IMDb > Cyborg Girl (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Boku no kanojo wa saibôgu

Cyborg Girl More at IMDbPro »Boku no kanojo wa saibôgu (original title)

A Nutshell Review: Cyborg She

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
4 September 2008

Sometimes the greatest love stories aren't the ones that end happily ever after, but the realization that it's all a matter of the quality moments spent between the lovers. You can call me a sentimental sap, but Cyborg She does meet every single one of my expectation of what makes a palatable romantic movie, never mind sometimes dwelling on the clichéd moments, especially when the leads share great chemistry, and this being a science-fiction piece to boot too! Jiro Kitamura (Keisuke Koide) is a loner who celebrates his birthday with nobody except himself, going to the mall and picking out his own gift, before ending up at the same old restaurant for a plate of spaghetti. It's a routine year after year, but in 2007, he chanced upon a girl (Haruka Ayase) whom he witnessed to have shoplifted from the departmental store, and from then they spend the most amazing evening together. Yes, it's reminiscence of Serendipity, done in the style of Kwak Jae-young, whom we know better as the writer-director of the Korean hit My Sassy Girl.

Fast forward to a year later, Jiro meets the girl again, but this time discovers she's a cyborg sent from the future. I guess to most guys, this seemed like a dream come true when a girl, no matter if she's a fully functional cyborg, happened to just drop into your lap again. It's R2D2 with boobs, sent to him in Terminator fashion (Sorry, with clothes on too), which means of course that she has a higher calling and purpose to be with him, for reasons best I not reveal here, but for you to find out for yourself.

Being an advance being, in between getting to learn how to be a human, protecting Jiro from harm and being romanced, she's also like a superhero, and Cyborg She never looked a minute out of place if positioned side by side with this year's Hollywood superhero blockbusters. Boasting excellent special effects, I thought this movie gave another Japanese Film (don't click on this link if you choose not to know) a run for its money with its rendition of the event being a more realistic one.

It has plenty of charming moments within that makes it a perfect date movie, and the great chemistry between the leads is what made this work. Keisuke Koide looked like the helpless puppy that he is, flitting from moment to moment trying to figure out what his cyborg's true calling is, while succumbing unsuccessfully to temptation of trying to get fresh with her. Haruka Ayase on the other hand had her work cut out for her in being an emotionless robot programmed to smile, and had moments which mirrored Uma Thurman from My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Together they share some light hearted moments in a fine balance with the dramatic ones. And as we all know, we usually appreciate things a lot more the minute we lost them, and for a romantic movie, this usually is the case to reinforce certain emotions the characters have for each other.

Running slightly more than 2 hours, it never for a minute felt longer than its welcome on screen, though I had to admit that amongst its multiple endings, I thought that it could have ended at any point, and still would have made it a bittersweet movie to have experienced. I've no qualms about the ending it decided upon too, but meanwhile for those whose hearts would feel heavy at the slightest touch of sentimentalism, you'd better pack your tissues with you.

I'll admit it, this is a movie which I enjoyed thoroughly, even though as you know with any movie dealing with time travel, that'll be that bit of a paradox involved, and here it came in large doses. I'll advise you to accept the timeline presented for what it is, because that's the only way, linearly, in order to enjoy any movie that has this element. Highly recommended stuff since it's been some time I saw a romantic movie (and a science fiction one!) that just worked. I'll stick my neck out to say it'll likely be featured in my top 10 list of films for this year and I'll put money aside for the DVD as well.

For those who want to watch it on the big screen, well it's been playing at the cinemas for some time now, so you'd better quickly make some time for it.

a Beautiful movie and Very Underrated, i just had to write a quick opinion

Author: g-md from Netherlands
10 November 2010

This is one of the best movies i have ever seen and believe me i have seen a lot.

I have seen almost all movies in the top 250 on IMDb and much more, this movie is so underrated here, but it is near perfect.

The only reason i can think of why people would rate this movie low is maybe because they don't like science fiction or don't like stories with far fetched technology, or maybe some special effects that aren't top notch like most movies today but other than that i cant come up with a reason.

This is a beautiful masterpiece, a great storyline that is truly unique.

I have never encountered this story in anything i ever watched, the budget may not be as high as most Hollywood movies but that is not important to me.

This is a truly unique and beautiful movie, you can just feel that the creators have put their heart in it, and to me that is the most important factor.

It is officially FIRST movie i ever shed a tear with, i didn't even cry with The Green Mile.

I came here to rate the movie a 9 (wich i hardly do) and found out how terribly underrated it is so i just had to write a quick opinion.

Sorry, this may not be very helpful for getting an idea of what the movie is about but you can find that elsewhere.

I just wanted to write my feelings about this amazing movie, i think anyone should at least give it a try.

The only reason why im not giving it a 10 is because of 1 or 2 very minor things that could have been done better or could have been left out, but it is so minor that it almost doesn't matter.

I feel this movie, I can feel this movie!

Author: 8thSin from Tokyo / Toronto
20 February 2009

I don't care what anyone says, I absolutely loved this film. The villains in this movie were really stupid, and the story is really far-fetched, but I was able to tolerate it since it IS a sci-fi romantic comedy.

From the drama series I've seen, Ayase Haruka had always been a horrible actress. However, I've always felt the worst actors/actresses perform extremely well in emotionless roles, and this was not an exception. Not only that, she was fantastic when she finally showed emotion in the human role. Casting was perfect since she also has that strikingly cool looks in addition to her beauty. Koide Keisuke, as usual, did a very fine job, and cameos by various established film and drama supporting actors were very funny as well.

The direction for this movie was fantastic. Although I have to admit the future scenes were really cheesy, the special effects in general were fun to watch, and the whole film was nicely paced. One event led to another, spontaneous plot devices, I laughed and I cried.

This movie is directed by the same director as "My Sassy Girl". I enjoy Korean romantic comedies, and this movie actually have actors I'm familiar with, so it was a blast for me. Although there were some serious flaws in story and time travel paradox, I really connected with the two main characters, and there were so many memorable scenes thanks to the wonderful direction. I especially liked the repetition of the first scenes from Ayase Haruka's point of view. The "days with her" sequence with HI-FI CAMP's "KIZUNA" was one of the best insert song sequence I have ever encountered.

I guess there's a reason Bruce Lee robot was introduced in the end... "Don't think, just feel!" This movie is like Doraemon and Nobita, except Doraemon is also Shizuka-chan. Give it a try with an open mind.

A wonderful robotic romance...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
15 March 2012

This movie was actually somewhat of a surprise. I had bought it from Amazon without actually knowing what it was all about. It had gotten fairly good reviews on Amazon, plus it was an Asian movie, so I decided to give it a go.

And now having seen it, I must say that "Cyborg She" was actually a really nice movie. It is a very interesting romantic movie of sorts, because it is not your average romance movie. You have Jiro who falls in love with a cyborg that he himself built in the future and sent back to himself in the past. Confusing? Well, a bit odd, but it made for a really nice story actually. And it worked out quite well. I especially liked the way the movie ended, because it rounded up so many questions that you were stuck with in the first part of the movie.

The cast in "Cyborg She" was actually quite good. Haruka Ayase (playing the cyborg) and Keisuke Koide (playing Jiro) had really good chemistry on the screen. And I must admit that I was really taken in by Haruka Ayase's performance as the cyborg, and they had really managed to present her in a way that made her look sort of artificial.

Not sure if this was based on an anime or manga, or not, but it sure had the feel like you were watching a live-action manga movie. Thumbs up on that.

"Cyborg She" is one of the more interesting Asian movies I have seen in awhile, because it is somewhat beyond the stereotypical stuff that you see in Asian movies. This oddly romantic story will capture your heart and take you along on a very well-told journey. The movie offers everything from love and laughs to thrills and action.

If you are a fan of Asian cinema, then you definitely should check out "Cyborg She".

A sci-fi, romantic comedy that is sweet and engaging...

Author: jmaruyama from Honolulu, HI
22 June 2008

What if James Cameron's "Terminator" were a love story? Sounds ludicrous but that's exactly what Jae-Young Kwak's "Cyborg She" is - a love story between a high-tech cyborg from the future (Hayase Haruka) and her inventor boyfriend Kitamura Jiro (Koide Kesuke). In the year 2070, a kindly, frail and physically handicapped Jiro had built a female cyborg (in a homage to "Terminator" the cyborg is a "Cyberdyne Model 103") as a personal aide to assist him in his daily life. Equipped with a time travel device, Jiro sends the cyborg into the past in an attempt to prevent the incident that crippled him (in 2007 a mentally unstable office worker shots him in a restaurant shootout). The cyborg meets up with the younger Jiro and successfully saves him from being shot by the gunman.

As Jiro and the Cyborg slowly start to form a relationship, the cyborg becomes a bit of a celebrity as she uses her high tech powers to perform a number of heroic deeds (she saves a girl from being hit by a car; she stops a hostage taker from killing one of his victims; saves people from a fire) as well as gets into a bit of innocent mischief (she takes clothes without paying; does the "robot" in a disco).

Jiro and the Cyborg's happy life however comes to an abrupt end as a massive earthquake hits Tokyo, effectively destroying the capital. While the Cyborg does her best to save Jiro, she unfortunately suffers serious damage during the quake and now Jiro must try and save her.

"Cyborg She" is directed by Korean director Kwak Jae-Young who many may recognize from his popular 2001 hit "My Sassy Girl". Kwak's inventive humor and storytelling is again much in evidence here and he delivers quite a satisfying and entertaining movie. While some of the comedy may border on the silly, I found myself laughing at some of the visual gags. The film borrows liberally from other sci-fi films notably "Terminator" and "A.I.: Artificial Intelligence" but crafts an interesting time-jumping, century-spanning love story that is quite effective and endearing.

The VFX/SFX work was surprisingly very good and top notch especially with the climactic destruction of Tokyo as well as some of the Cyborg's robotic effects.

Some of the story's loopy continuity and "Back To The Future" styled time- travel concepts are a bit hard to follow at times but Kwak does make it work in the end and does pull some inventive story twists.

Hayase Haruka (Memories of Matsuko) is alluring and cute in her role as the future Cyborg. She makes for a likable if but somewhat stiff heroine. Koide Kesuke's (Pacchigi!, Koizora, Kisaragi) is also likable as Jiro (in a "Otaku"/anime geek sort of way). Their love story begins in typical awkward fashion but soon develops into a sweet romance thanks to their nice and controlled performances.

Kiritani Kenta (Crows Zeo, 69 Sixty Nine) does a lot of scene stealing as Jiro's goofy college friend. His scene where he gets the Cyborg drunk is fun to watch. The always funny Takanaka Naoto (Swing Girls, Water Boys) also makes a hilarious cameo as one of Jiro's wacky and high-strung college professors.

"Cyborg She" is an enjoyable sci-fi fantasy that will have audiences hooked from the start and invested in the romance between the attractive leads. While some may find the story a bit melodramatic and the humor a tad forced, I liked the film a lot.

Note: There was some initial confusion regarding whether "Cyborg She" was in some way a remake or re-interpretation of Chan-wook Park's 2006 "I'm A Cyborg But That's OK". While both films do share more than a few similarities and themes, they are two completely different films and are not connected in any way. Although I am still of the opinion that Kwak was influenced by Park's film, no official connection exists as far as I've been able to gather.

A Love Time Can't Stop

Author: Aeromaxx777 from Philippines
23 January 2011

My rating is not really a 10; it is actually 9.2. And I would agree if people say this movie is underrated. This is definitely one of the greatest tearjerkers from Japan. I cried out loud for over 15 minutes when I watched this movie. And I just can't say anything bad about it except it never showed what happened to Jirou Kitamura after the future girl came back for him. But the story was unlike what I have seen before. And for a comedy, the climax was actually kind of sad. That makes any fan of romance shed a tear.

The story tells about how the movie's resident geek, Jirou Kitamura found love in 2 girls(one is a cyborg) in 2 separate occasions. Which only emphasizes his average Joe persona in the film in the fact that he falls for a future girl who has quite an appetite for food, shoplifts and quite unused to everything, and to a heroic cyborg who is at the least, ROUGH ON HIM! But that says something; "In a relationship, it is not about finding the perfect partner in life, it's about finding the perfect kind of love that you can share with each other".

Just to back it up, Jirou's love for the future girl led him to spent all his money and time to create the cyborg girl. And eventually changing history that drives the future girl's heart to return to Jirou. The kind of love Jirou and the future girl share for each other was so strong, time can't keep them apart. I wonder if there would be an American version someday. Either way, this movie is great as it is. Keisuke's character, Jirou could very well be at the top 5 in my long list of "Greatest Lovers in Movie History". Why? When he had not created his cyborg girl yet, he ended up disabled in a wheelchair. But because he loved the future girl so much, he waited 65 years in order to see her again(in a sense). And because he did, his younger self lived his life happily and without regret.

This movie created a question for the public: "How long can a love that was created over a short period of time last?. And the movie had an answer for it: "FOREVER".

Fun and enjoyable

Author: ramkoil from Australia
26 October 2016

I watched this movie a week ago. I found the movie easy to follow and refreshingly clean and heartfelt. It shows that you don't need to have sex to be intimate and romantic. In fact it adds to the feeling. Unlike Hollywood movies that the beautiful girl has to undress and have a sex scene here we have a truly beautiful actress in an amazing romantic film and I don't remember a single kiss. Profound human emotions does not need physical expression. This has been lost in Hollywood moves for decades. In response to a reviewer who said the move is not good enough because she did not undress and not enough action. Please go back to your dumbed down Hollywood films made for lower IQ audience. This is a true romance not in the league of Ready for love but fun and enjoyable.

An excellent, excellent movie

Author: J S from Canada
4 May 2012

I share the same sentiments as a previous reviewer (Paul Haakonsen).

I put this movie on during a boring evening and very soon got into it, then got really into it. At first I was expecting just a simple comedy where a guy meets a beautiful girl and she turns out to be a cyborg (spoiler police: that's not a spoiler because its the title of the movie!), but it's much, much more than that.

This one is going onto my favourites list, and I'll definitely be seeing it again. Actually, I would watch it again now but I don't want to ruin the feeling I had - and which you'll have - after you watch it for the first time.

You will remember it long after you've finished watching it. An excellent, excellent movie.

Possible Weak Spoiler Warning for the next paragraph...

This movie contains the most beautiful sequence I've ever seen in all the many hundreds of movies I've watched to date... when the main character goes to his home town, that whole sequence, and the soundtrack to it, was incredible.

Truly A Japanese Movie Classic Romance

Author: Desertman84 from United States
28 September 2011

Cyborg Girl is a very touching and heart-warming story about a relationship between a young man and a robot that came back from the future. It was a love story. It also tackles themes of companionship, friendship and loneliness.

Wirtten and directed by My Sassy Girl and Windstruck director,Kwak Jae- Young Kwak wraps up his popular "My Sassy Girl" series with this romantic comedy about a lonely young man who falls in love with an emotionless cyborg. Jiro is celebrating his birthday alone when he crosses paths with a mysterious young beauty. After a lovely dinner together, the girl vanishes without a trace. Exactly one year later, the girl reappears to celebrate Jiro's twenty-first birthday. But something is different this year, and when the situation suddenly turns violent Jiro makes a shocking discovery about his eccentric new companion. As benevolent and beautiful as she may be, however, is there such a thing as true love between man and machine?

The acting was great in this film. Kudos to Keisuke Koide as Jiro and most especially Haruka Ayase for being credible both cyborg and a human being as well as delineating the characters of between the two. The chemistry between the two was commendable as well.

Finally,Cyborg Girl is definitely the best Japanese movie I have ever seen. No question about it.It is truly a classic!!!

Excellent!

Author: dan-of-old from United States
22 September 2011

OK, it was a bit long but necessary to maintain continuity. I was totally surprised by the storyline. The 'robot' was HOT but he never got to first base. This was a tad bit unrealistic but then, it was a comedy. I may return to this movie again.

There were nice touches of him visiting his hometown back-in-the-day. It seemed to me that him & her were invisible until the little girl spoke to them directly. The cat disappearing from his apartment just before the big quake was another nice touch. The scenes of the destruction of Tokyo were excellent and detailed. Kind of prophetic speaking in terms of the events of 2011.

The ending, repeating the beginning, was necessary to give significance to what might have been forgotten. Certain new details were given when it was seen through her eyes.