IMDb > "Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight" More at IMDbPro »

It is... AWESOME!

Author: henshinjustice-1 from United States
23 April 2008

Alright, I'm going to lay it down for you. NOBODY has really seen the REAL pilot or the REAL trailer yet. I've seen what they think this show is and while it's not nearly as bad as these posts say, it's nowhere what the actual show has grown to be.

It's coming. And when it does the internet is going to explode.

First off, I'm a bit of a hardcore Kamen Rider fan. Like most who got into the Japanese shows, my path started with Power Rangers. And I did love Power Rangers back in the day. I still have respect for it and feel it's an excellent action show for kids.

I just can't get into it anymore. On the other hand, Kamen Rider Dragon Knight is a show I plan to follow from beginning to end and get the DVD's. I love the Japanese Kamen Rider shows, and Ryuki (what Dragon Knight is based off of) was my first entry into the series. Since that I've seen Faiz, Blade, and Kabuto. All thrill rides from beginning to end.

So, I am a fan.... and as a fan, I love what I've seen in the REAL trailer (you guys have to see it!) and the first four episodes.

One thing about Power Rangers lately is that it's a translation of a show I've probably already watched in Japanese. So, I don't want to watch the same story again, and usually a little more silly and lacking serious consequences to actions. Kamen Rider Dragon Knight is it's own story. While watching it, I saw some shades of Ryuki, but it wasn't long before a fully realized world with its own design and characters was crafted. The plot is intricate without becoming convoluted, the characters are involving and charismatic. There are laughs without *forcing* a laugh with out of nowhere slapstick.

I think the original American Masked Rider was unwatchable, but it should be noted that it wasn't a failure or a flop. They ran out of episodes to use.

With Kamen Rider, there is a huge wealth of shows still yet untapped. To either bring in more Riders to the Dragon Knight Universe or craft whole new legends of their own, furthering the name of Kamen Rider here in America.

Action fantasy fans are in for a real treat. Something kids can watch, and also something for us who are missing that martial art/fantasy fix that we got out of Buffy, Angel and Highlander.

Ryuki was good (but not the best.. I mean, Blade and Kabuto were *amazing*!), but Dragon Knight is in a class all its own.

It won't unseat Power Rangers, but PR is no longer the only game in town. Dragon Knight's joined the party and with a smaller budget... managed to raise the bar significantly.

See you guys in the Mirror World, and don't forget to bring your deck. ;)

It's actually an awesome show!

Author: CCharmanderK from United States
11 January 2009

Note to anybody who has read the bad reviews given to the series prior to it's release on TV: disregard those. They haven't seen the true beauty that is Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight.

As anyone who's been taking a look in to Japanese tokusatsu in the last ten years will know, Kamen Rider is not a new series. The show has been around for about 20 years now, and is finally getting the American treatment. This isn't even the first attempt at an English Kamen Rider either. That award goes to the horrid Masked Rider from Saban in the 90's.

This version is very well done, but with many differences from its Power Rangers counterpart. The acting is better, the plot is deeper and more intricate, the tone is more adult and darker, and the laughs aren't forced onto the viewer.

I'm not going to say too much here, so watch Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight for yourself.

Excellent

Author: dekabreakomegaX-1 from Philippines
2 July 2008

It has been a while since there were no US Kamen Rider. I have been looking forward that Kamen Rider Ryuki gets AMERICANIZED and with good people doing it. And now it is here at last to give those who waited for it to come. Kamen Rider Dragon Knight (Kamen Rider Ryuki's US Adaptation) and wow! I cannot anymore take this, YEEHAW! And looks like the whole has a good transformation scene and seriousness has come to an adaptation.

Oh dear me, may Kamen Rider 555/Faiz be the next one to be adapted for the High Technology they have (with 2 transformable bikes of Kaixa and Faiz/555), Kamen Rider Blade for the deep storyline that they got, Kamen Rider Hibiki for the multitude of Kamen Riders that they got, Kamen Rider Kabuto for the awesome Cast-Offs and Hyper Cast-offs that they've shown with those speedy moves that was called "CLOCK UP!", and their hisatsus and also Kamen Rider Den-O for the complexity of the character with four main forms with good comedy that they had, especially that there was a totally great music that got incorporated such as the "Climax Jump" and the "Double Action" and also with the hisatsus. Man! May these be adapted too. Uhh... May Kiva also for the horror theme.

Finally! 3 episodes down 37 to go and the action is so superb. This adaptation is much, much better than the first adaptation "SABAN's MASKED RIDER", and the writers are elite fans of Kamen Rider and that I say: This is probably the moment where the TOKU REVOLUTION SHALL initiate through the MOTORCADE OF THE KAMEN RIDERS.

Worth sitting through

Author: chooiestyles from United States
25 April 2008

Having watched the entire Japanese Kamen Rider Series over the years I appreciate the new American version. Wasn't easy to get my hands on the first episode but it holds true to the Japanese counter part in spirit. I do however wish the had chosen one of the other series nearer and dearer to my own heart, something like Chou Sei Shin Gransazer. I have been a long standing fan of Sentai in all it's forms since USA Network put Dynaman on the air late nights when I was a kid. Now there was a series I would have actually sat through religiously if the had made an American version. I do look forward to sitting through this series with my sons and seeing whether there is really an American audience for these types of programs.

"Dragon Knight" is and isn't "Ryuki"...so we'll call it "AmeRyuki" in the meantime...also...WILL EVERYONE PLEASE CUT IT OUT WITH THE "IT'S ALL POWER RANGERS&

Author: pinoyartist99 from California, USA
16 December 2008

To prepare for the preview...I watched the following things:

"A Friend in Need" (Masked Rider/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Team Up), "Escape from Edenoi" (Masked Rider Pilot), The Guvyer Movies (The Guyver/Mutronics & Guver II: Dark Hero), and the original adaptation, Kamen Rider Ryuki:

So...in a nutshell...

Kamen Rider Dragon Knight is NOT Kamen Rider Ryuki. Also, it is NOT Power Rangers. Finally, it's definitely NOT...I REPEAT NOT...Saban's Masked Rider; what it is overall, is something the Wang Brothers thought out meticulously and methodically the past few years. To describe Dragon Knight that it feels like Ryuki...sounds like Ryuki...looks like Ryuki...but its NOT Ryuki. In fact, it felt a touch of Mighty Morphin, VR Troopers, Beetleborgs...and even...*cringe*...Masked Rider. It was like Wang brothers were paying homage/poking fun at its predecessors, mainly through the characters and short scenes in the show. Furthermore, if you've seen the live-action Guyver movies (clunky as they are) some of those elements are also seen in Dragon Knight.

Keep in mind folks, "Dragon Knight" was originally intended to be a Disney show. Don't remember?

Fall 2003: "Power Rangers Reloaded and Future Dragon Rider"

Thank goodness that deal with Toei fell though. However, as for Power Ranger Reloaded, it became Power Ranger Dino Thunder and Jason David Frank came back as Tommy. However, it was that story alone that lead to the events of today...the most "COMMON" jokes, rants, fanfic ideas...etc etc etc that came from the PR/Toku/Anime Fandoms were the following things:

* Shotaro Ishinomori being acknowledge for his work...happened...IN THE OPENING CREDITS TOO...that's rare these days.

* 4Kids getting "Ryuki"...happened...THANKS A LOT FOR WHINING ABOUT FOLKS!!! (Karma, folks...karma...)

* Steve Wang taking the helm of the series...happened...and he took his brother along for the "ride" (no pun intended) as well.

* An instrumental version or English dub of "Alive A Life" (Ryuki's opening)...err...didn't happen...*cries*...instead we got a rock mix which is as repetitive as the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers theme, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall, the preview was above average and a start of things to come. Now now now...before anyone goes...Kamen Rider this...Masked Rider that...considering Kamen Rider Decade is the next series in Japan; Steve made it pretty clear that there will not be any Kamen Rider anything until overseeing the success/failure of Dragon Knight. Then again...we have fanfic ideas for Kamen Rider Hibiki being "LOST"-esque (...um...NO).

How should I end it this review...

*puts on trench coat and room blackens and points to all the readers and speaks in a Shiro Kanzaki voice*

"ONLY YOU CAN DETERMINE THE OUTCOME!!!"

*turns around and tosses an Advent Card over shoulder*

The Pilot not the first Episode

Author: gmginc from United States
18 December 2008

How could anyone have seen Episode one of this series back in January 2008 when it only sneaked in December 2008 and the series starts in January 2009?

The pilot of the series, shot at the end of 2007, was circulating within the trade, cast and crew. Maybe this has been mistaken for episode one.

The sneak preview of Episode one aired on CW4Kids on December 13, 2008 was more than satisfactory. The acting in some cases was excellent and all cases of a high standard. The story promises to be very interesting. The action is cutting edge.

I have really seen some of the upcoming episodes and this will be a hit show in 2009, for kids of all ages.

I worked on the show and I really have seen the episodes and here's the real deal!!!!!

Author: AlysonBlackBarrie from United States
13 July 2008

I just want to say to all you haters that I worked on this series as the "Hair Department Head" and I have really seen the first 5 episodes and I think they are awesome! Its a fun show for kids and I think all of you that are talking smack about the show for one have never seen it and only watched the trailer and two need to keep in mind that it is a kids show. So if you are expecting to totally relate to it then you need to bring yourself back to when you were a kid while you watch it. I like to look at the show like its the "Heroes" for kids so when you watch it on CW kids on Saturday mornings remember that it was designed for kids at the ages between 8 and 13 it wasn't written for adults but you can still enjoy it if you keep an open mind. Thanks for reading and hope you love it like I do, and Stephen, Matt, Aria, Marisa, Taylor and all the other Kamen Riders... I love you guys and miss you all and I always got your back! Aly :-)

Yes it's a great fun show;love the action and plots too.

Author: jammerjax from United States
26 September 2009

The show is Awesome! as an adult the show rocks big time.Love the costume and motorbikes;kick butt martial arts.And Nightwing that girl is really HOT!! and it's good to see girl in some of these action show too.I miss a few episodes early show because it's on Saturday @ 11:30 am but Istill manage to keep up the some of the stories and plots devices/ As an adult I can remember a show called "Jason of StarCommand" back in the late 70's and it's good the see some live action shoe on TV;cartoons seem to be getting old but there's a few cartoons on TV are not that creative as there were long ago;now it crap viewing on Saturday morning,so I'm glad to see this action show on and it keeps my interest.

A good Kamen Rider adaptation.

Author: roxasfanboi from United States
17 August 2009

I find it funny how the super fan boys bash this series just because it's not exactly like Ryuki. The original Power Rangers wasn't EXACTLY like its Sentai counterparts, but people still like it. Just because the American adaptation isn't EXACTLY like the original doesn't make it bad. Also, the word kamen is pronounced like the word common. People who pronounce it Kay-men are the ones who are wrong. This show takes an idea, and adds a few things to it for a different audience. It's not like anime, where you almost have to keep it the same, it's something that can be changed all it wants. They make it more like a Showa-era show, which makes it so good. One more thing, good luck to the guy who said he was going to buy the rights to Den-O, I bet Toei would love to sell it to some dude who would just copies their idea.

Stop making it seem better than it is! Stop making it seem worse than it is!

Author: Mifune_013 from United States
14 August 2009

ORE...SANJOU! (Er...sorry. Watched ten episodes of Den-O plus a movie.) This series isn't "good" or "bad" its just average. Well I guess average is bad for me. I've tried watching this series several times and just something about it just pisses me off when ever I watch it, its not the acting or the story though. Regardless of that, the show is pretty average. But then again, so was Kamen Rider Ryuki (the Japanese original the show takes itself after).

BTW! This show isn't suppose to be a KIDS show, its actually suppose to target teenagers. It's market is suppose to be 12-16. So stop trying to hide behind its "a kids show". Furthermore! Its "a kids show" shouldn't be a defense for any show. Are you saying children are stupid? ONE MORE THING! Why does there need to be an American Adaptations? Whats wrong with the original Japanese version? Are you saying children are too stupid and don't deserve to experience other cultures?

QUOTE FROM "gabbieispretty"- This show is a cheap,Power Rangers rip-off. It is extremely low-budget and the monsters look like they're from the first season of Power Rangers. Matt Mullins looks are the only saving grace. I wish he would get to do something better,though he doesn't seem to be much of an actor. Poor Victoria Jackson being reduced to a show like this. All she gets to do is play a book store owner who has like zero lines and it's ridiculous. The outfits also look like they were ripped off from the first season of Power Rangers. Undemanding little kids will like it, if they've never seen the Power Rangers movie or are huge fans of Power Rangers.

REPLY- ...? Um, its not a rip-off. Power Rangers originates from Super Sentai which is owned by Toei. Kamen Rider is also owned by Toei. Furthermore Kamen Rider predates Super Sentai. The original Kamen Rider was shown in 1971 while Super Sentai premiered in 1975. Please do some research before you accuse anyone of ripping people off. Other then that, I pretty much agree with you. Future Kamen Rider series have better monster designs (Orphenochs are awesome), and better Rider costumes (KIVA!!). He should go to Japan and do a real Tokusatsu series. He has both fighting abilities and looks and it would be neat to see him in a real Tokusatsu series.