IMDb > "The Bill Engvall Show" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Bill Engvall Show" More at IMDbPro »

Great Family Show!

Author: soonbadon from United States
15 February 2010

Our family REALLY enjoyed this show! It's so hard to find something we can all watch together as a family but this show was GREAT!!!! It's too bad they don't have more shows like it on TV. It was funny and the humor was clean - we didn't have to worry about the teenagers or the younger kids watching. We're all sorry to see that it was canceled. I hope to see more of Bill Engvall, Nancy Travis and the rest of the cast in the very near future. (I don't really have anything else to say but it won't let me send my review until I have a minimum of ten lines so now I'm just trying to write things to fill the space. Sorry - I didn't realize I would have to write so much!)

"IT" survived for 3 seasons?!

Author: Bad Swon from Italy
18 February 2015

Oh Dear Lord! Here's what bothers me most in a long (so very long) list of complaints: this guy is supposed to be a therapist! A caveman would have more sensitivity to people's problems in the 21st century than this guy! What is up with the screenplay? Just plain awful. Bill Engvall's acting is ridiculous. He only has ONE expression for any emotion: and guess what? It's NOT funny. The only reason I watched ALL 3 SEASONS of this garbage is Jennifer Lawrence; I thought: "hey I love J. Law's acting, how bad can the show be, right?" The fact that I almost got to the point of quitting J. Law on screen is a testament to how atrocious this "thing" is. Do not watch it! Unless you just have to because Jennifer Lawrence is in it (That's my reason anyway).

I'm trying to like it, I really am!

Author: BeDrinkable from United States
12 June 2008

Bill Engvall is one of those comedians that I pause for, whenever I see him. Which is why, when I spotted a television show with him starring, I decided to give it a shot.

From almost the first line, I was not impressed. And things just went from bad to worse. The jokes are not just flat, they're stale. He has problems communicating with his wife ... just like Dick Van Dyke! His kids don't listen to him, but he's proved right in the end ... just like Bill Cosby! His work keeps him away from home ... just like, eh, you get the idea. the jokes are recycled, the story lines are recycled, and the characters are recycled.

Now, I don't necessarily blame Mr. Engvall for most of this. TV after all, has a long history of pulling the teeth from comics to make them palatable for the general public. I was quite looking forward to the George Lopez Show, for example, only to be similarly disappointed. But frankly, based on the utter blandness of this show, I have to wonder, just what did Engvall fight for? Anything? Oh, and I gave this two stars instead of one because Nancy Travis is worth watching.

It wasn't that bad....

Author: Mudbug711 from United States
6 October 2009

Wow.... You know what??? If you go, and do some research.... such as looking at most sitcoms of today, that are NOT centered around sex, drinking, sex, sluts, sex, violence, sex, beer, sex, racial stereotypes, sex, senseless action scenes, sex, bimbos, sex, making fun of handicaps, sex, toilet humor, sex, love triangles, sex, drugs, sex, more bimbo sluts, sex, pregnancies, sex, and boring drama.... oh, did I mention sex???? You will easily see that darn near majority of the reviewers will cry, moan, and complain about the same way. By saying that it was boring, stale, and old. Stick to the Secret Life of an American Teenager, or Desperate Housewives, where everything is about backstabbing, betrayals, and (that word again) sex. We have all been consumed with being practically immoral, and our standards as a whole have sunk pretty low. A show that is positive in any way gets bashed. Being good is a bad thing, now. And, ask yourself, why is that??? You cannot answer it, can you??? For the folks, who enjoy shows like this, you can either act like you don't, or stand up for having some guts, or nuts. This show was actually just average, I enjoyed it more, for trying to show just an average, everyday family, with real-life situations. Bill was funny, and Nancy was awesome. Now, with Tim Meadows, he was great. Now for the folks who did not like the show, you can celebrate, and rejoice, the show has been canceled. Now, you can get back to your lessons in backstabbing, bribery, adultery, teen pregnancies, deviant marriages, and dull boring drama B.S. This was a decently good show, too bad it is now gone. Maybe Hank, will be just as good.

Pretty Offensive

Author: ValaBlack from Canada
4 January 2014

I know people talk about how it's great to see a show that isn't centered around sex - and I agree with that one point, that it would be great, if the show didn't seem to be fueled by sexism and racism.

I only watched this show because I love Jennifer Lawrence, and I found after a few full episodes, I had to start scanning through and mostly just watching her scenes. Even then, it was disappointing to see her have to deliver such terrible writing.

It was so predictable and incredibly offensive that themes of male dominance and women's place being in the home were consistently perpetuated and the kids were pretty spoiled much of the time. It was always father-knows-best and mother never being given credit for all she does. Similarly, there was talk about how Bill needed to show his power or he would lose it altogether, rather than equality in relationships and mutual partnership.

It was also extremely problematic to have an episode which basically promotes child maltreatment as acceptable if used to teach some sort of lesson. The episode in which the kids refused to clean the garage unless paid or rewarded (I will grant you this furthers my point of them being written as fairly spoiled), so Bill decides to revoke all of their privileges - which he states to include both food and light, among other things. These are not privileges, and what astounded me was that he brought all the food to their bedroom so the kids couldn't even make their own dinners. I suppose I could have let it go if they were at least given the option to fend for themselves, but to deny basic human necessities for survival is not punishment - it's abuse. I know it's a TV show, but to reinforce the notion that such treatment is acceptable under any means is absolutely abhorrent.

And those are just a few examples of why I take issue with this show. I appreciate some people liking it, but honestly, Jennifer was the only redeeming factor for me, and had she not been part of it, I certainly would never have continued watching past the first five minutes, if at all.

Another Great Show That Was Cancelled Too Soon!

Author: Ben Dover from United States
22 November 2010

Bill Engvall is one of my all-time favorite comedians, and this show was a fantastic showcase of his sarcastic down-home humor from his comedy albums (and it was a million times better than his buddy Jeff Foxworthy's self-titled mid-90's sitcom on ABC & NBC). What was great about this show is that it didn't resort to toilet humor, excessive profanity, and sexual innuendo like most modern "sitcoms" that are cluttering the airwaves today, and it was a fantastic alternative to the reality garbage on TV. TBS should be ashamed for pulling the plug on such an awesome show, and hopefully Warner Bros. will put the remaining episodes on DVD soon.

The Worst Sitcom Ever

Author: walleybob from United States
2 December 2007

I watched the First 3 episodes, I think, It is not funny At all. The audience, if there is one, never laughed, I never laughed. If there were one, It must of been a bunch of kidnapped children. I can't stand BillEngvall. The wife is a _____. The daughter is so dumb. The teenage boy is gay. The little kid is a brat. They all must of needed jobs really badly. Just poor writers and directors and no good actors. I am shocked it has been announced for a second season. That is all it will last hopefully.This show should down in the trash for good.

As a hater, I give this show a 1/10. It deserves it. If I was TBS, I would just cut my self.

Pretty darn good.

Author: Batkid1 from United States
9 September 2007

Let's face it. Bill and the other guys from the Blue Collar gang aren't the most profane comics out there, but that's basically the

genius of their entire humor.

Bill can be dead hilarious without going over the top and having to be off-color too many times.

Anyway, it's just another family drama that's pretty well written and is guaranteed to get a couple of laughs out of you. None of the actors seem out of place here and it's good to see that other comedians Tim Meadows and Nancy Travis are still in the business.

Overall, it's a pretty good sitcom to watch along w/ re-runs of "Everyone Loves Raymond," "Friends" and "Frasier."

So I also hope that this gets renewed for a second season & if it doesn't then that's TBS/TNT cable company's loss because this is hilarious.

Pretty good show

Author: Gabriel Aguilar from United States
22 August 2009

I cant understand why some people would put this show down its a very funny show maybe some people are to blind to see that.The acting is pretty good,I can identify with each actor,I know there personalities.Not a lot of people can identify with a blue collar other words the show is great in my book.At the start i didn't even think that this show was that great but after watching a couple of episodes i realized what this "Bill Engvall" was all about.I give this show my best wishes and hopefully it will stay on the air on TBS and maybe even expand to other T.V networks.Give this show a chance you might like it you just have to really pay attention.

One of our favorite shows!

Author: step88 from United States
14 July 2009

Our family is watching reruns now waiting for the new season of The Bill Engvall show this week, and we are enjoying them just as much the 2nd time around! We all love this show, and never go through a show without a good laugh! The family has such good relationships with each other and it is one of the few "family friendly" shows any more. It is clever & always comes up with a different premise each week. The relationships are fairly believable, though somewhat exaggerated. Paul is our favorite character - he is hilarious. Bill and his wife are also very good. The 3 kids are all completely different from each other. There is a very cute teenage girl, a little brother that is a "brain" and another brother who is the opposite of a brain...We highly recommend this show. The world would be a better place. We are so glad it is on for another season and hope the exposure and popularity builds so it can continue on. Give it a try!