IMDb > "New Amsterdam" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"New Amsterdam"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"New Amsterdam" More at IMDbPro »

Saw the Pilot Episode from Fox

Author: Stephanie Bearoff (stephanie.bearoff@tvguide.com) from United States
18 July 2007

Today I watched the pilot for this, I am very excited to see if it makes it to prime time television. I think this series carries all of the elements of success, suspense-drama-action-romance-history, I learned a lot while watching the episode as well as being intrigued by the main character "Amsterdam". I'm not going to ruin it for anyone, but I think this show definitely has the potential to make it. A basic explanation of the plot is that Amsterdam is a homicide detective who is brilliant, mysterious, reckless, magnetic, unknowable. And he has a profound secret – he is immortal. That is all the information that I can give without this being a "spoiler". But, the show looks promising and the theme song, by the Decemberists, is also great.

I really hope Fox actually gives this one a chance.

Really Promising!

Author: Marilou from New York
22 March 2008

I find the premise for this show really intriguing, and the lead actor Nicolai Coaster-Waldau is just about the best thing on television. He plays this character with depth and the right mix of sadness and wit. The rest of the cast is excellent as well. I hope Fox gives this show another shot next season because I'd love to see more of this story develop. I like the references to the past of New York, a city with some of the most interesting backstory in this country. That alone will give the show plenty to draw on for episodes. I loved the montage of pictures of Times Square...keep the period details accurate though (tee-pees!?)and that the glued beards don't look too cheesy!

I don't want it to end!

Author: takashirose1985 from United States
25 March 2008

I really like New Amsterdam. I have watched all the episodes up to March 24th's. The main draw is seeing the transformation from New Amsterdam into New York. I love the flashbacks. I hope they don't cancel this show because I am very picky with what I watch. Because I am busy during the March air times, I hope FOX looks at the amount of people using its on Demand service. That is the way I watch a lot of their shows since my computer screen has high definition unlike my t.v.

It is the one of the only shows I watch every week. I recommend it to anyone who has a brain, which is why I do not recommend CSI and Law and Order. Even though New Amsterdam uses the idea of an immortal similar to Highlander doesn't mean it is a bad show. I mean how many shows right now are like CSI and Law and Order. New Amsterdam has this European flare going, which is what New York is at its core.

Hoping FOX keeps it alive

Author: dikatness from United States
23 April 2008

It seems right now that New Amsterdam is on the fence on whether it will return for a 2nd season or not. I just hope FOX does see fit to renew it. To be honest, the pilot episode was so-so, but my DVR kept recording the shows and a month later I decided to catch the next one I had missed. That was all it took. I have eagerly watched all the episodes, even buying one on iTunes that I had deleted. I have no idea about all the prior Highlander references, but to me this show is fresh and different. Plain old cop shows are no fun to me, but this one has the twist of his being immortal and seeing into his past. Plus, Nikolaj is pretty to look at.

Give the viewers a chance to catch on and they will be hooked on this show, none of the premature canceling of it please...say like what happened with Firefly....

Great opening episodes of a show that looks like it will take off!

Author: MichaelJDentico from United States
9 March 2008

This is one of the most innovative shows on television I've seen in a while, despite the fact that this idea has been attempted before, to no avail. Fox took a big risk when they placed this show into the Monday 9PM time-slot that's been reserved for 24 for its past six seasons. Although, as many of you know, it has been delayed due to the writer's strike. This show is undoubtedly symbolic and eye-gripping. Once you start watching, you can't stop, and it's 45-minute runtime goes by in what seems like ten minutes. The lead is solid as John Amsterdam, and even though you can detect a slight Irish accent on him, it adds to the "everyman, been everywhere, done everything" part that he has to play. On an audience level, one has to think what it must be like to live for 400 years, with virtually no risk of mortality. That is, unless you find your true love. John is depicted as the idealistic everyman, since he's lived so long (born in the 17th century (the 1600's)), he's been able to pick up every skill and the knowledge of a genius. A homicide detective, John's experience has endowed him with an impeccable instinct and sharp mind, hence he is able to quickly solve crimes that would otherwise lead fellow investigators to dead ends or mistrials. Although only a handful of people know his secret, he sometimes lets slip facts that he shouldn't know about personally to others. For example:

"This bar used to be a speakeasy during the prohibition."

"How would you know that?"

"...I used to drink here..."

With that said, I think this is one of the shows that is worth watching these days. You can catch it on Fox, Monday at 9/8c. If you don't watch TV, you can also catch each episode as they're added on the fox website, under fox-on-demand.

Solid Pilot

Author: subliminal_flux from United States
4 March 2008

Fox's new series shows some promise. It's got a potent mix of crime, mystery, drama, and even wit, that could be something really good, if given the chance. I'm sure the topic of a man who has lived for many centuries is not new, its problem is that, as far as I know, it hasn't worked on screen yet. I've read countless tales of such people, yet thinking back, I really cant picture it as a film or show. Perhaps this "New Amsterdam" can make it work, its got ability to anyway.

On a side note, I'm liking the cast. I just wish I can pronounce their names. Im interested to see what Zuleikah Robinson can bring to the show, though she's only listed to be showing in 2 episodes by IMDb.com, i hope thats not all. You might recognize her from the HBO series, Rome.

New Amsterdamn is NOT Another Highlander

Author: tjroseman from United States
15 April 2008

I think it's too easy to say NA is similar to "Highlander," simply because its lead character is immortal. While McLeod cannot die unless beheaded, he, and his fellow immortal Nick Knight, are immortal primarily defined by their supernatural natures. The great appeal of John Amsterdam (or York, or Dutch, or any of his other aliases) is that he is a relatively ordinary man who, by virtue of having lived in New York since the 17th century, has learned much and experienced more. None of us is likely to picture ourselves as McLeod or Knight, but practically anyone can imagine that given the right circumstances, we could be John Amsterdam. He is extremely human, not at all superhuman....except for that one thing. He cannot die, not until he finds and commits to The One. It is refreshing to find a sci-fi story framed in a police setting in which the crimes are the least interesting parts of the hour we spend with him. We want to see more of John with his son, Omar. We want to go back into his past. Unfortunately, I at least have no desire to see him further his relationship with the woman he believes is The One.

Rehash of Highlander

Author: acidjazz99 from United States
4 March 2008

Once again one of the major networks has taken an original idea (either from cable, from over seas, or from an earlier syndicated show) and rehashed it as a "new" series. "New Amsterdam" is basically "The Highlander" without the sword play and euro-babes.

The lead character is essentially an immortal who was given the gift of immortality by a tribe of native Americans he tried to save from a massacre in the 17th century. He has one caveat to his immortality. When he finds the love of his life he will become mortal and be able to die. It's not clear whether he will drop dead on the spot when he finds her. While chasing a perp, he sees a woman coming off a subway train and has a heart attack and "dies" only to be resurrected again in the morgue. So it seems that this woman (a doctor who tried to save him on the subway platform) will eventually become his love interest on the show.

As in "The Highlander" the show features numerous flashbacks to the lead characters past few centuries on earth. He also runs into people who knew him decades earlier ("don't I know you?")

He also has a sidekick named Omar who knows his secret and gives him advice. Omar is the lead character's Joe Dawson (Duncan's watcher/mentor on "The Highlander".)

In the preview to the next episode they do a tongue-in-cheek reference to "The Highlander." A little boy asks the lead character what would happen if his head was cut off (which is the only way the immortals on "The Highlander" can be killed.) He pauses and says something to the effect of "that has never happened."

Will I watch the show? Probably, as I don't have cable, the only alternatives on Tuesday are "Big Brother", "The Biggest Loser", "According to Jim", and PBS. So unless they move it to another night I will probably watch it.

Hmmm! They seem to have moved the show to Thursdays at 8:00 (central) up against "Lost" and "CSI." Who is the brain trust that decided on this schedule? If they really want to give this show a chance, they should find a more friendly time slot. They basically have pitted a rehashed sci-fi/fantasy show against two already established sci-fi (yes, I really consider CSI sci-fi) juggernauts. The Tuesday time slot would work better for this show. It would be up against 2 reality shows and a lame sit-com. I'm just saying.

Down to earth and close to the streets

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
22 February 2015

The premise for this was great and I hoped there would be more, but since the eight episodes in 2007/2008 nothing more came, so it was a short lived series and have now been overtaken by a new series with much the same premise "forever", it is not a detective like in this one, but a coroner acting like a detective.

The reason I like this series was the fact that there could be and was in the eight episodes the back and forth in time, the series would have the possibility to have episodes that showed more of past time, then the present and that could be quit cool.

It was a very nice down to earth and close to the streets kind of police series, the acting worked and would have made it an okay series to watch all-in-all.

Cool premise, but acting/stories are just 'ok' ...

Author: vram22 from United States
31 March 2008

This show started off sounding great, but its only real strength seems to lie in the novelty aspect of the lead character. The acting and stories are a bit soft.

The show is about a 400 year old man who doesn't seem to age past his 30s. He's a police detective in New York and is destined to immortality until a particular circumstance arises.

OK - that sounds pretty cool. It was totally cool until we learn that the special condition was that he won't regain his mortality until he "weds" his one true love ("their souls are wed"). That sounds a bit cheesy.

Another issue is that the episodes aren't very memorable. The only interesting parts are bits that involve his immortality (his children, his past, etc). I can recall those little snippets, but can hardly remember the previous week's episode. The story-telling isn't very compelling.

If you're a sci-fi/fantasy fan, check out an episode or two and see what you think. If you're like me, it's worth watching, but just barely. If you're only in the market for an all-around good TV show, look elsewhere.