IMDb > "Criminal Minds" No Way Out (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Criminal Minds: No Way Out (#2.13)"

"Criminal Minds" No Way Out (2007)

« Prev | 35 of 255 Episodes | Next »

Want a strawberry milkshake?

Author: Tentacula from Berlin
20 April 2011

Watching Gideon at work has never been this interesting. This episode is special from the very beginning, as the happenings unfold before the viewer in flashbacks - we know the unsub from the start. As far as I can recall this has never been done to such extend and it makes the episode very exciting. Once more an episode refrains from using the famous "from picture to crime scene"-zoom but there are many interesting shots, particularly a simple mirror-shot that shows what the victims see.

What disappointed me was the end. I would agree that it is "necessary" in the course of the storyline but it just does not seem very realistic to me.

This episode is a MUST for every Criminal Minds enthusiast and despite the end it is remarkably done.

Favorite quote of the episode: "[...]but on the inside, we all look the same." (literally meaning the inside of a body)

-Tenta

Excellent... up until the end that is.

Author: rwk2
30 June 2010

This could have been my favorite episode but the ending just killed it. First of all, the dude from Dexter who played the world's best serial killer hunter is the serial killer here in a wonderful performance matching his brain against Gideon's. Actually, all the actors do an excellent job. The failure here is the script. For the first 50 minutes it's edge of your seat entertainment as the episode starts with the BAU team cornering the unsub in a diner. It progresses from there with flashbacks gradually coming closer to the present. So you're all set to see a great ending... and then total irrationality hits.

The unsub somehow managed to hijack a bus loaded with kids, apparently ALL the police force children, all the kids of the town in fact, ride one bus that somehow drives right through a police road block. Their explanation? "We weren't looking for a bus, just a big camper or trailer or RV or some other big room on wheels. Damn." Wouldn't you look at EVERY large vehicle, just in case? To say nothing of the common knowledge that a killer is on the loose and everybody is cool with their kids running around town.

Following that oddity, the unsub strikes a deal with Gideon: he'll take him to the kids in exchange for the chance to WALK out into the desert with the woman he loves. What? How about they never let him have the "love of his life?" He's a kidnapper of children. Do we want a guy like that running around? Probably not. Also, they mention this dude is the most prolific serial killer of all time, having tortured and murdered HUNDREDS of people. And they just let him waltz out of town. Even if that were an option, what about satellites? What about thermal tracking? What about high altitude planes? What about the fact that they WALKED away from a perfectly good SUV (seriously). And then the kicker: the footprints just disappear. Yep, that's it. The unsub and his crazy girlfriend just meander up into the stars apparently.

There you have it, excellent episode... right up until the end that is.