IMDb > Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 22: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

I'd put it up there with the classic slasher films of the 80s like the 'A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET' and 'HELLRAISER' franchises!

Author: Hellmant from United States
30 October 2012

'SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D': Four Stars (Out of Five)

3D sequel to the 2006 horror film based on the popular survival horror video game of the same name. It was written and directed by Michael J. Bassett and is based on the 'Silent Hill 3' video game. The film centers on the heroine's daughter from the first film, Sharon, who's now a young teen and lives with her father while constantly on the run from a ruthless cult. The cult wants Sharon back in the nightmarish alternate dimension world of 'Silent Hill', where her mother is still trapped. Radha Mitchell, who starred in the first film, only has a cameo in this chapter. Sean Bean and Deborah Kara Unger also reprise their roles from the first movie. They're joined by Adelaide Clemens, Kit Harington, Carrie-Ann Moss, Martin Donovan and Malcolm McDowell. Horror fans are sure to be pleased with this installment as well as fans of the video games (I've heard). I haven't played the games but being just a fan of artistic imaginative horror I thought it was quite an achievement.

Heather (Clemens) is now turning 18 and after being on the run with her father, Harry (Bean), for many years he goes missing. She's never fully understood who she is and why her father and her have been running from town to town. She doesn't remember 'Silent Hill' but has been tortured by nightmares of it for years. She soon discovers that the people of the alternate dimension town want her back. Her mom (Mitchell) has been captive there for years and now her father is as well. A young man named Vincent (Harington) who grew up in 'Silent Hill' has been sent to our world to help bring Heather back. Vincent is not a bad guy of course though and sees Heather's true beauty, so the two join forces in surviving 'Silent Hill' and unraveling it's mysteries.

The film is like a true nightmare and is played out in beautifully grotesque elaborate detail; the set design, effects and 3D are all spectacular. It looks horrendous and really has that nightmarish feel to it. I'd put it up there with the classic slasher films of the 80s like the 'A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET' and 'HELLRAISER' franchises. It's every bit as creative and grotesque. The acting is all decent and the directing is fitting. The story is a little too rushed and fast paced but I've read it's really faithful to the video games and gives the fans just what they want to see. I know nothing about the games but I did like the original 'SILENT HILL' movie and would put this second installment right up there with it. It's a classic B slasher film done right.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9BHpPUnE8

Couldn't it have been longer?

Author: bearfaceproductions from Puerto Rico
25 October 2012

I mean come on this movie was thrilling from the beginning to the end. non-stop horror thrill ride. I am a fan of the games and I gotta say I was really surprised with this installment based on the fact that Gans didn't direct this one. Though my only complain is the run time of the film. It felt that the script was so rushed and it was trying to cover up many story lines from the game and the first film that could leave many non-silent hill video game fans very confused, but the fan will know exactly what's going on. It was tied up nicely to the first film but left many loose ends, but it's not something a third movie couldn't fix.

For video game fans: It's just as faithful to the game as the first movie was faithful to the first game (think about it). The movie ran in the same order as it did in the video game, and contains so many references for the third game installment. As for the atmosphere it was a bit tame compared to the games, but still chilling.

The acting was pretty decent and the special effects were amazing. It's thrills it's what mostly stands out from the film, it has its scary moments and a horrifying atmosphere. It's bloodier than the first one. Though I was kinda left out with a feeling wanting for more, I wasn't satisfied enough, which is why I'm desperately calling out for another installment, I mean this franchise can be just as successful as Resident Evil.

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one too, especially if your a fan of the game. If you're not a fan of the games, then I don't think you'll get quite as much thrills as I got.

Not much here

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
2 April 2016

The original SILENT HILL, which I saw in the cinema, was a mixed bag, I thought. As a special effects piece movie, some of the CGI was pretty good, and there were some frightening moments involving the various beasties and sheer level of weird stuff going on. This sequel seems lower budgeted and less full of ideas, which is a shame as British director Michael J. Bassett handled one of the most underrated fantasy films of recent years (SOLOMON KANE).

Radha Mitchell has gone - aside from a brief cameo - and Sean Bean is in short supply here, so most of the screen time goes to the young, bland newcomers in the shape of Adelaide Clemens (forgettable) and Kit Harington (who has little of the gruff charisma he displays in GAME OF THRONES). They wander around a lot and not much really happens, aside from the usual CGI augmented spook show stuff, and it seems to take most of the running time before they finally end up back in Silent Hill. Indeed, SILENT HILL: REVELATION is so focused on offering up acceptable FX sequences that it forgets to tell a coherent storyline or indeed scare the viewer very much.

Lazy and shoddy

Author: InaneSwine from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
18 February 2016

After a fairly good first attempt at an adaptation of the Silent Hill games, this belated sequel suffers from poor acting, a shoddy plot and laughable dialogue - considering the film stops dead in its tracks on several occasions to allow lengthy monologues from characters explaining what it couldn't be bothered to show you through the story. In addition, it seems to be too heavily inspired by the more action-filled Resident Evil film franchise, with a noisy soundtrack that jars with the creepiness that made the first film work well. Though a handful of scenes are genuinely chilling and the cinematography has its beautiful moments, nothing can forgive how lazy the filmmakers are in telling this story. I'm afraid this one marks where the corpse of the Silent Hill franchise is buried.

This might be the last tour in Silent Hill.

Author: quincytheodore from Indonesia
24 October 2015

The only scary or gruesome thing about this movie is that it might be the end of Silent Hill. Yes, it's that bad, coupled that with an awful last game, Silent Hill is in all new low. Mercilessly butchering the memory of one of the best games in last gen, Silent Hill: Revelations 3D is a poor reinterpretation which fails almost in its entirety and they make sure to stomp the franchise while it's on the ground with truly horrible 3D implementation.

Any resemblance to the game is merely cosmetic. The look of protagonist, misty town, gridiron underworld, they are all practically miming the game. This may work as a screenshot, but put them in motion, it's a travesty to the title. Heather Mason (Adelaide Clemens) has the hair and clothes, yet she fumbles in times, bordering on teen angst rather than the sorrowful persona of the game. It's amazing how the game digital character could exhibit more appropriate sadness, meanwhile the real life version somewhat struggles with the delivery. It's like she's in constant lousy mood and relies too heavily on screams, which practically everyone does here.

There's also an variation of the cast, Vincent (Kit Harington), who is Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, but so Twilight here. He substitutes the private investigator part, who barely has any screen time and while I welcome changes, this one is needless and a blatant bait for teen drama. The private eye had odd relationship with Heather as they were both lost in Silent Hill, Vincent doesn't add to that, he's plain, very predictable, and can be mistaken from 90's slasher movie cast.

It's strange that there are actually some quality names here; Sean Bean, Malcolm McDowell, Carrie Anne-Moss, but they only have brief screen time and not much to go with, considering how mediocre the script and screenplay are. Sean Bean does his best for the father figure, it's not a great performance, although he is believable as the parental role. And he offers a puzzle whether he continues his tradition of dying in the movie or not as Harry Mason actually died in the game.

It'd be bearable if they only mess up that far, but the brilliant minds that made this had an epiphany: 3D. Oh god, the utter failure of it.

Effect of 3D, as we all know, can also be accompanied by the blurry and blindingly dark effect. Now, add that to a movie where the bulk of it is in darkness, you have a horrifyingly bad visual. Then there are the cheap scares, so prevalent, from monsters that scream at the screen. Everything in the movie throws, stabs, yells at the screen. I've had enough of this persistent crap in my face. And when I said everything, that includes Heather. She shines the flashlight at the audience every few minutes.

Imagine a putrid dark room, you can barely see anything, and then she flashes at your fragile eyes, repeatedly. Why the bloody hell someone would think that's a good idea is beyond common sense. All of these atrocious concepts make a visual nightmare, not in its intended goal.

To be fair, it sometimes looks and sounds like the game, albeit only seldom, and a couple of scenes are almost okay. But that's buried in piles of questionable concepts and horrific execution of them, it's more of a laughable annoyance than adaptation of once a great game. What made the game so popular was the use of details to make an atmosphere. Flashlight, radio static, camera angle and the audio made an excellent terrifying world, the movie is anything but. This might be the last tour in Silent Hill.

Enjoyable Horror Fun

Author: James Wood from United Kingdom
22 May 2015

Silent Hill: Revelation is a twisted ride into hell. It's far from a horror masterpiece, it isn't the best in the genre and it's one of the weakest films of 2012 but Revelation is packed with enough gruesome monsters and seriously sinister images to make it stand strong and worth watching. Silent Hill itself is terrifying, the siren that echo through the alleys are spine tingling and the slow camera pan movement will keep you on edge as you don't know what will jump out. The cast give admirable performances, most of which are wobbly at times but during moments of terror they up their game and they are convincing, there's no plodding along at all, and Adelaide Clemens is a fantastic lead. The monsters are impressive and scary too, the best being the mannequin spider that turns it's victims into dolls and then rips the head off to add to it's disgusting body. The 3D is spectacular too, depth is really cool and a tonne of creature guts pop out the screen, yet again the spider scene excels in this effect where the creatures mouth rips out the screen, I literally leapt back as it protrudes so effectively, a reference quality moment there. The ash scenes look stunning, because the camera is at a low angle you can follow the pathways that lye just beyond the screen. Depth can be affected during some truly murky scenes, but Overall Silent Hill: Revelation is a fun filled 3D adventure that is far better than the first film, and the further the characters venture into the ash filled fog, you will be taken with them into a horrific nightmare filled with demonic creatures.

Highly entertaining sequel effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
5 May 2015

Troubled by strange dreams, a teen and her friend go on the run from a series of strange creatures and visions which prompt her to visit a dreaded town of eternal darkness in hopes of finding an answer for her journey.

For the most part this one wasn't all that bad and really had some good parts to it. What really tends to make this one work is the fact that there's an exciting slew of scenes here that not only help with the action but also manages to help the story make more sense coming off the original which is quite surprising. Though the original does good enough with what's presented here, this one really fleshes the story out more by going all-out for the two features by managing to convey the mysterious voices in her head, her strange dreams and constant fleeting visions of shadows stalking her in the first half as being quite important to the film. Not only are they great suspense-builders at generating rather creepy scenes, they also come with a special point that's slowly revealed about her true destiny and how that all ties into the initial escape here which is quite a novel concept here at using scares to sell the story. That also leaves quite a nice balancing act in the second half as the first half tends to run more on the suspense route while the second one comes off more as an action-packed showcase with a large amount of thrilling action scenes all centered in the titular town which is the best part to this. The initial walk-through of the deserted city streets, the attempts at avoiding the patrols in the amusement park and the main sequence of her trying to get out of the underground tunnels filled with strange monsters and deformed mutants down below is really exciting and packs enough action, gory kills and fantastic visuals to make for a stand-out sequence that's wholly enjoyable while still managing to combine the earlier tactics of focusing on the action to tell the story. These are more than enough to hold off the one main flaw with this one, as it's easily the 3D workings throughout here. This is painful to watch in 3D with camera angles purposefully tilted at odd angles simply so claws, blades or tongues from the different creatures can be thrust into the screen in utterly- shoddy CGI that never looks realistic or enjoyable. It's a lame tactic that never works well and always manages to ruin the scene whenever it's featured, which makes those scenes distracting and obvious, hurting what would otherwise be a rather enjoyable entry.

Rated R: Graphic Violence, Graphic Language and Brief Nudity.

One of the worst movies ever

Author: flames-51584
16 April 2015

I'm a true silent hill fan. I played the first 4 silent hills multiple times and I have to say.. This movie is sh!t. I seriously want to forget that I watched it and just permanently erase it from my memory. The reason why this movie sucks is because:

1) Movie was boring and had no sequence of events

2) The movie did not make sense at all

3) it wasn't true to the game (again they brought Pyramid head)

4) Heather has an Australian accent, which doesn't make sense

5) it looked like a cheap movie

..... .......

134) .....

Just don't watch it....

I'm still waiting for a COMPETENT director to create a Silent Hill Restless Dreams movie. If the director knew what he/she was doing then the movie could win an Oscar..

It is pretty good

Author: jayjaymadigan from United Kingdom
5 March 2013

Let me start off, I love the first film and I love the first 4 silent hill games, revelation being an adaption of the third game, which is a direct sequel to the first game which the first movie is an adaption of, I'll start off with the bad points first then move on to what I enjoyed.

The bad: The story felt rushed, I wanted to see more of Claudia, I also felt some things were done too much as a fan service, some things didn't make sense, not as much depth as the first one, cheesy moments and 200 characters that were supposed to be important that vanish after 2 minutes of screen time (Douglas, Leonard, Claudia and Dahlia), too many flashbacks, about 20% of the film must of consisted of footage from the first one, and and it suffered from "obviously made for 3-D" syndrome, I can't watch 3D films they give me head aches.

The good: The girl playing Heather is amazing, she looks like her but is a more likable portrayal compared to the character we see in the video game, they used the original soundtrack again which I enjoy and the remixes were also good, the storyline despite being rushed was a nice conclusion to Alessas story, finally find out what happened after the mysterious ending of the first film, Pyramid head, the mannequin room scene was incredibly tense, I like how they kept Leonard Wolffs appearance from the video game when he transforms, many moments from the game were handled nicely when converted to the silver screen.

Overall: A good film, but a let down to the first one and to the video games, too much stuff was left out and it generally felt rushed and the characters needed more screen time! not bad, could of been better I hope if they make a silent hill 3, it follows the story of the second game and they keep it at the level or even surpass the first film, only watch if you're a die hard silent hill fan, or enjoyed the first film and want a conclusion to the story.

Nice Scary Movie

Author: Umut Akpınar (imdbodevi163) from Turkey
5 March 2013

It is horror film.I think, this movie has got all elements of the horror.I was watching this movie, I scared.But I like Silent Hill ; Revelation.This movie isn't dull.But ıt is predictable and violent movie.There are some outmoded parts.But like it.Un my opinion, the special effects are good.It's better than Paranormal Activity 4.It's a good.

The film stars Kit Harington and Adelaide Clemens.Adelaide Clemens (Heather / Alessa) is a beautiful and she is very good actor.She is realistic, talented and promising actor.I think, 5-6 years later, she is very famous can be a star.Kit Harington (Vincent) is a very talented actor.He is playing in The Game of Thrones and I know he.