IMDb > Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Recipe for a mediocre sequel:

Author: outofmana from United States
22 January 2013

1) A much smaller budget than the original (20 mil vs 50 mil).

2) Jump scares. The original had none because of the great story/plot which gave the entire film a terrifying & unnerving feel. This sequel is so cheesy and pretentious that in order to call itself a horror film there needs to be long quiet pauses followed by doors slamming or monsters making loud noises causing the audience jump.

3) "3D"... throw in some scenes where swords thrust out toward the audience even though this kind of gimmicky nonsense breaks any feel of authenticity the movie might have had, even when watching it without the 3D glasses.

4) Flavor of the week actor(s)... Kit Harrington from the popular HBO series "Game of Thrones" is supposedly a high school student along with the main character, but unfortunately he looks (and is) 26 years old... he just feels out of place throughout the film.

I really enjoyed the original (as well as the games) and wanted this one to be good as well. Unfortunately Silent Hill: Revelation sets out to do two things: A) Continue the story SOMEWHAT from the first film to satisfy Silent Hill fans while having characters reveal story lines piece by piece in "plot dumps" that seem forced and out of place. B) Try to make as much money as the original, but with a terrible script, less money, and MUCH less passion.

Too Short, Underdeveloped

Author: Jack Helin from United States
29 October 2012

The first half of the film was great. It was creepy, it was suspenseful, and it was almost scary (speaking as someone who considers most scary films to be dull and silly). The film did a good job of summarizing the first, and the 3D was generally well-done. So where did this film fail? Well first, the character relationships were extremely superficial, to the point where it felt like they were tacked-on or unrealistic. Some of the character motivations were also underdeveloped and made the characters come off as stupid or just hard to relate to, especially towards the end. The characters take a while to actually enter Silent Hill, and when they do the film quickly devolves from creepy moments to explaining the story, which is not particularly compelling. Obviously, the film makers had to work within the context of the original while trying to tie it into the third game, but so much of the film was devoted to characters explaining the plot that it made the film feel somewhat dull. Think of the old adage "show, don't tell". The film was overly short, and it seemed as though this was the central problem. 20 more minutes to SHOW the plot, interspersed with a few more creepy scenes, and this film could have easily surpassed the original. Alas, the director chose to keep the film succinct, and the result is that it feels rushed and the last ten or fifteen minutes feel more like a cheesy action movie than a horror film. As I said, with twenty more minutes of footage, the film could have easily been one of the scariest movies of the last 10 years, and could have had believable characters and a more expertly revealed plot. Instead, we're left with a decent movie with a few good scares.

What's with all the 1 Star votes?

Author: selfinflikted from United States
30 October 2012

Yea, so this movie wasn't exactly stellar, but I can't understand why there are so many 1 star votes for this film. I just got around to seeing this movie last night and it certainly wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, but reading some of the reviews around here (and on the critic sites) one would think this film is just a steaming pile of poop.

Well, it wasn't. The acting was decent, and I thought the lead was reasonably good. There were more "jump scares" than I would've expected, since the real horror of the games stems from atmosphere and a feeling of isolation. The monsters and CGI were passable - not great by certainly not bad by any means. The 3D was actually VERY good (maybe the best I've seen), though there were a couple of times that the use of the 3D was pretty cliché (think knives COMING RIGHT FOR YOU!!!). The only real gripe I had was with the scripting/story. I was impressed that the plot stayed as true to the games as it did, while still meshing well with the story from the first movie. I'm sure this was no easy task, but the amount of story they crammed into this film was too much considering the runtime of the movie. The exposition dialogue was REALLY cheesy at times, but I can understand the need for such when considering probably half of the target audience will have never played the games. I just would've hired a better writer.

TL;DR: Not as bad as the critics say, but certainly not the film I was hoping this to be. Worth the price of admission for 3D, as it's really well done.

Should have been called Silent Snooze

Author: saprater from Georgia, United States
4 November 2012

I absolutely love the first Silent Hill film. The flashbacks (reminiscent of how one learns the back-story in a video game) were chilling and unveiled a haunting past for little Rose/Alessa. So I went into the sequel with anticipation and an open mind, but honestly...the best part of this movie was the opening credits, which did look pretty awesome in 3D. Everything after that was just boring as heck.

The storyline just seemed to move at a snail's pace. Plus the movie relied more on startle tactics instead of horror and gross out factor like the first. The new monsters did a lot of screaming and little else. The older ones we've previously seen were treated like domesticated livestock. And all I got of my favorite character (Rose) was a 10 second exchange with another character and dialog straight out of a 1.99 Harlequin Romance novel. Ugh! I actually had to wake myself up in the middle of this film. The only other time I've fallen asleep was back in the 90's with Blue Chips. It'd be a toss up as to which I'd be willing to sit through again. Oh, and the gal was NOT as good or creepy as the original Alessa/Sharon kid. Could they not afford to hire that one back again or something?

And I really think it was the wrong move to go with a film so dedicated to the video game. Tossing out things like magical totems and demon gods...it just didn't translate to film well. The first one made sense without having to have played the game. The plot for this one seemed too B-movie, especially if you weren't a player.

Stop... Please, just stop.

Author: John Faraday from England
27 October 2012

I'm going to forget for a second that I've played Silent Hill, I'm going to switch off my brain and look at this film as a standalone project, a generic horror film about a creepy town called Silent Hill.

And as somebody who has forgotten all knowledge of the game series that this film is based on, it would be nice if the film itself could fill me in on the situation a little, instead of throwing 3d effects at the screen and trying (Poorly) to relay a story that makes so little sense that it almost becomes funny.

Things happen for no reason and have little build-up or explanation, and it isn't too enjoyable thanks to the hokey acting from the majority of the cast, even stars like Sean Bean and Kit Harington turned in mediocre performances, though with the writing the way it was one can't exactly blame them.

Now as someone who has seen the first film, this "sequel" (With the most original sequel name ever might I add) has little to do with the first. Sure it is set in the same place and some situations are repeated but it doesn't continue the flow of the first, nor does it follow any of the momentum. The first ended in a bitter way that held no real place for a sequel to come in, so this whole film just seems tacked on for some extra cash.

But I'm sure the real problem here is the shameless butchering of source material.

If this film went under any other name or concept, it would be a badly acted straight to DVD movie that only plays on the Sci-fi channels, but because of the capitalisation on the name "Silent Hill" and the intellectual property of its creators, this film has been given a free pass, a pass which it did not use wisely.

Once again, without any spoilers, it is safe to say that this film does nothing in the ways of conveying the moods and feelings of any of the original games, nor does it try to follow any of their stories, which would be just fine if they didn't spend every other minute shoving fan- service in my face, as if to say "Look! Remember this from the game? So do we! Take a good long look at it!"

Worst of all, the little nods that it gives to the game series are such big parts of the plot that you cannot ignore the fact that they are being used completely out of context, and it gets avid gamers like me really mad.

All in all, newcomers to the series who like horror films will have a tough time understanding it, people who enjoyed the first film will probably lose interest fast, and anyone who has played the games will spend the entire film sitting in frustration. It is an unpleasant experience, and I would recommend that nobody watches this, not even to see how bad it is, because I don't think the Silent Hill community will be very pleased with another sequel.

I wanted to like it

Author: silenthill0932
25 October 2012

I went into Silent Hill: Revelation hoping to be proved wrong. Sure, I knew the move was going to be a bit gimmicky (being shot in 3D and all), and the trailers hadn't looked too promising, but as a fan of the Silent Hill series, I thought that maybe I'd still enjoy the film. Unfortunately, this movie is riddled with so many flaws and defects that it completely falls flat.

The movie is based on the third silent hill game, following Heather Mason as she tries to learn more about her past but more importantly just survive as a series of nightmarish events draw to Silent Hill. The movie tries to follow the plot of the game, but deviates frequently in ways that make little sense. The game's plot was already somewhat muddled and disjointed, and its translation into a screenplay has only made the plot more nonsensical and difficult to follow. Events seem to occur at random, characters are left underdeveloped, and there is no logical progression to the story. The film flounders around for a bit before leaving viewers with an unsatisfactory climax which tapers off with an awkward closing scene.

The acting is pretty poor, and the screenplay isn't much better. Dialogue is stilted and awkward. Carrie-Anne Moss and Kit Harington in particularly do a very poor job of delivering their lines, and are completely unconvincing. To be fair, Sean Bean and Adelaide Clemens do a half-way decent job considering the lines they are given. But overall the acting and writing are both beneath what you would expect from your run-of-the-mill horror flick.

The special effects are pretty well done, and the 3D does make for some interesting moments. Silent Hill's iconic falling ash and dense fog in particular benefit from this treatment. Most of the time though, the 3D is just used to amplify the movies considerable gore. While the special effects are pretty solid, they just don't make up for the poor plot and dialogue which really are sub-par, even by horror movie standards.

I really wanted to like this movie, but even as a fan of the material I found myself unable to appreciate it. My advice is to save your money and rent it when it comes out on DVD.

Satisfying for fans of the original, but missing that SH touch

Author: Savo from United States
26 October 2012

I went into Silent Hill Revelation with high expectations. I liked the original film for its having successfully captured the feel of the original games, even if it wasn't terribly accurate to the actual plot of the game. I wasn't too happy that they skipped adapting Silent Hill 2, but I'll take what I can get for SH adaptations. Although I felt I got my money's worth, I wasn't as mesmerized by the film as I thought I would.

Revelation's story is a mixed bag. The film is a bizarre hybrid of both the first movie's and the game's canon, but it does a good job of tying the various threads together into a coherent plot. If you liked the original film's straight-forward take on the cult of Silent Hill and Alessa, you'll like this one. It may be missing a lot of the subtlety, but the core story is still enjoyable. However, a large amount of the dialogue is really awkward and sometimes even wince-inducing. Tidying up the dialogue and making it feel more natural would have made a noticeable difference in the final film. Overall, the story and dialogue were better in the original movie.

If you're looking for a straight adaptation of Silent Hill 3, look elsewhere. Characters have their personality and role shifted, plot twists are removed and added, and there are a whole lot of "Wait, that never happened in the game!" moments. I would describe this film as being "inspired" by the original game, as it really only covers the most important details of the original plot. However, there are a lot of clever references to the original game and to entries throughout the series that will doubtlessly please the Silent Hill addict.

Silent Hill Revelations carries over a flaw from the original in that it is absolutely obsessed with the black magic and demonic side of Silent Hill and downplays the psychological and surreal elements of the original games. The dream-like feeling that the original games inspired in players is mostly gone, even more-so than the first. However, this does in some ways create a more exciting film and lends itself well to some visceral chase sequences and graphic fights with the monsters of everyone's favorite hell-hole.

However, many of these changes are understandable. The original game thrived on atmosphere and bombarded the player with cryptic notes and bizarre occurrences as they solved puzzles and fought monsters. Film is a very different medium from video-games, so logically a lot of things had to be changed to create a story that would fit the pacing of a film. As a result, I don't have too many hard feelings about the changes made to the story.

The acting side of things is fairly positive. Adelaide Clemens does a fantastic job as Heather. She looks exactly like Heather did in the game and delivers a performance that makes Heather into a much more likable character. Sean Bean gives a decent but underutilized performance as Harry. Kit Harington is by far the weakest link in the cast in his awkward portrayal of a high-school aged Vincent. The rest of the cast give decent, if not extraordinary performances.

Visually, the film is better than you'd expect. They slashed the budget to less than half of the original's, but the film still looks pretty good. Monster costuming is phenomenal just like the first. The cinematography is fairly good and does a good job of drawing you into the film, even if the first film was better in this regard. The more large-scale visual effects and a few of the monsters are obviously CGI, but it's not too distracting.

The 3D in the film is alright, but not necessary by any means. There's some decent depth, a few cool pop-out moments, and overall it improves the look of the film, but it's hardly revolutionary. Although it is a cash-in, I respect the fact that they went to the trouble to film it in 3D instead of using a post-production job. If you decide to see this film, I'd recommend shelling out the extra few bucks to see it in 3D, as I feel it earns the up-charge.

If you liked the first film, I'd definitely recommend this film. If you're in the market for an entertaining horror film this Halloween, there are worse ways to spend your money. Silent Hill fans will have fun, as long as they aren't too picky over the particulars of the original plot. If you were displeased by the original or perhaps haven't even seen it, I'd advise passing on this one, but for everyone else I'd give this film a thumbs up.

Gives Silent Hill a bad name. (spoilers).

Author: Michael Harbin from Missouri, United States
20 December 2012

DO NOT make another Silent Hill Movie Ever.... Revelations was so bad.... you are better off making movies that are not silent hill because you cant even begin to come close to what Silent Hill really is.... And DO NOT take Silent Hill 2's story and turn it into one of your piece of crap movies.... YOU ARE BUTCHERING THE SERIES!!! You have literally ruined one of my favorite video game series. And if you dare try to introduce Your Harry Mason character into the Silent Hill 2 Story as James Sunderland and make Harrys Non existent wife as Mary Sunderland You will literally upset every Silent Hill Fan in the World... You had to have seen what happened when they Made the HD remake of Silent Hill 2 and screwed up the voice acting.... The Fans will be on your case. Also don't connect Travis Grady to a story that he doesn't even belong to. Also one more thing... If Murphy Pendleton is on that Prisoner Escort Bus.... I will literally flip out...

Sincerely from one of Silent Hills greatest Fans

Michael Harbin

Didn't feel like watching a movie. I don't know what it is.

Author: icanisa
30 January 2013

Now I'm okay with movies that didn't follow exactly like the original plot from games, books, etc like the first Silent Hill movie, I think it is still fine. But this one is just BAD. I'm not sure what I was watching but I didn't feel like I was watching a full movie. It just lack of many things. Maybe it's too short, maybe Silent Hill 3 is just not suitable to be made into a movie because the story is all about Heather trying to find the truth about herself, and since we already knew that at the beginning, what is there to tell anymore? And we as an audience already knew how her father is doing, only Heather didn't know, again there's nothing to look forward too. We just merely watching Heather going from point A to B and nothing else. It is that dull and plain.

And the horror? the movie is trying too hard to be creepy. What's with all the pointless close up of meat cutting and bloody mouthful eating. I don't know it just didn't work for me.

A Truly Dreadful Waste of Time ... Don;t waste your time even for free

Author: Boyd from London
21 January 2013

No Story No Style No Atmosphere No Suspense Awful Effects Edited with a hatchet by the looks of it Directed and written ( ? ) by someones with no talent who should go work in Walmart The first Silent Hill was made by someone with talent and imagination ... It created a unique and visually stylish world This thing lacks all of that ... In fact it lacks most things needed to make something a film This looks like some random scenes thrown together by the syfy channel as a trailer for some film that someone else should have made Absolutely atrocious ... I want the 90 minutes of my life back that I wasted watching this nonevent Burn Hollywood ... Burn

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]