IMDb > Louis C.K.: Shameless (2007) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Louis C.K.: Shameless (TV) More at IMDbPro »

You MUST see this show!

Author: The Technology Teddy-Bear from Baltimore, MD
14 January 2007

I've heard about, of, and from Loius C.K. on numerous occasions in the past from his work as writer and performer on various talk shows and his own shows and movies, but really hadn't paid much attention, other than enjoying the results of his behind the scenes work and seeing him perform occasionally.

His work on "Shameless" is exceptional. Vulgar and potentially offensive to those who only look skin deep, but for those who hunt for true talent and brilliance regardless of the wrapping it's contained in will LOVE this incredible performance.

I kept thinking of the notion of "fantasy" in so many of his stories and personal anecdotes, most of which are obviously as false as Phyllis Diller's face, but the delight with which Loius paints these pictures is absolutely mesmerizing. I found myself almost hypnotized by a twisted weave of stories that seemed to marry "40 Year Old Virgin" with "Pulp Fiction". As profane as some of his material is, it always seems "tasteful" and simply brilliant.

If you missed it tonight, watch it on HBO On Demand whenever you want beginning on Monday.

Funniest stand-up special since Chris Rock: Never Scared

Author: Christopher Smith
1 February 2007

It's hard to think of a more underrated entertainer than Louis CK. The multi-talented writer/director/comic/actor, best known for his work with Chris Rock, has been a driving force for the state of comedy for over a decade. In a perfect world, or even a decent one, Louis CK would be as big as Chris Rock. Unfortunately, a little unfunny frat-boy by the name of Dane Cook stole some of his best material, and legion of drunken college students who worship Cook helped make him the celebrity he is today. If I were Louis CK, I'd be taking legal action, but Louis is smart enough to let it go, and continue coming up with new, funnier material. That better material is prominently featured in 'Shameless', one of the few stand-up specials that have truly left me crying from how much I laughed. Like George Carlin, Louis CK has the ability to show that anything, no matter how mean-spirited or dark, has the capacity to be funny, if not hilarious. He also has the type of brutal honesty that the popular comedians of today lack. He's not afraid to talk about any aspect of his personal life. His humor is frank, original, and daring. 'Shameless' is a must-see for anyone with an interest in comedy. 10/10

Louis did it again!

Author: Long Dong from California
17 January 2007

I watched his previous two specials, they are all funny as well, but this one started a little slow, plus his canceled TV show "Lucky Louis" made me a little nervous, perhaps he is slipping a little? No such luck, said Louis, 5 more minutes, he got into his new material about "Duck Vaginas", "Hating people in post office", "Bag of dicks", "Having had sex with some pretty chicks and being their bottom", "Most pathetic hand job", "Being fat", "Asshole kid daughter" etc, I found myself laughing out LOUD, almost non-stop, I found myself thinking, "Louis did it again, I got to tell all my friends to watch this! Even my girlfriend who usually does not like vulgar material", this is simply too funny!

Many comics makes me smile or even giggle, and occasionally you got people like Richar Pryor, Bill Costby, or more recently Bill Burr who can make me laugh out loud, but not throughout the show. The kind of HEARTY laughs that shake your entire body violently, you know what I am talking about? That's what this "Shameless" can do to you, what I felt afterwords is a little "shameful" as I suspect some people would feel since most of the material is dirty and offbeat, you almost feel a cringe as you laugh at it, but you just can't help it.

It is simply a, to use a cliché, "Must Watch".

Hysterical

Author: kiramcc from United States
15 January 2007

Most comedy evokes a smirk from me. I actually laughed out loud at this entire show. I know a lot of people will relate to his stories even if they don't admit it! I would love to order it on DVD and send it to all of my friends. Yes, the humor is vulgar, but, at the same time it is real life. I didn't realize, at first, that this was the same guy from Lucky Louie. Now, I can't believe he doesn't have more of an opportunity to shine on that program. Maybe, I just think he is funnier talking out right about the fleeting thoughts that cross your mind. His style reminds me of an "R-rated" Bill Cosby. His depiction of events enabled me to visualize exactly what he was saying. Watch this show!

"Tell your girl friend I said thanks."

Author: MairegChernet (mchernet15@gmail.com) from United States
16 March 2008

I've watched many stand-up specials and Louis C.K. has to be one of the best ones. Prior to this special, I never really got exposed to Louis' works. And folks this man knows comedy. His jokes were sassy and pretty much didn't care for what people might feel about them. And that's what makes Louis' jokes funny. His special is called "shameless" for a reason. the guy had no shame on talking about stuff that a normal person might be shameful to talk about.

I couldn't stop laughing at the jokes and I mean that literally, in fact i missed some of the jokes 'cause i was still laughing at the one that came before it. Outrageous and hilarious special. hope to see a second special soon. kudos for Louis for his effort.

The quintessential comedian and cynic of modern times

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
18 October 2013

Louis C.K. is probably the funniest comedian working today in my eyes. He harps on the idiocies of life in a refreshingly pessimistic, cynical way, and his self-deprecating comedy hits close-to-home for me. C.K.'s standup special Chewed Up is one of the funniest stand up specials of recent years, and his followup specials have consistently performed above average in quality. However, Louis C.K.: Shameless may be his weakest installment, although still able to provide capable entertainment for fifty-five minutes. C.K. seems to get too wrapped up in mean-spirited humor in this one, talking about how he'd like to sometimes punch his daughter in the face because of the obscure, often disgusting things she does since she's very young. This kind of humor can become grating and rather tasteless after a while. There is still plenty of fun to be had when C.K. zealously goes off on such topics as marriage, sex, and growing old, which would be depressingly typical topics for comedians if C.K. wasn't so committed and talented in terms of making them relatable. He has a way of making his cold, cynicism click with the audience, which is difficult to do. He's the kind of comedian that can turn a room full of optimists into a room where two-thirds of the population are realists.

Starring: Louis C.K.. Directed by: Steven J. Santos.

sharpest writing around

Author: SnoopyStyle
21 December 2015

Louis C.K. does one of his specials for HBO. He's 39 living in NYC with his family. It's got his highly inappropriate writing style. It's masturbating and his family, and sometimes it's both masturbating and his family.

The jokes are a tub of duck vaginas, hating people, bumper sticker "Tell your girlfriend I said thanks", bag of dicks, masturbating his 11 year old best friend and his daughter is a real dick.

This is really sharp writing. He is relentless and he's a solid performer. He is so lovable that his vulgarity is actually endearing. I just love his amiable nature.

Not that great

Author: DNRchist from Netherlands
5 December 2012

I had never heard of Louis C.K. before. After reading some reviews and seeing the rating here, I became curious about this guy.

I thoroughly enjoy some good old stand up comedy, but even though I had to laugh at some of the jokes in this show, I just wasn't that impressed. I also thought he used the word "f*ck" when there was no need. I do enjoy George Carlin, Jim Jeffries and Ricky Gervais, and I realise they curse a lot too. The difference is that, it seemed to me, Louis sometimes used curse words just for the sake of it.

His material was alright, but definitely not amazing. I think there are some far better comedians out there.