IMDb > Freaky Deaky (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Freaky Deaky

Freaky Deaky More at IMDbPro »

Amateurish and spot off on almost everything

Author: giallopudding from United States
1 June 2013

I wanted to like this film. I love Elmore Leonard novels, and loved Get Shorty, 52 Pickup, Get Straight and Jackie Brown (Rum Punch). In the hands of a master like Tarantino, Elmore Leonard's complex and fast-paced plots, with numerous characters throwing witty street banter around, really shine.

Unfortunately, Charles Mattheau isn't up to the task, and characters are miscast, pacing is awful, even the score is wrong in so many places. This film often comes off as a bad TV tongue-in-cheek crime show, complete with dramatic musical flourishes when the camera zooms in on the sexy legs of actresses Sabina Gadeki and Breanne Racano. (Their legs and other beautiful body parts are the best things about these mediocre actresses, in my opinion). The explosion scenes are evidence of a severe shortage in the sfx budget as well as the actor budget.

Even the usually outstanding Crispin Glover as the spacey drunken rich guy Woody Ricks is tepid, either overacting scenes or underacting them. Everything seems out of sync in this film.

Perhaps I'm holding it up to too high of a standard with the aforementioned Leonard film adaptations. But it is what it is...and cool 70's sets and apparel (the novel was set in the 60s), witty Leonard dialog and clever plot apparently weren't enough for director Mattheau to pull this off. I have to believe Elmore Leonard is supremely disappointed in this effort, since as I recall he labeled this his favorite novel. One can only hope that someday a director like Tarantino remakes this film the right way, and captures the crazy 60's vibe from the novel.

Holy Crap This is Bad

Author: Will Merrett from Canada
31 August 2013

I once again must ask who I must speak to to get my latest wild imaginings put on film as this is a sure sign that they will make just about any piece of garbage into a film. Elmore Leonard (RIP) has some great works out there and some of the film adaptations of his work have been fine films. Unfortunately Freaky Deaky by Charles Matthau is not to be listed among that group. Christian Slater is a fine actor and brings something great to each role he plays as well as does Crispin Glover, who is the poster boy for edgy character. The biggest mistake the producers made in this film was casting Beanne Racano in a role. She brings new meaning to the term "wooden delivery". Wow, what a stick she is. This women should never be allowed near a script again.If she didn't look like she does and had to audition for the role based on talent, well...... I could not finish watching this film.

Slick and Stylish! A real treat!

Author: kellystacey1980 from Los Angeles, USA
16 September 2012

Slick, stylish and scatter shot, Charles Matthau's adaptation of Elmore Leonard's Freaky Deaky is enjoyable viewing. Though the book that the film was based on was resolutely set in the 1980s, Matthau's adaptation has been shifted into the 1970s, which offers up a whole lot more visual fun in terms of costumes, cars, locations and a nicely garish kitsch look. It features a very strong cast and the story essentially deals with three main sets of characters as they interact, all in the pursuit of easy money. They are cynical ex-bomb squad cop Chris Mankowski (Burke) and beautiful party girl Greta (Sabina Gadecki); super-eccentric long-haired millionaire Woody (Glover) and his loyal-sh driver/confidant Donelle (White), and finally ex-con/femme fatal Robin (Breanne Racano) and her bomb-making boyfriend Skip Gibbs (Slater). A suitably funky 1970s–style score and slices of smart dialog help push this film into the top echelon of its genre, and I highly recommend it!

Meet the intriguing characters of Freaky Deaky

Author: rgblakey from United States
25 February 2013

Writer Elmore Leonard has delivered some interesting characters over the years, but up until now it was really only Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown and Barry Sonnenfield's Get Shorty that really successfully brought them to life. The latest attempt to bring another Leonard novel to life comes in the form of Freaky Deaky featuring a great cast including Christian Slater, Crispin Glover, Billy Burke, Michael Jai White, Bill Duke and Andy Dick, but does it deliver the strange and unique qualities needed to bring his characters and world to life?

Freaky Deaky follows an ex-bomb squad officer who is thrust into an investigation filled with rape, revenge, and explosives during circa 1974. At first this film feels like its going to be a complete mess, but then something happens and it sucks you right into this ridiculous world. This is mostly due to the creative and interesting characters that populate this 1970's universe. As the story moves forward each character is seemingly given their own time to shine to help bring this quirky dark comedy to life. The story is a bit all over the place, but works fairly well to due to these quirky strange characters and the bizarre story they are thrust into.

This is far from a perfect movie and there are some moments that just seem out of place or forced, but for the most part it works pretty well. If you are a fan of any of the other Leonard films then you will most likely enjoy this one as well as it comes across s thought it's the same universe. If nothing else, the strange relationship between Michael Jai White and Crispin Glover's characters is worth this whole move.

My kind of movie, but then you're not me.

Author: carbuff
10 May 2015

I really liked this movie, but I would be hesitant to recommend it without some qualifiers.

First, you are much more likely to enjoy this movie if you grew up in the 1970s, since the cars and fashions are a blast from the past. Being a car guy, I especially loved the cars, and there were a lot of really nice and interesting ones in this film. While others don't seem to feel that it captured the '70s well, I strongly disagree--guess it depends what you were exposed to then.

Second, I've never read whatever book this is supposed to be based on (or any other works by the author for that matter), but as far as this film goes, it is understated and will seem a bit slow to some; however, it never drags and has a number of laugh out loud bits, and, just generally, a lot of wit in the script. I am personally tired of "Wham, Bam, Thank You Mam!" film-making, so if a film takes time to build as this one does, it's fine by me.

This movie would never play well in a movie theater, but it was perfect for me kicking back late at night.

From the novelist behind PULP FICTION . . .

Author: Tad Pole from Vault Heaven
8 September 2013

. . . one expects a little more than FREAKY DEAKY delivers. Apparently this was exhibited theatrically somewhere for at least 15 minutes, but it plays like a second-rate made-for-cable-TV flick. Since it does not have any nudity, Showtime and Cinemax definitely did not underwrite FREAKY DEAKY's bills. If there is a Speed Junior channel available somewhere (or better yet, a Jackass Channel aimed at the Amish market), FREAKY DEAKY would be a good fit, since the producers idea of fun is to blow up everyone but the bomb squad cop with explosions spaced about 15 minutes apart. Nothing too graphic, since FREAKY DEAKY (unlike, say, PULP FICTION) is film that pulls all of its punches. The characterizations are thin and unbelievable, and the actors do not look like they're having much fun--two things one would NOT say about PULP FICTION. According to recent comments from the mayor of Boston, Detroit should not have a bomb squad, anyway (in FREAKY DEAKY, Billy Burke plays Motor City demolitions Defuser Sgt. Chris Mankowski). Bean Town's boss says the first thing he would do in the Mitten State is blow up its biggest city.

Wow What a Terrible Mess

Author: wtmerrett from Canada
9 February 2017

A cult quality

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
17 January 2017

With the title of Freaky Deaky I would be surprised if Christian Slater was not in the cast somewhere. Since the 80s he's collected a group of the quirkiest character parts with a nice psychotic edge to them. It's what you expect from a Slater film.

I wish he had been the real lead character here. But that goes to Billy Burke who plays a suspended Detroit police officer and member of the bomb squad. The prologue at the beginning has him going out for a smoke in a drug dealer's house and letting a bomb go off under the chair he's sitting on. That has a few people against him, but he considered it a public service.

Anyway there's a plot in the main body of the story to extort money from a millionaire Crispin Glover. Glover has a former Black Panther Party member Michael Jai White as a retainer/confidante. White is also good.

Freaky Deaky is all right, some will make it a cult film, it has that kind of quality to it.

A good adaptation of an okay book

Author: dogcow from United States
25 February 2013

I love Elmore Leonard I have read just about every novel he has written this is not among my favorites. However some of my favorites (Stick, 52 Pick Up, Rum Punch) have been made into completely terrible films.

This on the other hand is a nice adaptation. Characterizations and dialog doesn't stray much from the original story. Much of it plays out just like it did in my imagination when I read the book. The acting was passable, though I thought Glover (and to a lesser degree Andy Dick) were miscast but they did a decent job. The tone of the movie was light and breezy just like the novel. I would love to see the director take a crack at one of Leonard's better novels like Stick or The Hunted.

Example of how not to direct

Author: Martin Onassis from United States
5 February 2015

The movie is set in the 1970s, but there are lots of errors in the props and locations. ITs clear there was no art direction budget to speak OK. There are the requisite TV shots of Richard Nixon and opening credits with the assassinations of the late 60s - Cliché! THe score is very stock.

The movie is really an example of what not to do directing a film. The movie executes mostly professionally on a technical level, but the direction of the actors is either ignored or rushed, so the end impression is a movie that plods and builds no tension nor environment. Plus I guess the film is supposed to be a comedy of sorts. I guess there is some sort of interwoven character plot, but I can't follow it, and there is a gaping lack of any credible villain.

Andy Dick's performance isn't a comeback, but proof he shouldn't be hired, not that his character is given much direction. Christian Slater is also still annoying, and I hoped that his less-cool character would make him more watchable, but it didn't. He's still doing the same old tired rebel/wild off shtick he can't pull off.

MIchael Jai White looks like he's floundering a bit. Crispin Glover is wasted in a ludicrous costume that detracts from every scene he's in.

The cop lead is the only one who really holds any credibility. The actresses are attractive and clichés as well. The underwear shots are gratuitous in the way that makes you think the director is paying more attention to them than the rest of his film.

After an opening when you think it will be a cool underground film, it starts to bore. Slater and Dick wear so thin as to be unwatchable. Other character actors look like they are waiting for direction or slipping out of character.

The film is really so very boring and pointless, and there is no tension, no interest in what is going to happen, nothing. It's a real example of how to make a truly non-compelling film.