"Agatha Christie's Marple" Ordeal by Innocence (2007)

« Prev | 10 of 23 Episodes | Next »

McEwan's Marple Mistakenly Malligned

Author: sarah_caroline from United States
4 March 2008

I am sorry that some people cannot find the new artistic interpretations of the Miss Marple series refreshing. I have always enjoyed the novels of Agatha Christie as well as most of the movies/television productions based on her work. But I especially enjoy the new Miss Marple portrayed by Geraldine McEwan. I find them new and fresh and proof that these stories, though based in a bygone era, can be reinterpreted in a newer age and with a bit more color. I find Ms. McEwan's portrayal of the aging sleuth to be above reproach and I give her top marks. How boring life would be if we didn't have the freedom to re-interpret or re-invent. But I suppose those that oppose this new series also didn't appreciate "Kiss Me Kate" as it wasn't the original Shakespeare, or the miniseries "Pride and Prejudice" because new aspects to old stories had been added.

Strange changes to the original plot

Author: FanWanDango from England
12 April 2009

I don't mind the McKewan Marple stories - they don't try to emulate the almost perfect Joan Hickson ones (which are very true to the books). I don't even mind messing with the plot as long as it is done well, this story was not written as a Marple mystery but they managed to insert her quite well, *spoiler warning* the one thing that I can't understand is why was Gwenda killed? This plot twist just doesn't make sense, Kirsten had managed to get the whole household suspicious of her, so much so that her fiancé had asked her to leave the house, so why kill her? That makes the suspicion fall back on someone else in the house whereas if she had left they could have all blamed her. I think it was this that ruined it most for me. I don't mind making changes if they make sense but this one didn't. The original book gives much more build up to the character of Rachel and the resentment felt toward her by her adopted children but it is not unusual for film versions to fail in this. All in all this is probably the worst of the new Marples that I have seen which is a shame as I like a lot of the actors in it. I would recommend The moving finger or The body in the library over this one.

Really rather good for a 'non Marple'

Author: Iain-215 from United Kingdom
5 April 2008

Having been scandalised by the McEwen 'Bertrams' I was pleasantly surprised by this adaptation of a non Marple book. We are now into Season 3 of this series and any Christie purists still watching at this stage should know exactly what to expect - Christie 'spinning in her grave' is a very over used phrase! There will be changes, not all of them good - there have been some real stinkers in the series but this is not one of them. I am not outraged by the insertion of Miss Marple so long as the overall result is still satisfactory and this time it is. Darker than some of its predecessors, this is a very good version with some fine performances. Its true that not many of the characters are very likable but actually the Argyle family were a rather tortured bunch in the novel too becoming more so after the revelation that it was not Jacko after all who killed the mother figure.

Juliet Stevenson is very fine as a hugely sympathetic Gwenda as is Alison Steadman as the perfect Kirsten (shame she didn't get her creepy lullaby to sing). The Argyle children are more of a mixed bag; the boys are ciphers, Tina and Hester are a bit dull but Lisa Stansfield is surprisingly good as Mary and Jane Seymour has fun with the stiff, unyielding Rachel at the beginning. I also thought Julian Rhind-Tutt captured the awkward academic Calgary very well.

There are some awkward changes to the plot and I agree with the earlier reviewer who points out the impossible time differences that ensue - not well thought out. The second murder is truly unexpected and shocking however and despite the changes I was happily engrossed throughout. If you can't take changes to the source material, do not watch - otherwise this is pretty good.

I loved it!!

Author: calummccorquodale
5 September 2014

One of the best episodes in my opinion and what's all this nonsense about the outcome not making sense? Made perfect sense to me....

7:50pm to 8:15pm - Jacko Argyle is hitching a lift 8:00 - Young boy sees Tina Argyle's bike outside Sunny Point She must have arrived just before 8 In the house, Kirsten kills Rachel at 8 Tina sticks around until 8:05 considering whether to cross At this time she sees a boat advancing but decides to leave (It must be her we see as the boat nears land in first scene 2 years previously) Kirsten leaves boat at 8:06 approx. and waits for Jacko to arrive At 8:15, Jacko is dropped off at pub and therefore provides himself with an alliby. He catches a lift back to Sunny Point. For this to work he must ensure he keeps his face hidden and is dropped off just a few minutes walk away He arrives at Sunny Point at 8:30 Money is exchanged before Jacko leaves and Kirsten returns to house Kirsten arrives back at 8:35 to change and return to find the body at 8:40. If this isn't the case and Jacko had somehow arrived earlier then Kirsten would have arrived back at the house much earlier than 8:40 (this is definitely the time she arrives) as she wanted to get back as soon as possible. Therefore these times must be correct.

A fine installment in the series.

Author: Paul Evans from Swansea, United Kingdom
5 October 2007

This is one of the better pieces of TV drama I've seen, this I have to say is better then many of the previous Marple or recent Agatha Christie dramatisations. Almost on a par with the Joan Hickson productions. I really did enjoy this one, so I'd say sit back and enjoy, for all those who keep comparing Geraldine to Joan Don't watch them, leave the fans of the new versions to watch and enjoy without criticisms, they're great viewing. It's great that they're doing new things with the plots, we all know the books inside out, so something different is great! The book was of course adapted to accommodate Miss Marple and the writer did a great job, Miss Marple is given enough of a character and personality and role for it to have been written as a Miss Marple book. The performances of Jane Seymour and Dennis Lawson were fantastic in particular, cameos from Pippa Heywood and Camille Coduri were of course welcomed. All but cynical Chrsitie purists couldn't help but enjoy this whodunit meant as Christie's characters should have been bold and larger then life. Pour a large G and T sit back and enjoy..... I did :-) 9/10

Fairly intriguing though engagement is limited

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
10 July 2016

Miss Marple is visiting her friend Vera for her wedding. Gwenda is marrying Leo Argyle, whose wife Rachel was murdered two years previously. Their son Jacko was found guilty of her murder and executed. On the first night there, a stranger, Dr Arthur Calgary, arrives and informs everyone that Jacko was clearly innocent as he was giving him a lift in his car at the exact time of the murder. This news is not received well by the Argyle family.

Fairly intriguing though engagement is limited. Miss Marple is her usual bland self and there is nobody interesting to add colour. Dr Calgary was supposed to be the void-filler but he is too stammering and nerdy to be interesting. So don't expect any interesting side-plots (unlike many of the Miss Marple) episodes - just watch for the mystery.

A disappointment

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
4 June 2010

I liked the book, didn't love it, but it was interesting. But I was disappointed after seeing this adaptation of Ordeal by Innocence-I do think that Sittaford Mystery, By the Pricking of My Thumbs and Nemesis were worse out of this set of Marple adaptations, but this is a long way from being the best. It is lovingly filmed, with nice scenery, photography and costumes, and I liked the music. Also helping elevate are a stellar cast, Geraldine McEwan is above decent as Miss Marple, and Jane Seymour is suitably nasty as the victim, while Juliet Stevenson, Denis Lawson, Burn Gorman and especially Alison Steadman turn in great work. Lisa Stansfield is also surprisingly good. Plus the direction was okay. The rest of the acting is dull however, Tom Riley is one-note and Richard Armitage, normally good at being brooding, has little to do. Hester got on my nerves and Julian Rhind Tutt comes across as too awkward and heavy on nervous mannerisms, even for Calgary Also on the other hand, the adaptation is spoilt by poor pacing(the final solution is much too rushed and the middle really does plod), a weak script and a lack of coherence in the storytelling or suspense. Plus I was indifferent to the characters as some of them are so badly written, especially Bobby's and Hester's, in fact only Mary has any real sparkle. The build-up to Rachael's character was unconvincing, we know she is resented but it could have been much more strongly depicted with more focused writing. And people are right, it does deviate from the book, and I was expecting that, but Gwenda's murder especially I felt was unnecessary. Overall, disappointing but not absolutely unwatchable, thanks to the production values and the cast. 4/10 Bethany Cox

Decent adaptation

Author: OrWright
30 August 2009

This movie is mostly engaging, and I think they do a good job of including Miss Marple into a non-Marple story. Unlike some other movies in the series, the plot remains mostly logical without any unnecessary weird twists.

There are good performances by both the actress who played Gwenda and the actor who played Dr. Calgary. I found their sleuthing together under Miss Marple's guidance enjoyable to watch. They also did a good job of inventing the linking of Gwenda with Miss Marple. I was disappointed the writers felt the need to have that second murder, with excessive gore to a sympathetic character. I still don't see why the murderer felt the need to kill her. It turned the movie into a real downer for me. It would have worked better if Gwenda was thrown in jail and Miss Marple and Dr. Calgary became determined to prove her innocence.

But overall, I did enjoy the movie for Geraldine McEwan as Miss Marple, and the more fun and light-hearted first half.

Solid drama, but a little flat

Author: gridoon2016
13 July 2011

The basic message of this Agatha Christie story seems to be "Ignorance is Bliss". Sure, if Dr. Calgary hadn't appeared out of nowhere to confirm Jacko's alibi a murderer would remain hidden in the Argyle family's midst, but it would still be a happier family and some innocent lives would be spared; and did Jacko even deserve to have his name cleared? It's probably one of Christie's most dramatic and downbeat stories, but not one of her best mysteries - or maybe it only seemed obvious to me because I remembered the plot from the 1980's film version of the same book with Donald Sutherland, Faye Dunaway, etc (on a sidenote, I consider myself lucky for not having read / watched or not remembering most of these Christie tales; I find it more rewarding to watch a mystery movie and be surprised by it than to know what's going to happen and having to compare it to another version of the story). The acting is fine all around, especially by Lisa Stansfield as the level-headed Mary, but the film is a little too flatly shot and visually gloomy for this series. To put it in another way, "Ordeal By Innocence" may be one of the series' best, but it's not one of my favorites. **1/2 out of 4.

Unappealing Version of Christie's Marple

Author: cloeso9 from Shreveport LA
24 July 2009

I've seen this entire series and while some are quite good, some are not. "Ordeal by Innocence" falls into the badly done category. With so many talented actors, beginning with McEwan, this should have been a very watchable and enjoyable entry. But the script was dreadful. There was hardly any character development and a rush to close the unbelievable storyline. The powers behind this one strictly were focused on giving the actors more camera time, and there were a slew of them. But the ending just left me cold. All this silly family entwining. It was good to see Jane Seymour again, even if it was a short amount of time.

Note: I LOVED the comment from one person here who said if we didn't like it, we could NOT watch. But he or she watched with a big "G & T" (GIN and tonic)....LOL!! I'd have to be smashed too.