollywood amateurs try to make a movie adaptation and ruin the whole story for the game fans. First of all, I would say that "Silent Hill: Revelations" movie plot was a waste of scenario, 3D effects and even characters looks. I'm saying that, cause the scenario was so perfect, so much like the game, the characters and their outfits resembled so much of the game characters, and again, effects like the nurses, Pyramid Head (awesome)and the first nightmare (so good), were also well done. But all that in a shitty plot, just made the greatest waste of an awesome opportunity. They had it all. Heather, and Douglas were just like in the game. Silent Hill scenario plus the fog and the ashes were awesomely perfect. In fact, the scene when Heather first enters Silent Hill made me think they had a cut scene from the game included in the movie. But what a mess: - Vincent has a whole uninteresting and different story from the game. Also, teenager romance in Silent Hill? Please, kill yourself. - The immense effort to connect with the history of the first movie. Jesus! Leave it! The first one's story was a mistake, so leave it be. Start over! What was that with the mirror!? Poor Sean Bean! Hope he has been well payed cause that was a dent in his career. - They gave Douglas like 7 lines to say, a main character on the game, . And had him completely disconnected from the story. - Harry Mason's death, by the Missionary (the one that fought Pyramid Head on the movie! -.-' Yeah! I'll get to that), is exactly the motivation for half of the game story. Is what makes Heather eager for revenge. It's crucial goddammit! Don't take that away! - Leonard Wolf!!!! What the hell was that? He has one of the most interesting stories of the game and when Heather meets him, he is already a monster. - Dahlia Gillespie! She's long gone mate! Don't bring her back! Also, she is evil! Don't try to make her look good! - Claudia! I'm not even sure what to say, cause her participation on the movie was minimal... LOL, and that thing of her being the Missionary!? Dear God. I'm getting angry just by writing this. - What the hell are those human masked enemies in Silent Hill!? You do know that a silent hill is supposed to be silent and lonely right? By the way, the psychological terror in the game relies on the premise that the main character is always alone! ALONE! Not with some random blond cheer chick inexplicably wandering around Silent Hill, a city that barely shows on the map. - Now... Pyramid Head is one of my favorite characters of games. And he was well played and graphically perfect. But he is an executioner in Silent Hill, he doesn't stand on anyone's side. He has nothing to do with Sheryl, Heather, or Alessa. What was that of him fighting the Missionary, which never was, or will ever be the true form of Claudia. In a nut shell: The movie is crap The plot is crap The script is crap

I'll give it 2 stars for the scenario, soundtrack (Which was just taken from the game) and characters resemblance.

The creatures and effects carry the movie. The rest, not so much...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
23 January 2013

"Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" is another example of how sequels usually fail to deliver with the same amount of impact and force as the original first movie did.

The story in "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" is fairly mediocre, nothing out of the ordinary, and it does sort of come off as it being an attempt to make soup from the broth they used to make "Silent Hill". The story doesn't really offer much to the Silent Hill universe, except for a few bits and pieces of information.

What make this movie worth watching was the mood throughout the movie, and the special effects. As with the first movie, then they really managed to create a spooky setting and a place where you don't want to be caught out in the open when the darkness comes. It was genuinely a disturbing place, which worked out really well for the movie.

And the creatures found in the mysterious town of Silent Hill were also nicely made, just as in the first movie. Personally, I do enjoy these type of movies with grotesque creatures that you get to see up close and personal, and it is especially enjoyable when you get to see them in proper lighting, and not in perpetual darkness as many horror movies tend to do. The variety and design of the monstrous creatures in "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" were great, and they alone make the movie worthwhile watching.

And that leads us to the acting, and the people on the cast list. The acting was not doing the movie any justice at all, and it was mediocre at best. Which just goes to prove that "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" is the type of movie you watch for the effects and not for the acting or the people in the movie.

"Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" doesn't reach its predecessor in any way, but given the effects, the mood, the atmosphere and the creatures, then it is well worth watching if you are into these type of supernatural horror movies.

A Video Game Movie Done Right

Author: darkraven_109 from Manila, Philippines
29 November 2012

The first SILENT HILL (2006) was an exception amongst the video-game based movies out there; it was actually a decent adaptation of a well known property and it worked as a stand alone movie. I have the movie to thank for introducing me to the video game franchise so now armed with some experience in the games and a fairly good understanding of the SILENT HILL mythos, I went to the (delayed international) release of SILENT HILL REVELATION and I was not disappointed.

The movie does a good job of picking up years after where last movie ended without making it hard for anyone new to the franchise catch up. It's a simple story though it could get a bit too clichéd at times. Every now and then, the characters say some really cheesy lines which can make pretty much anyone who's seen a lot of movies either sigh or cringe. The romantic aspect of the film isn't really handled well, which was a waste since individually, the actors of Heather and Vincent were pretty decent but when they had to act like a couple, it always fell flat.

A major problem with the movie was the overlying feeling that it was rushed. I don't know if a good number of scenes were deleted in the scripts but it seemed that way. Many of the side characters were introduced only to be forgotten or unceremoniously killed off after maybe a minute of screen time and this was a glaring flaw for me. With acting talent like Malcolm Macdowell and Carrie Anne-Moss in the movie, it was a sad waste that their characters were given less than five minutes of screen time. The emotional factor of the first film was also lost due to the brisk take on the story, which is a large loss for the sequel. The movie would've greatly benefited if its running time was almost as long as the first movie (which clocked at nearly two hours).

Beyond these, the movie manages to make up for these flaws and deliver a fun horror ride of a movie that serves as both a good adaptation of a video game and a stand alone horror. The scares are spot on with the creatures never failing to either disturb or outright creep you out (coming from SILENT HILL this is to be expected) and the sets delivering the right atmosphere of the games. It's nice to note that the movie was done with a budget of almost $20 million only and also the fact that majority of the creature effects were practical ones; the crew behind the visuals of the monstrosities and the titular town deserve praise for making a nightmare come to life with a relatively small budget.

The cast, despite a few of the aforementioned flaws, pull of their roles pretty well; definitely not Oscar level but more than decent for a video game based movie. The story from start to finish is quite thrilling, just as it should be. While it does solve too many of its conflicts in a matter of seconds, it was done in such a way that it isn't that obvious. It takes you on a linear ride that doesn't choose to segway into too many subplots and the like and this was a good choice on part of the writers (with the amount of underused people, subplots may have muddled the pacing).

Video-game based movies are almost always destined to be bad but SILENT HILL: REVELATION manages to, like it predecessor, stay above the crap. It makes itself an exception amongst the others and even works as a stand-alone. The movie could've benefited from a longer running time for character development and investment in the story but it manages to keep itself afloat with good direction and decent story-telling. Whether you're a fan of the games or just someone out for horror movies, give this movie a shot. It's not the best of the lot but it's definitely worth seeing.

Came nowhere near as good as the first...

Author: MrTravisL from Michigan, United States
14 November 2012

I want to give a simple review. If your happy and loved the first movie (as I did) then do not see this. At the end of number one it gives you a feeling of "man there are so many questions unanswered, but it was such a good movie that they would have to make the second one JUST RIGHT to not wreck the story". Well they wrecked the story... I am not going to go into all the horribly wrong stuff there is in it, so I will just name the things I thought were "cool". Pyramid head is a bit more active than in number 1. The movie gives a lot of little "easter eggs" to many different silent hill games, and I mean, who doesn't like to see a few easter eggs!?

Welcome Back to Silent Hill!

Author: suneilangel
7 November 2012

Let's get one thing straight - this movie will not get the best movie of the year award, not by a long shot. And it definitely will not win the hearts of gamers as the Best Adaptation of a Video game. But what it does well, is stay close to its source material as much as possible.

The first Silent Hill was a noteworthy attempt. It tried to stay true to the original source material but messes up by introducing it's own take on the story. It worked (kinda!) well but it falls flat on its face in the sequel. It's too complicated. I won't give away too much details but the movie tries best to wrap up Heather's storyline and chuck's in a neat details in the end. This may be the end of the series for Heather/Sharon but Chris/Harry's storyline could be just beginning and also the sweet reference to Downpour in the end was also respectable.

The story follows Heather who is on the run with her father Chris/Harry to avoid a cult that is living in the nightmarish world of Silent Hill. They want to get rid of the evil that plagues them but waking up a god or something. That's all you need to know, believe it or not. It's not because I'll spoil anything but because I didn't get the rest but trust me, that's enough.

Silent Hill: Revelation looks beautiful, and even more in 3D. Depth of field has been utilized well and there are also some moments when a few chopped up fingers will fly at your face. But the contrast between light and darkness is constantly maintained throughout the film that create an ambiance of chaos and horror when the film truly kicks off.

Acting is also OK, with the lead actress Adelaide Clemens shining. The rest did their part like they should have done, nothing awesome.

The music of Akira Yamoaka is present in the film. No new tracks, the ones from the first film which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Now the big issue: is the movie scary? That's a mixed bag. I wasn't scared a lot but my friends who I went to see the film with, one of them were screaming in theater. For me, it was not scary, just exhilarating - set-pieces created tension but they were not scary and some were predictable.

My grips are with the story of the film that is a bit confusing, absence of original scares (Silent Hill is based on a scary film), weak Alessa/Heather battle that could have been the highlight of the film and that psychological twist that the original source had.

Overall, if you want a scary horror movie, pass this one. This is more of an adventure film set in a dark scary world. But if you are a fan of the games, you'll love your return to the dark twisted world of Silent Hill.

Great enough for a Halloween movie, but no box office hit.

Author: esperanzamunoz29 from United States
4 November 2012

Today was my first day off for the week, and after looking over the different types of movies playing I was forced to choose Silent Hill Revelation. To be honest it wouldn't have been my first choice, especially not in 3D. I am very critical of all these movies coming out in 3D and only think a few can actually pull it off. Anyway, the beginning of the movie was really smooth. It dove right into the darkness of Silent Hill that we were all familiar with but with a new face. I wasn't exactly sure who this Heather Mason girl was and if she was the same girl from the first Silent Hill but luckily they made sure to explain that right away. I'd like to give Silent Hill kudos for adding more darkness and "spice" than the original one. This movie gets a 7 because there were a few things I was disappointed with. Heather Mason ends up getting a love interest but there's not enough growth to actually make it make sense. I wish Sean Bean had more scenes as he is a great actor. All in all it was good enough to keep me entertained for an hour and a half.

Movie From Hell

Author: gulhizyuksek from United States
19 July 2013

If you are a horror movie lover, silent hill fan, or watching just to see how Sean Bean dies next, you will be disappointed with this film. I watched it because the first movie was decent and I enjoyed the first three games but this movie is so poorly written and executed it will make you question why you haven't turned it off yet. Its hard to comprehend how the producers could trust such a franchise and follow up to such an incompetent director. Everything about the look of the movie is bad: The story is stupid, the directing is amateur, the acting is poor, the special effects are for 90s television, and there are new monsters that aren't even half as good as what was in the game. Even great monsters from the first movie like the nurses and Pyramid Head were ruined here and overdone. This movie could be the worst movie I have ever seen/fast forwarded through. Please heed the warnings and stay away from Silent Hill Revelations.