IMDb > "Chuck" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Chuck"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Chuck" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The greatest American action comedy TV series

Author: Odd Henriksen from Norway
10 November 2008

Chuck is in my opinion, beyond any doubt, the funniest and the overall most entertaining American TV series on the air in 2008.

I do however not believe it is amongst the most "universal" in regards to what target audience it's ideally suited for. While not having any demographic numbers or survey results to refer to, I honestly believe it has a greater appeal to men than to women, although I do know both female and male fans of the series.

Chuck is basically an interesting and hilarious blend of comedy and action. It does not imitate other series, and does not have a boring and stereotypical concept that you feel that you've seen dozens of times before. It's really a breath of fresh air in the ever-growing jungle of TV series, of which few are worth spending time watching - in my humble opinion.

The main character, Chuck, is a geeky, modest, conscientious and somewhat shy person who is suddenly faced with many challenges in his daily life, trying to keep together the different parts of his life at the same time. His field of expertise is fixing computers. Viewers who are passionate about technology will probably be especially likely to "get" the humor of this show.

The very most brilliant achievement of this series is the unique chemistry between the characters. No one take themselves too serious, the actors deliver great performance and consistence in every episode, and the characters' spontaneous reactions are often enough to cause great laughter. The only "serious" character I can think of (who is rarely funny - undoubtedly by intention) is Chuck's sister - Ellie. She contributes greatly to the "balance" mentioned below, and is in that respect an important character.

Furhermore the series' perfect balance between gripping action scenes, risibility and self-irony is quite remarkable. It's both pleasant, fun and thrilling at the same time! I hope Chuck will continue to be such a success for a long time and that the creators continue to develop the concept so that it does not "grow old" fast. I look forward to its release on DVD in a greater variety of countries! Quickly summarized: A hilarious series, in my opinion the greatest American action comedy TV series ever!

Chuck is the most magnificent show on television

Author: struggle67 from United States
25 February 2009

Chuck is the most entertaining show on TV. It's shot well and the writing is smart and quick. The acting is superb from the extras to the main characters.The story is dramatic and visionary where the character dynamics can be turned on a dime. Love and romance, an agent searching for a good fight, an average guy tossed into the world of espionage; this show has it all.

You will laugh and cry, rejoice and be frustrated because of character depth and great acting. All the characters are lovable and relatable.

NBC has found a hero in Chuck, who as a typical guy, inspires us to be better. The creed of the show is to take care of your family and friends. Simply Chuck calls to do right even in tough times.

It's certainly a show that will keep you on your toes throughout. Without a doubt this is the best show I've ever seen.

At first I was skeptical but after two or three episodes I was hooked because its funny and exciting with a great story to it. I implore you to take a chance on Chuck, trust me its worth it. Regardless of anything else there is nothing else on TV like it.

Chuck = Best Drama-dy on Television

Author: Sidney Caning from Canada
16 March 2009

Out of all of the shows on television, I would have to say that without a doubt, Chuck is the best show. It has the Perfect blend of drama and comedy. It is one of those shows that only gets better with time and I am hoping, no no, I am praying that Chuck gets a third season. Each one of the actors/characters brings something special to the show that makes it a huge success. Zachary Levi is a hilarious actor and he and Yvonne Strahovski have amazing chemistry. Adam Baldwin is always there to keep the show in line and his quirky one lines are perfectly timed. I hope they are given the chance to prove to the world that they are worth it!

Best show on TV

Author: kknott from United States
26 March 2009

I have a DVR and rarely watch shows the day they are recorded, the exception to this, is Chuck.

The best thing about this show is it's uniqueness. Most other shows on TV right now are cast from a few different molds. You have Cop / CSI dramas, reality shows (which are really getting stale), medical drams, and situational comedies. The closest you can compare this show to is Get Smart crossed with Alias crossed with Moonlighting added to a great work place comedy. Depending on which episode you watch there will be differing levels of comedy, drama, action, and even romance.

The amazing acting ability of Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski, is a pleasure to watch.

Very Enjoyable if you take it for what it is.

Author: kcdl from Australia
2 August 2009

I'm totally surprised by the amount of negative comments made about Chuck. though at the same time the good comments are very good.

I half wonder if the negative comments comments are because people are watching it in the mode of "This is comedy why aren't I laughing every single second".

I agree the show isn't laugh-a-minute. However I think it far more than that. I once heard this show described as "joyous" and I think that is a perfect description. This is a show that should produce joy rather than laughter. Laughter is reflexive and ephemeral while joy is more lasting and requires sympathy for the characters.

I enjoy the show because I love the characters. They may seem to be clichés but the are all archetypes in new contexts. We not only have meek nerds in dangerous situation but train killers in mundane situations.

I love watching these characters trying to adjust to these environments that are alien to them.

The other thing I like is that there is forward movement in nearly every episode especially in season 2. I'm so sick of shows that are stand alone bad-guy-of-the-week. Chuck has a clear story arch. It is a very plot driven show and secondarily a character driven show. The script is a formality much like Star Wars.

Really it is a classic story about man who is being forced to be the man he is meant to be. Chuck has the potential to be a hero but years as a lowly computer store clerk have obliterated his self confidence.

On the flip side it is the story of a girl who has been running around saving the world and just wants a normal life.

I guess if you don't have sympathy for the character you will never understand what is great about this show. It is FAR more than a bunch of spy clichés.

Another thing I love is the chemistry between Chuck and Sarah. It is more than just sexual tension the to characters are actually in love. This makes things a bit different to the usual sexual tension theme where the boy is trying to get the girl to like him. We know they like each other from the start. It is merely the circumstance that keeps them apart. This raises the stakes of the story arch of chuck trying to get the intersect out of his head.

In summary I believe you enjoy it more if you don't think of it as a purely as a comedy but as journey for the main characters.

Is this show the greatest show currently on television?

Author: Pillowfightgayness from germany
9 September 2009

I would like to explain to you what makes this show worth watching.

There are 3 main reasons.

1. The plot: to sum it up in one word "amazing" How the creators came up with this idea ill never know but it is great, a totally unique and might I add awesome idea for a TV show, The mix of the drama and the comedy in the show is just stunning major kudos to the writers

2. The characters: Every single character on this show is great. whether Im watching Casey lay out some serious fighting skills, or watching Captain Awesome be...well, awesome it always has my attention

3. The relationship between Chuck and Sarah: Last but definitely not least the element that most makes the show worth watching. Their chemistry rivals that of another great TV couple *cough* J.D and Elliot *cough*. They play off of each other so well that it makes me really believe that Yvonne Strahovski really is a super sexy C.I.A agent and Zachary Levi is just some "nerd" that happened to land the hottest women on the face of the planet in the most bizarre sort of way. I love Chuck and Sarah.

So to answer my question, Yes this really is the greatest show currently on television, I haven't been this obsessed with a show since I first set eyes on Scrubs. If you have not seen this show or you've seen a little and are skeptical about it, Just watch it you will not be disappointed.

Chuck is like Marmite.....you either love it or hate it. I LOVE IT!

Author: Fear Cheol from Ireland
11 August 2009

A lot of people who watch Chuck forget that they are watching a action/comedy. The people who think that its supposed to be solely comedy will be disappointed because they think they're supposed to be laughing the whole time. These people aren't the fans....

People who get offended by its portrayal of its action/sci-fi side are offended because it doesn't thrill them like most shows like Dexter or Supernatural do. Its not supposed to do that either. These people aren't the fans....

People who are able to see the key factor of this show.... the simple care-free enjoyment that puts a smile on your face when they watch chuck. Who can see behind the unrealistic plot and cliché characters to the amazing morals and ethics that only this type of show can have. People who can just sit back and indulge in the charming epicness of Chuck. These people ARE the fans!

And i am one of them.

If you are a rationalist, don't watch......ever.

But if you have an open-mind and have even a hint of empathy then this is the show for YOU

Action packed, Smart, Hilarious, Sexy show.

Author: kwanbis from Argentina
1 November 2009

Chuck is one of my favourite shows so far.

The action is very good.

Comedy is excellent, not too overacted.

Yvonne Strahovsky is the sexiest agent on TV by far.

All the episodes are very much different, so you don't get bored.

It looks like all is in place for a hell of a show.

I hope NBC does not let it die.

By the way, i'm non-American Spanish-speaker, and i still love the show, not like others that are very much "american humor", like 30 rock which i can not stand a minute (this is just an example), so i'm confident it would be loved from people all over the world.

Mr. Magoo meets Jane Bond?

Author: Dylan Thomas from United States
29 September 2007

From the previews, it would have appeared that this show has an interesting twist from the typical rhetoric of the genre. But that is not the case. All summer we were "duped" into believing this was going to be Mr. Magoo meets Jane Bond. A regular Joe with a doofus complex meets Mrs. America gone international spy. He is unaware of her "secret identity" and she's aware that he unknowingly knows something he shouldn't, and that she might have to kill him at any second. This is not the plot at all, and would have been network gold if it was, in my opinion.

Instead we have a typical ridicules plot about a goofball of-a-guy that receives an EMAIL that contains all of the government's secrets and overloads his brain with every detail. Extraordinary piece of technology Email is. To implant all of the knowledge of the government's secrets into the brain, that he can only access at the exact time it is needed. Whaaa? It suddenly seems that I'm watching Joss Whedon's Angel ala spy-games via Johnny Mnemonic. Were you can expect every week's story to involve Chuck having "visions" that lead himself and his heroin on adventures that bring them closer to solving the mystery of whether or not Chuck can score with this spy-babe. And there might be some hilarity thrown in, but I doubt it. This "piece" has all the appeal of a shiny object to a bird. No doubt the fans of claptrap will love it...

A Brilliant mixture of Action, Romance and Comedy

Author: Travis Brooks from United Kingdom
19 February 2009

In my line of work, I get very little time to sit down and enjoy something on the TV, or especially become enthralled in a TV series - until Chuck.

From the first episode, back when we were first introduced to the individually zany Chuck, right up to present day 2 seasons down the line - Every episode is a whirlwind of emotion, with the action of the plot, mixed with the comedy of the 3 bantering and finally the intermittent cover relationship which we all have our own opinions about.

It's been a long time since I set something aside and looked forward to it every single week - and to this day have never been disappointed by it!!!

BRAVO CHUCK!!